PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys need tough coach

orange machine
12-24-2008, 01:35 AM
The perfect coach as stated on the NFL network would be none other then Bill Cowher. Tough spit in your face type coach. With all the players with rap sheets pluse the ones who think they should be in the spot light all the time Cowher seems like the perfect fit.

MJMbrahmas10
12-24-2008, 01:41 AM
i agree.... put wade a DC and fire garret
that would be super bowl material

blowfish
12-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Bill Cower is a joke.

Trashman
12-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
The perfect coach as stated on the NFL network would be none other then Bill Cowher. Tough spit in your face type coach. With all the players with rap sheets pluse the ones who think they should be in the spot light all the time Cowher seems like the perfect fit.

Never happen with Jerry in charge. He wants to coach the team and the only way to do it is hire limp wristed coaches. The Tuna had the most control of any coach since Jimmy Johnson and we all know how that turned out. Jerry undermined him at every turn.

Bullaholic
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Bill Cower is a joke.

Tell him that.....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Tell him that.....

I would, because I feel the exact same way. What the Cowboys really needs is a good quarterback. I've been saying Tony Romo isn't the future for awhile now and at the end of the past two seasons he has proven me right. I'm more worried about the QB than I am the Head Coach, because even though the play calling is shady at times, the times when we do have a chance to make a play we can't because Romo chokes.

Necks_Fan
12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Bring back Parcells!

Bullaholic
12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I would, because I feel the exact same way. What the Cowboys really needs is a good quarterback. I've been saying Tony Romo isn't the future for awhile now and at the end of the past two seasons he has proven me right. I'm more worried about the QB than I am the Head Coach, because even though the play calling is shady at times, the times when we do have a chance to make a play we can't because Romo chokes.

I agree with some about Romo---until he proves himself in a big game that counts he will still have some ???? over his head and will not be called a great NFL QB until then.

Disagree on the head coach part. I'm old school and I think this bunch of Jerry Jones "marquee only" players would benefit greatly from a Mike Singletary or the return of Jimmy Johnson. One of the best teams in the NFL, the NY Giants, found themselves in similar straights a few years back until they hired Tom Coughlin---an "old school" coach who the players tried to get fired because he was too much of a disciplinarian and task master. How do you like em' now? No substitute for hard work and discipline under a firm but fair hand---you of all people should know that, BBDE.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with some about Romo---until he proves himself in a big game that counts he will still have some ???? over his head and will not be called a great NFL QB until then.

Disagree on the head coach part. I'm old school and I think this bunch of Jerry Jones "marquee only" players would benefit greatly from a Mike Singletary or the return of Jimmy Johnson. One of the best teams in the NFL, the NY Giants, found themselves in similar straights a few years back until they hired Tom Coughlin---an "old school" coach who the players tried to get fired because he was too much of a disciplinarian and task master. How do you like em' now? No substitute for hard work and discipline under a firm but fair hand---you of all people should know that, BBDE.

I agree with that too, but I think the Cowboys are a better team than they were under Parcells. We can go through a lot of reasons for it, but I think at the end of the day as long as you respect your coach and believe in him as a player, that's all that matters. You don't have to be in their face all the time and on their ass to get them to do what they need to do to be successful, there are other ways of encouraging them to do these things, and I think that Wade has done a pretty decent job of doing that. The games that they have lost this year are more in large part due to the quarterback play of Romo and Johnson than the play calling or the defensive schemes.

waterboy
12-24-2008, 11:08 AM
This Cowboy team has all the pieces in place to be a definitive competitor for the Vince Lombardi trophy this year. The problem is they don't have the team discipline to get it done, at least they haven't shown it. Discipline is the head coach's job, ordinarily, but with Jerry Jones being omnipresent as he is, I think the blame rests more on him. Unless he can sit back and let the coach do his job I don't see ANY coach having a lasting impact in Dallas. I don't think Jerry Jones intends to be overbearing, and I believe he will do whatever it takes for the Cowboys to be a winner, but if he would just step back and let the coaches make all the TEAM decisions the Cowboys would be better off. The ONLY time he needs to be involved is in the off-season when personnel decisions are made. Just my opinion, though.

pirate4state
12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
This Cowboy team has all the pieces in place to be a definitive competitor for the Vince Lombardi trophy this year. The problem is they don't have the team discipline to get it done, at least they haven't shown it. Discipline is the head coach's job, ordinarily, but with Jerry Jones being omnipresent as he is, I think the blame rests more on him. Unless he can sit back and let the coach do his job I don't see ANY coach having a lasting impact in Dallas. I don't think Jerry Jones intends to be overbearing, and I believe he will do whatever it takes for the Cowboys to be a winner, but if he would just step back and let the coaches make all the TEAM decisions the Cowboys would be better off. The ONLY time he needs to be involved is in the off-season when personnel decisions are made. Just my opinion, though.

I agree. I know he's spent a lot of $$$, but trust the decisions you've made, in hiring Phillips and let him & his staff do their jobs!

