PDA

View Full Version : Hamshire-Fannet

oldbuff78
09-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Can anybody tell me how far H-F has been into the playoffs and who was there most successful coach? And any great players?

Old Cardinal
09-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Hamshire-Fannett made the playoffs last year and were whalloped by Newton. Coach Claude Tarver, who is now the new Bridge City Coach, was at the helm for about 13 years, if my memory serves we correctly. He was in the playoff regularly, with no spectacular bracket runs. H-F mainly played Plunge and Plug football. On occasion he had enough talent to run a viable option; however, most seasons he just had a good big back and ran the Plunge game. At Bridge City, with Jamie "Houdini" Knight, Trey Rhodes and Sophmore Ben Meyers at QB, he will probably open up a good spring-out option and ole- time rollouts behind the superb blocking of Lance Fitts, Steven Lapeyrolerie, Michael Gauthier and Matt Peebles.....Meanwhile, H-F has a LOT of beef and one fast back. They are like Anahuac, Vidor, and Newton they teach excellent blocking and tackleing techniques at an early age. On a wet field H-F can be relentless, just ask the Barber's Hill young skilled defensive line.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 08, 2002).]

oldbuff78
09-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Who was there coach in the 70's and how far have they ever been in the playoffs?

Old Cardinal
09-09-2002, 08:04 PM
I don't remember the H-F Coaches of the 1970s. Coach Tarver took them to the Regional Championship a couple of times and they were in the playoff quite frequently, if my memory is correct. They always have a very large O-line and D-line, just like this year. Had Northcutt(QB), been allowed to run the "roll-out" behind BH's speedy adaquate blocking backs, they could have left most of the H-F boys there at the scrimmage line. H-F has a good history of competing well in 3A.

oldbuff78
09-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Old card, thanks. If you find out, let me know. I think for some reason that Les Koenning used to coach there. I know he is now retired.

3A Roy
09-09-2002, 09:17 PM
He did coach there in the 70's. He had a son that played QB in 74 and 75. Newton beat them 14-13 in 74 on their way to becoming state champs that year.

Newton Fan
09-09-2002, 11:20 PM
HF has a new AD / Coach - Paul Walker. A product of Newton and played for Coach Barby in early 80's.