PDA

View Full Version : I will no longer be a fan of the Cowboys

Electus Unus
12-29-2008, 03:11 AM
if Tony Romo is the quarterback. So I pledge my fan hood to the Carolina Panthers

squid
12-29-2008, 06:27 AM
if you jump from team to team that quickly, 1) good bye, the Cowboys dont need you and 2) you must be 15 years old.

CelinaCatFan
12-29-2008, 08:10 AM
I have been and always will be a Cowboys fan. However, I do have 3 observations:

1. Phillips needs to go and Jerry Jones needs to officially name himself head coach. Then, JJ can get the credit that he deserves for the team's performance.

2. The Cowboys need a QB that can win BIG games.

3. I'm glad we did NOT play the Lions this year (can you say 1-15).

Phil C
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I have been a Cowboy fan since 1960 and have suffered through bad times and enjoyed the great times. I will remain a Cowboy fan.

BullsFan
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I've been a Cowboys fan since before I was old enough to understand football. I imagine I'll be one til the bitter end. I'm guessing if you're jumping teams that quickly, you probably are either very young or haven't been a fan for long. Believe me, we've had years WAY worse than this one.

ETA: 500 posts...FINALLY. If it wasn't a post about my loyalty to the Bulls, I'm glad it was a post about my loyalty to the Cowboys that kicked me over the line. :)

Pick6
12-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Believe me, we've had years WAY worse than this one.

I watched my 1st Cowboy game in 1977. This is by far the worse season they've ever had.

Bullaholic
12-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I watched my 1st Cowboy game in 1977. This is by far the worse season they've ever had.

Not record-wise---I remember JJ's first season in 89' and the Cowboys went 1-15. However, I think this season ranks right up there as being one of most disappointing in Cowboy's history because of the high expectations for this team.

Pick6
12-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Not record-wise---I remember JJ's first season in 89' and the Cowboys went 1-15. However, I think this season ranks right up there as being one of most disappointing in Cowboy's history because of the high expectations for this team.

I'd take 1-15 with heart over this team.

underware
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
GO HOUSTON TEXANS!! They're not in the payoffs either? Aw, Heck

/sad

themsu97
12-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I grew up loving the Cowboys, Landry, Schramm, Staubach, and Golden Richards, Billy Joe Dupree...
this past summer I got to meet Everson Walls and Michael Downs, two class acts and part of the reason the Cowboys were so loved, they were class acts...
then Jerry bought the team, and I love Jay Novacek, I love Moose and Babe Laufenberg is a great guy, but Jerry has turned into Steinbrenner, if you throw enough money at people it will fix itself... Jerry's ego has gotten in his way...
I have met several Cowboys and they are classy guys, the problem is that they have too many players who love the spotlight that ESPN will put on them either good or bad,
I love McNair and what he is trying to do with the Texans, so I root for the Texans

bobcat1
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd take 1-15 with heart over this team. :iagree: :ditto: Did I just agree with Pick6? :1omg!: :2thumbsup

charlesrixey
12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
:iagree: :ditto: Did I just agree with Pick6? :1omg!: :2thumbsup

agreed

i have been a cowboys fan since 91 or 92 (when i started to care about football) but to me, this is a huge disappointment

perhaps we just set our expectations too high?

Pick6
12-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
:iagree: :ditto: Did I just agree with Pick6? :1omg!: :2thumbsup

Must be your alzheimers kicking in :)

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Did anyone saying they would take the 1-15 team with heart actually watch that team?

Think yesterday OVER and OVER week after week after week

sorry I will take a team still playing for something last week of season over a 1-15 team

keenoace
12-29-2008, 02:28 PM
If I were Jerry Jones....I would not open the new stadium next year...knock down the old one and make the Cowgirls play in the Cotton Bowl. Give the cotton bowl one more year. I am ashamed to be a cowboy fan right now.

BullsFan
12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I would take the team we had when we went 1-15 in a heartbeat. To this day, Moose is my favorite football player EVER. But I have to agree with Txbroadcaster--seriously, you'd rather go 1-15 with "heart" than 9-7 with what we had this year? First off, I think it's a mistake to say this team didn't play with heart. I'm not saying they've gelled all seasons, but there were times when they were all out there. Second, I think it's a stretch to say that the 1-15 team had "heart". There was nothing to cheer about that season. That was a hard, spiritless year, and ever game was a beating. Ugh. I never want to go back there again.

