PDA

View Full Version : The Day The Earth Stood Still

maroonpirate04
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Went to see this film this past weekend, great movie:clap: :clap: I think they did a great job of updating the film. I haven't seen the orignal one from the 50's or 60's:thinking: Again the aliens attacked our planet:( And the one place the aliens love to land is New York. Gosh the city must be a breeding ground for aliens and monsters everytime there's a film about aliens and monsters attacking the planet. Brace yourselves soon there will be another alien invasion on TV for those of us remember the most popular tv movie ever made "V" is set to be a remake on NBC.

piratebg
12-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I haven't heard anything good about this movie at all.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I haven't heard anything good about this movie at all. that's what i've heard also

Electus Unus
12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
This movie was horrible and the book was awesome.

WylieBulldog92
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I haven't heard anything good about this movie at all.
Heard the same thing.

SWMustang
12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
all the reviews I heard were bad. My son REALLY wants to see Valkyrie on Christmas day. I haven't heard anything good about that either.

Phil C
12-22-2008, 04:14 PM
The original 1951 version is being shown tomorrow (12-23-08) on AMC starting at 7 P.M.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
i watched this movie as well. here are a few points i made about the movie.

we(the movie version of humans) should have never wondered what we were up against. they had keanu reeves, that was the end. if you look to all of his previous films he obviously has super powers. its freaking keanu reeves. duh.

next, i liked the movie until i realized it was more hollywood pushing their greenpeace mumbo-jumbo onto us. while its valid that, IMO, we should respect and moderate ourselves in that which we use; the earth is way older than us (depending on what you believe) and it has natural things that we dont fully realize its capable of or understand how or why it works.

thirdly, i dont understand how the idea of a child and his deceased father's wife uniting in sorrow over said death is in anyway appropriate to show that humans can change. especially when this supposed keanu reeves-alien thing's race has probably been watching this planet and what happens to it for, well a really really long time and thusly know good and well what is going to happen. this shows that keanu reeves is ignorant or that he has a soft spot for broken homes. while that is commendable, its hardly a reason to not clean up a planet that was doomed to be destroyed by a race that was fully capable of just about anything fathomable. after all, he was "born" on this planet in some wierd egg thing.

thats about all i can remember from the movie. id give it about a b+. since i dont want keanu reeves to appear in my room tonight and idk, what are his real powers? i forget. movie magic cuts in and it becomes touch and go.

Maroon87
12-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I've seen both the original and the remake. If you haven't seen the new one, it can wait for DVD. I enjoyed it but it's not a "must-see."

Phil C
12-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I've seen both the original and the remake. If you haven't seen the new one, it can wait for DVD. I enjoyed it but it's not a "must-see."

Maroon how did the new one compare to the original one?

Maroon87
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Maroon how did the new one compare to the original one?

Well the female role was changed to that of a science professor who is called in by the government to help when Klaatu arrives. Also, in the original the little boy was sympathetic and befriended Klaatu, while in the new one he doesn't trust him, probably because in the new one Klaatu is extremely cold and somewhat calculating.

The ending was completely changed from the original too.