PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Pats to franchise Cassel

Astrosdawg07
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444)

The New England Patriots have decided to ensure that quarterback Matt Cassel won't be an unrestricted free agent, as scheduled in March.

Sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the Patriots will use a franchise tag on Cassel that will give the team two options: Trade him if all goes well with Tom Brady's rehabilitation from a knee injury or keep him because all is not well with Brady.

The Patriots' intention to franchise Cassel was first reported by the National Football Post.

That would mean the Patriots would have about $29 million in salary cap space tied up in two quarterbacks, with Brady earning almost $15 million and Cassel guaranteed over $14 million.

However, the cap jumps to $123 million per team, which gives the Patriots $94 million to manage the rest of their roster.

"That's a smart move. You don't want to go into a season with uncertainty at that position," Patriots safety Rodney Harrison told ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "We figure Brady is going to be all right, but it always helps to have two great QBs."

PPHSfan
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Cassel is living proof that you don't have to be a starter at USC to make it in the League. The Trojans are the deepest team in College Football even if they are hated by everyone outside of Hollywood.:D

DDBooger
01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Cassel is living proof that you don't have to be a starter at USC to make it in the League. The Trojans are the deepest team in College Football even if they are hated by everyone outside of Hollywood.:D i suppose they just had the wrong combination of studs on the field the last few years.

Sweetwater Red
01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Cassel is living proof that you don't have to be a starter at USC to make it in the League. The Trojans are the deepest team in College Football even if they are hated by everyone outside of Hollywood.:D

Cassell is proof that anyone can QB the Patriots. Just like anyone
could've been a Pro Bowl RB in Denver under Shanahan.:thinking:

JR2004
01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Cassell is proof that anyone can QB the Patriots.

But can he QB the Lions? :thinking:

PPHSfan
01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i suppose they just had the wrong combination of studs on the field the last few years.

Yeah all of those 13-1 seasons are just horrible.

DDBooger
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah all of those 13-1 seasons are just horrible.
losses to Stanford and Oregon st make it look so to the BCS...that many studs every year, 1 BCS championship.

Sweetwater Red
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
But can he QB the Lions? :thinking:

I meant he is a product of the system. Just as any RB that
Shanahan pulled off the street rushed for 1000+ yds. Does
anyone remember when Terrell Davis was the next Barry Sanders.:doh:

JR2004
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I meant he is a product of the system. Just as any RB that
Shanahan pulled off the street rushed for 1000+ yds. Does
anyone remember when Terrell Davis was the next Barry Sanders.:doh:

I understood what you meant Red. I'm just assuming that the Lions will do something silly and acquire him...lol.

Sweetwater Red
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I understood what you meant Red. I'm just assuming that the Lions will do something silly and acquire him...lol.

Hopefully Detroit's new GM is keeping his fingers crossed in the hopes
that Bradford comes out early. He can't possibly be a bigger
bust than everyone from Joey Harrington and going all the way
back to Andre Ware.