Bullaholic
12-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by waterboy

I've got a different take on Jerry Jones----he likes to get really involved in player selection and acquisition, but I don't think he takes that much of a hand in play-calling. I think he hires his coach and lets them run things according to their philosophies and says---"Just win, baby" like Al Davis (his personal hero) does.
That is why Parcells was too detached from players who were not designated "Parcell guys" and Wade Smith is allowed to be too laid back. There is too much of the "tail wagging the dog" going on in Dallas with the players right now. I think Jones has got to step up to bat and have a locker room meeting with his players and deliver the message-"Men, I ain't getting what I've paid big bucks for, and I'm here to tell you that I won't miss the NFL playoffs or go 1-and-done with the same faces twice".

waterboy
12-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I've got a different take on Jerry Jones----he likes to get really involved in player selection and acquisition, but I don't think he takes that much of a hand in play-calling. I think he hires his coach and lets them run things according to their philosophies and says---"Just win, baby" like Al Davis (his personal hero) does.
That is why Parcells was too detached from players who were not designated "Parcell guys" and Wade Smith is allowed to be too laid back. There is too much of the "tail wagging the dog" going on in Dallas with the players right now. I think Jones has got to step up to bat and have a locker room meeting with his players and deliver the message-"Men, I ain't getting what I've paid big bucks for, and I'm here to tell you that I won't miss the NFL playoffs or go 1-and-done with the same faces twice".
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know he's not involved in the play-calling. What I am saying is maybe he shouldn't be so omnipresent.....kinda like a cloud over the team. Some players may not respect the coach if the one they are truly answering to is the "big cahone", Jerry Jones. I suspect the coach is powerless to take any disciplinary actions without the consent of Jerry Jones. If that's the case, it stands to reason that the line of authority is compromised. I've seen it first hand, having been a foreman myself at one time. Your hands are tied sometimes because disciplinary action has to be explained and okayed through the chain of command. That right there makes the head coach a lame duck. Not good when action needs to be taken.......sometimes impulsively to get the due respect for authority needed by an employee/player.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, but Brad Johnson is absolutely horrible at QB and they lost games because of it. Romo choked and cost the Cowboys some games. Just because there are some off-field issues you can watch them play and know that these issues are negligible when it comes to the greater scheme of things. A lot of things happen in locker rooms that you don't ever hear about, especially at the professional level, and unfortunately for the Cowboys, you hear it a little more often. That doesn't mean that other teams don't experience the same internal strife that the Cowboys have had. When I talk about discipline on the field, for the most part, the Cowboys have it. They don't always get along or see eye to eye, but they handle themselves professionally on the football field and that is all that matters. Receivers run their routes hard, linemen finish blocks, defensive players rally to the ball. That's discipline. Sure, there are distractions, but they do their jobs on the field and that is the most important discipline to have and it isn't anywhere close to being the reason for the Cowboys losing a single game this year.

Pick6
12-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Rumors that Mike Holmgren will have some job with Dallas next year has already started.

Bullaholic
12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry, but Brad Johnson is absolutely horrible at QB and they lost games because of it. Romo choked and cost the Cowboys some games. Just because there are some off-field issues you can watch them play and know that these issues are negligible when it comes to the greater scheme of things. A lot of things happen in locker rooms that you don't ever hear about, especially at the professional level, and unfortunately for the Cowboys, you hear it a little more often. That doesn't mean that other teams don't experience the same internal strife that the Cowboys have had. When I talk about discipline on the field, for the most part, the Cowboys have it. They don't always get along or see eye to eye, but they handle themselves professionally on the football field and that is all that matters. Receivers run their routes hard, linemen finish blocks, defensive players rally to the ball. That's discipline. Sure, there are distractions, but they do their jobs on the field and that is the most important discipline to have and it isn't anywhere close to being the reason for the Cowboys losing a single game this year.

I agree with that, BBDE. I think the core of the player issue is the "larger than life" egos that many of Cowboy players command. Jerry Jones thinks that if he pays the big bucks for the marquee players that they are going to automatically perform on the field. That is not, has not, and will not be so, in a lot of player's cases because they believe that just their presence and going thru the motions on the field will cause Dallas to be a championship football team, plus they have already gotten big bonus $$$ up front from jerry with no chances of losing it. All player contracts should somehow be tied on on-the-field performance, period. There is absoultely no personal penalty for a T.O. failing to run routes completely or taking plays off or a Flozell Adams leading the league in false-starts. Another example of the fallacy of "names" curing all was Bill Parcells. He could have cared less about coaching the Dallas Cowboys or any other NFL team, but his name was "big" enough that Jerry Jones went after him with a "godfather deal" and Parcells took advantage of it purely becasue he knew he would have been a fool to say no. The Dallas Cowboys need players and coaches who care about being Dallas Cowboys more than anything else.

eagles_victory
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Never happen with Jerry in charge. He wants to coach the team and the only way to do it is hire limp wristed coaches. The Tuna had the most control of any coach since Jimmy Johnson and we all know how that turned out. Jerry undermined him at every turn. I have to disagree I mean Jerry did hire Parcells who is one of the toughest coaches on his players in the league. Bill almost had complete control of the defense by being able to put it together piece by piece through the draft. I know people want to say Jerry wanted to bring in T.O. not the Tuna well when you dont draft an offensive player for 8 or 9 years you have to get your offensive play makers from somewhere.

Like Gary said you always here Wade is too light on the guys Wade gets run over by the guys but on the field they show discipline their not cheap shoting or late hitting people they play hard. A good coach at the pro athelete responds to his players you can't jump every guys butt and go crazy on him different athletes respond to different things.

