PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's back in Houston!

Bull Butter
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Everyone's favorite finger-wagging, 42-year old center! :)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6187183.html

Rockets bring Mutombo aboard
Center says he's in shape, needs time on court
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Dec. 30, 2008, 2:52PM

The Rockets reached an agreement with veteran center Dikembe Mutombo on Tuesday, Rockets GM Daryl Morey said.

Mutombo was signed for the remainder of the season at a pro-rated veteran's minimum contract.

"I let a lot of money go. I felt a lot of pressure Yao Ming and Tracy (McGrady) every day calling me, (saying) 'We need you. We need your leadership in the locker room. We need your spirit, something to get us going,' " Mutombo said. "Yao called this morning and said, 'I don't want to hear bad news. I need to hear good news.'

"It was very difficult the past four months. I didn't know what would happen," Mutombo said. "I was surprised to see Houston come into the picture. I thought it would be Boston or San Antonio. I told the kids Daddy would be playing there."

Mutombo said he is in good enough shape to play but needs time on the court.

He was not sure if he would join the Rockets for a five-game trip that begins Friday at Toronto but added that Yao has insisted he be with the team. The Rockets host the Milwaukee Bucks on New Year's Eve.

"I almost haven't touched a ball in six months. I shoot the ball in the park with my kid. I am not a shooter anyway," said Mutombo, a career 52 percent shooter. "As long as I can rebound and block shots, that's what's important."

Mutombo appeared in 39 games with the Rockets last year, starting 25 primarily while Yao Ming was out with a foot injury.

In 1,187 career games, he has 3,278 blocked shots and trails career leader Hakeem Olajuwon by 552.

When he makes his debut for the Rockets, Mutombo, 42, will be playing in his 18th season.

zebrablue2
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
glad to see him back... block em big boy, block em.....

JasperDog94
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
He is my daughter's favorite player. Too bad he won't be in uniform tomorrow night since I'm taking her to the game.;)

Bull Butter
12-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Gotta love Dikembe.

If not for what he brings to the team and the locker room, for his appearance in a bar in his college days in 1990 when he walked in and yelled out.........."WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO!!!"