PDA

View Full Version : College Football Scholarship offers

SHSBulldog00
12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone know of any 3A players being offered or accepting scholarships for football?

If you know offers please post them. This is for all offers. DI, DII, DIII, JUCO

Astrosdawg07
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Anyone know of any 3A players being offered or accepting scholarships for football?

If you know offers please post them. This is for all offers. DI, DII, DIII, JUCO

Matthew Tucker (Chapel Hill)----- TCU

SHSBulldog00
12-25-2008, 11:09 PM
DE Josh Higgins - Sweeny

Missouri, Oklahoma State, A&M, TCU, Houston, UTEP

TE Terrel Bedford - Sweeny

Baylor, Houston, Texas State

There are more kids but I can't currently remember

WylieBulldog92
12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I know Jesse Jennings is getting looked at from New Mexico State but not sure if they offered yet.

SHSBulldog00
12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
RB Garrett Nunn - Bellville (UTEP)

OT LaAdrian Waddle - Columbus (Texas Tech)

g$$
12-26-2008, 01:13 AM
DE Josh Higgins - Sweeny

Missouri, Oklahoma State, A&M, TCU, Houston, UTEP

TE Terrel Bedford - Sweeny

Baylor, Houston, Texas State

There are more kids but I can't currently remember

Official offers or a chance to walk-on?

SHSBulldog00
12-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Official offers or a chance to walk-on?

These are the official offers

SHSBulldog00
12-26-2008, 12:30 PM
RB Dexter Pratt - Navasota (LSU)

RB Chris Whaley - Madisonville (Texas)

FB Edward Wright - Sweeny (Houston)

LB Tyrell Griffin - Sweeny (Houston)

DT Gilbert Gonzalez - Sweeny (Houston, Sam Houston State)

SS Lance Colbert - Sweeny (Howard Payne)

SHSBulldog00
12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Do any of the West Columbia fans know where thweir guys may be headed?

Also, where is the RB from Carthage heading?

Necks_Fan
12-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Also, where is the RB from Carthage heading? I'm honestly not sure.

I know we don't have naybody getting scholarships to play Div 1.

Any word on where A. Rollins is going to play?

bp80884
12-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Also, where is the RB from Carthage heading?

I thought I heard the Carthage running back was being looked at by USC but grades might be an issue so he was looking at JUCO. There area few great JUCO teams here in texas (Navarro- former national champ, Tyler Junior College, Trinity Valley). I just love it when these young men go to school.

sinton66
12-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Smith kid from Carthage was contacted by Angelo State, but don't know the outcome.

SHSBulldog00
12-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I'm honestly not sure.

I know we don't have naybody getting scholarships to play Div 1.

Any word on where A. Rollins is going to play?

The last I heard on FS Aaron Rollins - Sweeny was that he wants to play baseball.

QB Ryan Hornback - Sweeny he is heading to San Jac (baseball) I believe to pitch with his brother Riley.

SHSBulldog00
12-26-2008, 11:55 PM
IHSTANG Fan any info on the Needville players?

IHStangFan
12-27-2008, 12:02 AM
IHSTANG Fan any info on the Needville players? Hey SHS....I haven't heard anything. I have kinda been outa the loop since hear the end of the season with work. I can try to find out though. I DO know a couple of the kids from last year's team ended up at Blinn.

lsimm1413
12-27-2008, 12:15 AM
QB from Glen Rose has committed to North Texas.

Eagle1
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Where is the receiver from China Spring Hicks going? Also where is the LB from Liberty Hill going?

Eagle1
12-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Also where are the TE and offensive tackle for Liberty Hill going these guys were very good.

Rabid Cougar
12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Eagle1
Where is the receiver from China Spring Hicks going? Also where is the LB from Liberty Hill going?

Hicks has no offers.

Rocket Dad
12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Hicks - grades ? Just asking because of some talk. I hope his grades are not an issue because he has some football talent for sure.

LH Panther Mom
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Also where are the TE and offensive tackle for Liberty Hill going these guys were very good.
Both are still up in the air. I know the OT hasn't received any offers, but has the interest of several schools. As far as I know, the TE's status is the same.

Eagle1
12-27-2008, 04:45 PM
How or why do the kids at Liberty Hill not get any better scholarships? I don't want to hear any bull about how their kids are not all that talented they just play as a team. The end Poitier last year signed with Sam Houston, but was the MVP of the high school allstar game. He was as good or better than any DI players in that game but only signed with Sam Houston. Why didn't the big FB they had sign with anyone, what is he doing now? I can promise you the TE and LB can and should play DI football. The tackle may be a bit short for DI standards but he is a player.

