PDA

View Full Version : Mangini Fired As Jets Head Coach

ILS1
12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
updated 23 minutes ago

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The New York Jets have fired coach Eric Mangini, a day after the team failed to make the playoffs.

The Jets started the season 8-3 under quarterback Brett Favre, but went 1-4 in their final five games and failed to make the playoffs for the second straight year despite a massive offseason spending spree.

The 37-year-old Mangini was 23-26 in three seasons in his first head coaching job.

The Jets were in first place in the AFC East before fading in the stretch.

“For the current New York Jets organization, we’ve made the decision to move on,” owner Woody Johnson said at a news conference Monday morning. “It’s a judgment call.”

Story Link (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28420680/)

crzyjournalist03
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Brett Favre comes out of retirement and costs Mangini his job. Before Favre, the team was expected to finish around 3rd in the division with a .500 record or worse.

Favre comes in, expectations soar, Favre and the team collapse in December, Mangini loses his job.

I actually feel sorry for Mangini.

Necks_Fan
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I think he had really turned the team around and the expectations were unfair. Favre isn't that good. Pennington was actually better at this point.

Anyway, let the Favre drama begin.

westcoast54
12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I would look for Marriuchi to be the next HC for the Jets. Especially if Farve were to stay.

crzyjournalist03
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
I would look for Marriuchi to be the next HC for the Jets. Especially if Farve were to stay.

I could see Cowher going there before I could see him coming to Dallas.