PDA

View Full Version : Rice U.

Bullaholic
12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I have always wondered if Rice drops the academic standards for their scholarship athletes or do they keep them higher like Notre Dame has done in the past? Rice has always been a very respected academic institution.

SWMustang
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
It's my understanding that they may make some small concessions, however the student athlete IS required to read and write. They don't let dummies go to Rice.

NastySlot
12-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Entrance requirements must stay the same for athletes and non-athletes, according to NCAA rules. However, different programs can have different requirements(ie; the prelaw program will have higher requirements than the liberal arts program).
At Rice, the lower standard programs are still higher than all public schools in Texas, so they still can't recruit dummies.

at one time athletes attempting to enter norte dame had to go through the same process of admittence as non-athletes......no special exceptions were made.......so in the past just because a recruit committed to nd....didn't mean he was getting in..........i think tony rice was one of the first non-qualifiers to get in...and had to sit out a year and could have nothing to do with the program (no practice at all)......... but if i remember he wasn't an ncaa academic non-qualifier...just an nd....which meant he could have gone else where to play.

now i don't know if this is still true today....but it was during the 80's

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Rice only requires a 19 on the ACT for their football players. The requirement for the "regular" students is considerably higher.

LH Panther Mom
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Rice only requires a 19 on the ACT for their football players. The requirement for the "regular" students is considerably higher.
Do their players not have to go through the NCAA eligibility center? :confused:

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Do their players not have to go through the NCAA eligibility center? :confused:

Yes, All Student Athletes have to go through the NCAA Clearinghouse regardless of university.

LH Panther Mom
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Yes, All Student Athletes have to go through the NCAA Clearinghouse regardless of university.
That's why I asked. I was looking up some calendar info on there to email someone & noticed the minimum (with 3.50 & above avg) is 37. Heck, I think when I was in school, 35 was perfect. (Lots of confusion on my part. :D )

VWG
12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I know a kid who is playing baseball there, graduated from a 5A Houston school. He was admitted to Rice, but I can guarantee you his grades weren't up to par with the majority of students at Rice. He was a good student, but not near the level of student Rice normally obtains.
He did some extra work to get in, wrote essay to the school, etc....

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's why I asked. I was looking up some calendar info on there to email someone & noticed the minimum (with 3.50 & above avg) is 37. Heck, I think when I was in school, 35 was perfect. (Lots of confusion on my part. :D )

That minimum ACT score was part of the information provided by the Academic Representative during a session of the camp last July. The minimum SAT for Rice is 920.
Both scores are higher than the NCAA minumums; which coincidently are the minimum required by Baylor.