PDA

View Full Version : Newton wins 21-0 over Bridge City

Old Cardinal
09-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Tonight Newton showed why they ranked in the top 5 teams in Texas, and why they are ranked as the best Division II team. They led 14-0 at halftime and then scored with 12 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Newton is an excellent football team. I can't wait to see them play Jasper. That truly will be one of the top 3A games this year. For Bridge City, they played hard and just gave up some big plays while not producing their on characteristic big plays. Their only consolation is that they know they are a 3 touchdowns away from a probable 3A State Championship team. Can Newton, maintain that momentum? I think they can. For Bridge City a young defensive line and young offensive line started to come around in the second half. That half looked a little more like a quality ballgame for them.

98Eagle
09-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Newtons offense played very sloppy with several fumbles. Their Defense was superb, in the 2nd half the Cardinals scrapped together very few positive yards. The "College Boy" Matt Peebles didnt look like someone who is capable of going to any college in the country. The Eagles blew a lot of plays after gaining positive yards, and racked up a lot of penalties. Overall not a bad win for a bunch of pulpwood hauling hicks.

twinkle
09-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the update, old card...

I got to watch a great game tonight...it wasn't 3A, but 2A. Match up between #3 Hemphill and #8 Corrigan-Camden. Hemphill won 30-26 in a nail biter. Last quarter, Hemphill was down 23-26, with 5 minutes left in the game. They scored with 3 minutes left and then intercepted the ball with less than 2 minutes on the clock. It was AWESOME. I love high school football.

Chris Hart
09-20-2002, 11:18 PM
That is about how I figured it would go, nothing wrong with losing to Newton.Are they ever going to allow a point or are they going to upstage Daingerfield's old team?

------------------
Big Green Dawg

twinkle
09-20-2002, 11:20 PM
I think Jasper was open tonight...wonder how many dawgs were in that house? lol.

The One
09-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Great win for Newton. Where is that Jasper/Newton game going to be at? Definatley game of the year to this point!

98Eagle
09-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Jasper and Newton will face off in Jasper on October 18th.

3ABirdMan
09-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Congrats to BOTH teams!

Newton played great D, swarming to the ball with "reckless abondon", showing why they haven't been scored on this season. Every player on the field is a capable opponent who's not afraid to hit. Great Job, Eagles.

BC got a free pass to the head of the class tonight, to learn a few lessons. They got to see a team of the caliber of the Sinton team that knocked us out last year, but this time we have a chance to learn from it (instead of going home to turn in pads), and apply that knowledge for the rest of the seaon. BC actually has a passing game ( http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gifYEAH!!!), and if not for 2 dropped balls, the score could have easily been 14-14.

All-in-all, though it was a loss, it should show our younger, inexperienced kids that they can play, and should only build confidence. Way more positives for BC than negatives.

Best of luck to the Newton Eagles for the remaining season - Now that this game is behind us, I'm one your biggest fans! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

twinkle
09-20-2002, 11:48 PM
How did the sophomore Etheridge do tonight?

3A Roy
09-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Old Cardinal,
Your team looked really promising tonight. They will have a great season and I wish the Cards the best of luck.

Newton Fan
09-21-2002, 12:42 PM
This game had to be the most dropped balls and fumbles from two teams that I have seen in a while. Newton fumbled many times and BC dropped two long passes that hit the numbers.

Field was wet, humidity was high and the ball must have been very slippery last night.

Next Newton challenge -- Jasper is gonna be tough! Don't discount them any way shape or form, they are gunning for some birdmeat!

mojjo_1
09-21-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm sure that most of the Jasper coaching staff was scouting that game. The Jasper-Newton game will sell out. Get there early parking is terrible. I expect the biggest crowd ever in the doghouse. This is a hard game not to be looking towards. Newton had a big win last night. Both teams need to stay focused. Jasper has Strake Jesuit,Smiley and Kirbyville. Newton has Nacogdoches,Kelly and Woodville.

Old Cardinal
09-21-2002, 01:20 PM
3A Roy, Best of luck to Newton in District! I believe that Newton can make it to the Jasper game without gaving a point scored on them. Bridge City, had to learn a lot last night, going against an offense and defense of that caliber is just what they needed. I felt sorry for Matt Peebles last night, having 3 men met him at the line on every play, and yet Newton had the speed to recover if someone else were carrying the ball. Newton, learned something too, last night, twice BC burned them with speedy split-outs- getting way behind the Eagle secondary. Knight hit them perfectly on those long TD passes. Both well thrown balls were dropped by Thomas Hamrick and Jeremy Bird; however, on a dry field that would have made the ballgame a lot more interesting. Good luck in the Playoffs and good luck against Jasper.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 21, 2002).]

3A Roy
09-21-2002, 01:25 PM
No doubt BC was a great test for Newton also. The Cards will go deep into the D1 playoffs. The score would have been closer had those two recievers caught those two long passes when they were wide open. Playing this game early in the season will help both teams tremendously.