Does anyone else have HBO? Did you watch Hard Knocks? I wonder if having all the cameras following them around during preseason had any effect. At the very least, it was a distraction during training camp, and at worst it may have had them believing the hype.

Pick6
12-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Did anyone saying they would take the 1-15 team with heart actually watch that team?

Think yesterday OVER and OVER week after week after week

sorry I will take a team still playing for something last week of season over a 1-15 team

Yes, I would watch. I watch'em all in 89 and didn't see the mess that I saw yesterday.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, I would watch. I watch'em all in 89 and didn't see the mess that I saw yesterday.

sorry but that is overreacting to yesterday

the 89 team got shut out 3 times

scored less than 15 points 12 times out of 16 games

gave up 27 points 10 times

was until the Lions this year and Dolphins last year maybe the worst team since 1980

there was no "heart" on that team..or talent except for in one or two positions

The game yesterday looked bad, it was bad, but it was also a classic case of a game getting away from a team once they got down.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I would take the team we had when we went 1-15 in a heartbeat. To this day, Moose is my favorite football player EVER. .

Moose was not on that team, he was picked in the 90 draft

Pick6
12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
sorry but that is overreacting to yesterday

Call it an overreaction if you want, but as far as I'm concerned, this year's team has tarnished The Star more than any team in it's history.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Call it an overreaction if you want, but as far as I'm concerned, this year's team has tarnished The Star more than any team in it's history.

I just dont think a down year when everyone expected a good year is "tarnishing the star"

Yes they underpeformed, and have issues, but that is football, good teams collapse, bad teams have cinderella seasons.

ONE NFC team in the play-offs last year is back this year..every other team from last did not make it this year.

Do I want a coaching change...u bet, but I also dont think it is anywhere near time to gut the team and rebuild

GUNHO
12-29-2008, 03:50 PM
You come off a 13-3 season.You are picked to make the SB and by many to win it.You start with a bang winning your first 3 and BAM you finish the year 6 and 7 of your last 13 games ending up with a 9/7 record.What the heck happened?Were there to many injuries to overcome? That certainly didn't help.How do you go from a top QB in the league to one his head is being called for?How,with all the practices you and your receivers have had,can't seem to be on the same page?What about coaching?Seems like they didn't do their job either.If you screw up you should be held accountable for how you play by your coach If you keep on screwing up the coach should be held accountable.

BUT....

I have been a cowboy fan since the 60's.Since then I have seen all the above before .This is not the end.I will still follow my Boy's and could care less who will or will not.My team has 5 rings and will add another one year.:D

Farmersfan
12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
"We get up in the morning and live another day"!
"If we win then OK! If we don't then OK!"
"It's a fun game. We just keep on playing"!
"I've had worst things happen to me than losing a sporting event"!
"If this is the worst thing that happens to me I have a pretty good life".

All these things are quotes from the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys after the worst defeat in many, many years. Wade Phililps has made excuses for the players for 2 seasons now and this is what we get. When Philips first took over for Parcels this team went 11-1 and then proceeded to go 10-10. Is it a stretch to expect .500 next year???? If they don't make a change it isn't...

BullsFan
12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Moose was not on that team, he was picked in the 90 draft

Let me rephrase then--I would take the team we had in the early 90s, before success picked off our best players and attrition took the rest. I loved that team, probably because that was when I learned how football was played and was old enough to understand it.

But I still wouldn't trade what we had this year for a 1-15 season with that team. Or any team.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
"We get up in the morning and live another day"!
"If we win then OK! If we don't then OK!"
"It's a fun game. We just keep on playing"!
"I've had worst things happen to me than losing a sporting event"!
"If this is the worst thing that happens to me I have a pretty good life".

sorry but I kind of agree with him

I love football, but it is not life or death and at the end of the day if losing a game is worst thing that happens, then he is right he has a good life

BullsFan
12-29-2008, 06:45 PM

I love football, but it is not life or death and at the end of the day if losing a game is worst thing that happens, then he is right he has a good life

That's fine for you or I to think that way, but we're not getting paid millions to win those games that apparently don't count for much in life.

