PDA

View Full Version : If you were a Texas HS Football Coach?

Daddy D 11
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
What would your offensive playbook look like?
And what would your defense base out of?

I'd have a very run oriented offense, with most of my formations based out of the Slot T and the Wishbone, also maybe a little John Tyler Sweep like La Vega runs. I wouldn't solely base out of the Slot-T like LH does though and I damn sure wouldn't run no dad gum spread.

And on defense I'd run a 5-5 Special:D

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
And what would your defense base out of?

I'd have a very run oriented offense, with most of my formations based out of the Slot T and the Wishbone, also maybe a little John Tyler Sweep like La Vega runs. I wouldn't solely base out of the Slot-T like LH does though and I damn sure wouldn't run no dad gum spread.

And on defense I'd run a 5-5 Special:D

offense: I really like What Boise St does..so many different formations but basic playbook, just give alot of looks

defense..I like 4-3 and 3-4..maybe a 4-2-5 if I have alot of speed

Daddy D 11
12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
offense: I really like What Boise St does..so many different formations but basic playbook, just give alot of looks

defense..I like 4-3 and 3-4..maybe a 4-2-5 if I have alot of speed

I liked what Boise did too when I was watching them play TCU, but I'm just not a shotgun guy. I'm an old school under center kind of guy.

ILS1
12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I liked what Boise did too when I was watching them play TCU, but I'm just not a shotgun guy. I'm an old school under center kind of guy.

Offense:
I wish someone would bring back the old H-Back sets,3 TE's sets like the Washington Redskins used to run during their Super Bowl heydays. They would run all over teams and then lull you to sleep then throw a bomb to the WR's they called The Fun Bunch!!! As a Cowboy fan, I hated playing the Skins then. But against other teams I used to love watching it!!!!

Defense:

I would run something similar to what TCU is running today. 3-3-5 because of all the pass happy teams. To run this you'll need 3 great speed rushers and 3 GREAT LB's to stop the run. Then the 5 DB's for the pass!!

:D :D :D

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Offense:
I wish someone would bring back the old H-Back sets,3 TE's sets like the Washington Redskins used to run during their Super Bowl heydays. They would run all over teams and then lull you to sleep then throw a bomb to the WR's they called The Fun Bunch!!! As a Cowboy fan, I hated playing the Skins then. But against other teams I used to love watching it!!!!

Defense:

I would run something similar to what TCU is running today. 3-3-5 because of all the pass happy teams. To run this you'll need 3 great speed rushers and 3 GREAT LB's to stop the run. Then the 5 DB's for the pass!!

TCU actually runs a 4-2-5

Dogman_1969
12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Depends on speed but I would use wing T plays out of the slot T and out of the spread and single wing sets. What most folks don't realize is that the spread offense with the zone reads and misdirections are all derived from the single wing and wing T offenses of old days.

On defense I would base out of the wide tackle 6. This version of the 4 man front utilizes 4 lb'ers and in high schools today most teams are using kids that are the size of safety's for lb'ers. This would allow me to adjust for run formations and spread looks without changing personnel. I think that teams that have to change personnel let the offense dictate what the defense does. Teams that can come out in a 3 man front and prior to the snap jump into a 5 man down look with 3 lb'ers with press man coverage sure causes offenses troubles. A good example of this was Carthage this season. Their defense was able to dictate what offenses tried due to their looks but would also jump into a gap blitz package that was really tough to handle.

And I wouldn't ever pooch kick either. That just gives a team great field position. If they had a great return man I would squib kick it to the corner of the goal line and take my chances......

Daddy D 11
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd also throw some Wing-T, Veer and Power I variations in there. Basically I would just try to throw as many different old school running looks at a defense as possible.

DDBooger
12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd also throw some Wing-T, Veer and Power I variations in there. Basically I would just try to throw as many different old school running looks at a defense as possible. Georgia Tech vs LSU...old school offense! should be fun to watch tonight.

crzyjournalist03
12-31-2008, 04:12 PM
I'd run whatever best fit my talent, which could change tremendously over years.

ILS1
12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
TCU actually runs a 4-2-5

Ooops!! My bad!!! Either or would work for me!!!

Looking4number8
12-31-2008, 04:30 PM
I would run the A-11, just to be the talk of the downlow!

Orange Defense
12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Offense
Ting - T spiced with a Lull Up Runner

Defense
10-1 with a sloth back. Might run in a Glower "T" if I had enough speed.

Now that's old school!!!!

