PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with the Cowboys

orange machine
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
My opinion is they have to many cry baby susperstars. They have to many players with rap sheets. Romo has no competition. They need to find a qb that can challenge Romo for the starting position. The offensive line that was supposed to be so good has been anything but. Wade Phillips i think is a good coach, but not a good coach for the Cowboys. Phillips seems to try to be the players friends instead of there boss.

Pick6
12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
My opinion is they have to many cry baby susperstars. They have to many players with rap sheets. Romo has no competition. They need to find a qb that can challenge Romo for the starting position. The offensive line that was supposed to be so good has been anything but. Wade Phillips i think is a good coach, but not a good coach for the Cowboys. Phillips seems to try to be the players friends instead of there boss.

How many players have rap sheets? I can only think of 2, Pac and Tank. Who else?

orange machine
12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Thats two to many. I will give Tank credit he has stayed out of the media and trouble, but Adam Jones is a complete distraction.

DDBooger
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
The Giants had one guy with domestic abuse charge as well as unlawful posession of a handgun, another guy who was let off after likely hiding evidence. Won't even start with Cincy lol come on guys, Dallas wasn't as bad as others and if anything just had distractions, not many criminal matters.

Emerson1
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Did you really have to start another thread voicing the exact same thing everyone else is in other threads?

orange machine
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did you really have to start another thread voicing the exact same thing everyone else is in other threads?

Im not gonna read threw all the other threads. So if you dont like it dont read or post.

DDBooger
12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Im not gonna read threw all the other threads. So if you dont like it dont read or post. lmao you're one of the few posting the same thing over and over on different threads...oh sorry, and yeah, you are "GETTING TO US" playing the "ROLE" lmao:clap:

orange machine
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
The Giants had one guy with domestic abuse charge as well as unlawful posession of a handgun, another guy who was let off after likely hiding evidence. Won't even start with Cincy lol come on guys, Dallas wasn't as bad as others and if anything just had distractions, not many criminal matters.

I understand the Giants Problems, but some teams can handle the distractions and some teams cant. Tom Coughlin is a very stern and strict coach that seems to be able to handle his players for the most part. Wade Phillips calls for a punt and Romo tells the punt team to get off the field. So really who is running this team.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
What is wrong with Cowboys...here goes

OL line is built to be a power run team, problem is when run game does not work your forced to pass, this OL is solid in pass protection when your only passing 25 times, but start passing 35 times and they get exposed...which leads me to...

Jason Garrett...his offensive scheme is built off Norv, and that style of play, which is use the run game to set up the pass game, then go back to run game in 4th Q to run the clock...problem is, Garrett gets to pass happy, yet does not use good grouping of routes..to many all or nothing routes. Use TO and Roy Williams on slants, drags and outs. let Crayton and Miles use their speed for the bigger plays, but first and foremost DONT GET AWAY FROM THE RUN also dont make the passing game only be a big play passing game.which leads me to

Tony Romo is not as bad as people think, but again the more u throw, the more chance problems will happen, you run all your WR 20 yards down field and only leave him with option to run, dump to Witten(when he is not running a seam route 20 yards down field) or try to make something out of nothing by throwing an OMG he just did WHAT kind of throw...which now leads me to

The defense..I really do think the injuries in secondary hurt this team this year...no safeties meant no run support and when did we ever see a safety over the top helping a corner on a deep route?...This defense also has a problem with missing a tackle here and there that leads to big plays, but honestly an attacking 3-4 will give up big plays because they leave so many players in one on one situations....which leads me to on next post

orange machine
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
What is wrong with Cowboys...here goes

OL line is built to be a power run team, problem is when run game does not work your forced to pass, this OL is solid in pass protection when your only passing 25 times, but start passing 35 times and they get exposed...which leads me to...

