PDA

View Full Version : Celina Football

hookandladder
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I would like to know if the players on the Celina football team have parents and or cousins that also played football for Celina. Would like to know is there former players that now have kids or grandkids playing. I know if you look at successful teams in our area in Volleyball, you can look up in the stands and see Moms who also played on State Championship teams years ago for their home town. Is this the same in Celina in footabll.

charlesrixey
12-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I would like to know if the players on the Celina football team have parents and or cousins that also played football for Celina. Would like to know is there former players that now have kids or grandkids playing. I know if you look at successful teams in our area in Volleyball, you can look up in the stands and see Moms who also played on State Championship teams years ago for their home town. Is this the same in Celina in footabll.

yes

as the town grows, the percentage gets smaller, but i would be willing to bet it used to be 50%+

probably 15-20% now

OrangeChamps
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
On the varsity, I can think of 4. Probably a couple more, but as far as cousins & grandparents I'm not certain.

CelinaTurf
12-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Celina and Prosper is home to more than just success stories in high school. I live not more than 4 miles from 9 current / former professional athletes... 8 football and 1 baseball. (Names: Torres, Carter, James, White, Sanders, Edwards, Lynn, Stoutmire, Selmon. I believe not too long ago there were a couple of former players named Aikman and Bradshaw that lived in these parts too.) Two of them have kids in on the team. There are probably more, but I just don't know it for sure. Others are children of college studs. The natural talent in this area is totally incredible.

The other thing that makes these kids so good is that they know each other so well. They have been playing the same plays since before they can remember anything. They were born being told they are successful in football (and other sports too). They have played the same positions and beside the same kids their whole lives. They know what their neighbor is going to do in any given situation. That's what makes them so successful.

Plus they have unyielding faith in their coaches. Why shouldn't they - they see success when they do it the coaches way - they get championships - they are revered.

You may not realize this, but the football team isn't only the Celina High School Bobcats, but they are also the Celina Bobcats. The team belongs to the town, not the school. The coach isn't only an employee of the school; he's an employee of the town. Everyone looks out for the players, and everyone helps the players know their responsibility to the town (not just the team).

You see, when the Bobcats win a title, the TOWN wins a title, not just the school. When the Bobcats lost their third game (to Prosper), the whole town was down. Hardly anyone will say "they won another title". What people around here say is, "WE WON AGAIN!" A lady told me last week, "Earlier in the year, I didn't think We'd still be in the playoffs at this point." You see, when a player makes a touchdown, we all feel the joy of that score. "We scored again" is heard in the stands. If a player gets injured, 30 people from the stands will go to the sidelines to check on the player and to find out what this means to them.

Celina's success comes from a dogmatic refusal to accept second-best as good enough. We expect us to win, and we do.

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by CelinaTurf
Celina and Prosper is home to more than just success stories in high school. I live not more than 4 miles from 9 current / former professional athletes... 8 football and 1 baseball. (Names: Torres, Carter, James, White, Sanders, Edwards, Lynn, Stoutmire, Selmon. I believe not too long ago there were a couple of former players named Aikman and Bradshaw that lived in these parts too.) Two of them have kids in on the team. There are probably more, but I just don't know it for sure. Others are children of college studs. The natural talent in this area is totally incredible.

The other thing that makes these kids so good is that they know each other so well. They have been playing the same plays since before they can remember anything. They were born being told they are successful in football (and other sports too). They have played the same positions and beside the same kids their whole lives. They know what their neighbor is going to do in any given situation. That's what makes them so successful.

Plus they have unyielding faith in their coaches. Why shouldn't they - they see success when they do it the coaches way - they get championships - they are revered.

You may not realize this, but the football team isn't only the Celina High School Bobcats, but they are also the Celina Bobcats. The team belongs to the town, not the school. The coach isn't only an employee of the school; he's an employee of the town. Everyone looks out for the players, and everyone helps the players know their responsibility to the town (not just the team).

You see, when the Bobcats win a title, the TOWN wins a title, not just the school. When the Bobcats lost their third game (to Prosper), the whole town was down. Hardly anyone will say "they won another title". What people around here say is, "WE WON AGAIN!" A lady told me last week, "Earlier in the year, I didn't think We'd still be in the playoffs at this point." You see, when a player makes a touchdown, we all feel the joy of that score. "We scored again" is heard in the stands. If a player gets injured, 30 people from the stands will go to the sidelines to check on the player and to find out what this means to them.

Celina's success comes from a dogmatic refusal to accept second-best as good enough. We expect us to win, and we do.
So, I'm guessing "very few" is your answer? :p

coachkiss
12-17-2008, 12:43 AM
OK, here we go...

There is a tackle whose dad played, a split end/db whose dad played, a defensive lineman who has had many cousins play, and that's all I can remember.

Mark

jambo67
12-17-2008, 02:11 AM
I wonder how many Celina players grew up in Plano and how many transferred in middle school. I always thought Celina was like Collin County's (Plano)super B team. Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but their success asks questions. Not saying Celina is recruiting but it does seem parents are moving for the purpose of sports. If that's the case I don't blame anyone. If my kid was a good athlete at Plano and still just a face in the crowd I'd make the move too.

kepdawg
12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
:1popcorn:

jambo67
12-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Give me your thoughts KEPDAWG. I trust your opinion, am I wrong?

block&tackle
12-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Every single one of Celina's AP All-State players were born in Celina.:D :D

hookandladder
12-17-2008, 08:00 AM
This is exactly what I thought was going on in Celina, Congrats on being such a devoted Community to your programs. The reason I asked this question is that here in La Grange we do not have many former stud players that return to make their home here. Some posters on this board may not agree with me but what you guy's have going on in Celina is special and definitely an advantage over other school's, I would assume there are other school's also. I also thought I heard someone on ESPN say their kid is also going to school there, might have been somewhere else. The last couple of State Championships that we won in Football,Baseball and Softball can be traced back to the players parents who either won State Championships or played for one. Not all but in most athelete's you can look at the Mom's and Dad's to see where they get their talent.Just my opinion.

coachkiss
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
I think most people move here in the 4th-7th time frame. Of all the kids on the varsity team this year, most of them have been here a while. I can't recall anyone who moved in during their freshman/sophomore year.

hookandladder
12-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
OK, here we go...

There is a tackle whose dad played, a split end/db whose dad played, a defensive lineman who has had many cousins play, and that's all I can remember.

Mark

Is Mark your first name or do you know me.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So, I'm guessing "very few" is your answer? :p :fnypost:

gatordaze
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I think most people move here in the 4th-7th time frame. Of all the kids on the varsity team this year, most of them have been here a while. I can't recall anyone who moved in during their freshman/sophomore year.

We did get one kid that is a Sophomore from McKinney on JV and one that came in as a Freshman but he is moving to Austin now. We do have "move outs" as well!!! The Freshman is gonna hurt as he is 6'0" 220 and thick

MN95
12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by jambo67
I wonder how many Celina players grew up in Plano and how many transferred in middle school. I always thought Celina was like Collin County's (Plano)super B team. Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but their success asks questions. Not saying Celina is recruiting but it does seem parents are moving for the purpose of sports. If that's the case I don't blame anyone. If my kid was a good athlete at Plano and still just a face in the crowd I'd make the move too.

Well, here is our story. We moved to Texas in 1998 because of a job transfer, chose to live in Plano. We moved to Celina just before school started in 2003. At that time my son was going into 6th grade and my daughter into 5th. They are now a soph and freshman.

I was aware that Celina had a good football team at the time but can honestly say that is not why we moved. Two main reasons: wanted more space (yard, driveway) for the kids to play, and we wanted our kids to go to a smaller school than the 1300 kids graduating classes in Plano. We actually only moved 17 miles from our house in Plano to our house in Celina.

