PDA

View Full Version : UT's Shipley gets sixth year of eligibility

Pick6
12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Texas wide receiver Jordan Shipley won't be leaving just yet.

The NCAA granted Shipley's appeal for a sixth year of eligibility, Texas announced this afternoon. Shipley did not participate in a single play his first two seasons at Texas because of knee and hamstring injuries.

"It is definitely a blessing to be able to play one more season at Texas," Shipley said in a statement. "This is such a great place, and I've had an unbelievable experience. Obviously, it started slow due to the injuries, but I couldn't be happier with the NCAA's decision to give me one of those years back."

The ruling should provide a significant boost to the Longhorns' passing game in 2009. Shipley caught a team-high 79 receptions this season for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns. His return means an experienced target for quarterback Colt McCoy, especially with the graduation of receiver Quan Cosby.

"We're really excited for Jordan and our team that he's been granted a sixth year," Texas coach Mack Brown said in a statement. "It was so disappointing for him as he fought through injuries and wasn't able to play his first two years, but he never wavered.
video platform video management video solutions free video player

"He continued to work hard and stayed positive through it all and has become a tremendous player for us. His efforts should inspire those who are going through tough times, that if you stick with it, you can overcome that adversity."

Shipley also returned a punt and a kickoff for touchdowns this past season, the latter providing a key turning point against Oklahoma, as you can watc

JasperDog94
12-23-2008, 01:37 AM
This is great news for the Longhorns!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AggiesAreWe
12-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Wasn't this guy a senior in high school under the Clinton administration?

Just kidding. Good for Jordan, now he may graduate on time.

I am joking, I am joking.

Good luck Jordan.

I. B. Watching
12-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm good with it ... as long as he agrees to sit out next year's OU game:)

RedWhiteBlue
12-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah!!!!:clap: :clap:

charlesrixey
12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
LOOKS LIKE THE NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE CAN MAKE A GOOD DECISION EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE

footballgal
12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Congrats!

So when does he graduate? and wouldn't it be better to go Pro?

Electus Unus
12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I think he has graduated already but plans to apply for some masters program or something.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
It was fun to watch him and Mcgee in HS unless you were standing on the other sideline from them.

JasperDog94
12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
It was fun to watch him and Mcgee in HS unless you were standing on the other sideline from them. Tell me about it.:doh:

Sweetwater Red
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Didn't Bo Scaife have six years of eligibility also.

piratebg
12-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Cool beans :clap: :clap: :clap:

wedo
12-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Didn't Bo Scaife have six years of eligibility also.

yeah he did .......this is only fair in my opinion. He sat out his first two years on campus without playing a single down.

PPHSfan
12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Another year will do Jordan good. It's not a good year to come out as a receiver.

bigwood33
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I'm good with it ... as long as he agrees to sit out next year's OU game:)
Didn't Jason White play until he was about 30?:D
I don't remember him sitting out any Texas/0U games;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Good for Shipley, he deserves to get the chance to play another year.

THE DOCTOR
12-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Just look at what Jordan Shipley accomplished with a full offseason and a full year without injury. He is as good in college as he was in highschool. He is just a great pass catcher and had speed to burn. Maybe with an extra year this kid can step up and play in the league.

Diocletian
12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
This is great news.

I honestly think, he could make a great slot rec in the NFL too.

I. B. Watching
12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Didn't Jason White play until he was about 30?:D
I don't remember him sitting out any Texas/0U games;)
We could have actually used him one more year, seeing how the way things turned out.:)

Macarthur
12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
This is great news.

I honestly think, he could make a great slot rec in the NFL too.

YOu know, I think I agree. I think he's got a chance to be a solid #3 in the league. He's not small, but he could use a bit more bulk.

g$$
12-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
LOOKS LIKE THE NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE CAN MAKE A GOOD DECISION EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE

Clearinghouse does not rule on granting a 6th year in hardship cases...they are involved in initial eligibility. And yes, they can be difficult & mind-boggling at times.

Different dept. of the NCAA athletic umbrella here. Shipley deserves a 6th year, which are harder to get than they used to be. He did not play at all his 1st 2 years due to injuries. He took his redshirt year 1st by rule & then later applied for the medical hardship. Textbook case & Texas handled it right.

Shipley will play in the NFL too. He runs a 4.37 & is quick out of his breaks. Will make a very solid slot recever for somebody barring injury.

Old Dog
12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Ship's speed is wonderful, but his ability to run precise routes is his trademark plus not dropping passes. Hopefully he can turn some heads in the pros someday.

Twirling Time
12-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
Wasn't this guy a senior in high school under the Clinton administration?

Just kidding. Good for Jordan, now he may graduate on time.

I am joking, I am joking.

Good luck Jordan.

Not far off the mark. Wasn't Quan Cosby a senior at Mart in 2000?

swstangs001
12-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Not far off the mark. Wasn't Quan Cosby a senior at Mart in 2000?
he played a couple of years in the minors first, i dont remember what team though, i think it was either the A's or angels....but i'm probably wrong

PPHSfan
12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
YOu know, I think I agree. I think he's got a chance to be a solid #3 in the league. He's not small, but he could use a bit more bulk.

Everyone thought Wes Welker was too small as well. I think Shipley will be fine.

Txbroadcaster
12-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Everyone thought Wes Welker was too small as well. I think Shipley will be fine.

Not sure where the Shipley is small came from

no he is not a 6'4 WR..but he is 6'0 and about 195...needs a little bulk

Wes on the other hand is all of 5'9...IMO they are two diff style WRs