PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's Gray celebrats national title

44INAROW
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Cuero's Gray celebrates national title
Former Gobbler plays big role in Richmond's national title run

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
December 23, 2008 - 9:51 p.m.
CUERO - The wind had shifted to the north, the Dallas Cowboys were in the fourth quarter of their game against Baltimore and it was after 10 p.m., but that didn't stop a crowd from gathering at the Tiger Tote on Saturday to stage an impromptu welcoming party for Tre Gray.

Gray had driven virtually non-stop from Chattanooga, Tenn., but staying awake wasn't a problem thanks to the excitement generated by Richmond's 24-7 victory over Montana in Friday night's Football Championship Subdivision national championship game.

"It was an unbelievable experience," said Gray, who posed for pictures and greeted family and friends along with former Cuero teammates. "Everybody that used to play for Richmond supported us and all the alumni came. We had more fans there than we do at our home games. It was something that whole community could share and something that we can take back to Richmond so that the whole town can feel this feeling that we share."

Gray redshirted his freshman year at Richmond before becoming a starter at wide receiver this season.

He was the Spiders' second-leading receiver with 59 receptions for 723 yards and four touchdowns. Gray caught a team-leading six passes for 44 yards in the championship game, and also had a kickoff return for 20 yards.

"This was never in my vision," Gray said. "I never thought this would happen, especially not how it happened and the playoff run we went through. Last year, I could see myself thinking about what it would be like just winning the conference playing on the team. Now that I won the national championship and that I just contributed is amazing."

Richmond rose to No. 1 in the FCS rankings early in the season before losing two of its next three games and falling to 4-3. The Spiders held a team meeting and went on to win their next eight games, including playoff victories over Appalachian State and Northern Iowa.

"That was an intense meeting because we knew from that point on it was a playoff game every week," Gray said. "We knew we had to win out so we ended going eight games in a row with a win. It was amazing. We capitalized and did what we were supposed to do."

Gray has no doubt his experience at Cuero helped him prepare for college football and is grateful coach Mark Reeve introduced him to Richmond.

"Coach Reeve helped me a lot," Gray said. "He helped me mature. He helped me see things the way I couldn't see before. He taught things that would help me at the next level such as respecting your coaches, doing what you're supposed to do and executing your assignments because you can help the team by doing that."

Gray will return to school next month and should receive his championship ring in March.

"I remember everybody saying, 'Why are you committing there? Why turn down the Houston offer?'" Gray said. "Now, everybody knows where Richmond is around here. It's just a good feeling."

Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/topsports/story/381085.html) (there is a little picture on the webpage article

Congrats to the Spiders (especially #17) :clap: :clap:

Gobbler Fan
12-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Way to go Spiders :thumbsup: and way to go Tre :2thumbsup

gobbler grad
12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
congrats to the SPIDERS on their national championship...:clap:

pirate4state
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
:clap: Good for him!!

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
A National Champion determined through a play-off tournament....
What a novel idea!

Good for him!

Maroon87
12-24-2008, 12:21 PM
They have a cool logo.:cool:

KingRob
12-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Congrats Tre!:clap: