View Full Version : The Best Running Back in 3A

Milk That Cow
12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
I've Seen These Guys Play:

Dexter Pratt - Navasota

Dwight Smith - Carthage

Chris Parr - LaVega

Chris Whaley - Madisonville

The Best of the Best is definitely Dwight Smith from Carthage...

but, that's just my humble opinion...

coach
12-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow

Dexter Pratt - Navasota

Dwight Smith - Carthage

Chris Parr - LaVega

you are correct my friend he is dmned good

headhunter
12-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I will agree with that list though I have not seen all play I have seen video on them and Chris Whaley would be at the top of my list.

Although I might think Chris Parr would be the most successful at the next level depending on how he is used.

Does anyone know where these kids are committed too?

Pratt = LSU

I am not sure if the rest are 100% committed

Dieselsmoke
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Dwight Smith- wants USC, heavily recuited by Utah
5' 10" 220 lbs, timed at USC camp at 4:39 w/laser
Best back in 3A

mistanice
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
Dwight Smith- wants USC, heavily recuited by Utah
5' 10" 220 lbs, timed at USC camp at 4:39 w/laser
Best back in 3A

Been hearing he will have to play JUCO before he can join a D1 school due to grades. You are right about Utah though. Good luck to this young man.

Electus Unus
12-15-2008, 01:01 AM
I say Whaley only because he was the only thing his team had. His offensive line was atrocious and they had no other weapons on offense. Even though his team was that bad he rushed for 1900 yards, 24 touchdowns, and averaged over 10 yards a carry in just ten games.

JR2004
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I have not seen Dwight Smith this year so I can't comment on him.

I saw enough clips of Whaley to say he's the best RB this year in 3A.

I saw Parr last year against WO-S and watched him twice this year in the playoffs and I also saw Pratt as well.

With that said our back at Madison, Reggie Peagram, is better than Parr or Pratt (I'm real big on Parr by the way as a RB and feel Pratt might be a heck of a LB at LSU.) and it's not close. If Peagram played for any of the top teams in the state such as Gilmer, WO-S, Celina, Wylie, Liberty Hill, Cuero etc... y'all would be tired of hearing them talk about how good he is. We had a pretty good back for four years named Shawnbrey McNeal and had he and Peagram been on the same team, Shawnbrey would've been the 2nd best back on the team and probably would've had to play some slot receiver to be able to get the ball. I don't know that Madison has ever quite had a back like what we have in Peagram. We've had plenty of speed at RB, but never one that has speed as well as size and power to go along with it.

Am I glad Peagram plays for us and still has one more year to go? You bet Iam, but he would probably be better served playing for someone like Allen, SLC, Trinity (If they had him they'd still be playing right now), Hebron or other schools like that where he would be getting far more exposure than he's going to get playing for us.

coachkiss
12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by JR2004

I saw Parr last year against WO-S and watched him twice this year in the playoffs and I also saw Pratt as well.

With that said our back at Madison, Reggie Peagram, is better than Parr or Pratt (I'm real big on Parr by the way as a RB and feel Pratt might be a heck of a LB at LSU.) and it's not close. If Peagram played for any of the top teams in the state such as Gilmer, WO-S, Celina, Wylie, Liberty Hill, Cuero etc... y'all would be tired of hearing them talk about how good he is. We had a pretty good back for four years named Shawnbrey McNeal and had he and Peagram been on the same team, Shawnbrey would've been the 2nd best back on the team and probably would've had to play some slot receiver to be able to get the ball. I don't know that Madison has ever quite had a back like what we have in Peagram. We've had plenty of speed at RB, but never one that has speed as well as size and power to go along with it.

Am I glad Peagram plays for us and still has one more year to go? You bet Iam, but he would probably be better served playing for someone like Allen, SLC, Trinity (If they had him they'd still be playing right now), Hebron or other schools like that where he would be getting far more exposure than he's going to get playing for us.

