PDA

View Full Version : State Champions from the High Plains

Rabid Cougar
12-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I heard that Canadian was the first team from the High Plains to win a state championship in almost 40 years in 2007.
They have gone and won another one and Muleshoe is right there with them.

They are no strangers to Championships in basketball and volleyball. Glad to see the Panhandle getting into the groove in football.

Matthew328
12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Panhandle has great 1A and 2A...3A and up is awful.....on a par with El Paso

wildstangs
12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Frenship isn't too bad. Definitely doesn't make them a power, but Muleshoe also won a state championship this year.

Matthew328
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
don't consider Frenship the panhandle though.

wildstangs
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
don't consider Frenship the panhandle though.

Ahhh....then what the heck is Lubbock, and where does the Panhandle start?

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
South Plains, as is Muleshoe (I think?).

Rabid Cougar
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Just as much as Hale Center, Shallowater, New Deal , Abernathy and Idalou

Rabid Cougar
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

The Cap Rock... North of Highway 180 and west of Highway 83

Matthew328
12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Plainview is kinda where it starts for me

Da Mules
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Picky, picky, picky... technically the Panhandle starts on a line from the eastern right-angle just north of Childress, and runs straight west to a line just above Friona. but out here, we consider anything from about Lubbock & above to be in the Panhandle area. my Friday night "Panhandle scores" usually include teams that are quite a bit south of Lubbock. All of which are of course actually West Texas teams... unless you live in El Paso. Technically Muleshoe is in the northern end of the western side of the South Plains. So the only "Panhandle" state champs this year would be Canadian and maybe Stratford if they can hold off "Ki-Yoo-Guh". Cayuga is an East Texas team, unless of course you actually live in East Texas. Then you're gonna call it a team from the eastern part of North Central Texas ;)
and while we're at it, where is the Heart of Texas... Brady claims to be.. or is it the heart not actually a point which can only be determined by calculating the most central part of the geographic areas as measured from El Paso, Texarkana, Brownsivlle, Dalhart, & Galveston?
In short, Muleshoe is Panhandle Country.. and the entire Panhandle is proud that da Mules brought one home for the Panhandle.

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules

In short, Muleshoe is Panhandle Country.. and the entire Panhandle is proud that da Mules brought one home for the Panhandle.
Congrats are in order, no matter where it's considered to be. :clap: :clap:

JR2004
12-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Well they may not do much in football at the 3A level, but I do remember a basketball team from Tulia that gave the greatest 3A basketball team of all-time all it could handle in the state final back in 97. Any other year that Tulia team takes home a state title. Sucked that that team had to be the one to play Madison.

I also remember watching the Pampa Harvesters Rayford Young single-handedly beat (destroy might be a better word because JMT had no answer for him.) Madison the year before in the 4A final in 96.

eagles_victory
12-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Picky, picky, picky... technically the Panhandle starts on a line from the eastern right-angle just north of Childress, and runs straight west to a line just above Friona. but out here, we consider anything from about Lubbock & above to be in the Panhandle area. my Friday night "Panhandle scores" usually include teams that are quite a bit south of Lubbock. All of which are of course actually West Texas teams... unless you live in El Paso. Technically Muleshoe is in the northern end of the western side of the South Plains. So the only "Panhandle" state champs this year would be Canadian and maybe Stratford if they can hold off "Ki-Yoo-Guh". Cayuga is an East Texas team, unless of course you actually live in East Texas. Then you're gonna call it a team from the eastern part of North Central Texas ;)
and while we're at it, where is the Heart of Texas... Brady claims to be.. or is it the heart not actually a point which can only be determined by calculating the most central part of the geographic areas as measured from El Paso, Texarkana, Brownsivlle, Dalhart, & Galveston?
In short, Muleshoe is Panhandle Country.. and the entire Panhandle is proud that da Mules brought one home for the Panhandle. Thats tough I think Cayuga is probably right on the centex east texas border. A lot of people call Fairfield East Texas but I consider us to be Central Texas.

WOS87
12-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Kinda reminds me of the arguments about where the border between East Texas and Southeast Texas is, East Texas and North Texas is, Central Texas and South Texas is, etc.

WOS87
12-18-2008, 02:56 AM
I generally defer to the opinions of the locals....

As a Southeast Texas native I've always thought of anything from Lufkin northward as being 100% East Texas, and everything south of Lufkin and east of Harris County as being a Southeast Texas program.

There will always be towns that are in the no-mans land bordering two regions (Around here that would include Livingston, Woodville, Jasper, Burkeville and Newton, all of which straddle the no-mans land between the SE Texas, East Texas and the Greater Houston Areas) and which flip-flop back and forth between the various regions depending on where the majority of their district opponents are located.

T-Time
12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
What the Panhandle and The SouthPlains lack in talent they make up with hard work and strong families. That is a huge plus!

Da Mules
12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Congrats are in order, no matter where it's considered to be. :clap: :clap:

thanks, and congrats to those LH Panthers on another great playoff run. Aren't they from South Texas? :devil:

ShortDog68
12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Liberty Hill is NW of Austin off of Hwy 29 West of Georgetown and East of Burnett.

Blink and you'll miss it.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

There will always be towns that are in the no-mans land bordering two regions (Around here that would include Livingston, Woodville, Jasper, Burkeville and Newton, all of which straddle the no-mans land between the SE Texas, East Texas and the Greater Houston Areas) and which flip-flop back and forth between the various regions depending on where the majority of their district opponents are located.

that is the same on the west side of East Texas with towns like Canton, Wills Point, Kemp, Kaufman and so on

We used to call them the Gaza Strip of HS sports..East Texas media and DFW media never covered them unless one was deep in the play-offs

Balcones fault
12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
This isn't difficult.
Sweet tea = east
Grits = east, Hash browns = west
Sweet bar-b-que sauce = east, Vinegar sauce = west
central = I-35 to I-20 and to I-10 ,
East = I-45 to I-30 NE, to I-10 SE,
South = I-10.
Panhandle, West but better described as....panhandle because its really north but DFW thinks its North. Oops getting complicated.

If in a border/transition region look around. If you're central-ish but have pine trees, you're east. If you're northish but have live oaks and cedar you just might be central. If you have no trees you're the panhandle but you might get confused if you're in the Permian Basin (West Texas) because your trees are called bushes in east Texas.

Otherwise give it a - central. I grew up near San Angelo = west central. Half of our football district was in the panhandle. Put that in your school bus leaving at noon return at 2 am for a district game category of high school hell.

LH Panther Mom
12-18-2008, 07:23 PM
thanks, and congrats to those LH Panthers on another great playoff run. Aren't they from South Texas? :devil:
Thank you! And :p

Matthew328
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Ohh Panhandle plays big time hoops....Tulia played some good ball in the 90s as did Pampa.....Canyon Randall and Amarillo Palo Duro are salty now