PDA

View Full Version : Football Camps

footballfan65
12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Anybody have any good recommendations for football camps in Texas or surrounding states?

Lion_Addict
12-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by footballfan65
Anybody have any good recommendations for football camps in Texas or surrounding states?

Sending my son to the UT camp in '09. Was too late in getting him signed up for this past one. Glad you brought this up :thumbsup:

X15-MEM
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
My son attended camps at A&M, SMU, UofH, Rice and SHSU all of which ranged from $25 to $35 and all worth the price. The SMU and SHSU camps were the best. If your son is looking to be recruited this is a good place to start, IMO the one day camps are better, get your foot in the door so to speak between your SO and JR year, do some unofficial visits during the JR year season, make a recruiting plan, repeat the camp and visit process the next year then get your Highlight film into the hands of the recruiters. Hope to have an article outlining this process with links to great recruiting sites in the near future. Hope this and the future information will be helpful.

LH Panther Mom
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
What position does he play? ACU has a really good QB camp (maybe receivers too?), from what I hear.

Rabid Cougar
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Go to the one day camps. They are literally tryout camps. Baylor had the best camps of all Big 12 camps. They are straight position camps with LOTS of one on one against other players. Texas Tech, North Texas, KU and Okie State were very good too. Most spend lots of time testing and measuring.
Don't limit yourself to the Big 12 camps. They have sometimes 3 to 4 hundred kids at the camps. Unless your one of the names on their "list" you will basically be going for fun and maybe not get to many reps.
Best Overnight camp -LSU. You will not believe the athletes you see there.

Recruiting... It can be a lot of fun and can also be VERY frustrating.
Get on the WEB and find out all the recruiting coordinators for all schools that your son is interested in. Make a highlight video of 15 to 20 best plays, no more than 5 minutes tops of the most recent games. Send the video to the recruiting coordinator or coach that is responsible for your area in the April/ May time period. BEFORE you go to camps. Attend all the camps you can afford in Freshmen and Sophomore years. Pare down to the ones who have sent letters or have shown interest to your HS Coach your JR year. If your son is college material, go to the camps whose schools contact him the summer between Jr and Senior season. Send DVD to schools Recruiting Coordinator or Area Recruiting Coach after each season.

Rabid Cougar
12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What position does he play? ACU has a really good QB camp (maybe receivers too?), from what I hear.

Hardin-Simmons Passing Camps. VERY Highly recommended for QBs and WRs

LH Panther Mom
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Okay, thanks! Maybe that's what I was thinking of instead of ACU. I just knew it wasn't one we had been to.

bigwood33
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Okay, thanks! Maybe that's what I was thinking of instead of ACU. I just knew it wasn't one we had been to.
http://www.airitout.org/
This is a great camp for qb's and receivers. They both get a lot of reps and really great instruction. The list of former campers is a Who's Who list. They do separate camps for middle school and high school.

WTF-82
12-31-2008, 12:34 AM

Texs Tech camp good camp well run you will get every penny out of it. Hardin Simmons in Abilene for QB and Receivers is good one.

I have sent family to both of these and well worth it.

WTF-82
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM

Hardin Simmons is correct have sent family here good one.

WTF-82
12-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Go to the one day camps. They are literally tryout camps. Baylor had the best camps of all Big 12 camps. They are straight position camps with LOTS of one on one against other players. Texas Tech, North Texas, KU and Okie State were very good too. Most spend lots of time testing and measuring.
Don't limit yourself to the Big 12 camps. They have sometimes 3 to 4 hundred kids at the camps. Unless your one of the names on their "list" you will basically be going for fun and maybe not get to many reps.
Best Overnight camp -LSU. You will not believe the athletes you see there.

Recruiting... It can be a lot of fun and can also be VERY frustrating.
Get on the WEB and find out all the recruiting coordinators for all schools that your son is interested in. Make a highlight video of 15 to 20 best plays, no more than 5 minutes tops of the most recent games. Send the video to the recruiting coordinator or coach that is responsible for your area in the April/ May time period. BEFORE you go to camps. Attend all the camps you can afford in Freshmen and Sophomore years. Pare down to the ones who have sent letters or have shown interest to your HS Coach your JR year. If your son is college material, go to the camps whose schools contact him the summer between Jr and Senior season. Send DVD to schools Recruiting Coordinator or Area Recruiting Coach after each season.

Good info thats why you guys are great.

LH Panther Mom
12-31-2008, 08:52 AM
One question - is he interested in playing college football or is he more interested in improving his skills for high school?

footballfan65
12-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Plays running back and outside linebacker.

footballfan65
12-31-2008, 09:33 AM

He attended this camp last year. It was a very good camp. Just checking to see what other good camps were out there. Think word of mouth is the best way to find out.

footballfan65
12-31-2008, 09:35 AM
One question - is he interested in playing college football or is he more interested in improving his skills for high school?
Very interested in playing college football. And he makes good grades too.

catdaddy
01-04-2009, 02:59 AM
If you are looking for a full contact camp, check in to Offense-Defense. It was one of the only ones I found and it was excellent. Demarcus Ware was there as was Nate Newton and Calvin Johnson. The Houston camp had Earl Cochran, David Anderson, Andre Johnson and Jacoby Jones.

o-d.com