PDA

View Full Version : Football of the future

Maroon87
12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Someone's developing a football with insane technology
By MJD

An official NFL football sells right now for $89.99 at amazon.com. Seems a little pricey, but that's genuine leather, and it's got Roger Goodell's signature on there. That signature alone is at least $60 worth of integrity and discipline.

If you want to get an estimate of how much a football might cost, say, five years from now (assuming that a major economic collapse doesn't happen, which puts me out on more of a limb than I'd like to be), take that same football ... crack it open, stuff an iPhone and an advanced GPS unit in there and then ring that up.

If one of those things goes into the stands, the league will hire Rae Carruth to go get it back for them.

From Mark Roth at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dr. Priya Narasimhan of Carnegie Mellon University has her students working on a football that could tell officials:

• Exactly when the ball broke the plane of the end zone (ahem)
• If the ball was caught before hitting the ground
• Who actually possesses the ball underneath a pile
• Whether or not a receiver has control of the ball as he's heading out of bounds

All this is accomplished via a GPS receiver inside the football and an accelerometer that tracks speed and trajectory of the ball. If any of this ever comes to fruition, juiced baseballs and hockey pucks that make the red light go on would no longer be the height of technology in sports.

Now, for the moment, this is just a personal project of Dr. Narashimhan and her students and they've had contact with no one in the NFL. I don't know if anyone in the league has ever even looked into something like this. Myself, I think it would a great thing for the NFL, but who knows what kind of technology they're even willing to consider. Sometimes, I get the feeling that half of the NFL owners would like to go back to leather helmets and no facemasks.

WylieBulldog92
12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Wouldn't that affect the weight and all that of a football though?

Electus Unus
12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Bob Ryan mentioned this on Around The Horn and WylieBulldog92 it is only a chip that they have to put in there so it wouldn't have an effect.

Pick6
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Old news being rehashed. Tex Schramm talked about this 25 years ago.

pirate4state
12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Old news being rehashed. Tex Schramm talked about this 25 years ago. you're old

Lion_Addict
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you're old

:tisk: Now that was not very nice woman! :p

Pick6
12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you're old

Almost 4 decades old. Just remember, old is another term for "experienced".

pirate4state
12-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Almost 4 decades old. Just remember, old is another term for "experienced". I'll keep that in mind! :D

pirate4state
12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
:tisk: Now that was not very nice woman! :p Who said I was nice? {looks around} LIARS!

BreckTxLonghorn
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Tuesday Morning Quarterback is going to have a field day with this.

bigYoe
12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
If this actually happens I think the NFL owners would disregard it and not let it ever touch an NFL field. That would basically take ALOT of catches out that the Refs and cameras miss but still look GREAT on TV. If they did decide to let this sort of thing come in the the league then it will be years down the line.

crzyjournalist03
12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Even with the technology, I don't see how you can tell who has the ball at the bottom of the scrum.

OrangeChamps
12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Technology is killing this game. Anyone else enjoy the excitment of the unknown.