PDA

View Full Version : Gout

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Think I have a case of it in my right knee. I can't even walk. Geez the pain is intense. Any good home remedies out there?

Looking4number8
12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
i did not know you could get gout in your knee. My dad had it on his foot several years ago... it was way nasty and he was in a lot of pain for a long time. (he was able to make it to the dinner table several times a day though)

Ranger Mom
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Think I have a case of it in my right knee. I can't even walk. Geez the pain is intense. Any good home remedies out there?

EWWWW!!!!

3afan
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Gout is a kind of arthritis. It can cause an attack of sudden burning pain, stiffness, and swelling in a joint, usually a big toe. These attacks can happen over and over unless gout is treated. Over time, they can harm your joints, tendons, and other tissues. Gout is most common in men.

---

To stop a gout attack, your doctor can give you a shot of corticosteroids, or prescribe a large daily dose of one or more medicines. The doses will get smaller as your symptoms go away. Relief from a gout attack often begins within 24 hours if you start treatment right away.

To ease the pain during a gout attack, rest the joint that hurts. Taking ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory medicine can also help you feel better. But don't take aspirin. It can make gout worse by raising the uric acid level in the blood.

To prevent future attacks, your doctor can prescribe a medicine to reduce uric acid buildup in your blood. If your doctor prescribes medicine to lower your uric acid levels, be sure to take it as directed. Most people continue to take this medicine for the rest of their lives.

Paying attention to what you eat may help you manage your gout. Eat moderate amounts of a healthy mix of foods to control your weight and get the nutrients you need. Avoid regular daily intake of meat, seafood, and alcohol (especially beer). Drink plenty of water and other fluids.

the aboove courtesy of WebMD

Looking4number8
12-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Gout is a kind of arthritis. It can cause an attack of sudden burning pain, stiffness, and swelling in a joint, usually a big toe. These attacks can happen over and over unless gout is treated. Over time, they can harm your joints, tendons, and other tissues. Gout is most common in men.

---

To stop a gout attack, your doctor can give you a shot of corticosteroids, or prescribe a large daily dose of one or more medicines. The doses will get smaller as your symptoms go away. Relief from a gout attack often begins within 24 hours if you start treatment right away.

To ease the pain during a gout attack, rest the joint that hurts. Taking ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory medicine can also help you feel better. But don't take aspirin. It can make gout worse by raising the uric acid level in the blood.

To prevent future attacks, your doctor can prescribe a medicine to reduce uric acid buildup in your blood. If your doctor prescribes medicine to lower your uric acid levels, be sure to take it as directed. Most people continue to take this medicine for the rest of their lives.

Paying attention to what you eat may help you manage your gout. Eat moderate amounts of a healthy mix of foods to control your weight and get the nutrients you need. Avoid regular daily intake of meat, seafood, and alcohol (especially beer). Drink plenty of water and other fluids.

the aboove courtesy of WebMD

Wow!!! you must have stayed in a holiday inn express last night !!

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I have to go back to work on Friday, and right now I don't think I could walk out to the truck without getting tears in my eyes. I have experienced a lot of pain in my life, "kidney stones, multiple surgeries for MRSA debriedment, gunshot wounds, a broken ankle, a severe fall from thirty feet in an industrial accident, and even an amputation" but this crap is really making me angry.

Bullaholic
12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

G2 said something about letting a rattlesnake bite you on the knee and then dancing all night naked under a full moon with some midgets. Of course, he also pointed out that you and him had done every one of those things in the past, except for the rattlesnake part. :D

Where you been? The season has come and gone and I didn't see one single hide-and-watch prediction. Stick around a while and help "light up" this board now and then.....

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I have been very busy this season, mostly out of State. I'm thinking of retiring next year if I can just get enough Cash back in the bank after losing most of my IRA and about 80 percent of my Stock Portfolio this year. From now on, all of my money is going into Cash buried in Mason Jars.

Ranger Mom
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I have been very busy this season, mostly out of State. I'm thinking of retiring next year if I can just get enough Cash back in the bank after losing most of my IRA and about 80 percent of my Stock Portfolio this year. From now on, all of my money is going into Cash buried in Mason Jars.

Well...now that you can't walk, you can just hang out here til you get better!!!

Okay?? Good!!

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Well...now that you can't walk, you can just hang out here til you get better!!!

Okay?? Good!!

Yes Dear.

Bullaholic
12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

They don't make that many Mason jars.....:D

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
They don't make that many Mason jars.....:D

Here is some financial advise for you.

Buy Stock in the company that makes Mason Jars.:D

garciap77
12-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I have to go back to work on Friday, and right now I don't think I could walk out to the truck without getting tears in my eyes. I have experienced a lot of pain in my life, "kidney stones, multiple surgeries for MRSA debriedment, gunshot wounds, a broken ankle, a severe fall from thirty feet in an industrial accident, and even an amputation" but this crap is really making me angry.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
gunshot wounds

Hope you get to feeling better!

Bullaholic
12-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:eek: :eek: :eek:
gunshot wounds

Hope you get to feeling better!

Yep---Besides "MacDaddy", PPHSFan's other nickname is "Lucky". :D

PPHSFan--Lay off the purines in your diet to avoid further gout attacks.

garciap77
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yep---Besides "MacDaddy", PPHSFan's other nickname is "Lucky". :D

I would not want to mess with him! That's some tough "Hombre".

Bullaholic
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I would not want to mess with him! That's some tough "Hombre".

He also makes Dos Equis commercials and here's his business card:

USED CARS — LAND — WHISKEY — MANURE — NAILS
FLY SWATTERS — RACING FORMS — BONGOS

ENTERPRISES, Un-Ltd.
PPHSFan, President

Wars Fought; Stud Service
Revolutions Started; Tigers Tamed
Assassinations Plotted; Bars Emptied
Governments Run; Computers Verified
Uprisings Quelled ;Orgies Organized

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Does anybody else here think of PPHSfan when they play those Dos Equis "Most interesting man in the world" commercials?

Bullaholic
12-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Does anybody else here think of PPHSfan when they play those Dos Equis "Most interesting man in the world" commercials?

See post above. :D

Looking4number8
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I do now!

Orange Defense
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Try several extremely COLD Coors Lights. Approx 24/16 oz bottles. Good remedy for almost anything!!:D

nobogey72
12-23-2008, 05:52 PM
The best thing to do is to get drunk and then "soak it in cider".
;) ;)

BreckTxLonghorn
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I've heard cherries & coffee (though not at the same time) help.

mac77
12-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Our HD Girls BB coach has it and she swears by cherries. Fresh, canned, or even cherry juice. Of course, it takes a day or so to start to work. That and anti-inflammatory drugs are what she uses.

PPHSfan
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Our HD Girls BB coach has it and she swears by cherries. Fresh, canned, or even cherry juice. Of course, it takes a day or so to start to work. That and anti-inflammatory drugs are what she uses.

Thanks,

On my way to the store for cherries in every form.