PDA

View Full Version : A&M gets an elite running back....again.

WylieBulldog92
12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
All season long, A&M's 2009 recruiting class was solid. Not spectacular, but large and diverse enough to probably qualify the effort for a top 20 to 25 placement in the national recruiting class rankings. But today it added a member that might catapult it far higher.

It what is unquestionably the biggest recruiting move by the Aggies in the past calendar year, Texas A&M has landed a verbal from Beaumont West Brook RB Christine Michael, who is rated by Rivals.com as a rare "five-star" prospect. One of the top runners in the nation, Michael seems to have leapfrogged fellow Texas RB stars Dexter Pratt (Navasota, LSU) and Chris Whaley (Madisonville, UT) in the eyes of talent scouts since the beginning of the season. While this pickup definitely adds a sparkle to the Aggies' 2009 class, it won't be without controversy. A&M is already sporting a crowded backfield, and even though senior-to-be Mike Goodson isn't expected to return for his final season, the Aggies still have DeSoto product Cyrus Gray, who will be a true sophomore in 2009, and Valley product Bradley Stephens. There won't be enough carries to go around, especially considering A&M is saying it's going to build its offense around young Michael.

LINK (http://texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=1836&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2)

SWMustang
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Christine - nice first name

crzyjournalist03
12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Always good to see a top recruit stay in-state!

rockdale80
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Always good to see a top recruit stay in-state!

A running back is worthless if there is not an O-line to block for them. RB was not the source of ATM's problems this season.

Panther One
12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I believe his name is pronounced "Christian".

Also, you can never have too many quality running backs. Gray will still be heavily involved in the offense. He never really fit the mold of a true RB, and I expect he'll be used more as a slot receiver and third down back, while still returning kicks. Stephens will be a quality backup who can step in and start if needed. You don't pass on a guy like Michael just because you have a couple of decent backs.

Of course, all of this depends on whether or not Christine even qualifies. I have no idea about his academic standing, but we haven't had a good track record with Beaumont players lately. We'll also need MUCH improved O-line play or it won't matter who is carrying the ball.

JR2004
12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
To echo others RB hasn't been the problem at A&M. That line, from one side to the other this past season, was ATROCIOUS. They were all absolutely HORRIBLE up front. They didn't have one lineman that started last season that belonged in the Big XII. Franchione screwed up a lot of stuff, but the offensive linemen he brought in just weren't that good more often than not. Florida Atlantic had a better line than A&M this past season.

sahen
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
i saw the kid play this year....he was pretty good but i didn't realize he is a 5 star, but i think he was coming off of an injury the game i saw him play so maybe he wasnt 100%....

a lot of school's have trouble getting beaumont area kids to be elgible however West Brook has recently been a little bit better about qualifying kids...

SWMustang
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
I believe his name is pronounced "Christian".

that's cool - wonder why his parents didn't just spell it that way? Is he French, by chance?

Macarthur
12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
I think this kid is going to be special. A&M hasn't had a guy with some size like this kid in a while. He's got good speed, but can also break tackles.

duckpluck
12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
The Ags have recruited OL really hard this year. They have 4 or 5 really good OL recruits already verbal commited. Its gonna take a couple years but with the play of a lot of Freshmen this year and this class the Ags are working on things should get better.
Or else the coaching staff will change....again.

Macarthur
12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Javorskie Lane=no size?

J-Train doesn't exactly have breakaway speed.

I'm talking about a good power back that can actually run away from some people.

Electus Unus
12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
J-Train doesn't exactly have breakaway speed.

I'm talking about a good power back that can actually run away from some people. Christine Michael is very similar to Goodson. Powerback is not something I would call him.

sahen
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Christine Michael is very similar to Goodson. Powerback is not something I would call him.

i think he runs better between the tackles than goodson but is definitely not as fast....he is more of a hybrid speed/power back instead of completely power (a la Lane) or speed (a la Goodson)....

Macarthur
12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by sahen
i think he runs better between the tackles than goodson but is definitely not as fast....he is more of a hybrid speed/power back instead of completely power (a la Lane) or speed (a la Goodson)....

I would agree with this.

Michael has a thicker build than Goodson.

WestTxschwab
12-30-2008, 12:41 PM
it's not final yert, he will make an official announcement Jan. 2nd.

UPanIN
12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Of the three RB mentioned in this thread at least one will be a bust. Maybe two.

:dispntd: In what I've seen.

g$$
12-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
that's cool - wonder why his parents didn't just spell it that way? Is he French, by chance?

Mom's choice...I read an article during the season. She wanted a girl named Christine..since boy name is pronounced "Christian".

I don't care. Huge recruiting get & call him what you want. Need more just like him to turn the tide. O-line will be much improved. People forget just how good of a recruiter Sherm was asst. coach (Leeland McElroy, Calvin Collins, Kevin Smith, Brandon Mitchell, etc.). A&M will be better & soon.

Emerson1
01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Just committed officially

IHStangFan
01-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Also, you can never have too many quality running backs.

You don't pass on a guy like Michael just because you have a couple of decent backs.

We'll also need MUCH improved O-line play or it won't matter who is carrying the ball. True, True, and True..... UT has ALWAYS had them stacked 3 or more deep it seems like....great talent waiting in the wings for their chance, and it has worked out well for the Horns. Just a few names that come to mind....you can't think UT football and not think Earl Campbell...but then from there Metcalf, Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, Cedrick Benson, Selvin Young...etc. etc. etc.

With that said....good on the Ags....hope to seem my Aggies improve this coming season!!

Silverback 04
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just committed officially

It ain't official until the fax hits the floor.

nasa1
01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
the michael kid ran well at the Army game and can get around the corner......very fast. the whaley kid ran well up the middle and scored on a screen pass. best of luck to them both and pratt, wish he would have stayed in state.