Jason Garrett...his offensive scheme is built off Norv, and that style of play, which is use the run game to set up the pass game, then go back to run game in 4th Q to run the clock...problem is, Garrett gets to pass happy, yet does not use good grouping of routes..to many all or nothing routes. Use TO and Roy Williams on slants, drags and outs. let Crayton and Miles use their speed for the bigger plays, but first and foremost DONT GET AWAY FROM THE RUN also dont make the passing game only be a big play passing game.which leads me to

Tony Romo is not as bad as people think, but again the more u throw, the more chance problems will happen, you run all your WR 20 yards down field and only leave him with option to run, dump to Witten(when he is not running a seam route 20 yards down field) or try to make something out of nothing by throwing an OMG he just did WHAT kind of throw...which now leads me to

The defense..I really do think the injuries in secondary hurt this team this year...no safeties meant no run support and when did we ever see a safety over the top helping a corner on a deep route?...This defense also has a problem with missing a tackle here and there that leads to big plays, but honestly an attacking 3-4 will give up big plays because they leave so many players in one on one situations....which leads me to on next post

That was a good post and makes alot of sense.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
The special teams..BAD BAD BAD..but that is because Phillps has never made it a priority..the special teams coach Bruce Reed is not that bad, but when u dont make the players think it is important, than they will not treat it that way...which leads me to

Team chemistry...I think it is overrated to an extent..but not when you see players arguing on the field about blown assignments and such. I think this team at times instead of dealing with issues would allow a big win to be the medicine..problem is that only last as long as they kept winning

People say TO is a cancer..but what about Greg Ellis..griping over and over about his role and money..Phillips basically said they kept him a starter to pacify him..that is not a leader by any stretch.

Pacman imo cause nothing..good or bad, I dont think the lockeroom cared either way, I do know he is well liked by most players, but he was not able to be counted on.

The coaching is a problem only in that this team took on the persona of Wade Phillips...here is the REAL sad thing about it

He believes as adults players should make themselves accountable, but this group did not.

I dont mind if Garrett stays another year, I think we saw last year he can gameplan, I do think injuries at RB hurt more than we want to admit, but he still needs to grow as a OC

I also believe SOME of the players have become overrated simply because they play for Dallas..they work well in a certain roll, but when roll is expanded they struggle

I still think this team is young at the core positions, but some leadership needs to be grown out of locker room or brought in.

Daddy D 11
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Jerry Jones is the problem. He promotes the superstar, "hollywood" mentality in my opinion.

There are very few teams in the NFL that have their owners act as the GM too, and they all suck also. The best thing for the Cowboys I think would be for Jones to fire himself and get an owner in there that is focused on discipline and not money.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Jerry Jones is the problem. He promotes the superstar, "hollywood" mentality in my opinion.

There are very few teams in the NFL that have their owners act as the GM too, and they all suck also. The best thing for the Cowboys I think would be for Jones to fire himself and get an owner in there that is focused on discipline and not money.

If Jones only cared about money, he would not spend like he does in bonus money..if Jones only cared about money he would not have paied what he did to sign Parcells

PurpleFreddy
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM
it's "too" not "to," folks! OMG, how did some of you graduate high school!?! One would think as much as some of you hate the Cowboys "TO" that you would not spell "too" as "to."

Daddy D 11
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
If Jones only cared about money, he would not spend like he does in bonus money..if Jones only cared about money he would not have paied what he did to sign Parcells

I didn't say he doesn't spend enough money, I said that he cares about bringing as much publicity (i.e money) to the team as possible. And who cares what he paid to get Parcells, all he did was run him off in a few years anyways. We can all see what Parcells knows about football. He only brought in Tony Sperano (spelling?) and turned the Dolphins from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 11:21 PM
. And who cares what he paid to get Parcells, all he did was run him off in a few years anyways. We can all see what Parcells knows about football. He only brought in Tony Sperano (spelling?) and turned the Dolphins from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year.

A Dallas Morning News Writer said it best today about Parcells

Dallas did not dump or run off Parcells, he quit on the team

Daddy D 11
12-29-2008, 11:27 PM
A Dallas Morning News Writer said it best today about Parcells

Dallas did not dump or run off Parcells, he quit on the team

Well that ends all speculation, that writer must be right:thinking:

LOL either way, Parcells left. And if he was happy, he would not have left. I can only think of one reason why Parcells would not be happy and that would be because once again Jerry Jones is not allowing his head coach to have the amount of authority that he needs to help the team. But this is old news and purely our opinions. Another one of my opinions is this, Wade Phillips lacks discipline in his teams. His dad teams were the same way. In the most important game of the year Wade Phillips' team goes out and lays an egg. What the hell were they doing in preperation all week? All year the Cowboys have just simply lacked discipline in key situations. Still wasn't a horrible year at all, just dissapointing.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Well that ends all speculation, that writer must be right:thinking:

LOL either way, Parcells left. And if he was happy, he would not have left. I can only think of one reason why Parcells would not be happy and that would be because once again Jerry Jones is not allowing his head coach to have the amount of authority that he needs to help the team. But this is old news and purely our opinions. Another one of my opinions is this, Wade Phillips lacks discipline in his teams. His dad teams were the same way. In the most important game of the year Wade Phillips' team goes out and lays an egg. What the hell were they doing in preperation all week? All year the Cowboys have just simply lacked discipline in key situations. Still wasn't a horrible year at all, just dissapointing.

I have said it before

If Parcells really hated Jones, or felt his control was taken away why has he not ever said anything? Parcells is treating like a God..Well Dallas is the one place he has not had play-off success..so what better way to keep his reputation as the god of coaching intact by saying Well Jones was the problem.

He has complained at other stops( NE) when he had no control, yet he has not once said control was taken away'

his biggest comment has been he just could not ramp up as a coach again after the way they lost to Seattle

slpybear the bullfan
12-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Even Parcells admitted Jerry backed off and gave him control. He left because once again he was ready to move on and find another rebuilding project.

Keith7
12-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Cows just stink.. I think its time to deal with that

eagles_victory
12-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Cows just stink.. I think its time to deal with that At this point you cant logically argue against that statement.

Orange Defense
12-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
it's "too" not "to," folks! OMG, how did some of you graduate high school!?! One would think as much as some of you hate the Cowboys "TO" that you would not spell "too" as "to."

My High School just wanted me gone!!!:D Plus, I had to hurry and get out into the world while I still knew everything...:D :D :D

crzyjournalist03
12-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
At this point you cant logically argue against that statement.

yes you can. If missing the playoffs is "stink", then there are 20 teams in the NFL that "stink". The Cowboys finished as the first team out of the playoffs, so they're at least not as bad as 18 other squads (New England was the first team out in the AFC).

Macarthur
12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I think many of us have had emotional reactions in the days after this game. I know I did. As time goes by and I'm able to calm down and look at things rationally, I think there's some tangible things to explain the Cowboys trouble this year.

Injuries.

This team was hit hard by injuries.

-The secondary had tons of injuries and played much of the year with 2 rookies and a very rusty and overrated Pacman.

-Romo...not only did he miss time, I don't think he was anywhere close to healthy as the year went on.

-OL depth was a huge issue. Hard to imagine that one injury could be such a factor, but it was. Also, Flozell was injured for much of the year (bad shoulder).

-Felix....was becoming a huge threat. Obviously, Choice did well, but not having Felix's homerun threat hurt.

-Roy Williams...again not reported much but spent much of his time here battling plantar faciatis. ANyone that has had this (I have) knows how difficult this is...I can't imagine playing WR with it. Mickey Spagnola said early last week that he had trouble walking down the steps to get to practice.

-McBriar...lost a guy that could totally change field position. We really didn't realize how valuable he was until he was gone.

-Barber...certainly minimized with Choice who played very well, however Barber, when healthy, I think inspires the team with his style of play. He brings an attitude to the offense that was missing as the year wound down.

Having said all this, I think you could make the argument that 9-7 was not as huge a disappointment as we first thought.

Also, keep in mind, this teams record the last 4 years:

9-7
9-7
13-3
9-7

Is this team a 13-3 team or a 9-7 team?

I think the answer is somewhere in between. Keep in mind, last year they had a couple of breaks in games that went their way. This year, those breaks went against them. Sometimes that's the difference in 9-7 and out of the playoffs and 11-5 and being in.

