PDA

View Full Version : Madison wins DISD Coca-Cola Championship

JR2004
01-01-2009, 12:41 AM
63-56 over Kimball! This was a remarkable run through the traditional powers in the district on the way to winning the 69th annual DISD Coca-Cola title. Along the way we beat the two teams who will likely win both 4A Dallas districts in Carter (Who should also make the 4A state tournament) and Lincoln. Tim Flentroy was named tournament MVP and Desmond Flentroy, Nick Moore (Sweetwater Red's fellow Michigander who hails from Detoit) and Simeon Brinkley made the all-tournament team.

Started off things at 9am on the 29th by hitting a shot at the buzzer to beat Mesquite Horn 69-68.

Later that evening we took on Skyline who featured the younger brother of Utah Jazz guard CJ Miles, Cameron Miles, and won 84-67.

Knocked off Lincoln (led by 2011 #3 overall recruit LB Nash) the following day at noon for a 2nd time this year in the quarters 64-52. First time to beat them twice in a season since 2000. First time since 2000 period that we've beaten our biggest rival. Lincoln fans whined and complained for the last month that it was a fluke the first time around when we won.

Last night we took out the Carter Cowboys 77-75 in the semis in a game we trailed 48-35 at the half. Carter had just knocked off San Antonio Madison in the quarterfinals. 5A Madison was #1 in the state and 21-0 coming into that one against Carter.

Finished it off by beating Kimball tonight 63-56. According to Coach Kidd (Madison's head coach from the inaugural UIL season in 1976-2004) that marked the first time since 1998 that we've beaten Kimball in basketball. We beat them in the Coca-Cola (Called the Dr. Pepper at the time.) as well.

To be the smallest school in the tournament and to come out on top feels pretty cool! We're usually the red-headed stepchild in DISD, but at least until next year we can say we're on top of the district after this run! :)

catgut
01-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Madison must have a powerhouse this year. I'm looking forward to getting to see them play in Commerce. I know Carter gave our team a real thumping, but it was our second game in like 4 hours and their first which helped make it as bad as it was.

CelinaCatFan
01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats to Madison!

Too many good basketball tournaments this week to catch all the games. I missed going to the Whataburger Tournament this year. However, I did see several good games at the Sherman Holiday Tournament this week.

I'm ready for the annual trip to the State Tournament in March!

JR2004
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by catgut
Madison must have a powerhouse this year. I'm looking forward to getting to see them play in Commerce. I know Carter gave our team a real thumping, but it was our second game in like 4 hours and their first which helped make it as bad as it was.

Well the way the bracket shapes up we have a potential 3rd round matchup with Argyle if we both make it that far. That is a game that really concerns me. We may not even be able to make it to Commerce.

I wouldn't worry too about getting beat by Carter by the score that you did. They're really, really good and they've beaten some other teams so far this year by far more points (My friend over at Samuell got beat 103-53 by them not too long after you played them). The game against y'all was the 2nd game back for Jarvis Phillips since football season was over so not only did they have the rest advantage on you they also were getting some more players added back to their lineup.

Matthew328
01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Argyle is always tough, they can shoot it...

JR2004
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
From the DMN...

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/010109dnspodisdboys.3fdfc74.html

Dallas ISD/Coca-Cola Boys: Tiny Madison tops big boys

Class 3A school beats 5A, 4A teams on its way to DISD championship

12:55 AM CST on Thursday, January 1, 2009

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

Sometimes, the smallest of the group makes the biggest impression.

Madison, a 3A school in a tournament loaded with quality 4A and 5A teams, earned the 69th Dallas ISD/Coca-Cola Boys Tournament championship by defeating Kimball, 63-56, Wednesday night at Ellis Davis Field House.

Madison (15-3) beat two 5A teams (Mesquite Horn and Skyline) and two 4A teams (Lincoln and Carter) to make the tournament final. Madison then ousted the defending tournament champion, Kimball, a 4A school.

"If there were 1,500 people here in Ellis Davis Field House, 1,498 thought we're not supposed to be here," Madison coach Damien Mobley said. "It was up to us to show that 1,498 that we do belong."

Madison opened the game with an 11-4 lead, but Kimball (16-5), once down 12, fought back in the second quarter to trim Madison's lead to one.

Madison held a 53-52 lead with five minutes remaining in the game. It led, 58-56, at the 2-minute mark before Dominique Smith hit back-to-back layups off fast-break opportunities and scored the eventual game-sealing points. Smith led Madison with 16 points.

Timothy Flentroy had 12 points and was named the tournament MVP.

His cousin, Desmond Flentroy, added 11.

"I feel good because we haven't won this in 10 years," Timothy Flentroy said. "We just played together and played smart. We fought hard, and we never complained."

Mobley added, "They work hard, they play hard, and they have a never-die spirit. Most people look at us and see we're small, but our hearts are big. That's one thing you can't teach in basketball is heart."

Kimball's Keenan Owoigbe led all players with 17 points.