PDA

View Full Version : McFarland responds to recruiting story

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 09:02 AM
http://www.lufkindailynews.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/12/31/mcfarland.html

Most interesting part

In a story on rivals.com Monday McFarland said he embellished a passage taken from the English paper detailing free alcohol and drugs and topless women at a party of Texas fans in Dallas.

"Some things we knew were kind of mixed up because (the reporter) got a paper of mine," McFarland said on the Rivals Web site Monday. "The paper I wrote for an English class — it was spiced up a little bit for class. But a majority of it was correct."

LH Panther Mom
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
He doesn't regret the article, only that people are upset????? :doh: :doh: :doh: How did the reporter "get" his paper, anyway? :thinking:

SWMustang
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
This is what I thought was odd in the Times Article:

“Whose house do you like better, Bob Stoops’s, Les Miles’s or mine?” Adams recalled Brown saying.

That doesn't really seem like something that would come up during a recruiting dinner.

I think that kid probably fabricated more than what's being let on.

Pick6
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
The kid is going to OU, he can't be that bright anyway :stirpot:

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
This is what I thought was odd in the Times Article:

“Whose house do you like better, Bob Stoops’s, Les Miles’s or mine?” Adams recalled Brown saying.

That doesn't really seem like something that would come up during a recruiting dinner.

I think that kid probably fabricated more than what's being let on.

ESPECIALLY supposedly coming from Mack Brown...people can say alot of things about Brown, but I dont think ANYONE thinks he would be the type to say something about whose house do you like better

SWMustang
12-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ESPECIALLY supposedly coming from Mack Brown...people can say alot of things about Brown, but I dont think ANYONE thinks he would be the type to say something about whose house do you like better

Exactly - I don't know Mack personally, but I DON'T get the vibe he'd say something that juvenile. If you're the head coach at UT you don't need to run down someone else's program.

Diocletian
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm sure recruiting is a dirty horrible dark side of the NCAA, it's always been that way.

There might be some great coaches, who've always seem to get the top recruits every year....Hell, they have to be doing something. And if they aren't, then why do a lot of them caught so much?

The movie Blue Chips all over again.

cshscougar08
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

Actually, I definitely think that IS something he would say. I see Brown as VERY arrogant about himself and his program. He was the EXACT same way when he was at UNC, saying the same type of things, and just doing the little things that just basically said, "Yeah I'm better than you." And don't refute me on the UNC stuff cause I actually lived over there and know first hand.

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
And don't refute me on the UNC stuff cause I actually lived over there and know first hand.

oh well guys dont refute him argument is over

I have a family member who has committed to UT this year, and he says Mack Brown was nothing but super nice and very humble

but I cant argue that because you said we cannot refute you

Electus Unus
12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Here are a couple of UT recruits responses to McFarland...

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/trips-right/calvin-howell-calls-out-jamarku-mcfarland

cshscougar08
12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
oh well guys dont refute him argument is over

I have a family member who has committed to UT this year, and he says Mack Brown was nothing but super nice and very humble

but I cant argue that because you said we cannot refute you

:rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that I know how he was at UNC and he comes off the same way here at UT.

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
:rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that I know how he was at UNC and he comes off the same way here at UT.

I was just giving you a hard time about saying dont refute you

but again the only person I know as a UT commit who has had direct contact with Brown said he was nice and very humble

Talked about what UT could do for him what his position coach could do for him, never said what Mack Brown could do for him

Now..in saying that

EVERY HC of a top 10 program will have an ego and can come off arrogant..part of being a great College coach is selling yourself and the program

cshscougar08
12-31-2008, 11:59 AM
EVERY HC of a top 10 program will have an ego and can come off arrogant..part of being a great College coach is selling yourself and the program

Yeah and EVERY HC can appear the way they want to.

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah and EVERY HC can appear the way they want to.

and again it goes back to

why would Brown who we all know like Bob Stoops is basically a salesman ask a kid who has the better house

whether Brown's personality to recruits is a facade or not, why break that facade with this player?

Again I am sorry but there are alot of holes in McFarland's original story

like the Dallas weekend..he was the guest of OU since they were the home team, so why was he at a UT party?

To many things just dont add up

Pick6
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
And don't refute me on the UNC stuff cause I actually lived over there and know first hand.

Help me out here, You're 18 or 19, a freshman in college. Mack Brown came to Texas in 1998, so you was 8 or 9. I think most 8 or 9 year olds don't care to much about college football, esp recruiting.

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Help me out here, You're 18 or 19, a freshman in college. Mack Brown came to Texas in 1998, so you was 8 or 9. I think most 8 or 9 year olds don't care to much about college football, esp recruiting.

YOU MUST NOT REFUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dieselsmoke
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
and again it goes back to

why would Brown who we all know like Bob Stoops is basically a salesman ask a kid who has the better house

whether Brown's personality to recruits is a facade or not, why break that facade with this player?

Again I am sorry but there are alot of holes in McFarland's original story

like the Dallas weekend..he was the guest of OU since they were the home team, so why was he at a UT party?

To many things just dont add up
Wasn't the party after the game? Did McFarland travel to Dallas with OU? Did he meet OU at Dallas? Was the visit over after OU left to return to Norman? Did a booster from ut take him to the party? Why was he at a UT party? Has anyone said he wasn't?

SWMustang
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
YOU MUST NOT REFUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I'm forbidden to refute....:D

I won't dispute there's a fine line between confidence and cocky. However, Mack can't run around like Woody Allan second guessing every choice he makes. He wouldn't be successful without a self assured approach. BTW - I'm no T-shirt Longhorn fan. I just thing Mcfarland's story is exaggerated at the very least - fabricated at most.

Dieselsmoke
12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
I think it was more of the reporters "story" than McFarlands.

DDBooger
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
I think it was more of the reporters "story" than McFarlands. I kind of agree, it seems the embellishments made it more of a story. I think McFarland did a bit of it himself as well!

I. B. Watching
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I am an OU guy. But I can never come down too hard on Mack, after all, he did coach at OU for a year. Sometimes things get taken way out of context. I don't think it really matters if Mack said "Whose house do you like better?" or not. I could imagine him saying it, but more in a joking manner than anything else.

Daddy D 11
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Also it's been proven that the Longhorn football team was loaded on a bus and on their way back to Austin when this so called party happened? So McFarland was with Texas fans, not Texas players. Like Txbroadcaster said, this story has MANY holes. This whole story is absolutle bull.

JR2004
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM

That's amazing that at 8 or 9 years old you had connections to get inside information about the head coach of the Tar Heels!

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
That's amazing that at 8 or 9 years old you had connections to get inside information about the head coach of the Tar Heels!

Dude..he said we cannot refute...so stope refuting

I_Do_Care
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Dude..he said we cannot refute...so stope refuting
my boy G$$ would refute him!
but he won't, it's TEXAS :(

DDBooger
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
That's amazing that at 8 or 9 years old you had connections to get inside information about the head coach of the Tar Heels! Maybe Mack's daughter was his babysitter?

JR2004
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Maybe Mack's daughter was his babysitter?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Txbroadcaster
01-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
But, ask Bennett at SMU what happens when you dont. In a few years, ask Sherman at A&M what happens as well.
!

If you know my last name then you know I know Phil, and Jerry REAL well..not sure what happen at SMU, but something seemed to turn them agianst reaching out to HS coaches more and being more approachable