PDA

View Full Version : Dear ESPN,

jimmyceatworld
01-02-2009, 12:48 AM
After hearing you say numerous times today that USC might be the best team in the nation I must inform you that you're full of it.

Excellent football, don't get me wrong. I have no hate toward the Trojans at all, no vendettas. It's just that if you don't make the national championship you can't be the best team. I know some say it's a flawed system, but regardless it is what it is. You had a shot and you missed it so you can't be the best team this year.

See ESPN, even though USC was ranked #1 in 2003 they weren't the best because they didn't play in the national championship game and therefore can't be "co-champions." That doesn't exist in my mind. I think you and the USC faithful are the only ones that claim such a title.

But back to this year. You may say they're among the best, but "the best" doesn't fly with me. You can compare opponents, stats, and everything else, but the bottom line is that USC is not playing on Jan. 8 so they simply cannot be the best team in the nation or even the second best, imo.

Sincerely,
Jimmy C

trojan37
01-02-2009, 01:04 AM
To me there is and will never be a true national champion in DI football until they come up with a playoff system. Just like the high school playoffs, 2 state champs doesn't fly with me. One more game, just one more game is all I want to see.

ILS1
01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
It does matter is USC finishes 4th or 40th place in the polls. Pete Carroll and the Trojans are gonna try to lay claim to a piece of the NC!!! Like 2 years ago, where they tried to lay claim to a piece of NC all the way back in like 1940's!!! ONLY IN CALIFORNIA!!!!

:D :D :D :D

ASURugger
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
on a side note why in the world do bowls games last an hour or more longer than regular season games? Aren't y'all making enough money already!

Trashman
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
After hearing you say numerous times today that USC might be the best team in the nation I must inform you that you're full of it.

Excellent football, don't get me wrong. I have no hate toward the Trojans at all, no vendettas. It's just that if you don't make the national championship you can't be the best team. I know some say it's a flawed system, but regardless it is what it is. You had a shot and you missed it so you can't be the best team this year.

See ESPN, even though USC was ranked #1 in 2003 they weren't the best because they didn't play in the national championship game and therefore can't be "co-champions." That doesn't exist in my mind. I think you and the USC faithful are the only ones that claim such a title.

But back to this year. You may say they're among the best, but "the best" doesn't fly with me. You can compare opponents, stats, and everything else, but the bottom line is that USC is not playing on Jan. 8 so they simply cannot be the best team in the nation or even the second best, imo.

Sincerely,
Jimmy C

..........and they all said "Amen Brother".:D

waterboy
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I ain't that impressed with USC this year. I think there are at least 5 or 6 teams that would beat them, at least 4 of them spanking them handily. Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, and Texas Tech would school them in my opinion. I think Alabama would beat them, too. No way is USC as good as these 5 teams. Just my opinion.:D

Buckeye1980
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
USC......

U Utterly
S Stupid
C Creatures

coach
01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I ain't that impressed with USC this year. I think there are at least 5 or 6 teams that would beat them, at least 4 of them spanking them handily. Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, and Texas Tech would school them in my opinion. I think Alabama would beat them, too. No way is USC as good as these 5 teams. Just my opinion.:D

you are wrong about tech..usc would kill tech and i think that usc is one of the best 4 maybe 3 teams in the nation either ou, florida, texas and usc all deserve a shot at a national title. and all 4 could beat each other any day of the week. now for ppl to say they deserve to play in the ship this year...no they didnt make it just like texas doesnt and bama and penn state and tech. but i do agree that usc is one of the best teams in football.....they lost to a tough squad in a tough enviroment.

JasperDog94
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by coach
you are wrong about tech..usc would kill tech and i think that usc is one of the best 4 maybe 3 teams in the nation either ou, florida, texas and usc all deserve a shot at a national title. and all 4 could beat each other any day of the week. now for ppl to say they deserve to play in the ship this year...no they didnt make it just like texas doesnt and bama and penn state and tech. but i do agree that usc is one of the best teams in football.....they lost to a tough squad in a tough enviroment. Thus the problem with the system. When you have people voting for the best teams in the nation that don't even watch all the games, then you will always have problems.

coach
01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Thus the problem with the system. When you have people voting for the best teams in the nation that don't even watch all the games, then you will always have problems.

you are right

michaelp23
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
When Pete Carroll was asked after the game if USC deserved to be in the BCS Championship game and if they would've beat OU or Florida he said, "Those are two fine programs, but I don't think anyone could beat the Trojans this year."

All I could think was, you idiot. Someone did beat you! And it was an unranked nobody at that!!

TheDOCTORdre
01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23

All I could think was, you idiot. Someone did beat you! And it was an unranked nobody at that!!

lets not forget tho that the beavers are a great team...how can you forget that amazing bowl victory over Pitt 3-0....in the words of Phil C impressive indeed

goosealaniz
01-03-2009, 01:16 AM
there should be an 8 team playoff... and between all the weeks they can still have bowl games for all of the teams that were not up to snuff that year... thats how i see it... everyone gets what they want... playoffs and bowl games...

trojan37
01-03-2009, 01:17 AM

So do you still think Alabama could take USC?

