PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Recruiting Info (from X15-MEM)

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
RECRUITING OUTLINE

The Who, What, When and How:

Parents – Off the Field Work.
Create a recruiting plan.(1)
Have a realistic evaluation of your child’s talent. (1)
Know your local colleges, levels of play and there respective coaches. (2)
Schedule specialized training but do not overspend.
Schedule open combines during of SO & JR year.
Schedule one day camps during summer of SO & JR year.
Register with the NCAA clearing house.
Register for the SAT and/or ACT spring of JR year.
Schedule Unofficial visits during JR & SR year. (3)
Create an online profile and post information. (2)
File online questionnaires with colleges of interest.
Retake SAT and/or ACT fall of SR year.
Retake SAT and/or ACT if necessary.
Send highlight video from JR year to colleges expressing interest.
Send highlight video from SR year to colleges you have visited and contacted.
Support and reinforce your student athlete to excel at all levels.
Assist with returning calls and requests recruiters’ evaluation.

Student Athlete – Work on the Field and Work off the Field.
Work on size, speed, quickness and knowledge.
Keep high academic standards and work on communication skills.
Follow up highlight video with letter expressing desire to play for each college.
Returns calls and is respectful to recruiting coaches.

High School Coaches – Work on the Field and Work off the field.
Teach the student athlete about competition, sportsmanship and there sport.
Respond to college coaches’ request for player evaluations.
Create highlight films as required.
Follow up with player information and schedule press releases.

College Coaches – Player Evaluation
Evaluates film and online profiles from JR and/or SR year.
Evaluates academic, leadership and community values.
Determines players ability to mesh into there scheme.
Offers official visits to prospective recruits.
Makes a scholarship offer to those who meet or exceed the above criteria.

(1) Contact a professional and/or your high school coach for assistance. These services can cost from $0 to many thousands depending on which route you choose.

NAME WEBSITE EMAIL
Randy Rodgers randyrodgersrecruiting.com randy@randyrodgers.com

(2) Create a database or spreadsheet for colleges in your area of interest and any other colleges of interest. The following websites have most of the information required but I would suggest going to each colleges sport specific website and file the online recruiting profile. You can also contact colleges of interest and find out who the Area Recruiter is for your location so you can communicate with him or her directly.

www.berecruited.com-----Best for the $ expended, user friendly and very informational

www.collegecoaches.net-----Very Good for the $ expended, choice of many colleges

www.gobigrecruiting.com-----OK for the $ expended

(3) This can be great fun for you and your student athlete without a lot of expense incurred by you the parent. You have to request tickets for games one to two weeks in advance and are only available through the home team and there recruiting office. Most of these visits start two to three hours before the game and are made up of three to four parts 1) an informational meet and greet, 2) a catered meal which you pay for ~$8pp, 3) attend the football game, 4) meet the players after the game. Very few have part 4 and for the men only since it takes place in the locker room.

Other Informational Sites:

www.recruiting-101.com

www.ncsasports.org

www.collegeboard.com

www.actstudent.org

www.ncaaclearinghouse.net

Just for your information during this process we spent the following: Is this worth a Scholarship to you?

Specialized Training $400 (Speed Training 25 1.5 hour sessions)Nike Combine (2) $0 (Dallas and Houston)
One Day Camps $175 (5 camps)
Unofficial Visits $100 (5 - 3 Div IA, 1 Div IAA and 1 Div III)
Travel/Food/Misc $625
Professional Eval. $95 (Randy Rodgers)
Websites $125 (See Sites Noted Above)

TOTAL $1520

LH Panther Mom
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
bump

I just wanted to add that attending a Randy Rodgers Recruiting seminar and having him evaluate my son's highlight dvd & provide feedback on his talents, etc was invaluable. I have also been reading the recruiting-101 website for a year or more and have learned a LOT from it.

TRENCHES06
01-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Sounds like great info.

How successful was your son with this?

LH Panther Mom
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Sounds like great info.

How successful was your son with this?
Mostly I was just passing on info mentioned by X15-MEM last week. The camps we have done the last couple of years, and had the dvd (highlight & full game) evaluated. We didn't do the specialized training or pay for any of the website services.

Luckily, my husband has been able to take the plays that the coach provided, and trim to put together the highlights & include the full game. (Thanks, ETB for the full-game reminder because yes, coaches do want that.)

The recruiting process can be overwhelming, especially if you don't know what to expect or where to look for info.

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
It is very exciting and heady but also leaves you, the parent, and the prospect with a lot of unanswered questions. Be prepared to be frustrated, confused and somewhat disgruntled with the whole process.

It is a very eduational experience.

LH Panther Mom
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Be prepared to be frustrated, confused and somewhat disgruntled with the whole process.
Most definitely agreed!

Rocket Dad
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
It will not be that frustrating if you let the college and high school coaches handle 98% of the recruitting process. Ask questions, be available, but do not get in the way and be overbearing. These people know what they're doing, been going on for years and years.

