PDA

View Full Version : Ice Stories

CelinaTurf
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I wrecked my mother-in-laws truck TWICE on the same day.

Strike ONE:
3 or 4 years ago (Christmas Eve I think) I was driving my mother-in-laws rear wheel drive pick-up truck to work and back (mine was in the shop). It started icing on the roads that afternoon. Everyone at my office was getting more nervous by the minute.

We let everyone go about 4 or so to get home while there was some daylight left. I left the office about 5 minutes later and got on 75 and headed North (about 20 mph). I entered the freeway around Campbell staying about 200 feet behind a truck in the right lane, and a little compact car about 100 feet ahead in the middle lane. Before long (before the next exit) I watched as the red 2500 lost control... first to the right, then back to the left, then finally it gripped some road and went head on into the retaining wall. He wasn't hurt since he was probably only driving 20 mph himself.

My first accident began to unfold when the red truck bed was sticking out in my lane and the car in the middle lane chose to stay the course and let off the gas. I touched my break and quickly remembered that rear wheel drive and ice don't mix too well. I started to slow down, but the engine was the only break I could use.

I began to close in on the truck, and I began to realize that if that little car didn’t scoot over it might not turn out well. Sure enough we all ended up at the same place at the same time. I thought… “Maybe I can squeeze through them… maybe there’s enough room for my 150…” NOPE!

The little car lost his back bumper. I called my wife and she was not happy, but wished me safety on the rest of my journey.

STRIKE TWO:
After a short delay I continued on my long journey home. Not too far down the way, the highway was closed (due to an accident of course). Well, I know several ways home so I took off – SLOWLY – to get home. On the way I had to cross over another highway.

So there it was in front of me… The VERY FROZEN – HILL TYPE OVERPASS. I started over about 5-10 mph. As I topped the “hill” it became evident that things were going to go wrong again.

At the bottom of the “hill” was a shiny Cadillac parked sideways in my lane. I just touched the break and started my skid. I hoped I’d stop before I got to the crest, but I just managed to make it over… once I didn’t stop I thought, “DUNG! I’m gonna hit that stupid car. I did notice a woman was standing beside the road next to the car waiting on the inevitable. I T-Boned that car right in the drivers door. DUNG!

I dreaded calling the wife. She yelled and yelled. I decided it would be best to just grab a hotel and just start over the next day.