PDA

View Full Version : Why we all need to work for the UAW

SWMustang
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Here's a little piece from a Detroit news station. Really makes you want to help them out, doesn't it?

Ford workers drinking on the job (http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/10235271/index.html )

WylieBulldog92
12-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Go figure I see a Mercury commercial before it comes on!

Rabbit'93
12-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Unions are just a way for lazy people to keep there jobs. There is really no place for them in today's society. The gov. regulations in place make unions antiquated.

I_Do_Care
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
yeah, because all Unions act in this manner.:rolleyes: Organized labor has benefited many in other fields that are exploited. Not everyone has that cushy work style. That video captured what 3 or 4 workers out of how many thousands? lmao Yet lets paint them all in that picture! LAZY!!!! haha sure guy, fighting for a better deal is lazy! Go work with my father and see how lazy it is!

I'm sure production ideas by the corporate heads had nothing to do with this, much easier to paint the guy having a pint as a bad guy rather than the man in a private jet.

SWMustang
12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by I_Do_Care
yeah, because all Unions act in this manner.:rolleyes: Organized labor has benefited many in other fields that are exploited. Not everyone has that cushy work style. That video captured what 3 or 4 workers out of how many thousands? lmao Yet lets paint them all in that picture! LAZY!!!! haha sure guy, fighting for a better deal is lazy! Go work with my father and see how lazy it is!

I'm sure production ideas by the corporate heads had nothing to do with this, much easier to paint the guy having a pint as a bad guy rather than the man in a private jet.

Their direct manager and those 3 or 4 guys all need to get whacked. They are in an industry fighting for it's survival. I don't know how other Unions operate - but it sure seems like this stuff is common place with the UAW. Fighting for a deal that bankrupts your company isn't lazy, it's just plain stupid. I never said the corporate execs weren't to blame. It's well documented they could have fully funded the pensions years ago that are driving them out of business today. The unions were the ones that arranged for people to retire at 50 and get paid 80% of your salary for the rest of your life. 100% paid healthcare? Unions. It's great if you're the recipient, but there's a reason why that's uncommon - because you cannot stay viable that way.

I_Do_Care
12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Their direct manager and those 3 or 4 guys all need to get whacked. They are in an industry fighting for it's survival. I don't know how other Unions operate - but it sure seems like this stuff is common place with the UAW. Fighting for a deal that bankrupts your company isn't lazy, it's just plain stupid. I never said the corporate execs weren't to blame. It's well documented they could have fully funded the pensions years ago that are driving them out of business today. The unions were the ones that arranged for people to retire at 50 and get paid 80% of your salary for the rest of your life. 100% paid healthcare? Unions. It's great if you're the recipient, but there's a reason why that's uncommon - because you cannot stay viable that way. i can assure you, not all unions have that luxury!!! My father works with the Railroad and is in that Union. They work till 65, pay in for some of their insurance, but are pretty well protected. W/O protections for labor, the US could have become like developing nations that supply Transnational Corporations an inexhaustible amount of unskilled labor. Capitalism that protects its workers ensures Marx's 2nd contradiction of capitalism does not come into fruitition, which is the running of wages so low that the population cannot afford what it produces, as is seen in 3rd world countries. I agree with UAW, excess at its finest, but the blame goes around to much more than the UAW for running the companies into the ground. Lack of foresight and profit today rather than tomorrow drove them into the ground as well. A industry reliant on finite resources should have foreseen eventual downturns in supply of oil, whether we want to or not, we cannot remain reliant on it. Toyota all but owns the alternative fuel market. Sad thing is, they are posting their first loss since WWII days. Global economy is pretty bad.