PDA

View Full Version : Question About All State Selection

olddawggreen
12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a question, not trying to single out any paticular player, and congratulations to all, but can some one explain to me how a player can get to be an all state honorable mention when he didn't make 1st or 2nd team all district, but did receive honorable mention all district. I'm a bit confused about the process?

:confused:

Electus Unus
12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Politics?

3afan
12-20-2008, 11:59 AM
coaches pick the all district teams, media picks the AP all state

there is no correlation between the 2

olddawggreen
12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
coaches pick the all district teams, media picks the AP all state

there is no correlation between the 2

Thanks for the explanation 3afan, I really didn't understand the process on the state level.

Chopblock
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
i saw a few years ago when I lived in another town where the coach wrote a email to the AP giving stats etc. I never thought one kid that made it was that good of player

Necks_Fan
12-20-2008, 12:41 PM
A key example would be XD of Giddings.

He was the Defensive Player of the Year in 3A, but somehow didn't even make first team all district.

Kind of hard to understand.

olddog73
12-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

He was the Defensive Player of the Year in 3A, but somehow didn't even make first team all district.

Its easy for me to understand at the district level, I've seen extreem politics at that level over the years in both football and baseball, to the extent it was a joke within certain schools.

The state level is what puzzels me, even with the media making the pick, it's hard for me to understand how a player with only honorable mention at the district level (even with plenty of political pull), could jump ahead of a number of real stand outs to get an honorable mention for all state. :confused:

olddog73
12-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I have a question, not trying to single out any paticular player, and congratulations to all, but can some one explain to me how a player can get to be an all state honorable mention when he didn't make 1st or 2nd team all district, but did receive honorable mention all district. I'm a bit confused about the process?

:confused:

I was wondering the same thing compadre:thinking:

buff4life
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM

ok how about this...Giddings played how many games this year? 15

district just counts for those 5 games of district, despite the fact I think he definitely should have been 1st team all district

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
ok how about this...Giddings played how many games this year? 15

district just counts for those 5 games of district, despite the fact I think he definitely should have been 1st team all district
I think APSE only includes regular season, but 5 vs 10 still makes a big difference. :)

buff4life
12-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think APSE only includes regular season, but 5 vs 10 still makes a big difference. :)

yea i figured the playoffs didn't count but i was just trying to emphasize my point that sometimes that could happen because the players are outstanding in non district and just good in district

Necks_Fan
12-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
yea i figured the playoffs didn't count but i was just trying to emphasize my point that sometimes that could happen because the players are outstanding in non district and just good in district This is true. I didn't think about that.

BUT, in order to get Defensive Player of the Year, wouldn't he have needed to be outstanding the ENTIRE year?:thinking:

blowfish
12-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Dont be surprised that the media cant get it right. Just look at hier picks to win the game during the year.

90% of them never even see the kids play the go by word of mouth or what is reported in other media.

Our District MVP barely made Honorable mention at State

olddog73
12-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Dont be surprised that the media cant get it right. Just look at hier picks to win the game during the year.

90% of them never even see the kids play the go by word of mouth or what is reported in other media.

Our District MVP barely made Honorable mention at State

Our MVP's didn't even get an honorable mention at state, while a player that only got honorable mention at district got honorable mention at state. Go figure:crazy:

WylieBulldog92
12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
BUT, in order to get Defensive Player of the Year, wouldn't he have needed to be outstanding the ENTIRE year?:thinking:
no