PDA

View Full Version : DISD Tournament Referee Collapses and Later Dies

JR2004
12-30-2008, 02:59 AM
This is pretty sad. Skyline coach JD Mayo knew him and apparently has given the sad news that Jake Bethany has died at the age of 48.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/basketball-referee-dies-after-collapse-s.html

Basketball referee dies after collapse, Skyline coach says

A basketball official who collapsed during the intermission of a holiday tournament game Monday evening has died, Skyline boys basketball coach J.D. Mayo said.

Mayo, in a phone call late Monday night, said Jake Bethany was pronounced dead at R.H. Dedman Memorial Hospital hours after collapsing at Loos Field House. Bethany collapsed around 8:30 p.m. in the hallway before the Loos basketball court entrance as he prepared for the start of the second half of a Dallas ISD/Coca-Cola Boys Tournament game.

Cause of death was unknown as of late Monday. Bethany, Mayo said, was 48.

Mayo, a longtime DISD coach, knew Bethany when he was a high school student-athlete at Spruce. After coaching Skyline in two tournament games Monday, Mayo met with Bethany's family at the hospital.

"I was an assistant coach at Spruce when I first met him," Mayo said. "He was about 6-8. He played mostly on varsity as a sophomore. He played on the last Dallas ISD city champion team back in the day.

"He was so coachable when he was in high school. He really worked hard and had a great attitude. He carried that on in life and with officiating."

Bethany, according to Loos stadium manager Charlie Cox, collapsed during halftime of a second-round tournament game between Richardson and Wylie. Tournament officials and the Richardson and Wylie coaches, after the collapse and a lengthy delay, agreed to postpone the continuation of the game until Tuesday morning.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/123008dnspohsdisdofficial.1d98f91f.html

A basketball official who collapsed during the intermission of a holiday tournament game Monday evening has died, Skyline boys basketball coach J.D. Mayo said

Mayo, in a phone call late Monday night, said Jake Bethany was pronounced dead at R.H. Dedman Memorial Hospital hours after collapsing at Loos Field House. Bethany collapsed around 8:30 p.m. in the hallway before the Loos basketball court entrance as he prepared for the start of the second half of a Dallas ISD/Coca-Cola Boys Tournament game.

Cause of death was unknown as of late Monday. Bethany, Mayo said, was 48.

Mayo, a longtime DISD coach, knew Bethany when he was a high school student-athlete at Spruce. After coaching Skyline in two tournament games Monday, Mayo met with Bethany's family at the hospital.

"I was an assistant coach at Spruce when I first met him," Mayo said. "He was about 6-8. He played mostly on varsity as a sophomore. He played on the last Dallas ISD city champion team back in the day.

"He was so coachable when he was in high school. He really worked hard and had a great attitude. He carried that on in life and with officiating."

Bethany, according to Loos stadium manager Charlie Cox, collapsed during halftime of a second-round tournament game between Richardson and Wylie. Tournament officials and the Richardson and Wylie coaches, after the collapse and a lengthy delay, agreed to postpone the continuation of the game until Tuesday morning.

JR2004
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
This game was finished this morning and Wylie beat Richardson 74-71 in 3OT's.

I'm sure that the family of Mr. Bethany could use all the prayers they can get right about now. Such a sad, sad deal especially since it's right around the holidays. :(

JR2004
12-31-2008, 03:43 AM
http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/videopage-284.html?nvid=317523

That's a video from DMN Writer Damon Sayles talking a bit about Mr. Bethany.

catgut
12-31-2008, 08:51 AM
I feel bad for the family. It's always bad to lose a family member but I know from experience that it seems worse during the holidays for some reason.

I knew another official that died on the court. Ernie Wilson did the same thing a couple of years ago.