Rocket Dad
12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
The FB from '06-'07 played JV ball at UMHB this year.

3afan
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
How or why do the kids at Liberty Hill not get any better scholarships? ...

didnt know there were any "bad" scholarships ...

SHSBulldog00
12-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Honestly there are no "bad" scholarships....I told my nephew's that if you receive an offer to take your time to determine if you feel comfortable with the situation and the campus.

RMAC
12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
James Scott, Coldspring - Texas Tech
Casey Pachall, Brownwood - TCU
Matthew Tucker, Tyler Chapel Hill - TCU
Brandal Jackson, Navasota - A&M
Kenny Vaccaro, Brownwood - Texas
Stavion Lowe, Brownwood - LSU
Ryan Boutwell, China Spring - UNT
Derek Thompson, Glen Rose - UNT

Rabid Cougar
12-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Hicks - grades ? Just asking because of some talk. I hope his grades are not an issue because he has some football talent for sure.

There are no issues that I know of.

Matthew328
12-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Colleges look for measurables and upside. From my talking to recruiters they feel a lot of the Liberty Hill kids are finished products. IE they don't have a lot of upside, when I watched Liberty Hill I saw a lot of really good I-AA and D2 kids, which makes a great team but no one that stood out as a Division 1 athlete.

LH Panther Mom
12-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Colleges look for measurables and upside. From my talking to recruiters they feel a lot of the Liberty Hill kids are finished products. IE they don't have a lot of upside, when I watched Liberty Hill I saw a lot of really good I-AA and D2 kids, which makes a great team but no one that stood out as a Division 1 athlete.
You should talk to some D2 recruiters then, because they play the exact same "numbers" game as the D1's, at least for certain positions. It's a big racket, in part perpetuated by the force-feeding of "potential" (i.e. "the mold").

KATS
12-28-2008, 08:53 AM
The big differences between DI as compared to IAA and D2 are the number of scholarships that are available.

If you sign DI scholarship, the school pays the full amount of the cost of one year.

At IAA and D2, they do not have to pay the full amount of the cost. Many of these schools look to 1/2 scholarship kids when at all possible. They look for grants and academic money that is available first. Then they pay for the remaining. This allows them to get more athletes.

I have also heard that the NCAA is starting to become stricter on the scholarship. For example, a college coach told us that if a college offers a scholarship, the student accepts but then fails out of college, the school does not get that $$$$ back until the student should have graduated. If a freshman failed out, the school would not get that $$$ back for 3 years.

SHSBulldog00
12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey KATS,

Thanks for the clarification.

TRENCHES06
12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
LH Panther mom--who is your son talking to? and when did his recruiting pick up the most?

Rabid Cougar
12-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Smaller classification HS football players will always have a stigma attached to them. There will always be the question of competition. If a kid from a 3A program played in a 5A program there would be a huge difference in interest by recruiters.

Rocket Dad
12-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Evaluating high school football talent is not an exact science. Most of the criteria is whether or not players fit in certain "slots" for the level they are being recruited - Ht., Wt., speed are the big 3. Some kids are missed because they do not fit in the slot, others are in the slot and do not ever see the field in college. The one day camps in the summer are big because the college coaches actually see the players move. I would say make darn sure you really want to play college ball because it is a full-time job. Lots of investment, lots of rewards. Bottom line is really the degree chance one has in college. The football is just icing on the cake.

Matthew328
12-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Here's what I mean by potential. Rex Burkhead is a perfect example colleges either loved him or stayed far away. Why is that?? He's got the measurables, he was a productive player so why did some schools stay far away?

A recruiter from a prominent big 12 school told me a lot of schools feel like he's maxed out and he's not going to get better. He's got great coaching, the best facilities, he's been to all the off-season camps and performance courses. There's not much else he can do to get better. Colleges might pick a guy who has the same exact measurables and is a good player but maybe they feel like he's got more potential .

It's an inexact science and there's a ton of reasons why some kids get recruited hard and others don't. Half the time its simply a guy's opinion.