I think a lot of the people on here see the Cowboys as a high school team. At the high school level you need more of a strict coach because a lot of the time kids will be kids and not do what is neccessary and need to be guided a little bit more. At the NFL level you dont make it without a level of discipline already. You can't treat NFL players just like you would high school kids because your dealing with men not young men. Another thing is since Couglin won last year it seems like everyone is all about the hard driving coach but dont forget Dungy won it the year before being a lot like Wade Phillips is for the Cowboys.

Bullaholic
12-24-2008, 12:22 PM
The bottom line---the most successful coaches know what kind of a hand it takes to make their teams perform the best on the field each week to the end of the playoff season. Dallas needs to to find such a coach with such a hand.

waterboy
12-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Personally, I think Wade Phillips is one of the best defensive coaches out there. As a head coach, If he is allowed to RUN the team I think he would be successful, but in Dallas, with Jerry Jones making the decisions, I don't think he can be. Jerry Jones needs to step back and let the coaches do their jobs, and not get involved in day-to-day team decisions. He should only be heard during personnel decisions is what I think. In other words, the players should not be able to go over the coach's head without the consent of the coach himself, and if they do Jerry Jones needs to BACK the coach's decisions. That's just the way I see it.

Macarthur
12-24-2008, 12:52 PM
The Tuna had the most control of any coach since Jimmy Johnson and we all know how that turned out. Jerry undermined him at every turn.

Absolutely not true.

I am not the biggest Wade fan. However, I think first, we need to wait to see how this season plays out. If it ends up a failure, I would be in favor of getting rid of Wade. BUT you have to be 100% certain that it's an upgrade. You can't just make a change for the sake of change. YOu could end up worse off than you are now. The question is, how many guys are out there and available that we are 100% certain would be an upgrade over Wade?

And those bashing Romo...Wow! How quickly we forget how poor our QB play was before he arrived. The only reason this team has been in the position they have been in the last 3 years is because of Romo. You want to go back to the days of Chutch, Quincy & Bledsoe? I don't deny he makes some mistakes, but good grief. He is a major playmaker and other than a handful of games he's played in, puts his team in position to win every week.

You do realize he's been top 5 in QB rating in both years he's been the starter? You don't want a top 5 QB?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
The thing I'm trying to get at is that it's not as much Wade Phillips' fault as it is the fault of the Quarterback play for the Cowboys. Tony Romo can't win the big games and Brand Johnson can't win period. I would much rather try to find a new quarterback than find a new coaching staff, because I'm pretty content with the one we have now. Sure, I would change a few things, but all-in-all you're not going to find much better than what we already have. Personally, I have always been a Brady Quinn fan and would love to trade Romo to the Browns for him, but that's just me. He's young and has some fire to him, and he's really talented. That's just my opinion, call me crazy haha.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Absolutely not true.

I am not the biggest Wade fan. However, I think first, we need to wait to see how this season plays out. If it ends up a failure, I would be in favor of getting rid of Wade. BUT you have to be 100% certain that it's an upgrade. You can't just make a change for the sake of change. YOu could end up worse off than you are now. The question is, how many guys are out there and available that we are 100% certain would be an upgrade over Wade?

And those bashing Romo...Wow! How quickly we forget how poor our QB play was before he arrived. The only reason this team has been in the position they have been in the last 3 years is because of Romo. You want to go back to the days of Chutch, Quincy & Bledsoe? I don't deny he makes some mistakes, but good grief. He is a major playmaker and other than a handful of games he's played in, puts his team in position to win every week.

You do realize he's been top 5 in QB rating in both years he's been the starter? You don't want a top 5 QB?

Just because our QB play has improved from being crap to mediocrity doesn't mean that we should be content with it. I know I'm not and I've never been pleased with Romo or praised him. If you don't want people to make negative comments about him then he should make the big plays when they count and win the big games. There really is no point in going 13-3 and then losing your first game in the playoffs. I'd rather not make the playoffs at all than have to watch that choke artist screw up any false hope I have for Cowboys success.

Macarthur
12-24-2008, 01:19 PM
The thing I'm trying to get at is that it's not as much Wade Phillips' fault as it is the fault of the Quarterback play for the Cowboys. Tony Romo can't win the big games and Brand Johnson can't win period. I would much rather try to find a new quarterback than find a new coaching staff, because I'm pretty content with the one we have now. Sure, I would change a few things, but all-in-all you're not going to find much better than what we already have. Personally, I have always been a Brady Quinn fan and would love to trade Romo to the Browns for him, but that's just me. He's young and has some fire to him, and he's really talented. That's just my opinion, call me crazy haha.

Ok. You're crazy!

Macarthur
12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Just because our QB play has improved from being crap to mediocrity doesn't mean that we should be content with it. I know I'm not and I've never been pleased with Romo or praised him. If you don't want people to make negative comments about him then he should make the big plays when they count and win the big games. There really is no point in going 13-3 and then losing your first game in the playoffs. I'd rather not make the playoffs at all than have to watch that choke artist screw up any false hope I have for Cowboys success.

Wow!

I'm not even sure where to start.

I think Bob Sturm on the Ticket says it pretty well. This is from his blog about 2 weeks ago.

By the way, was the Giants game 2 weeks ago not a big game? How about the fact that if the defense makes at least one stop last week, he got them in position to kick a FG and win that game. I know it wasn't his best game, but that was a pretty damn good defense. I also think everyone forgets that he's only in his 2nd full season. How long was it before Peyton won a "big game"?