I think the biggest issue with this team is leadership. They have some guys that have high character - Whitten, Romo, Barber, Ware, James - but they need someone to kick butts.

I think the problem, and I'm not a hater, is that everyone walks around on egg shells around TO. No one wants to upset him so noone confronts him. That's why I think TO needs to go. I think letting TO go, Pac and Tank would almost immediately strengthen the locker room.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think the problem, and I'm not a hater, is that everyone walks around on egg shells around TO. No one wants to upset him so noone confronts him. That's why I think TO needs to go. I think letting TO go, Pac and Tank would almost immediately strengthen the locker room.

This is what was said yesterday on a DMN chat when TO was brought up

Brian Davis: Owens certainly hasn't caused the same types of distractions here in Dallas that he did in his two previous stops. All he's really done is complain about not getting the ball enough. What receiver doesn't want the ball more? Funny thing is, there are a bunch of players in the locker room who stand behind T.O. They love the guy. He may be perceived as a locker room distraction, but he's not as big of one as you might think.

I really think TO is an easy target so when chemistry is brought up as an issue the media pundits who are not in lockeroom every day simply say well TO is the problem

Look at everything he said this year..Tony Romo echoed it the last two weeks.

Just becausae TO is loud and will speak his mind, does not always mean he is wrong

Emerson1
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TO wanting the ball is simply not a distraction. A players kid getting sick is a distraction or players going through marriage problems. Not TO talking to the reporters during the media time.

DDBooger
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe if the Cowboys had this guy firing them up, they'd be ok
Michigan women's basketball coach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvo5XO1kH1c&feature=related)
His entrance is PRICELESS!! I laughed so hard

Bullaholic
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
This is what was said yesterday on a DMN chat when TO was brought up

Brian Davis: Owens certainly hasn't caused the same types of distractions here in Dallas that he did in his two previous stops. All he's really done is complain about not getting the ball enough. What receiver doesn't want the ball more? Funny thing is, there are a bunch of players in the locker room who stand behind T.O. They love the guy. He may be perceived as a locker room distraction, but he's not as big of one as you might think.

I really think TO is an easy target so when chemistry is brought up as an issue the media pundits who are not in lockeroom every day simply say well TO is the problem

Look at everything he said this year..Tony Romo echoed it the last two weeks.

Just becausae TO is loud and will speak his mind, does not always mean he is wrong

I agree---I don't think TO was the whole problem---just a part of it. TO has friends in the locker room and he also has enemies, probably more than other high-profile Dallas players, and it is this team polarization that detracts from the winning "chemistry" that many talk about is necessary to be a Super Bowl contender.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I agree---I don't think TO was the whole problem---just a part of it. TO has friends in the locker room and he also has enemies, probably more than other high-profile Dallas players, and it is this team polarization that detracts from the winning "chemistry" that many talk about is necessary to be a Super Bowl contender.
Then that comes down to LEADERS

Charles Haley was hated by many in Cowboy lockeroom because he was basically a bully

Alot of Cowboys felt Emmit Smith became selfish well before the SB run was over, some even thought he played up his will play with injuries image.

basically that lockeroom was filled with discontent and cliques..but come gameday the LEADERs led

So instead of saying lets get rid of TO how about developing leaders

You get rid of TO, another ego will step in

Do people really think The Pats all sing songs of harmony and love? They have egos and problems, but come gameday the leaders set the tone

PurpleFreddy
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
My High School just wanted me gone!!!:D Plus, I had to hurry and get out into the world while I still knew everything...:D :D :D

Okay, I can accept that explanation. Please forgive an English teacher for going on a rant.

Keith7
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
yes you can. If missing the playoffs is "stink", then there are 20 teams in the NFL that "stink". The Cowboys finished as the first team out of the playoffs, so they're at least not as bad as 18 other squads (New England was the first team out in the AFC).

Good point.. The Cowpies aren't the only team that stink.. there are 19 other teams that stink along with them..

HAHA