PDA

View Full Version : Bill Parcell's could become a free agent.

Sweetwater Red
12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
My question is why would he want to go to Raiders while Al Davis
is still in control?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795922

Will Bill Parcells become a free agent -- again?

Bill Parcells' contract with the Dolphins allows him to leave the team if owner Wayne Huizenga sells his majority share.
It's a possibility, hinging on whether Miami Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga's sale of his majority ownership of the team goes through, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

When Parcells joined the Dolphins as executive vice president of football operations last year, his deal included a one-time out clause that allowed him to walk away, with the rest of his $12 million guaranteed contract fully paid, no strings attached, if Huizenga sold the team.

Earlier this year, Huizenga agreed to sell 95 percent of the Dolphins to New York developer Stephen Ross. Huizenga hopes to close on the deal by early January to ensure that the capital gains taxes on the sale remain at 15 percent before President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office in January, Mortensen reported.

Parcells' contract specifically states only Huizenga can be in authority over him. Once Ross officially becomes majority owner, Parcells has to notify Ross within 30 days that he intends to exercise his walk-away clause and collect the full balance of $9 million, Mortensen reported.

At that time, Parcells would be a free agent. And any team that wants his services would not owe compensation to the Dolphins, according to the report.

Among the teams sources say are on Parcells' radar are the New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders. However, if Parcells' son-in-law, New England Patriots vice president Scott Pioli, is interested in any of those jobs, Parcells is unlikely to wind up with that team, Mortensen reported.

Parcells could negotiate with Ross to extend his opt-out clause by one year. But as presently written, the clause doesn't extend after one season, according to the report.

PurpleFreddy
12-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Since when did Parcells have an apostrophe in his name? (Parcell's)??

Johnny Utah
12-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Smart business man!

Sweetwater Red
12-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Smart business man!

A hired gun like Deion Sanders?:thinking:

If I'm not mistaken Deion is still getting payed by Atlanta, Dallas,
and Washington.:rolleyes: :D

Johnny Utah
12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Props to him, he is getting paid no matter the situation. You can not disagree with Parcells Football savvy!! He is a genius in some ways and knows how to win.

crzyjournalist03
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I honestly don't understand why Parcells gets a free pass wherever he goes. People like him because he's tough, but his heyday has long come and gone. Now he's been bailing on franchises for higher dollars for a decade and everybody still thinks the world of him.

WylieBulldog92
12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I honestly don't understand why Parcells gets a free pass wherever he goes. People like him because he's tough, but his heyday has long come and gone. Now he's been bailing on franchises for higher dollars for a decade and everybody still thinks the world of him.
So you're saying you wouldn't leave when you've accomplished something and could go get another crap load of millions I don't see your problem with this guy, it isn't like he is holding out for contract when he hasn't prove he can do anything yet.

Macarthur
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Big Bill has been going through the motions for a couple of years as a coach. He's a good personel guy and knows how to build a team, but you could tell the last year or two with the Cowboys that he was burnt out.