I would run what ever set I had the tallent to run. Tallent levels are different from year to year.

dawg4life
12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Offense: Wing T, Power T, Wishbone, Singleback, and shotgun max.

Defense: 5-2

Rabid Cougar
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM

That IS China Spring's playbook INCLUDING the Texas Tech Offense

Trashman
12-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Wing "T" offense
Split 4 defense

BOCEPHUS
12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
L M A O

U GUYS BE A KILL'N ME

Matthew328
12-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Ace formation run well is a DC's worst nightmare

SHSBulldog00
01-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'd run whatever best fit my talent, which could change tremendously over years.

Dido!

But it would also depend on what teams I play run.

We are running the spread and double wing on offense with a defensive scheme of 4-2-5 next year with some 3-3-5.

STANG RED
01-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Thats the best answer yet. Too many coaches just lock in on a system and stick with it year after year without regard to their talent. You can do that in college because you can recruit to suit your system, but in HS it changes every year. I think a HS coach should adjust his system to fit whatever talent he has. It doesnt have to be drastic changes, but it should at least use what ever the strengths are to the best of their abilities.

Txbroadcaster
01-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Thats the best answer yet. Too many coaches just lock in on a system and stick with it year after year without regard to their talent. You can do that in college because you can recruit to suit your system, but in HS it changes every year. I think a HS coach should adjust his system to fit whatever talent he has. It doesnt have to be drastic changes, but it should at least use what ever the strengths are to the best of their abilities.

adjust to an extent yes..but you also cant just change offense every couple of years IMO and be effective either

I think that is why I like Multiple formation offenses. It allows you to tweak your offense to the strength at that time, but also allows you to have consitency from JR High on up by running the same base offense

Necks_Fan
01-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Obviously it depends on the talent on the field, BUT:

Offense: Something similar to Navasota. Lots of spread, some power I, lots of screen and swing passes like Gilmer out of various formations to TE's, RB's, FB's, WR's.

Defense: I always like a 4-2-5 with one safety playing up in the box like a really fast LB.

BILLYFRED0000
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
adjust to an extent yes..but you also cant just change offense every couple of years IMO and be effective either

I think that is why I like Multiple formation offenses. It allows you to tweak your offense to the strength at that time, but also allows you to have consitency from JR High on up by running the same base offense

That is right my friend. I like what Celina does with their O. And I like the 10 - 1 special for defense. Got to have good corners and backers but it is very affective if you do and your line is decent.

Buckeye1980
01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I would run the flex -bone ....A mixture of the wishbone with a pass flavor......I loved the wishbone in its hayday , but you would need to mix in more passing in today's game

dawg4life
01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
That's PeeWee mentality. Everyone seems to think that an offense is determined by formation or playbook. It's based on concepts, and your concepts have to be universial for your program to be solid. You take those concepts and build plays and formations around them, be it zone concepts, vertical passing route concepts, veer concepts, etc...and those plays will evolve over time, but the concepts remain the same. For example, one day, you may see Jerry Vance's teams running from the shotgun, but Id bet borrowed money the concepts he uses today would be the same.
And yes, Matt, as a defensive coach, I absolutely HATED to see a freakin' ace set. So, now as an offensive coach, it's what I impliment. :D

thank you. I totally agree with that.

TheDOCTORdre
01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
offensively...i would run the offense i am currently working on right now...its a secret, but one day ya'll will see it

defensively... buddy ryans 46, i love watching old highlights of the 85 bears...

STANG RED
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
That's PeeWee mentality. Everyone seems to think that an offense is determined by formation or playbook. It's based on concepts, and your concepts have to be universial for your program to be solid. You take those concepts and build plays and formations around them, be it zone concepts, vertical passing route concepts, veer concepts, etc...and those plays will evolve over time, but the concepts remain the same. For example, one day, you may see Jerry Vance's teams running from the shotgun, but Id bet borrowed money the concepts he uses today would be the same.
And yes, Matt, as a defensive coach, I absolutely HATED to see a freakin' ace set. So, now as an offensive coach, it's what I impliment. :D

Let me apologize for myself and most everyone else on here for being so ignorant. I realize now by reading this and most of your other posts, that we are all infantile compared to you and your vast football knowledge. :rolleyes:
I'll be sure to consult you before forming any opinions that have anything to do with football in the future. :doh:

By the way, in what other subjects are you all knowing in? My dumb a$$ may need some of your renowned wisdom some day in the future.

GreenMonster
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
defensively... buddy ryans 46, i love watching old highlights of the 85 bears...