It was a great decision. We got much more than we knew we were getting at the time. Celina is a town that is all about God and Country, and makes no apologies for it. This permeates the town and the schools, and yes, our athletic programs. We feel blessed to be part of this community and as a father, I feel great that my kids have an opportunity to represent this great community.

MN95
12-17-2008, 09:32 AM

I think most people, if they decide to move, try to do it before their kids get into high school. That was our thinking anyway. It's a more difficult adjustment for kids the older they get.

OrangeChamps
12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
OK, here we go...

Mark

There is also a quarterback who's grandad played and a running back who's dad played.

RPF2666
12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
We moved here for family, plain and simple, from California. If they'd have been in Timbuktu, we'd be in Timbuktu! Oh thank heaven they didn't choose Timbuktu!

Our kids were 2nd and 3rd grade and it was now or never for us when we moved.

If we were moving for quality of life, quality of people and sports, I can't think of a better place than Celina...We got lucky and are not afraid to count our blessings!

coachkiss
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty dumb to forget that. That quarterback has along the lines of 5000 cousins who have played.

OrangeChamps
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty dumb to forget that. That quarterback has along the lines of 5000 cousins who have played.

Quite possibly the most dominant family in Celina Football. Pretty good athletes too!

jockcity33
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
OK, here we go...

Mark

The rest have been recruited....LOL

coachkiss
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I really would like to claim some sort of relationship to the Vest family. If I tried hard enough, I probably could.

People don't realize the impact that one family has had on Celina. There are a few Vests still around, but many of them have different last names now.

I may be off on my numbers a little bit, but there were two Vest siblings that had 19 and 17 kids, respectively. The other family that you have to watch for is the Perry family. They have had some good athletes as well. The problem with them is that you can't talk about them, because all of them have different last names. (I'm a Perry, so I can talk about them).

I think there have only been 2-3 classes in the last 30 years that haven't had a Perry relative on them. I'm sure the Vests have a similar streak.

BILLYFRED0000
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
We moved here because we went to church with a bunch of Celinians on occasion and loved the way they looked at things and life. Love it. My girls obviously have no football but my number one daugther has 4 state superior ratings in choir solo and ensemble contests and my number 2 daughter is the first and so far only girl to win the district medalist in golf. I do have a boy tearin up the field in pee wee but who knows how that will turn out. But he does want to be a Bobcat and loves his football.

coachkiss
12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
We moved here from Celina, TN because of an outbreak of hog cholera in Arkansas. We were going to stop there, but we just kept moving to Texas with the family in the wagon.

That was my great-great-great-great grandfather's reason to move to Celina. My grandparents attended school at the old schoolhouse in Weston. My mother attended the old school (Alla) before they built the new high school up there. My father attended McKinney.

My parents ended up getting a house in Weston, and moved to another house in 1973.

We bought the house from them five years ago, and our son is attending Celina schools, just like I did. The other three kids aren't old enough yet.

Rocket Dad
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I know a family that moved to Celina - the Tolberts' - The dad was an outstanding ath. from East Texas - told a friend of mine he was taking his family to Celina when the boys were young, I guess they are still there. He wanted a family atmosphere and a solid sports program for his boys.

Maximus
12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
I always thought Celina was like Collin County's (Plano)super B team.

From the looks of things, Plano is Collin County's Super B Team! LOL!

(Prosper, Celina, Wylie, Allen-all in the Title Games! Where's Plano?):taunt:

Maximus
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
The rest have been recruited....LOL

Somebody finally pointed it out!

But LHill is the same way, too!

Balcones fault
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Seriously, have you ever spent much time in Plano or even Frisco? Celina (and for that matter, LH) still have ranches, farms, ie, open space. That's what attracted me even before I had a wife and kids. The community and schools were a bonus.

We moved away when daughter was in 4th grade but the town remains largely unchanged, except for a slightly larger population and the new high school is pretty nice. Its not for everyone, necessarily, and its got lots of Aggies, Republicans, and Baptists so its pretty conservative. NTTAWWT. The biggest congregation, though, is the home football games.