I've heard you mention this a couple of times, JR, and it piques my interest about him. I wish that situations were different for kids sometimes. I also wish that this kid would move into Celina's district.

coachkiss
12-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by JR2004

I've heard you mention this a couple of times, JR, and it piques my interest about him. I wish that situations were different for kids sometimes. I also wish that this kid would move into Celina's district.

nationalpastime
12-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Whaley's committed to Texas and he rushed for 1900 yards in 9 games. Pratt's going to LSU and from the rumor mill there's a chance they both might make a transition to defense.

N4SIR
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JR2004
[B]I have not seen Dwight Smith this year so I can't comment on him.

Do yourself a favor -- come to the game Friday night and witness first hand what a complete package Dwight Smith is. I think you might just change your mind on who the best running back in 3A is.

Also, Matthew Tucker from Chapel Hill should be on the list.

Brutus 1
12-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Seen all 4 this year. Saw the Carthage RB saturday. He is by far at the top of the class!

Aesculus gilmus
12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I know we can't link to it, but there is a podcast on Smoaky of a 13-minute interview David Smoak did with Dwight Smith on Dec. 4. He sounded pretty intelligent, so I can't help but think this lack of credits has to do with his move to California and back.

I also am guessing it's possible he moved out there not only to live with his dad, but also so he could be closer to his favorite program, USC. It was clear from the interview that Dwight has idolized the Trojans since childhood.

Dogman_1969
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Saw Parr, Pratt, Whaley & Smith play this year and Smith is by far the best in my opinion.

I also heard from a Carthage contact that he will have to go Juco due to academics.......

BuckeyeNut
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Smith is the Best Running Back in 3A hands down.

navscanmaster
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I have to stick up for Pratt. He is one of the best in 3A without a doubt, but having not seen Smith or Peagram play, I can not say he is the best. I can give you this much insight about Pratt from seeing him play in 30 or so games the last few years.

He was not the only weapon Navasota had by far. He got a lot of his 2050 yards in 2007 by running out of the I formation, which was not used more than 10 plays all year long in 2008. This year, with great receivers around him, and a quarterback that was way under the radar, he was more of a decoy to open up the passing game. He still averaged 8 yards per carry this year, which is stellar if you had to see all the no gains he had when 9 in the box came his way. He was also deadly on screens and wheel routes, as he and BJ had collegiate capable hands in the passing game. He also played linebacker much more on defense, more so in big games (Caldwell, Rockdale, Cameron, La Vega). At this time, he is still being more so recruited as a rusher than a defender at LSU. He is a good kid as well, and makes the grades he needs to stay DI.

I have seen Parr play, and he is a hard downhill runner, but can run outside as well. I didn't get to see him as a receiver, unfortunately. I think he is top notch back, as he gets his yards even when you know what is coming. The La Vega offensive line deserves some credit for Parr as well. No back can get his yards without a decent line, ask Whaley. Whaley is probably the most explosive back in the state. He has unbelievable acceleration, and if he can get his speed out of the backfield, chances are that he is GONE. Whaley and Pratt both have the size that DI programs are looking for at running back.

Bottom line, without having seen all these guys play in a few games each, there is no way we can knowingly say who is the best. Everything on the board is homerized a little anyhow, whether said player is on your team/district or beat your team at some point. Sorry I could not give any more insight on Smith or Peagram.

martwayne
12-15-2008, 11:22 PM
your right i'm going dexter pratt because i love my rattlers, but just look at last year and this year what pratt did thats another reason i say pratt

Go_Wylie2000
12-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I haven't seen any of them but from little films i've seem i'd say Smith but his academics aren't great/

coachc45
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Smith is an absolute BEAST!!!! Too bad for him, but I hear his test scores were pretty low also. Hopefully he can everything worked out at a JUCO and we can see him on Saturdays in a couple of years.

87 TIGER
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
We played against Pratt, Smith, and Whaley this year IMO Smith is the better RB, Pratt is a great RB that can also block and is a great team player. I was not impressed with Whaley at all. We have played him for three years in a row, I sure hope Texas knows what they are doing.
Smith is just wow!