I'm sorry but I think you are way off on this one.

From Sturm:

To review my take on Tony Romo: I believe that Tony Romo is the real deal. I believe he is one of the very best QB’s in this league, and I believe that he will someday win a Super Bowl as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. These are all predictions, not based on his previous accomplishments, but rather based on what I believe based on observation, conversation, and analyzing his total package of skills.

Now, I also believe he has been very good, and that he is a victim of circumstance as it pertains to the unreal bar of expectations in this city, but do not confuse the two separate discussions. The last paragraph is just what I believe. If you believe the opposite, not only are the odds in your favor, but there is no resolution until he either wins a Super Bowl or leaves the Cowboys. But this paragraph can be discussed with just a little analysis and some sweet looking html tables.

Shall we begin?

First, we can all admit that being QB in this city means that you will always be compared to Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach. Not just Troy and Roger, but the best of Troy And Roger. Allow me to inject just a small amount of wisdom into the conversation, by comparing the first 3 years of each man as a Starter in the NFL and for the Cowboys:

Aikman Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
1989 0 - 11 9 18
1990 7 - 8 11 18

1991 7 - 5 11 10
Total 14 - 24 31 46

Table Tutorial

Staubach Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
1971 10 - 0 15 4
1973 10 - 4 23 15
1974 8 - 6 11 15
Total 28 - 10 49 34

Table Tutorial

Romo Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
2006 6-4 19 13
2007 13-3 36 19
2008 7 - 3 22 11
Total 26 - 10 77 43

Table Tutorial

Playoff Record in first 3 years as Cowboys QB:

Troy Aikman: 0-0
Roger Staubach: 5-3
Tony Romo: 0-2

There is one thing to note here. When Roger Staubach won his first playoff game, he was 29 years, 11 months old. Tony Romo is 28 years old right now, and Troy Aikman had his 3rd Super Bowl won at the age of 29.

Here is another fairly impressive number that you may not be aware of. Since, 2006 -When Romo took over as QB, here are the combined TD/INT numbers you should check out (please take special note of how many of the players on this list had already established themselves in the league before 2006. The point is that he is being compared with pretty much all veteran QB's while he is starting his career as a starter):

QB TD’s INT’s TD/INT
P. Manning 84 35 +49
Brees 80 43 +37
Romo 77 43 +34
Brady 74 20 +54
Rivers 69 34 +35

E Manning 67 46 +21
Favre 66 48 +18
Roethlisberger 64 46 +18
Warner 58 34 +24
Palmer 57 37 +20
McNabb 56 23 +33

Table Tutorial

Again, not trying to make the case that this is an apples to apples study. But since the start of 2006, Tony Romo holds his own with any and every QB not named Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. And yes, it is not a difficult deduction to say that he has better numbers in some regards than even the Super Bowl Ring Wearers, Big Ben and Eli. They, of course, hold the ultimate trump card, but if rings were all that mattered, then John Paxson was a better basketball player than Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, right?

And this business about his being a Interception machine? Well, do you notice how many players on this list have as many or more interceptions as the machine? Eli? Roethlisberger? Brees? Oh, my. Who knew?

I realize I have put my eggs in the Romo basket, and yes, I cringe when he appears to be a bit too “Hollywood” for my taste. But, I would like to say that I believe Tony Romo is the real deal, and while he may be a far cry from Mr. Staubach and Mr. Aikman, I would also say he is a far cry in the other direction from Quincy, Bledsoe, Vinny, Hutchinson, Henson, etc.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I would, because I feel the exact same way. What the Cowboys really needs is a good quarterback. I've been saying Tony Romo isn't the future for awhile now and at the end of the past two seasons he has proven me right. I'm more worried about the QB than I am the Head Coach, because even though the play calling is shady at times, the times when we do have a chance to make a play we can't because Romo chokes. so Romo has been playing since 2000? Cowboys haven't been winning in december since then, its the whole team choking late in the year and they had Bill Parcell and still couldn't have a winning december.

coach
12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
romo is our guy...wade is our guy just wait and see...

Diocletian
12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't think there will a be a good replacement for Dallas for a couple years.

zebrablue2
12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Never happen with Jerry in charge. He wants to coach the team and the only way to do it is hire limp wristed coaches. The Tuna had the most control of any coach since Jimmy Johnson and we all know how that turned out. Jerry undermined him at every turn.

:iagree: jerry gets his puppets, and as long as he owns the team, it will be as is... jerry needs to stay in the box...

Macarthur
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
:iagree: jerry gets his puppets, and as long as he owns the team, it will be as is... jerry needs to stay in the box...

Was Parcells a puppet?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow!

I'm not even sure where to start.

I think Bob Sturm on the Ticket says it pretty well. This is from his blog about 2 weeks ago.

By the way, was the Giants game 2 weeks ago not a big game? How about the fact that if the defense makes at least one stop last week, he got them in position to kick a FG and win that game. I know it wasn't his best game, but that was a pretty damn good defense. I also think everyone forgets that he's only in his 2nd full season. How long was it before Peyton won a "big game"?

I'm sorry but I think you are way off on this one.