The total community experience at games in smaller towns, is far superior to that in a suburb, IMO, based on our experiences (daughter graduated from a 4A school).

One other thing has changed....it was downright strange to be able to buy beer at EL's. Dang suburban refugees done voted it wet, I reckon. :)

allforball
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
This is exactly what I thought was going on in Celina, Congrats on being such a devoted Community to your programs. The reason I asked this question is that here in La Grange we do not have many former stud players that return to make their home here. Some posters on this board may not agree with me but what you guy's have going on in Celina is special and definitely an advantage over other school's, I would assume there are other school's also. I also thought I heard someone on ESPN say their kid is also going to school there, might have been somewhere else. The last couple of State Championships that we won in Football,Baseball and Softball can be traced back to the players parents who either won State Championships or played for one. Not all but in most athelete's you can look at the Mom's and Dad's to see where they get their talent.Just my opinion.
Craig James' son I believe plays for Celina.

alaskacat
12-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Thisis Craigs 2nd son to play at Celina. the other is at Texas Tech

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Sure....my sons were 5th grade, 4-1/2 & 1-1/2 when we moved here. And a very large number of the kids in this senior class started kindergarten here OR the parents had gone to school here & they moved "home". :hand:

RunningWest
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
So you were a move in?

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by RunningWest
So you were a move in?
Yes, from Lubbock 13 1/2 years ago. :confused:

OldNavy
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I am a 4th generation Celina boy. Played four years, graduating in 68, my brother played 4 years, graduating in 70 and our brother-in-law played on the 74 state championship team. I raised girls but in the last 9 years I have had 3 nephews play, all got rings and two got multiple rings to go along with their Dad's. It is a pretty impressive collection all together.

One of my team mates is assistant superintendant of CISD, my brother and I competed in football against Coach Ford, he playing for Pilot Point. I think my last Prosper cousin playing for Prosper graduated about 4 years ago, but there were many that played there over the years as well. My sister teaches in Celina High School.

I used to know almost everyone in Celina when I grew up here, but today there is over 5,000 in town and perhaps another 4,000 in the school district and I don't know most of them, but I have found there are a lot of family connections and I am surprised many times a year whin I discover people I meet for the first time are related to people I have known all my life. Best be careful who you talk about because you may be talking to their relative.

One of the original members of the Celina Quarterback club which started about 55 years ago still attends regular meetings and his last grandson got a championship ring and is playing college ball. As a matter of fact, his two sons and at least two grandsons starred on very successful Celina teams.

Celina is 5 times the size it was when I played. In the 50s, Celina was a rural commercial hub, then in the 60s, roads improved and people began to commute to better jobs in "The City," today, jobs are moving closer to our commuiity, but most still commute. That will change as growth, while slowed a good bit by the economy is still coming this way. However, I hope the community, church and competative spirit that has grown hear over the last 127 years of Celina's existance doesn't change just because it grows larger.

I too believe this is a great place to raise a family and because I feel the way I do about this community and perhaps the most successful football program over the last 40 or 50 years in the state of Texas, it gets under my skin when people infer that the only way to have that kind of success for so long is to cheat! "They must be recruiting." --Cheating gets discovered if it is happening-- you don't build enduring success with lies and deceit.

We have been lucky to have leaders in this community that wanted to have a quality program and we have been fortunate to have more than our share of outstanding coaches that were willing to come here and stay for long periods of time to teach and train our kids. We have not been on the new coach every 3 years program perhaps since the early 60s. That is the luck we have had. There is talant every where, it sometimes takes great teachers and mentors to bring it out. We have had that and it has been a blessing. I don't know how long it can last, but I have been greatfull for my small association with it for over 45 years.

JR2004
12-18-2008, 01:15 AM
OldNavy,

I enjoyed getting to speak to you awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed the stories you told about Celina back when you were playing as well as some of the more recent things you spoke about concerning the town and such. That story about the game at Pilot Point and the volunteer fire department was hilarious! I always find stories from many years ago to be interesting. I would hope more folks would get to hear you tell your stories from your time as a Bobcat way back when many of us weren't yet born. Anyhow I just found your stories very, very interesting.