OldBison75
12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I have not seen Smith play so I can't comment on him. I have seen Whaley and Pratt numerous times and believe Pratt is the better of the two. The thing about Whaley is that he is a great runner with super breakaway speed and runs strong. He is best on the edges and dosen't run the middle of the field in traffic that well. However, he has had injury problems and has seemed to take plays off during the game.

Pratt on the other hand is the consumate team player. Being a division 1 recruit and so-called team star, he had no problem playing the role of decoy when needed for the last two years. He blocks well and catches passes out of the backfield and downfield better than most high school backs. He is a great runner in the tough area between the tackles and can run in the broken field better than any back I saw this year. He is also a super student that has graduated at mid-term and enroilled at LSU in the Spring to start Spring Practice. He has above average grades and good work ethic. Pratt will also play defense and is capable of being a pretty good LB in the next level. There has been talk of him being recruited for defense, but I understand that the LSU staff has planned on him being there for the spring practices to have him ready for running back duties necxt season. He is also friends with the currrent QB at LSU, Jarrett Lee, from nearby Brenham.

Based on numbers and what I have been told of Smith, he is a top back in any program. He runs strong and has the ability to make people miss and seldom goes down on ititial contact. He might be the best, but I'll have to reserve judgement since I did not see him in person.

buff4ever
12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Smith, hands down.

OrangeChamps
12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Haven't seen any in person. I'll let you know Saturday.

Milk That Cow
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Dexter Pratt - Navasota

Dwight Smith - Carthage

Chris Parr - LaVega

Dwight Smith Might Be The Best Running Back In 3A This Decade....

RPF2666
12-20-2008, 11:35 AM
He is REAL GOOD...and would be good behind any decent line, but the guys in front of him made it happen...

Electus Unus
12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Dwight Smith Might Be The Best Running Back In 3A This Decade.... Does Brock Fitzhenry count as a runningback?

Emerson1
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
He is REAL GOOD...and would be good behind any decent line, but the guys in front of him made it happen...
You could pick out 5 random people from the downlow to black for him and he would have still ran all over everyone

Lion_Addict
12-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You could pick out 5 random people from the downlow to black for him and he would have still ran all over everyone

Maybe "block" for him......... :D. The kid is definately a STUD and impressive!!! I'd give him my vote after what I saw last night :eek: .

RPF2666
12-20-2008, 12:08 PM
You could say the same thing about putting 5 random people behind that line....

bp80884
12-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris Parr? I hope he proves me wrong, but i don't think so. Too many outside factors are pulling him down. He had a great playoff run, but keep in mind he had not played 1 football game in nearly a year. He did not have to go through the regular season and get beat up. Additionally, when he did come back, he had Chad Ward to take some of the spotlight off of him as well as fresh legs. As a feature back by himself, I don't think he would be that strong. (as a side note, last year he has his brother Kourtney)

I saw Pratt play this year and in the game they lost against La Vega I do not think he got his due. If they would have pounded that ball to with him, La Vega would not have won that game. As it was, they had too many interceptions and it cost them the game in OT.

Emerson1
12-20-2008, 01:19 PM
You could say the same thing about putting 5 random people behind that line....
Celina's line looked better than Carthage's. The Celina running backs are untouched until they reach the second level

RPF2666
12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
And Smith was more or less untouched on his 3 biggest plays...You aren't giving Carthage's line nearly enough credit.

Celina's strength all year was our linebackers and they were taken out of the game by the O-line.

eagles_victory
12-20-2008, 01:35 PM
And Smith was more or less untouched on his 3 biggest plays...You aren't giving Carthage's line nearly enough credit.

Celina's strength all year was our linebackers and they were taken out of the game by the O-line. Not on that one where he stiff armed that kid to the ground on 4th down and on that 90 yarder he was untouched because he out ran every angle.

RPF2666
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Never mind, you know everything...I defer...

Milk That Cow
12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I didnt realize that Dexter Pratt and Chris Whaley are so highly thought of...

Dexter is #8 and Chris #9(and 1-2 in the state) in the entire Country...