From Sturm:

To review my take on Tony Romo: I believe that Tony Romo is the real deal. I believe he is one of the very best QB’s in this league, and I believe that he will someday win a Super Bowl as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. These are all predictions, not based on his previous accomplishments, but rather based on what I believe based on observation, conversation, and analyzing his total package of skills.

Now, I also believe he has been very good, and that he is a victim of circumstance as it pertains to the unreal bar of expectations in this city, but do not confuse the two separate discussions. The last paragraph is just what I believe. If you believe the opposite, not only are the odds in your favor, but there is no resolution until he either wins a Super Bowl or leaves the Cowboys. But this paragraph can be discussed with just a little analysis and some sweet looking html tables.

Shall we begin?

First, we can all admit that being QB in this city means that you will always be compared to Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach. Not just Troy and Roger, but the best of Troy And Roger. Allow me to inject just a small amount of wisdom into the conversation, by comparing the first 3 years of each man as a Starter in the NFL and for the Cowboys:

Aikman Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
1989 0 - 11 9 18
1990 7 - 8 11 18

1991 7 - 5 11 10
Total 14 - 24 31 46

Table Tutorial

Staubach Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
1971 10 - 0 15 4
1973 10 - 4 23 15
1974 8 - 6 11 15
Total 28 - 10 49 34

Table Tutorial

Romo Wins-Losses Touchdowns Interceptions
2006 6-4 19 13
2007 13-3 36 19
2008 7 - 3 22 11
Total 26 - 10 77 43

Table Tutorial

Playoff Record in first 3 years as Cowboys QB:

Troy Aikman: 0-0
Roger Staubach: 5-3
Tony Romo: 0-2

There is one thing to note here. When Roger Staubach won his first playoff game, he was 29 years, 11 months old. Tony Romo is 28 years old right now, and Troy Aikman had his 3rd Super Bowl won at the age of 29.

Here is another fairly impressive number that you may not be aware of. Since, 2006 -When Romo took over as QB, here are the combined TD/INT numbers you should check out (please take special note of how many of the players on this list had already established themselves in the league before 2006. The point is that he is being compared with pretty much all veteran QB's while he is starting his career as a starter):

QB TD’s INT’s TD/INT
P. Manning 84 35 +49
Brees 80 43 +37
Romo 77 43 +34
Brady 74 20 +54
Rivers 69 34 +35

E Manning 67 46 +21
Favre 66 48 +18
Roethlisberger 64 46 +18
Warner 58 34 +24
Palmer 57 37 +20
McNabb 56 23 +33

Table Tutorial

Again, not trying to make the case that this is an apples to apples study. But since the start of 2006, Tony Romo holds his own with any and every QB not named Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. And yes, it is not a difficult deduction to say that he has better numbers in some regards than even the Super Bowl Ring Wearers, Big Ben and Eli. They, of course, hold the ultimate trump card, but if rings were all that mattered, then John Paxson was a better basketball player than Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, right?

And this business about his being a Interception machine? Well, do you notice how many players on this list have as many or more interceptions as the machine? Eli? Roethlisberger? Brees? Oh, my. Who knew?

I realize I have put my eggs in the Romo basket, and yes, I cringe when he appears to be a bit too “Hollywood” for my taste. But, I would like to say that I believe Tony Romo is the real deal, and while he may be a far cry from Mr. Staubach and Mr. Aikman, I would also say he is a far cry in the other direction from Quincy, Bledsoe, Vinny, Hutchinson, Henson, etc.

I wasn't talking about him being an interception machine, I'm just talking about him being a choke artist and not winning the big games, but that does include costly interceptions and poorly thrown passes that are incomplete. During the start and middle of the season, he does just fine, but look at who he has around him. He has one of the best offensive line's in the NFL, two of the best receivers, the best catching TE in the league, and a defense that is rock solid (most of the time). I don't care how much experience he has, a great quarterback, like you say he is, would win with what he has around him. Unfortunately, he hasn't, and it has cost them. Look back at the Pittsburgh game. Sure, he has good numbers, but that doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't ever win the games that matter. If it were other reasons for them losing the game, then I wouldn't be tough on Romo, but it is his poor play and his poor decision making that hinders the team and has cost them the game. Do I think he has any potential to get better? Absolutely not, he has given me no reason to do so. I'm not going to let ESPN dictate my opinion on somebody, and I don't expect anybody else on here to. I know the game well enough and have played it and watched it and learned it enough to make my own judgments and I don't need someone to tell me how to feel about a team or a player. Further, even though the Cowboy's haven't won in a long time in December, as SintonFan_inAustin said, Tony Romo threw the game away more times than once in December and his play resulted in defeat(s). Apparently you haven't been watching the same Cowboys games as I have the past few years, but it is undeniable by anybody who has watched it who was responsible for those loses (not all, but there were some key ones in big games), and that is Tony Romo. He isn't a victim of circumstance, I expect nothing but the best and want nothing but the best for the teams that I support, and I don't believe that Tony Romo is the best for the Cowboys. That's not a victim of circumstance, just a victim of the fact that he can't win the big games that are on on the line. Romo has had ample opportunities to prove me and the rest of the Cowboys fan base wrong who feel this way but he hasn't, that's why he is facing the criticism. You wouldn't buy an expensive car with the idea that it was going to be reliable and have it run great in the spring, summer, and fall, and then not start or run well in the winter and keep it would you? I know I wouldn't, I would want a car that ran just as well in the winter as it did at any other point in the year, and I wouldn't sit there and hope the next year that the same thing won't happen again. If I did that, I would look like quite the fool.

kepdawg
12-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Trade Romo for Manning! He can't win big games either!

zebrablue2
12-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Was Parcells a puppet?

with as great a team as the cowboys have now, why did he fly the coop. I love wade phillips, but he will be gone because they are not winning. parcells was a disciplinarian, and could handle the players, but nobody will EVER handle jerry, including bill..