Interestingly, I spent many hours researching defenses this past offseason. I watched hours of video over the vaunted Bears 46 and I also dug into the Celina 10-1. As I dug deeper I found that the Celina "Special" defense (what they are in most of the time) is basically a 46. One of the backers is down in the Special but the scheme is basically the same. I love the attacking style of both of these defenses. I also noticed in the Ravens win over the Cowboys how Buddy's son Rex has adapted the 46 to fit todays game. I found it interseting that much of the time the Ravens were in a 2 man front with 6 backers, 2 corners, and 1 safety.

big daddy russ
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
For my defense, I'd find as many fat boys as possible, put them all on the LOS, then tie a twinkie around the other QB's waist.

On offense, I'd hire some of Celina's and Gilmer's coaches to recruit some good skill kids to run the spread.

STANG RED
01-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Im pretty good in history, government, and philosophy. Really, anything that could be covered under the "social studies" umbrella.
But, this is a football board. I was talking football. Sorry if by pointing out your ignorance I offended you. But yes, evidently, I do know more about football than you do. Do you know anything about basketball? I need some help there.

LOL, I never cease to be amazed at boundless arrogance coupled with abundant ignorant bliss. :doh:

kepdawg
01-02-2009, 11:38 PM
You got that part figured out. Now all you need is a college degree, teaching certificate, time to pay your dues to move up the ranks, and then you sit with me and GM and laugh at idiots like you who think they know something about football b/c they played 2nd team defensive end in high school.
Im sure Coach Jackson would welcome you into his office anytime to talk some ball, and after he made you look like a 3rd grader with down syndrome, he'd laugh your Bush League self right outta his office.

What poor soul would ever want to sit with you? :dispntd:

STANG RED
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
You got that part figured out. Now all you need is a college degree, teaching certificate, time to pay your dues to move up the ranks, and then you sit with me and GM and laugh at idiots like you who think they know something about football b/c they played 2nd team defensive end in high school.
Im sure Coach Jackson would welcome you into his office anytime to talk some ball, and after he made you look like a 3rd grader with down syndrome, he'd laugh your Bush League self right outta his office.

Seriously I doubt the combination of all 3 of you could have carried my jock strap. But I might have let you squeezed my water bottle during those odd occasions when I came off the field.

LH Panther Mom
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
If you WERE a Texas HS Football Coach - I'm gonna guess that means any and all offenses & defenses should work. This isn't an experts only board; otherwise there would be about 5 of you posting.

STANG RED
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
So, a wanna-be AND a has-been? Nice. We'll keep on living it, you can sit in the stands and watch it and keep living vicariously through high school kids. Dont worry, the good ol' days will always be there for you to bask in.

We're all has beens. It's called growing up. You might want to try it sometime. And yes I attend every friday night game I can, just like everyone else on this board. Its called being a fan, and it's pretty much the point of this site.

Oh and by the way, any basket made inside the arc is good for 2, outside the arc is good for 3, and a free throw is good for 1. And Michael Jordan was the greatest to ever play the game.

kepdawg
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I coulda used that 3 weeks ago. Just learned where the 3 point line and the free throw line are. Always got those confused.
You think Im kidding. My first year coaching it, and I never played, so Im kinda learning as I go. I dont like not knowing.
Just learned that there are actually plays to run in basketball! Who'da thunk it?!

Just treat it like football!

Offense: QB and a combo of WRs and maybe a TE or two. Get the WRs and TEs open and get them the ball. Of course it will help if a few of them can put the ball in the basket!

Defense: Man Coverage or Zone. All it is is passes defended and interceptions!

Oh and whatever you do, don't punt!

STANG RED
01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I coulda used that 3 weeks ago. Just learned where the 3 point line and the free throw line are. Always got those confused.
You think Im kidding. My first year coaching it, and I never played, so Im kinda learning as I go. I dont like not knowing.
Just learned that there are actually plays to run in basketball! Who'da thunk it?!

Pick and roll baby, pick and roll. And dont forget the ol give and go. Do those two well, and play great D. You'll win lots of games. Oh and I forgot the most important part, put the ball in the hoop more times than the other team does. That always seems to help.

STANG RED
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
What is "pick and roll" and "give and go"?

Oh man, are you in deep caca. :doh: LOL

Here, these might help:
http://www.answers.com/topic/pick-and-roll
http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball.com/play_2.htm
http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball.com/play3.htm

Good Luck!

WylieBulldog92
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Get the fastest guy the ball as many times as I could and put the most balanced player at running back.

WylieBulldog92
01-03-2009, 10:03 PM
excuse me guy with the best balance.