Oh and I really would've liked to have made it to one meeting of your QB Club, but I'll be honest...That's so early in the morning for me...lol. Perhaps next year I'll force myself to get up that early and make it to one! You made it sound like you and many others have a lot of fun with it so it might be cool to go there with you once next season. I may have to just stay up the entire night and take the day off to sleep to make it!

Good luck to your Bobcats on Friday. Two of my friends and myself might wind up being out there at the game. I believe I left you a message Saturday night congratulating you on your team's big win against Liberty Hill. At least I hope that was your number...lol.

hookandladder
12-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by OldNavy
I am a 4th generation Celina boy. Played four years, graduating in 68, my brother played 4 years, graduating in 70 and our brother-in-law played on the 74 state championship team. I raised girls but in the last 9 years I have had 3 nephews play, all got rings and two got multiple rings to go along with their Dad's. It is a pretty impressive collection all together.

One of my team mates is assistant superintendant of CISD, my brother and I competed in football against Coach Ford, he playing for Pilot Point. I think my last Prosper cousin playing for Prosper graduated about 4 years ago, but there were many that played there over the years as well. My sister teaches in Celina High School.

I used to know almost everyone in Celina when I grew up here, but today there is over 5,000 in town and perhaps another 4,000 in the school district and I don't know most of them, but I have found there are a lot of family connections and I am surprised many times a year whin I discover people I meet for the first time are related to people I have known all my life. Best be careful who you talk about because you may be talking to their relative.

One of the original members of the Celina Quarterback club which started about 55 years ago still attends regular meetings and his last grandson got a championship ring and is playing college ball. As a matter of fact, his two sons and at least two grandsons starred on very successful Celina teams.

Celina is 5 times the size it was when I played. In the 50s, Celina was a rural commercial hub, then in the 60s, roads improved and people began to commute to better jobs in "The City," today, jobs are moving closer to our commuiity, but most still commute. That will change as growth, while slowed a good bit by the economy is still coming this way. However, I hope the community, church and competative spirit that has grown hear over the last 127 years of Celina's existance doesn't change just because it grows larger.

I too believe this is a great place to raise a family and because I feel the way I do about this community and perhaps the most successful football program over the last 40 or 50 years in the state of Texas, it gets under my skin when people infer that the only way to have that kind of success for so long is to cheat! "They must be recruiting." --Cheating gets discovered if it is happening-- you don't build enduring success with lies and deceit.

We have been lucky to have leaders in this community that wanted to have a quality program and we have been fortunate to have more than our share of outstanding coaches that were willing to come here and stay for long periods of time to teach and train our kids. We have not been on the new coach every 3 years program perhaps since the early 60s. That is the luck we have had. There is talant every where, it sometimes takes great teachers and mentors to bring it out. We have had that and it has been a blessing. I don't know how long it can last, but I have been greatfull for my small association with it for over 45 years.

Very nice post from someone who has been their done that, I personally am very impressed with towns such like Celina. Here in La Grange we like our Football also but Baseball I would say has been king a little longer, not knocking our football program which has had some success. I hate to say it but when we are winning in any sport then the community support, not saying we do not have any support but no where near what Celina has but not many do. Our athletic facilities have been at the bottom of our District for quite some time, we now have a new Super who is making great changes in our school facilities. The boy's and girls will be playing on state of the art baseball and softball fields in the spring, the fields are going to be amazing better than most College fields. The football field will be next which is a disgrace, visiting teams don't even dress in the visitor's dressing room. I know that all I have talked about is directed towards athlete's but other changes throughout the entire school are also taking place, I for one am very pleased these changes are going at this time because my son will be a Freshman next year and will be able to play on some of the finest fields around.Congrats again to Celina and also Giddings was a pretty good team this year and Carthage put it on them so I would think Celina has it's hands full this week. Still very hard not to think Celina won't get it done.

Celina-35
Carthage-21