PDA

View Full Version : Rockets trade Francis

kepdawg
12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Francis traded to Grizzlies

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: December 24, 2008, 2:56 PM ET

Nearly a decade after he was reluctantly drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies, Steve Francis is going to the Memphis Grizzlies.

Yet it remains to be seen whether the injury-plagued guard -- who convinced Vancouver to trade him to the Houston Rockets before he ever played an NBA game -- makes it onto the court in Memphis.

The Grizzlies acquired Francis on Wednesday in a trade with the Rockets in exchange for a conditional second-round pick in 2011. The trade also calls for Memphis to re-acquire a 2009 second-rounder which it had dealt to Houston on draft day in June and for the Rockets, according to NBA front-office sources, to pay the remainder of Francis' $2.6 million salary for this season.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told ESPN.com that the trade was made with the intent of keeping Francis and giving the 31-year-old an opportunity to prove that he can still play. But Francis, whom the Grizzlies expect to report by the weekend, has been out since February after surgery to repair a torn tendon in his right knee.

Although he remains one of the most popular players in Rockets history after his first stint with the club, Houston has been hoping for months to find a trade taker for Francis, since shedding his contract creates the flexibility under the NBA's luxury-tax threshold that the Rockets need to sign another player.

It has been widely presumed in NBA front-office circles that Dikembe Mutombo would be that player. Back in training camp, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey described the prospect of re-signing Mutombo as "our P.J. Brown move," referring to the Boston Celtics' signing of Brown well after last season started. Mutombo even still has a Rockets locker at the Toyota Center, even though the 42-year-old center has not been with the team since May.

Mutombo, though, said at a recent fund-raiser for his hospital in his native Congo that he "will be in Boston or San Antonio by the end of the year." Celtics coach Doc Rivers has confirmed that Boston is interested in signing the 17-year veteran center but said as recently as last week that he still expects Mutombo to go back to Houston.

Francis averaged 19.0 points, 6.3 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 steals in six-plus seasons with the Rockets. He was the main piece Houston surrendered in its trade with Orlando in the summer of Tracy McGrady, but Francis only wound up playing 10 games with the Rockets last season after returning to the team as a free agent in July 2007, averaging just 5.5 points and 3.0 assists.

As the second overall pick in the 1999 draft out of Maryland, Francis immediately voiced his reluctance to play in Vancouver and eventually coerced the Grizzlies into dealing him to Houston in a three-team, 11-player trade. He was the NBA's co-Rookie of the Year with Elton Brand in 2000 and made three All-Star appearances for the Rockets -- two as a starter voted in by the fans -- before a series of injuries and disappointments derailed Francis' career.

An up-and-down stint with the Magic deteriorated quickly after Francis' best friend, Cuttino Mobley, was traded to Sacramento halfway through Francis' and Mobley's first season in Orlando. The Magic then moved Francis to the New York Knicks at the 2006 trade deadline, but then-coach Isiah Thomas' belief that Francis and Stephon Marbury could co-exist never panned out. That Francis' health was fading didn't help.

Portland acquired Francis on draft day in 2007 as part of a deal sending Zach Randolph to the Knicks but the Trail Blazers quickly bought out the remainder of Francis' contract, setting up his return to the Rockets.

Phil C
12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
:(

Necks_Fan
12-25-2008, 11:15 AM
The Rockets got HOSED on this trade.

They swap 2nd round picks, give up Francis and the Rockets have to pick up all of Francis' salary?

:thinking:

JasperDog94
12-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
and for the Rockets, according to NBA front-office sources, to pay the remainder of Francis' $2.6 million salary for this season.

...shedding his contract creates the flexibility under the NBA's luxury-tax threshold that the Rockets need to sign another player.
If the Rockets are paying the remainder of his salary, how does this lower their salary cap?

Necks_Fan
12-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If the Rockets are paying the remainder of his salary, how does this lower their salary cap? Something about that doesn't make too much sense.:thinking:

carter08
12-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Francis never accomplished anything as a Rocket.

