PDA

View Full Version : War

kepdawg
01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
What was World War I called before World War II happened? When did they start being called World War I and World War II?

DDBooger
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What was World War I called before World War II happened? When did they start being called World War I and World War II? the war to end all wars (of course it didn't) or the Great War. (not so great).

LH Panther Mom
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Man, I thought this was going to be a song thread & I was prepared to sing along. :p

War.....ugh
What is it good for? ;)

Highschoolfan78
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
trivia fact... Some Europeans fighting in World War I were still using bows and arrows at the beginning of the war, The French were wearing the same uniform design as they did at Waterloo, the first planes had the gun mounted behind the propeller(which didn't work well), and the pilots' life expectancy was 2 weeks.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
, the first planes had the gun mounted behind the propeller(which didn't work well), and the pilots' life expectancy was 2 weeks.

some WII planes had that as well..it was synchronized with the turn of the rotar

Phil C
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
If you ever watch movies made in the 30s that talk about WW1 it is referred to as "the" war.

IHStangFan
01-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
some WII planes had that as well..it was synchronized with the turn of the rotar yup...the trigger mech. was attached to the crankshaft in the engine and timed so that it would only fire when the prop was horizontal and not in the line of fire. :) So...I'm wondering....rate of fire had to be affected by the engine's RPM's correct?

WylieBulldog92
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Man, I thought this was going to be a song thread & I was prepared to sing along. :p

War.....ugh
What is it good for? ;)
Had me too, i thought it was the card game because Kep started it.

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup...the trigger mech. was attached to the crankshaft in the engine and timed so that it would only fire when the prop was horizontal and not in the line of fire. :) So...I'm wondering....rate of fire had to be affected by the engine's RPM's correct?

The first planes mounting MGs had "deflector" plates installed on the inside of the props and they just kept the MG from sawing up the props.

Or... they were mounted on the upper wing.. ala an SE.5

I think Fokker (of Holland) developed the first interrupter gear setup for doing it right... and yeah, RPMs dictated rate of fire. (although I believe it wasn't a direct link, rather geared down).

Been a while since I read any on the great war... although PBS had a fantastic seris on it... I think the History Channel has a great one running now.