LH Panther Mom
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
It will not be that frustrating if you let the college and high school coaches handle 98% of the recruitting process. Ask questions, be available, but do not get in the way and be overbearing. These people know what they're doing, been going on for years and years.
It's the 2% that is the frustrating part!

eagles_victory
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
bump

I just wanted to add that attending a Randy Rodgers Recruiting seminar and having him evaluate my son's highlight dvd & provide feedback on his talents, etc was invaluable. I have also been reading the recruiting-101 website for a year or more and have learned a LOT from it. Wow Randy Rodgers this guy does it all:clap:

Farmersfan
01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
[B]RECRUITING OUTLINE

The Who, What, When and How:

Parents – Off the Field Work.
Create a recruiting plan.(1)
Have a realistic evaluation of your child’s talent. (1)
Know your local colleges, levels of play and there respective coaches. (2)
Schedule specialized training but do not overspend.
Schedule open combines during of SO & JR year.
Schedule one day camps during summer of SO & JR year.
Register with the NCAA clearing house.
Register for the SAT and/or ACT spring of JR year.
Schedule Unofficial visits during JR & SR year. (3)
Create an online profile and post information. (2)
File online questionnaires with colleges of interest.
Retake SAT and/or ACT fall of SR year.
Retake SAT and/or ACT if necessary.
Send highlight video from JR year to colleges expressing interest.
Send highlight video from SR year to colleges you have visited and contacted.
Support and reinforce your student athlete to excel at all levels.
Assist with returning calls and requests recruiters’ evaluation.

"Have a realistic evaluation of your child’s talent. (1)"

Worth repeating...........

waterboy
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Oops! Sorry! I thought this was a thread on tips to recruit players to your high school!:doh:

Sorry! Carry on.:D

PPHSfan
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Make sure your son does not get "burned out" by the whole process. This can be very overwhelming to a teenager. Make sure and let them be a kid every now and then, or they will get sick of football and all of the adults that think they know more about what your son wants than he does. This is very important. It is very easy to grow tired of something that you love and has consumed you for ten years of your life.

X15-MEM
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting the info 3A, tried to just do a quick outline to help some parent's in the future. We are pretty close to finished with the process and yes it is frustrating because coaches can't and or don't call you back and give you not only a yea or na but an evaluation of where your son/daughter may be able to contribute at the college level.

As for highlight and game films, we sent a highlight film out about midpoint of this season to a few schools which had expressed some interest and sent a final highlight and game film out after the end of the season to schools where we had some dialog started with the coaches and that expressed sincere interest.

Now that the DI schools are getting all of there commitments in hand the DII schools are finding what's left that fits with there program and doing the same as the DI schools. Many of those will actually sign recruits much after the NSD in February and at that time the DIII schools will fill there roster with the best of the rest.

Right now we are in the DII or DIII catagory, with a great deal of interest from DIII and some interest from DII. If and when we sign or commit will let you all know.

Again hope this information was helpful and would be glad to assist or answer questions anyone may have. I have a database of all the DI, DII and DIII schools in Texas, Head Coaches and phone numbers, Houston Area recruiters name and phone number and also some information from Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

And yes Randy Rodgers was great to work with, honest upfront and inexpensive.

I do think specialized training is important if your child is committed, the training is professional and has a great cost/benefit reward.

ie: We used Texas Acceleration $399 for 26 sessions which comes out to less than $15 per hour for speed, agility and strength training and the results were visible.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by X15-MEM
Again hope this information was helpful and would be glad to assist or answer questions anyone may have. I have a database of all the DI, DII and DIII schools in Texas, Head Coaches and phone numbers, Houston Area recruiters name and phone number and also some information from Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico.
Mine's just an excel spread sheet. :D

What position does your son play? Best of luck!

X15-MEM
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
He played TE in high school but will have to move out to the slot or over to the defensive side of the ball in college. A couple of colleges mentioned putting him at fullback for blocking and pass catching or at strong safety. He doesn't care which position he just wants to continue playing football. Thanks for your interest.

MN95
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Can anyone post the approximate measurables the different levels of colleges look for in height, weight, 40 time, bench, squat, etc........

I hope this question makes sense. I believe a players height/weight/40 and some strength measurements "slot" them for D1,2, or 3 or NAIA. Anyone know what these measurements are?

X15-MEM
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
There are a number of articles at the following website that address the issues you are asking about. Not sure how to find them because I get article emails from them daily.

www.recruiting-101.com

MN95
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
thanks.

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Can anyone post the approximate measurables the different levels of colleges look for in height, weight, 40 time, bench, squat, etc........

I hope this question makes sense. I believe a players height/weight/40 and some strength measurements "slot" them for D1,2, or 3 or NAIA. Anyone know what these measurements are?
It makes perfect sense to me! From our limited experience (OL), for some positions, there's really no difference in the "mold" for D1 or D2 with many schools/recruiting coaches. Some will recruit based on ability and not look so much at height (or other measurable) OR will see the player fit their "slot" in a different position.

Rabid Cougar
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MN95

Ask the Blatniks and the James. The seem to have had the appropriate measurements.

You would be suprised, strength measurement is not as big a deal as height/weight/speed combination.

I_DONT_CARE
01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
WHAT COLLEGE DID YOUR SON GET A SCHOLARSHIP OFFER FROM? :rolleyes: