PDA

View Full Version : RIP Slingin' Sammy Baugh...

JR2004
12-17-2008, 10:03 PM
You'll be missed... :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AknePMMt5xdbjDcHKhfuEYA5nYcB?slug=ap-obit-baugh&prov=ap&type=lgns

NFL record-setter Baugh dies

By BETSY BLANEY, Associated Press Writer
31 minutes ago

AP - Dec 17, 8:57 pm EST 1 of 6 NFL Gallery LUBBOCK, Texas (AP)—Sammy Baugh, who set numerous passing records with the Washington Redskins in an era when NFL teams were running most every down, died Wednesday night, his son said.

Baugh, who was 94 and had numerous health issues, died at Fisher County Hospital in Rotan, David Baugh said.

David Baugh said his father had battled Alzheimer’s and dementia for several years. He had been ill recently with kidney problems, low blood pressure and double pneumonia.

“It wasn’t the same Sam we all knew,” his son told The Associated Press. “He just finally wore out.”

Sammy Baugh was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s inaugural class.

After starring at TCU, “Slingin’ Sammy” Baugh played with the Redskins from 1937 to 1952.

“Sammy Baugh embodied all we aspire to at the Washington Redskins,” Redskins owner Dan Snyder said. “He was a competitor in everything he did and a winner. He was one of the greatest to ever play the game of football, and one of the greatest the Redskins ever had. My thoughts and prayers are with his family tonight.”

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns in a game—twice—and kicked an 85-yard punt.

“There’s nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football,” Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview. “When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn’t go both ways, they don’t really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, ‘Well, how’d he do on defense? How was his punting?”’

When Baugh entered the NFL, the forward pass was so rare that it was unveiled mostly in desperate situations. But Baugh passed any time.

As a rookie in 1937, Baugh completed a record 81 passes (about seven a game) and led the league with 1,127 yards. At the time, only six passers averaged three completions a game that year. He went on to lead the league in passing six times.

Baugh still holds Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). His 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team’s career list. He still owns the league mark for single-season punting average (51.4).

“He was amazing, just tremendously accurate,” Eddie LeBaron, who took over as Washington’s quarterback in Baugh’s last season, said in a 2002 interview. “He could always find a way to throw it off balance. I’ve seen him throw the ball overarm, sidearm and underarm and complete them.”

Baugh guided the Redskins to five title games and two championships, playing his entire career without a face mask. His No. 33 is the only jersey Washington has retired.

Baugh’s reputation blossomed as a star high school football, baseball and basketball player in Sweetwater. It began to grow during his college days at TCU.

It was there that he picked up the nickname “Slingin’ Sammy”—but it wasn’t for his passing. It was for the rockets he fired to first base as a shortstop and third baseman.

Everybody thought I was a better baseball player growing up,” he said in 2002. “I thought I was going to be a big league baseball player.”

As an All-American football player, he led TCU to a 29-7-3 mark, including Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl victories. He masterfully executed an early ancestor of the West Coast offense at TCU, and he credits Horned Frogs coach Dutch Meyer with his NFL success.

“I was a little ahead of a lot of football players in those days because of Dutch,” he said.

Baugh was known to make blunt, witty remarks.

After the Redskins’ 73-0 loss to the Chicago Bears in the 1940 championship, a writer asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped an early touchdown pass.

“Yeah,” drawled Baugh. “It would have been 73-7.”

Baugh was known for his reclusiveness.

After his NFL career, Baugh retreated to his 7,600-acre West Texas ranch about 95 miles southeast of Lubbock. The Hall of Fame and the Redskins have tried to lure him east for ceremonies over the years, and he always turned them down.

For years he drove to Snyder three or four times a week for golf, until sore knees, searing heat and the 100-mile round trip made those outings too tough.

But he always enjoyed football season.

“I’ll watch it all damn day long,” Baugh, who often sprinkled his conversation with mild obscenities, told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. “I like the football they play. They got bigger boys, and they’ve also got these damn speed merchants that we didn’t have in those days. I’d love to be quarterback this day and time.”

He bought the Double Mountain Ranch, named for two hills that jut out of the flat earth north of his house, in 1941. He and his wife, Edmonia, who died in 1990, raised five children on the arid expanse covered with mesquite trees, prickly pear cactus and about 500 cows.

He came to the ranch full time in the mid-1960s, after several two years coaching the New York Titans and a year with the Houston Oilers.

Associated Press Writer John McFarland in Dallas and AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington contributed to this report.

WylieBulldog92
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I was reading on the bottom line, that he had four touchdown passes in one game, and four interceptions that is ridiculous!

JR2004
12-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I was reading on the bottom line, that he had four touchdown passes in one game, and four interceptions that is ridiculous!

Yep you can bet that'll never, ever happen again. That'll be a record that stands the test of time.

injuredinmelee
12-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Baugh several times and let me tell you you wouldnt ever meet a more animated or colorful feller.

Best wishes to his family in this sad time.

Bull Butter
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Rest In Peace, Mr. Baugh.:(

GetRDoneStangs
12-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Many Thanks to a man who helped change the game forever!!!!

My heartfelt prayers to the Baugh family and my heartfelt thanks as well for allowing the TSTC Sammy Baugh Classic to bear his great name!!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/HORIZONTAL2008TSTCSBCLOGOcopy.jpg

SALUTE !!!!

GetRDoneStangs
12-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92

I wonder what his punting average was for that game!!!! He set several records as a punter as well....I think 1 or 2 of them still stand today!

Oh yea...he could act too!!!!

King of the Texas Rangers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4M1OMTSac&feature=related)

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=luksa_frank&id=3776948&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

Good article on ESPN.com

BMOC
12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Great article, great man. Prayers go to the family. Had an oppurtunity to meet his son that coached at Snyder, another really great person.

GetRDoneStangs
12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Another great story on Sammy.......I do apologize for my quotes and input to the story.......my wife and I had just walked out of the theater in Abilene when the reporter called me. Wa had just finished seeing Glenn Beck's "Christmas Sweater"....my mind was a bit mushy....but great story anyway!!

Sammy Baugh left quite a legacy in the Big Country. The former Sweetwater star passed away Wednesday at age 94.

In his hometown, Baugh is still an important part of the high school football program, current Mustangs coach Kent Jackson said.

"When you talk about a tradition that has been built here over the years and they many, many great things that have happened, you start looking at a real short list of folks who had a whole lot to do with putting Sweetwater on the map," Jackson said. "I think Sammy's name would definitely be at the top of that."

Baugh and Clyde "Bulldog" Turner were former Sweetwater players who went on to earn induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Baugh was part of the inaugural induction class of 1963. Turner, who earned Little All-American honors at Hardin-Simmons before a 13-year career with the Chicago Bears, was inducted in 1966.(Baugh) and Bulldog Turner played at the highest levels," Jackson said. "Any time you've got folks like that from your community, it's not only very rare but something that does mean a lot to a lot of people.

"To be associated with a program like that and have a part in it is something we take a whole lot of pride in. We do talk to our kids about the fact that there has been a lot of people come through here who have touched this thing and done things to make it special. It's our job each day to try to keep that type of thing in place and keep that tradition strong."

Baugh also was part of the inaugural class inducted into the Big Country Hall of Fame in 2002, joining Mindy Myers, Charles Coody, Don Maynard and Gordon Wood.

"I had a chance to play 18 hole with him once," former Reporter-News sports editor Al Pickett said of Baugh. "He was the most common famous person I ever met. There were no airs about him. He was just an old rancher who happened to be one of the greatest football players of all time.

"For several years, they had a celebrity Sammy Baugh tournament to raise money for a scholarship at Sul Ross. They played it both in Colorado City and Snyder. I got a chance to play in the first two years of that, and everybody came -- Darrell Royal, Dick Noland, Frank Broyles, just an amazing who's who. To me, that's one of my thrills of life, getting to know him."

An additional link between Baugh and Sweetwater football came in 2005 with the formation of the TSTC West Texas Sammy Baugh Classic, one of a number of early-season events that bring several games to a central site, in this case Sweetwater's Mustang Bowl.

...Story is quite lengthy.....here is the link....

Baugh's Legacy (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/dec/18/baughs-legacy/)

Macarthur
12-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I had the pleasure of playing for his son. Lots of great memories.

I can remember as a kid going to ask for his autograph on a popcorn box at an Iowa Park Vernon game in 83 or so.

Maximus
12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
God's Quarterbacking crew just got alot better!

Phil C
12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
A great QB and person. RIP Mr. Baugh. :(

GetRDoneStangs
12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
God's Quarterbacking crew just got alot better!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/sammybaugh.jpg

eagles_victory
12-18-2008, 02:01 PM
He was a real Baugh hawk in the secondary and a great athlete and sounds like a great man from what I have been hearing.

charlesrixey
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
rest in peace, texas legend!

g$$
12-18-2008, 05:55 PM
One of the all-time greats who takes a backseat to no one.

RIP Sammy Baugh.

DaHop72
12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
I was very fortunate to know Sammy and to play golf with him, he was a wonderful man who didn't really care to be know as Sammy Baugh the football player, he just preferred to be Sammy Baugh, the person and friend.

I remember when the Redskins were in the Super Bowl and they went to his ranch to interview him and he was sitting in his recliner with his chewing tobacco and old coffee can to spit in and wearing his Grimmett Brothers gimme hat and wearing his house shoes, no putting on airs for Sam.

RIP Sammy

mustang68
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Arguably the best all around player in the history of the game.
It was a great honor to know him and his family as he was during my lifetime, an unassuming West Texas rancher.

RIP Sammy

GetRDoneStangs
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM
One of Sam's most famous quotes......

For all of Baugh’s exploits, a tale from his rookie season endures. It is evidently apocryphal, but its telling reflects the awe in which Baugh was held for his uncanny passing skills and self-confidence.

Baugh was taking the field for his first practice session with the Redskins when his coach, Ray Flaherty, handed him the football.

“They tell me you’re quite a passer,” Flaherty is said to have remarked.

“I reckon I can throw a little,” Baugh replied.

“Show me,” Flaherty said. “Hit that receiver in the eye.”

To which Baugh supposedly responded, “Which eye?” :D :D

I have read that before...too funny..!!!

Here is the story from the New York Times

Sammy Baugh, N.F.L. Great, Dies at 94 (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/sports/football/18baugh.html?ex=1245214800&en=c50b20a298c5b6cd&ei=5087&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=GN-S-E-GG-SP-S-sammy_baugh)

bigwood33
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I remember reading another great story about him.

He was getting roughed up by some opposing d-lineman and after several late hits, today would have been roughing the passer, he had all of it he was going to take. He tells his o-lineman to "just let the SOB through and I will put a stop to this sh!it". When the d-lineman breaks through and thinks he has a clear shot on Sammy, he cocked that rocket for a right arm and let the guy have it from only 2 or 3 yards away...right between the eyes! He knocked the guy cold and sent an effective message to anyone else who had designs on "giving him the business".

g$$
12-19-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/6172419.html

Great article from John MClain of the Houston Chronicle. Check out the Hollywood part...

I guarantee you my late Dad finds time to visit w/ him now & talk about the good ol' days.

GetRDoneStangs
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I just got in from the family visitation in Rotan.....LOTS of folks and media.....Rotan won't be able to hold em all at the funeral tomorrow!!!

I was fortunate to meet a gentleman who was Sammy's room mate while in New York...he still could tell a few "stories" of the day...I just can't repeat them here!!!!

He later introduced himself as Jack Copland (not sure of the spelling) and he was actually on Sammy's coaching staff at Hardin Simmons and in New York...as a trainer.

He is the only one still alive from the original New York Titans coaching staff.

Very interesting and distinguished man!!

Looking4number8
12-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Get er done, how are you kin? (if you don't mind me asking)

skins4life
12-21-2008, 06:39 PM
He was the WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!
Like DaHop said he didn't care who you were you were a man and would talk anything with you. I was very lucky to have met him.

RIP Sam!!!!!!

GetRDoneStangs
12-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Get er done, how are you kin? (if you don't mind me asking)

Not kin.....I just have worked with the family closely wiith the Sammy Baugh Classic. Also, I have known his son Stephen through my job. He works for a company that provides services for the pipeline industry.

skins4life
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Not kin.....I just have worked with the family closely wiith the Sammy Baugh Classic. Also, I have known his son Stephen through my job. He works for a company that provides services for the pipeline industry.

GetRDoneStangs,

When you see Stephen Monday, tell him if I wasn't going to Florida for Christmas I would be there and we'll be praying for the family.

GetRDoneStangs
12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
GetRDoneStangs,

When you see Stephen Monday, tell him if I wasn't going to Florida for Christmas I would be there and we'll be praying for the family.

If I get to make it...not sure if I am....:( :( ....but will do if I go.