87 TIGER
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Nic Hammett Rockdale - Rice

MamaBull
12-28-2008, 09:55 PM
im mamabulls son, sorry for the confusion, and i played right across the line of scrimmage from OT 74 from LH in the quarterfinal game. he was hands down the best tackle ive been against, he has the run blocking ability to go wherever the heck he wants to, however LH does not pass the ball much and his pass blocking may be weaker than other prospects. but with out a doubt the will go D2 or 3. and TE was ok, but not great.

Troybuilt
12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Casey Paschall --- TCU

Shelby Miller --- Texas A & M, ( if not drafted into the MLB)

TRENCHES06
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM

LH Panther Mom
12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MamaBull
im mamabulls son, sorry for the confusion, and i played right across the line of scrimmage from OT 74 from LH in the quarterfinal game. he was hands down the best tackle ive been against, he has the run blocking ability to go wherever the heck he wants to, however LH does not pass the ball much and his pass blocking may be weaker than other prospects. but with out a doubt the will go D2 or 3. and TE was ok, but not great.
Awwwww - I appreciate your feedback! :kiss:

And yes, with us not passing much, his pass blocking is likely weaker than other prospects. A couple of schools mentioned that he might best fit (with his height) an OL at Center & he's perfectly fine with that.

Originally posted by TRENCHES06
LH Panther mom--who is your son talking to? and when did his recruiting pick up the most?
I don't know that his recruiting really has ever picked up because I don't have much to compare it to. The D2 schools that have shown the most interest with phone calls, visits, etc. are Truman State & Incarnate Word. There are also some D3's interested, which may be his best option.

LH Panther Mom
01-18-2009, 11:29 PM
The OT (my son) committed Saturday to play DT for Incarnate Word.

How or why do the kids at Liberty Hill not get any better scholarships?
And the scholarship he was offered was a heck of a deal. :)

block&tackle
01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Most sincere congratulations.

I can imagine the relief and the joy in getting this step in his life taken care of. Best of luck to him and IW with their entry into the LSC. Should be a lot of fun!

Bullaholic
01-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Congrats to your son, LHPM. I know your whole family is very proud of him, and from what I've heard on here, he is also a very fine young man. Best wishes to him for a great college athletic and academic career.

solocam
01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Congrats to Brandon,and to Malcom and Debbie as well

NTFan
01-19-2009, 11:14 AM
He's just a junior, but Celina's Caleb Lavey already has written offers from TCU, Texas Tech, and Arkansas

44INAROW
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats to the Brandon and the Terry family :clap: :clap: Looking forward to watching him play ;)

falcon66
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Andrew Ratliff OT for Llano recieved a scholarship to SFA

MamaBull
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
He's just a junior, but Celina's Caleb Lavey already has written offers from TCU, Texas Tech, and Arkansas
i heard arkansas was the only one that offered.

bp80884
01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Congrats to your son, LHPM. I know your whole family is very proud of him, and from what I've heard on here, he is also a very fine young man. Best wishes to him for a great college athletic and academic career.

Congrats LHPM. I know you are a proud mommy!!!

mnlavey
02-04-2009, 01:20 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by MamaBull
i heard arkansas was the only one that offered.

Caleb has offers from Arkansas, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Notre Dame. Two other schools (Big 12, Pac 10) had told him the offer is on its way.

Equally exciting (for mom and dad) is his brother Josh has been offered and accepted a full tuition ride to Alabama.

Go Cats!

orange machine
02-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by mnlavey
quote:

Caleb has offers from Arkansas, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Notre Dame. Two other schools (Big 12, Pac 10) had told him the offer is on its way.

Equally exciting (for mom and dad) is his brother Josh has been offered and accepted a full tuition ride to Alabama.

Go Cats!

Thats awsome to hear. It would be cool if both brothers could go to Alabama.

Bullaholic
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
NATIONAL SIGNING DAY - Eight area athletes will sign national letters of intent this morning on the first day of the spring college scholarship signing period. In football, Decatur wide receiver Chad Harrison and Bridgeport linebacker Zach Bracken will make their commitments official to Midwestern State University. Six athletes from Northwest will be inking their futures today as well. In soccer, Aaron Stares is on his way to St. Mary's University, while Mallory McGilvary is headed to Arkansas State University and Katelyn Ross will make her plans official to play at Lamar University. In softball, Melissa Hiatt will be signing with Western College while Nicole Richardson has chosen to play at Binghamton University. Golfer Julie Daneshfar will be inking her future with Dallas Baptist University.

Reprint from "Wise County Messenger Update"- Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009