PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Bridge City and Orangefield

Old Cardinal
08-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Bridge City has 12 of the best speedy, seasoned, 3-year veteran players around. The key to success, is whether Coach Tarver can develop a bunch of unseasoned Juniors. Plain ole blocking and tackling skills are so essential. There are 4 juniors with good skills and a host of playoff hardened Seniors, to carry the team at the start of the season. I would look for the change to wing T, with optioning and passing, to be 4 games in the making. They could easily lose to an upstart LMC, a 4A with 400+ higher enrollment... and also State-ranked, Newton is loaded with skill. I would not be surprised to see them have two loses during this transitional three game preseason-but go UNDEFEATED to the district title. If the Juniors somehow come around, and they could, because they won most of their JV games last year-they will have built the depth during the regular season,that is required to progress in the post season playoffs. Without undue injury, they could surprise almost anyone that would take them lightly in the Post season. Orangefield----Coach Flanagin had a good run at Troup, Tx. He came into a tough 3A District with a small enrollment and a paucity of speedsters. This year, he has the speed and the receivers to navigate to a playoff berth. OF is a real darkhorse and is hungry to put it all together this season!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited August 01, 2002).]

sinton66
08-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Old Cardinal, are they just now installing a new wing-T? If so, my experience says it will take a lot longer to "gel". There are some very precise blocking schemes involved with that offense. I didn't remember you guys being a wing team last year.

Old Cardinal
08-01-2002, 06:38 PM
We have a new Coach and new system, We are excited to see some balance. Last year, as you well know, the past Coach had fleet light backs- but just ran them up the middle-even against a 10 man line! Jeff Mathews from Vidor, figured that out and capitalized on it to win 24-21, in overtime. You know Vidor beat that Nederland team that went so far in the 4A bracketing. Of course, Curtis Barbay and your Coach also capitalized on this inability to change game plan strategy. Tarver's got the QB's with snap, both Jamie Knight and backup Trey Rhodes think well on their feet. Maybe they can gel a little quicker... BC has some very smart kids, they don't have the brawn but can out quick-think you sometimes.

sinton66
08-01-2002, 07:05 PM
From Sinton's experience, I can say the Wing-T is an AWESOME offense when it comes together. It is a tough offense to learn for the linemen, though. Most coaches use the backside linemen to fire downfield and block, calling them "quick tackles and/or guards". When they get it right, it is a thing of beauty. BTW, that's what Everman runs too. Your skill guys will pick it up very quickly, but blocking downfield is strange to linemen, let alone blocking the right people. I wish yall a lot of luck this season, would love to be in the position to give you a rematch, but that's a LONG way off. Sinton went 5-5 Davenport's first year while they were learning the wing, then went to the semi's the next year and never threw the ball once. If yall are used to smash-mouth, this one's some of that but a LOT of motion, misdirection and finesse. I have a feeling YOU will LOVE it!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 01, 2002).]