WylieBulldog92
01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Maybe you should ask about Tech? :)

WTF-82
01-03-2009, 01:53 AM

Sincerely,
Jimmy C

Just thought I would tune you in on something the AP National Champion has nothing to due with BCS title game so actually all the teams like USC,Utah,Flordia,OU,Texas all still have a shot at winning the AP National Championship this is what ESPN is referring to the winner of the Flordia v OU game will win the crystall ball BCS title, but the AP poll is still up for grabs. And honestly Utah is even more deserving than all teams named above. Hope you understand now.

trojan37
01-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
Just thought I would tune you in on something the AP National Champion has nothing to due with BCS title game so actually all the teams like USC,Utah,Flordia,OU,Texas all still have a shot at winning the AP National Championship this is what ESPN is referring to the winner of the Flordia v OU game will win the crystall ball BCS title, but the AP poll is still up for grabs. And honestly Utah is even more deserving than all teams named above. Hope you understand now.

Hey, Utah gets my vote. The only undefeated team in the land. It should be them in a landslide.

Bull Butter
01-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Go Utes!

jimmyceatworld
01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by ***-82

I'm well aware of this fact. I guess what I should have said is being ranked #1 in the AP poll doesn't give you the right to claim you're co-champions, IMO. I'm sorry you didn't think I understand how everything is set up, but hopefully you understand that I have a decent understanding of the same things you understand so very well.

WTF-82
01-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
The NCAA agreed to abide by the BCS system, so it's the only one that counts. The AP decided to still publish their own poll, but it makes no difference. The BCS is the only one that counts, so that gives USC, the greatest team in the universe, ONE national championship.

Well the AP has been crowning the National Champs for a long time. I would take that title anyday.

Who-dun-it!!?
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM

And Utah would definately beat the ol USC bandwaggon...

WTF-82
01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm well aware of this fact. I guess what I should have said is being ranked #1 in the AP poll doesn't give you the right to claim you're co-champions, IMO. I'm sorry you didn't think I understand how everything is set up, but hopefully you understand that I have a decent understanding of the same things you understand so very well.

I understand what you are saying the thing is many teams Nebraska one of the have laid claim to this co champ thing remember Michigan and Nebraska the UN QB frost got up after the win against Tennesee and talk his smooth way to a title polls came out a day later and Nebraska won one of the Polls. This stuff has been going on for a long time. It stinks but If Utah wins the AP I will give them my respect as a National Champ. As will the whole media.

WTF-82
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
And Utah would definately beat the ol USC bandwaggon...

Well since Utah won that big game and beat just as many bowl teams and ranked teams as Flordia and OU and Usc. If I had a vote since Utah won the game against Alabama and looked very good doing it they would get my vote. AP National Title Utes.

I was not on the USC bandwagon but they seem to fall 1 time everyyear but they are always playing the best football in the end they could of won it last year if given the chance and the year before the year they won the AP title game it was LSU and OU in Bcs game that year if given the chance they would of won that title also. If there was a tourney I would hate to draw them they play defense run the ball pass well and are very deep. Would be hard to stop SC the past 6 year if we had some kind of tourney.

waterboy
01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
No. After further review:D , I have come to the conclusion that USC is the #5 team in the country. I don't think they could beat Utah, Florida, Oklahoma, or Texas......definitely not the first three on my list. We'll have to see about the Longhorns after tonight's game. Ohio State could put a damper on my theory.

waterboy
01-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Maybe you should ask about Tech? :)
I wasn't really thinking about how Tech had fallen off after the win over Texas. I don't know what happened to them but they did struggle in their last 3 games. They lost to a very good, and underestimated Ole Miss team, a team that went to Florida and beat the Gators in the Swamp. Still, that doesn't mean that Tech couldn't beat USC head-to-head. I seriously doubt they could now, though.

waterboy
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
No matter what happens in college football there will always be doubts as to who is the best team. That is why they should have a playoff system just like every other division and sport. You could always argue as to which team is best, and have a valid argument for most of the teams in contention, but the fact is we'll never know how these teams will match up head-to-head. Could Utah beat USC? Could Florida beat Utah? Could Oklahoma beat Ole Miss? There are questions like these every year. It's time to implement a true playoff system in college football!

JasperDog94
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I wasn't really thinking about how Tech had fallen off after the win over Texas. I don't know what happened to them but they did struggle in their last 3 games. Tech got Texas at home and at the end of a brutal schedule for the Longhorns. That game against Texas was the first game of Tech's tough part of their schedule. It's difficult to remain at the top of your game week in, week out. Once Tech started to struggle, they all but fell apart.