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=11&yr=2009

Rocket Dad
12-20-2008, 07:12 PM
#27 Troy M. from Celina may be the best 3A running back I've seen in a while. Wait, I know he will not be big time on the next level ... but I'm saying high school RB. He sets up his blocks, spins, fights through tackles, leaps, always plays with his pads forward and keeps his shoulders square along with great feet and knee drive. He is the true definition of a tough, hard-nosed high school running back. He has been a pleasure to watch. Good luck Troy in whatever you take on.

Pick6
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
#27 Troy M. from Celina may be the best 3A running back I've seen in a while. Wait, I know he will not be big time on the next level ... but I'm saying high school RB. He sets up his blocks, spins, fights through tackles, leaps, always plays with his pads forward and keeps his shoulders square along with great feet and knee drive. He is the true definition of a tough, hard-nosed high school running back. He has been a pleasure to watch. Good luck Troy in whatever you take on.

Agree 100%. Troy isn't the biggest or fastest RB in the state. He makes up for that with a good football mind. He seems to always make the right cut or the right spin at the right time. He had alot of yards this year sharing the backfield with another RB and a running QB. Good luck in baseball TM.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2008, 07:36 PM
NM

Orange Defense
12-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Dexter Pratt - Navasota

Dwight Smith - Carthage

Chris Parr - LaVega

I haven't seen all these RB's but I'll tell you Dwight Smith is awful good!!! He ran at will last night. He beat Celina single handidly last night...IMO

navscanmaster
12-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I would like to see Whaley running behind that Carthage offensive line. He would be knocking on 3500+ yards with 16 games to play.

LHdog
12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
No contest, Dwight Smith is the stud. He has size, speed and runs with determination. He was the best back Liberty Hill faced in 2007 and Carthage was the best team the Panthers beat on the way to the Division 1 title.

LH Panther Mom
12-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by LHdog
No contest, Dwight Smith is the stud. He has size, speed and runs with determination. He was the best back Liberty Hill faced in 2007 and Carthage was the best team the Panthers beat on the way to the Division 1 title.
:doh: He was playing in California in 2007.

bobcat1
12-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: He was playing in California in 2007. http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8350/newlaughqh2.gif http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8350/newlaughqh2.gif http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8350/newlaughqh2.gif

LHdog
12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
My bad. It was Jarvin Robinson the Carthage RB in 2007 not Smith.

Electus Unus
12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I would like to see Whaley running behind that Carthage offensive line. He would be knocking on 3500+ yards with 16 games to play. 2500+ yards and 30+ touchdowns for sure!

WylieBulldog92
12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Can anyone post highlights of these players? I have yet to see any of the three main ones we're talking about play

navscanmaster
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Can anyone post highlights of these players? I have yet to see any of the three main ones we're talking about play

Dexter Pratt - #22 Navasota (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vamXNsxiOmA)

orange machine
12-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Pratt is a good runner, but he is not in the same zip code as Smith. I would say Smith is in the top 5 best running backs in the state in all classifications.

navscanmaster
12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Pratt is a good runner, but he is not in the same zip code as Smith. I would say Smith is in the top 5 best running backs in the state in all classifications.
Well, you are right. Carthage is in a different zip code than Navasota, so you nailed that one. :rolleyes:

Pratt is more than a "runner", but you would have to attend a Rattler game to know that.

bigwood33
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
All right, I'm not from Celina but have seen Charley Waldrep (injured most of this year) and Troy McCartney play for the last 3 years. Although neither of them can match Smith, Whaley, or Pratt's athleticism and neither of them will be totin' the mail for a D1 school, they are both GREAT high school players. Much like great college players don't always make NFL players, these 2 are incredibly special. They have played 48 games the last 3 years, playing in the last 3 state championship games. Although I do not have their career stats (I am sure someone from Celina can help) their numbers are staggering. I promise no one, I mean no one, ran harder than these 2. For 2 years Waldrep got the lion's share of the carries and glory but this year he was hurt. McCartney ran over, around, past people, caught passes and threw them too. He was unbelievable. I contend that these 2 are and have been the best "high school" running backs in the state. They are winners.

