PDA

View Full Version : Why Did't the Packers go for it?

Phil C
01-12-2004, 12:17 PM
There was about two minutes and they were in Eagle territory and had fourth and less than a yard to go and their running game had been killing the Eagles all day long and could have probably easily gotten the first down and then ate up most of the remaining time. Instead they tried to draw the Eagles offside and got penalized and had to kick and then the Eagles got the tie and won in overtime. Why?

pirate4state
01-12-2004, 12:54 PM
The real question is why didn't he kick a field goal early in the game when they had 4th and goal?? Gave away 3 pts. AND then the defense blows it on 4th & 26 eek! Philly should have [b]never[b] gotten that 1st down!! Great game and great weekend of football!!

Jacket2000
01-12-2004, 01:07 PM
LOL, welcome to the Monday Mornin' QB Club! It's all second guessin', and if this is something you indulge in, then coaching is not for you. Sherman made his decisions, the plays coulda gone either way. Had they gone his way, he'd be a genius this morning. Welcome to football.
J2K

sportsguru
01-12-2004, 01:18 PM
The Packers are going to be thinking about the one that got away yesterday for quite a long time. First off, with 2 minutes left and you have the chance to score and go up by 10 at the half in a divisional playoff game on the road you take the points. 2nd,i think that was the right decision to punt late in the game. Usually, you should be able to trust an nfl defense to stop someone on 4th and 26. Then in overtime favre just gives it to the eagles as he lofted the ball right to them. i think he wanted to play football again next year. he had said that if the packers won the super bowl this year he would probably retire. He wanted to play next year so he threw the ball to the eagles so his career could continue. (i am just joking). But it did seem sort of odd that he makes a throw like that in overtime.

poncho
01-12-2004, 01:20 PM
pirate4state:
The real question is why didn't he kick a field goal early in the game when they had 4th and goal?? Gave away 3 pts. AND then the defense blows it on 4th & 26 eek! Philly should have [b]never[b] gotten that 1st down!! Great game and great weekend of football!!Its easier for me to see the rationale behind going for it on 4th down, when Philly hadn't demostrated the ability to stop the run. The Packers were on a roll at the time, and where looking to deliver a knockout blow to Philly. But not going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes or so left and in Philly's territory is crazy. Instead they sent in the punter, who punted into the endzone leaving a net yardage of 20 yards from the original line of scrimmage. They played to lose, instead to win. Sad they where the best team on that day. Just my opinion! :cool: pf

20dawgz05
01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
all i know is that i was yellin at the TV... grrrrrr they were my pick to win the super bowl!!! :mad:

Leopards,class of 75
01-12-2004, 10:23 PM
The Rams did the same thing the Packers did kinda. The Rams played for a tie to send it into overtime instead of trying to throw it in the endzone to win it.

next generation
01-12-2004, 10:31 PM
It's a shoulda woulda coulda situation. He shoulda but he didn't. If he woulda the outcome could probably be different and he coulda been in the NFC Championship Game.

sahen
01-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Phil C:
There was about two minutes and they were in Eagle territory and had fourth and less than a yard to go and their running game had been killing the Eagles all day long and could have probably easily gotten the first down and then ate up most of the remaining time. Instead they tried to draw the Eagles offside and got penalized and had to kick and then the Eagles got the tie and won in overtime. Why?my take is....they probably didnt go for it because earlier in the game when they went for it w/ 4th and 1 on teh 1 yard line instead of kicking a field goal they didnt make it....so maybe they had flash backs or something on the sidelines and didnt wanna give the eagles the ball only 30 yards away from field goal range...

lobo12
01-13-2004, 05:27 PM
they didnt go for it and they got beat, if they would have gone for it and missed it there would be a post saying why didnt the packers punt it.

Phil C
01-14-2004, 09:25 AM
You are absolutely right Lobo but they didn't go for it so that is life - you are going to be second guessed and that is part of the game. Even the tv game comentators thought they should have gone for it even before the play.