JasperDog94
12-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Francis never accomplished anything as a Rocket. I never understood why everyone was so in love with him.:confused:

coach
12-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I never understood why everyone was so in love with him.:confused:

they traded the wrong guy...they need to get rid of that mcgrady fellow

JasperDog94
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by coach
they traded the wrong guy...they need to get rid of that mcgrady fellow Honestly, I have mixed feelings about McGrady. I think they have the team to make it at least to the conference finals, but T-Mac must be more consistent for them to do so.

DUKE22
12-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about McGrady. I think they have the team to make it at least to the conference finals, but T-Mac must be more consistent for them to do so. Yeah and the main thing with them is for him and Yao to stay healthy. Have they ever had both of them for a full season. I also think they need an upgrade at point guard. I really dont see why the Francis story is even news I had forgotten all about him.

Astrosdawg07
12-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Yeah and the main thing with them is for him and Yao to stay healthy. Have they ever had both of them for a full season. I also think they need an upgrade at point guard. I really dont see why the Francis story is even news I had forgotten all about him.

I like the PG combo we have now, however I would like to see Brooks starting w/ Rafer coming off the bench.

Necks_Fan
12-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I like the PG combo we have now, however I would like to see Brooks starting w/ Rafer coming off the bench. I agree. AB looks GOOD.

Kids got a great shot and is improving ball handling.

PG of the future.

DUKE22
12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I agree. AB looks GOOD.

Kids got a great shot and is improving ball handling.

PG of the future. Yeah brooks is playing well. So you think with the team they have right now it is enough, assuming they stay healthy. Or is a trade of some sort necessary.

WylieBulldog92
12-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Is AB the Aaron Brooks kid from Oregon? If so he's a scoring point guard and he is damn good.

DUKE22
12-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Is AB the Aaron Brooks kid from Oregon? If so he's a scoring point guard and he is damn good. Yeah he is from Oregon.

Necks_Fan
12-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Is AB the Aaron Brooks kid from Oregon? If so he's a scoring point guard and he is damn good. Yep. Last couple games he has been putting up some good numbers. scored 25 one game.

He looks good and Rafer looks old.

And, I think McGrady will have to go before they win a Championship. I like the rest though.

DUKE22
12-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yep. Last couple games he has been putting up some good numbers. scored 25 one game.

He looks good and Rafer looks old.

And, I think McGrady will have to go before they win a Championship. I like the rest though. The problem with trading TMAC is getting equal value. I mean who would you trade him for that someone would let go of and it would be an even trade.

g$$
12-26-2008, 01:33 AM
If the Rockets are paying the remainder of his salary, how does this lower their salary cap?

Because the Rockets are now under the luxury tax, & Francis' salary can be paid off in due time in agreement w/ Memphis. It makes no sense to us but those are the rules. Francis gets his $$ either way. His salary #s basically come off the books as far as getting under the tax. They hope to re-sign Mutombo as they need help in the frontcourt.

This is not news. Houston just wanted to find a taker & be done w/ him. Rick Adeleman did not want him around, always avoided questions about him. The owner, Les Alexander, pushed for them to bring Francis back & he basically made $5 million to do nothing over the past 2 years.

Francis is done as a star caliber player & his best years are way behind him. Never impresseed me anyway other than his highlight plays. Way too many bad, street ball plays too. He was very good in the community though & did some generous things for kids.

coach
12-26-2008, 02:32 AM
we can trade tmac for dirk

DUKE22
12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by coach
we can trade tmac for dirk Yeah i bet you would but I dont see Dallas doing that. The only thing you are getting for TMAC is draft picks which does not help this year.

buffalo2006
12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I always like Francis and hoped he would've gotten a second chance but Aldeman never liked him.

Also I've agree that AB is better than Skip but when the starters go out they have to atleast have someone that can spark something.