PDA

View Full Version : Trinity football player disciplined for hit on official

Emerson1
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Trinity football player disciplined for hit on official

06:03 PM CST on Friday, December 19, 2008

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News
kwhitmire@dallasnews.com

A Euless Trinity football player has been disciplined for intentionally running over a game official during a playoff game two weeks ago.

"We did conduct an investigation, and he is being disciplined according to the student code of conduct," said Judy Ramos, director of communications for the Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD.

Ramos declined to name the player, but Internet video of the hit shows the player wearing No. 47, which is listed on the Trinity roster as senior linebacker Elikena Fieilo. Fieilo, a second-team all-state linebacker, was the defensive MVP in Trinity's 2007 Class 5A Division I title game win over Converse Judson.

The University Interscholastic League is also investigating the incident and could levy additional sanctions. Trinity football coach Steve Lineweaver directed inquiries to Ramos.

The video, taken from two angles, is from the late stages of Allen's 34-21 win over Trinity in the Class 5A Division I Region I final Dec. 6 at Texas Stadium.

At the snap of the ball, the Trinity linebacker immediately runs to his right and knocks umpire Robert Rosales to the ground, even though Allen is running a play to the linebacker's left.

Ramos said the student has mailed a formal letter of apology to the official. She declined to say what the punishment was.

"He's very remorseful," Ramos said.

The game was officiated by members of the Houston chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officials. Tommy Moore, the chapter's executive secretary, and other officials said they do not believe Rosales intends to pursue legal action. Rosales could not be reached for comment.

Moore said he doubts Rosales realized it was anything but incidental contact until he saw the game video.

"It's common for an official to get run into sometimes because there's a lot of action out there," Moore said. "But I've never seen anything like this video."

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/122008dnspotrinity.2ca3ed3.html

TheDOCTORdre
12-19-2008, 09:24 PM
if he had hit like this during the game they might not have lost

Bull's-eye
12-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Video

http://www.pegasusnews.com/blogs/pegasusnewsblog/2008/dec/15/euless-trinity-ref/