GreenMachine
12-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Cowboys need a coach like John Gruden. All Wade Philips does on the sidelines is listen to Johnny Cash on his earphones.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Cowboys need a coach like John Gruden. All Wade Philips does on the sidelines is listen to Johnny Cash on his earphones. Tampa Bay fan site they want to get rid of Gruden :doh:

MJMbrahmas10
12-25-2008, 12:20 AM
yall need to realize that there arent a whole lot of good qbs if so everyteam would have one, honestly would you rather have us goin 5-11 every year or lose the first game of the playoffs. i know when they were goin 5-11 i couldnt stand it. unless we are gettin brady or peyton i dont want any other qb caue romo is the third best qb. so all you cowboys haters go love your great team cause everyone knows that your team is the team who has the best record. us cowboy fans dont have the oppurtunity to switch teams every other week we stay true even when 5 11

TheDOCTORdre
12-25-2008, 12:40 AM
the first thing im gonna take issue with is the Brady Quinn reference that was made earlier...actually I probably shouldnt even address it and I'm not....
so moving on to Wade...great defensive mind...not as big as a pushover as we all think him to be, to get to that level your not a pushover...nonetheless Wade isnt a head man, he should be kept as D.C., we need to get rid of Garret of course this isnt happening since for some reason Jerry believes in him...he cant even run the offense effectively and we want him to lead our team ya right...I would love to see Gruden come to Big D or even Cowher, and bring in Holmgren to call the offense with Wade calling the defense, thats a great combo if you ask me...
another thing someone compared Wade Phillips to Tony Dungy in here...thats LUDACRIS...i mean what the hell, i dont know where to start with that one...
moving on, as ya'll all know i have been known to say I am a Romo-sexual, had a man crush on him when he became the Boys started, but there is no doubt he seems to find a way to choke in the big games (note-i dont think you can say Romo choked in last years playoff game with the giants...while he didnt have a great game, i still believe the problem with that game was the Boys had been a pass first team then wear them down with the run late in the game...(with Barber doing the wearing down late in the 4th quarter, after Julius Jones had started), but all of a sudden against the giants we decide we want to change our whole philosophy and try to establish the run first before the pass and on top of that lets wait for the playoff game to see if Barber can handle the load...thats what cost the game IMO)
anyways we give Romo one more year to get something going if he bombs agaisnt Philly or ends up bombing in the playoffs but while we give him another year, we draft a quarterback like in the 2nd round you know to put a little heat on Romo

...nonetheless i digress, the Cowboys woes this season are due to one thing...we lost McBriar...that hurt a lot more than people know

TheDOCTORdre
12-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
yall need to realize that there arent a whole lot of good qbs if so everyteam would have one, honestly would you rather have us goin 5-11 every year or lose the first game of the playoffs. i know when they were goin 5-11 i couldnt stand it. unless we are gettin brady or peyton i dont want any other qb caue romo is the third best qb. so all you cowboys haters go love your great team cause everyone knows that your team is the team who has the best record. us cowboy fans dont have the oppurtunity to switch teams every other week we stay true even when 5 11

and i just read this and like i stated earlier I love Romo but hes not the 3rd best quarterback...i say maybe 5th best at best...IMO i'd rather have Big Ben and Drew Brees over Romo, hell this year I might even take Kerry Collins over Romo

MJMbrahmas10
12-25-2008, 07:31 PM
brees defientaly and i know why he has shawn payton callin plays who the cowboys should have kept, big ben is way to inconsistent but he does win games

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

...nonetheless i digress, the Cowboys woes this season are due to one thing...we lost McBriar...that hurt a lot more than people know

You're joking right? Wow.....

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2008, 04:15 PM
The Cowboy problems are not because they have a "soft" coach but because they have a coaching staff that imo does not do a good enough job of working the SMALL details. To many stupid mistakes week after week after week. Things IMO a coaching staff should hammer into the players

This is not because Wade is soft, they did the same thing under Bill who is a "tough" coach...What BOTH imo had as their biggest problem was they are not DETAILED coaches. Bill used to be, but I think he was going thru the motions in Dallas more than anything. Wade has never been that type of coach.

slpybear the bullfan
12-26-2008, 04:43 PM
HMmm....

1.) even if you throw only 8-9 interceptions one season... each of those could have been game changers. The QB rating would look good, but player could still be the reason for losing... Not saying that with Romo... just saying a decent INT record is not necessarily indicative of the total story.

2.) Everyone talks about how the team will never win with Jerry and his larger than life persona. Hmm... I guess those three rings and one NFC Champ appearance in the 90's occured when Jerry was a completely different person. BULL. The man is who he is. The Boys won in the past when he was the same ol Jerry... (IMHO a little more "omnipresent" than today). And that was with an egomaniac named JImmy Johnson. Well, Jerry brought in Mr. Parcells, (another control freak), and he did not take 'em deep. Reason? NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IN THE OWNERS BOX OR UNDER THE COACHES HEADSET THE PLAYERS PLAY THE GAME... AND IN THE NFL YOU CAN ONLY GO SO FAR BY BEING A DRILL SERGEANT... YOU HAVE TO HAVE VERY TALENTED, SELF MOTIVATED LEADERS ON THE FIELD AROUND A LOT OF TALENT. LOL... now I am breathing hard!