Emerson1
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM

When you are getting paid tens of millions of dollars of the fans money who come to watch you then it becomes more then just a game. It's not a game it's a job.

I can agree with that statement at the HS level, and some what at the college level, but in no way is the NFL just a game.

BuffyMars
12-29-2008, 06:56 PM
That's fine for you or I to think that way, but we're not getting paid millions to win those games that apparently don't count for much in life.

well..honestly...What does the outcome of a game mean in the grand scale of life?

They are entertainers..We pay to watch them, they get paid to perform. No different than an actor

sometimes the actor is in a movie that his role wins at the end..sometimes they are in roles that they die...either way we pay to watch them perform

Only difference is in sports we dont know the outcome

Pick6
12-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

Only difference is in sports we dont know the outcome

Sure we do, if Dallas is playing a big game they will lose because they lack heart.

Trashman
12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I have been watching the Cowpokes since 1970. I have always been a fan, good or bad. Jerry bought the team and fired Tom Landry and I wavered a little because of the way that he handled the firing. Jimmy got the job and did great; he was in charge of all personnel matters. Jimmy quit and Jerry took over personnel and the team has generally gone down hill since. Even the Tuna couldn't save the Cowboys. Can you say Oakland Raiders? That is where we are headed. Jerry Jones is an Al Davis in training.

We have all been waiting for a return to dominance. Gentlemen, it ain't a comin' any time soon, and I'm damn tired of waiting.:(

LH Panther Mom
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
well..honestly...What does the outcome of a game mean in the grand scale of life?
Good point! In the grand scale of life and the real world, if you or I stink up the joint at our jobs, we get fired. :doh:

BuffyMars
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's not a game it's a job.

. ]

yep it is a job...And just like any other job, once that day is over you go home to to family and more important things in life

just because someone makes the comments he makes does not mean he is not a competitor, just means he is able to move on. I see nothing wrong with that. Just because he is not hiding in his locker crying does not mean the loss des not affect him. Just means he tries to keep life in perspective.

BuffyMars
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Good point! In the grand scale of life and the real world, if you or I stink up the joint at our jobs, we get fired. :doh:

and players and coaches get fired all the time

LH Panther Mom
12-29-2008, 07:19 PM
and players and coaches get fired all the time
Yes, they do, but they can stink with the same team a lot longer than we could our jobs. ;)

Diocletian
12-29-2008, 07:20 PM
At least I'm not the only one that thinks Romo is not the right choice.

Sometimes it's obvious to see if someone is a winner or loser after seeing them perform.

Emerson1
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
At least I'm not the only one that thinks Romo is not the right choice.

Sometimes it's obvious to see if someone is a winner or loser after seeing them perform.
What is your solution then? Who do they bring in?

slpybear the bullfan
12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I'd take 1-15 with heart over this team.

What makes you think there was any heart that year?

It was as ugly, if not uglier, than this year.

But it sure got fun soon afterwards!!!

Pick6
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
What makes you think there was any heart that year?

It was as ugly, if not uglier, than this year.

But it sure got fun soon afterwards!!!

The guys back then knew they'd get cut if they didn't give all they had.

This year was by far uglier, the most talent in the league and they quit when they needed it the most.

wtfootball
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

I remember the 1-15 season, we beat the Redskins in Washington. This team was much more dissapointing in my books. The 1-15 team had very little talent and a coach that threw fits after each loss. This team has a coach and a qb that has an oh well attitude after a loss. Much of this team does not deserve to put on that helment with the star on it. A good start with the cuts would be Phillips and find someone that actually has the ability to manage others, then pacman and work your way up from there. We have the core to be dominant, leadership killed us this year. It hurts and in this ole boy's opinion since 66 to 08, this is the most disapointing team, maybe not the worst but most disapointing without a doubt.

skins4life
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have been a Cowboy fan since 1960 and have suffered through bad times and enjoyed the great times. I will remain a Cowboy fan.

That my friends is a true fan!!!

I feel the same way about the RedSkins!!
:) :) :)

scrub c
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
if Tony Romo is the quarterback. So I pledge my fan hood to the Carolina Panthers

why not show a little love to the Texans?