3.) Methinks this is the last chance for Wade to win his first playoff game as a headcoach. And the last chance for Mr. Romo to prove he does not deserve the "can't win a big one" label. Both must win a playoff game this season to avoid a very very negative label.

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
And the last chance for Mr. Romo to prove he does not deserve the "can't win a big one" label. Both must win a playoff game this season to avoid a very very negative label.

Disagree about last chance for Romo..first off he has a long term deal..second just look at Peyton Maning..how many "last chances in big games" did he have?

PurpleFreddy
12-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I think people quickly forget who the Cowboys threw out there at QB BEFORE Romo and after Aikman:
Quincy Carter
Chad Hutchison
Drew Henson
Vinny Testaverde
Drew Bledsoe

Yes, Romo probably got too much hype after a season and a half. But, unlike his backup, at least he's not a sitting duck in the pocket and can throw it more than 25 yards.

I'm not jumping on any bandwagons ... so I guess that means I can't be accused of jumping off any, either.

Some Cowboy fans lose perspective very easy.

I think the best point on this thread came from txbroadcaster ... this team continues to struggle in the "small stuff." Why do the Cowboys consistently have to play "beat the clock" to get virtually every snap off? Why can't Andre Gurode remember snap counts ... and why does he lollipop those snaps back to Romo? Why does Flozell Adams feel he must, at least 1-2 times each game, false start and/or commit any other stupid penalty? Why do the Cowboys struggle getting the right personnel on the field? Why do they look so ragged coming out of the huddle? never any sense of urgency.

Orange Defense
12-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Bill Cowher would be an EXCELLENT choice but it will never happen cause JJ wants to coach and will only hire a puppet he can run. Wade Phillips is that puppet!!!!
Wade Phillips will never be successful because he is a yes man to Jerry and you can't be a friend/buddy to the people you are basically supervising.
All the pieces are there for a Super Bowl victory except for Coach and Owner. Yes, JJ does spend the money for players but he has to back off and let a Bill Cowher do his job!!! I think Romo would be a MUCH BETTER QB if he had a coach that would hold his feet to the fire!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-26-2008, 08:07 PM
To use the argument at look at the guys before Romo and after Aikman is faulty, and quite frankly, stupid. Just because they sucked something awful doesn't mean that Romo is a mediocre quarterback at best. Like I've said, I've never been a Romo fan, not even when he first started playing. I will say that the Cowboys need to focus on the small stuff, but they need a quarterback who can lead them to victory in the big games instead of throwing the game away.

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
Bill Cowher would be an EXCELLENT choice but it will never happen cause JJ wants to coach and will only hire a puppet he can run. Wade Phillips is that puppet!!!!
Wade Phillips will never be successful because he is a yes man to Jerry and you can't be a friend/buddy to the people you are basically supervising.
All the pieces are there for a Super Bowl victory except for Coach and Owner. Yes, JJ does spend the money for players but he has to back off and let a Bill Cowher do his job!!! I think Romo would be a MUCH BETTER QB if he had a coach that would hold his feet to the fire!!!!

I get so tired of the Jerry Jones only hires puppets

Look at his hire history

JJ was not a puppett

Switzer was NOT a puppett( he was to crazy to be anyones yes man)

Chan Gailey for all his faults is nothing CLOSE to a puppett

Campo..he might be the only one you can really call a puppett

Parcells...not even close to a puppett

Wade..nice guy, but has never been considered a puppett( he was once fired cause he was to loyal to his special teams coach)

The Jones only hires yes men or puppetts is wrong and I am not even sure where it came from except maybe with the Campo hire

Cowher would not come here for two reasons.

not enough money or wants to be GM as well

Orange Defense
12-26-2008, 09:30 PM
You have your opinion and I have my opinion!!! Yours or mine isn't necessarily right. Jimmy was not a yes man and you see the clash that he and Jerry had.

Get tired all you want but it's the truth from the eway I see it!

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2008, 09:34 PM
You have your opinion and I have my opinion!!! Yours or mine isn't necessarily right. Jimmy was not a yes man and you see the clash that he and Jerry had.

Get tired all you want but it's the truth from the eway I see it!

the clash he had with Jimmy was about BOTH thinking the other took to much credit for any moves..They both had Egos the size of the new stadium and they could not work together

PurpleFreddy
12-27-2008, 12:07 PM
To use the argument at look at the guys before Romo and after Aikman is faulty, and quite frankly, stupid. Just because they sucked something awful doesn't mean that Romo is a mediocre quarterback at best. Like I've said, I've never been a Romo fan, not even when he first started playing. I will say that the Cowboys need to focus on the small stuff, but they need a quarterback who can lead them to victory in the big games instead of throwing the game away.

Big Blue, you missed my point, dude. It was not to say that Romo has been a great QB. It was to point out how spoiled we are, sometimes, as Cowboys fans. And to put the success and failure simply on one position is simple-minded. Indeed, having a good QB is almost always essential to success, but the QB doesn't have to be Herculean for a team to have success.
Romo and how is perceived by Dallas fans reminds me of how Don Meredith was treated. Meredith had some memorable games, but he had just as many where the fans blamed him. Remember the NFL championship in the Cotton Bowl. He threw an interception near the goalline late in the game with a chance to win. But, what most people forget, is that he had a defensive lineman hanging all over him. Meredith took a lot of punishment and played hurt a lot. No one will ever confuse him with Staubach or Aikman, but I think he was treated pretty badly during his playing days.

JasperDog94
12-27-2008, 01:08 PM
All the pieces are there for a Super Bowl victory except for Coach and Owner. Yes, JJ does spend the money for players but he has to back off and let a Bill Cowher do his job!!! I think Romo would be a MUCH BETTER QB if he had a coach that would hold his feet to the fire!!!! If what you say is true then Bill Cowher would have more superbowl trophies than Jerry. Remind me again what the superbowl count is between the two of them.:hand:

Macarthur
12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
To use the argument at look at the guys before Romo and after Aikman is faulty, and quite frankly, stupid.

Wow. You're really calling HIS argument stupid?

Just because they sucked something awful doesn't mean that Romo is a mediocre quarterback at best.

I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode. Do you not watch the same games I do?

Like I've said, I've never been a Romo fan, not even when he first started playing. I will say that the Cowboys need to focus on the small stuff, but they need a quarterback who can lead them to victory in the big games instead of throwing the game away.

Let me just say that if the cowboys were to take your advise and look to get rid of Romo this offseason, there would be about 30 teams beating their door down to have the opportunity to get his "mediocre" quarterback play.

sotex
12-28-2008, 01:40 AM
If the Jerra knew what was good for him he would open the vault for Cowher and give him complete control. Of course this will never happen. Jones' ego is bigger than the stadium he is building. The Cowboys are doomed to failure as long as Jones tries to be the face of the franchise.

JasperDog94
12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sotex
The Cowboys are doomed to failure as long as Jones tries to be the face of the franchise. Yeah, because the Cowboys have had zero success with him as the owner...right?:rolleyes:

PurpleFreddy
12-28-2008, 02:26 PM
The days of the hands-off owner are over. That's because their investments are so much bigger now than in the 60s and 70s. Owners didn't mind not being in the spotlight because players were making about 40,000 a year and owners were content to make some money.
Now with bigger markets, bigger TV contracts, bigger exposure, as well as bigger investments and much, much bigger risks, many of the owners are high-profile, high-stakes guys. And with that comes their desire to be in the spotlight.
I think we ALL would love Jones to back off from the spotlight and quit trying to be the face of the franchise. But, since it is HIS investment and money, can we really ask him to go away and don't be heard from? It certainly is not in the nature of our society today, where everyone thinks they deserve the right to have fame.

slpybear the bullfan
12-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Disagree about last chance for Romo..first off he has a long term deal..second just look at Peyton Maning..how many "last chances in big games" did he have?

I said nothing about him being washed up, needing to be traded, not being a good QB, etc. All I said was this is probably the last season he has a chance to avoid being LABELED as a QB who cannot win the big game. Nationwide and Media perception doesn't have to be fair. And lots of folks are already have this perception.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I said nothing about him being washed up, needing to be traded, not being a good QB, etc. All I said was this is probably the last season he has a chance to avoid being LABELED as a QB who cannot win the big game. Nationwide and Media perception doesn't have to be fair. And lots of folks are already have this perception.

I agree..but again..all he has to do is win ONE SB and the label is shedded..just like it was for Elway and Manning

slpybear the bullfan
12-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I agree..but again..all he has to do is win ONE SB and the label is shedded..just like it was for Elway and Manning

I agree. But I think that label is being delivered to Valley Ranch on Monday if the Cowboys lose today. (But lots of folks already have labeled him that.)

My personal opinion of Romo is that he needs to be more of a leader... A la Aikman or Manning. I know that is not his style, but IMHO the biggest problem on this team is lack of on field leadership... not off the field leadership.

slpybear the bullfan
12-28-2008, 03:54 PM

I will even say that all he has to do is win one playoff game convincingly and he will avoid the label.

Orange Defense
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If what you say is true then Bill Cowher would have more superbowl trophies than Jerry. Remind me again what the superbowl count is between the two of them.:hand:

I couldn't tell you the count of Championships. But in my opinion Cowher never coached the type of tallent that the Cowboys have. I just used Cower as an example. I wouldn't mind seeing a Gruden try his hand.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
. I wouldn't mind seeing a Gruden try his hand.

you mean the coach of a team that only had to beat either SD or Oakland at HOME to get into play-offs but could not?

Orange Defense
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
the clash he had with Jimmy was about BOTH thinking the other took to much credit for any moves..They both had Egos the size of the new stadium and they could not work together

Your right and also the fact that they BOTH wanted to take credit for the success the team was having at the time. I'm trying to say that Jerry wanted to take ALL the credit for winning and id dnot want to share the glory and Jimmy felt slighted.. Heck I don't know and really don't care... All I know is I'm trying to get my post count up...:D

Emerson1
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Jason Garrett should have to find his own plane ride home. Once again they COMPLETELY abandon the running game. Instead they run nothing but long routes down the outside of the field.