RPF2666
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Well said...and maybe the thing that made the whole thing work was both of their ability and willingness to block for one another, and anyone else for that matter.

They will be sorely missed in Celina as ballplayers and as men!

pirate4state
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Pratt is a good runner, but he is not in the same zip code as Smith. I would say Smith is in the top 5 best running backs in the state in all classifications. wow just the other night in the chat room you weren't impressed with him. make up your mind!

bigwood33
12-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Well said...and maybe the thing that made the whole thing work was both of their ability and willingness to block for one another, and anyone else for that matter.

They will be sorely missed in Celina as ballplayers and as men!

Well, they are pretty handy baseball players too, so they aren't quite finished yet.
I wish someone from Celina would post their varsity stats.

OldBison75
12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
The thing that makes Pratt special is that he got his stats and yardage in an offense that was a true spread. He almost never had a lead blocker and ran behind an average offensive line at best. The other quality you won't see in Smith is Pratt;s ability to block like a pulling guard and his downfield execution as a blocker and pass receiver. Pratt caught quite a few passes over his high school career and was outstanding as a receiver. He had the second best hands on the team behind Jackson ( a division 1 receiver). Pratt has the power to run inside for tough yards and the speed and quickness to run the corners. He is one of the best broken field runners you will see.

I think that behind the Catrthage line, Pratt may have gained 2500 yards. He faced 9 in the box most of the year and averaged 8 or more yards per carry. How many people carry the ball less than 200 times in a season and gain around 1500 yards?

Whaley is an excellent back but has not had the offensive line to shine like he should. They had no other weapons and he was keyed on all the time. He will be a saturday afternoon star in the Texas systems though.

Parr is a tough runner that runs hard from the first step to the tackle. He is hard to tackle and very determined. He is a downhill runner that dosen't try to juke and cut much. He was also helped by a strong offensive line and alot of other weapons that kept teams from totally selling out to stop him.

I did not see Smith in person, but I saw tapes and believe he will be a great college back because of his speed and field vision. He moves in traffic as good as anyone I've seen lately. He reminds me of the same type back as Adrian Peterson in high school. Great first step and explosive. He had the best line in 3A in front of him and like was said by someone else, I think I could have gained 1000 yards behind that line and I'm a old man with bad lungs.

I rank them as:

Pratt
Smith
Whaley
Parr

navscanmaster
12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
wow just the other night in the chat room you weren't impressed with him. make up your mind!

You know how it is on here. The guy that beats you simply had to be the best, otherwise they couldn't have even been worthy of being on the same field as your team. I don't fall into that. Parr beat us, but I won't even kid myself into thinking he was the best or one of the best in the state.

Bull's-eye
12-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
The thing that makes Pratt special is that he got his stats and yardage in an offense that was a true spread.

I think that behind the Catrthage line, Pratt may have gained 2500 yards. He faced 9 in the box most of the year and averaged 8 or more yards per carry.

Question: If Navasota is running a true spread formation, how is Pratt facing 9 men in the box? Wouldn't the opposing defenses have to leave at least 2 receivers uncovered? :thinking:

navscanmaster
12-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Question: If Navasota is running a true spread formation, how is Pratt facing 9 men in the box? Wouldn't the opposing defenses have to leave at least 2 receivers uncovered? :thinking:
It is actually very possible, and happened all year long. Two corners would cover our X and Y receivers, and the safeties would creep up to almost linebacker depth to cover Z or the fourth receiver. Our fullback only came in on a few plays, otherwise it was 4 receivers every down. The linebackers always committed to the run, so 7 in the box was assured every down if we showed run at the snap. We ran options and traps half the time, and when we showed that, the safeties would crash in, making it nine. If you watched a Navasota game film, you would be amazed at how little respect opponents had for a passing game that gained 225 yards a game. That is what 2054 yards as a junior will do for your opponents' game plans. We were not the best team in the state at any point, although I believe on our day, we could compete with anybody we lined up against. Dexter Pratt was the best player on the team for two years in a row, and he will be missed sorely. I think his class of seniors has really raised the expectations, both on and off the field, for Rattler football teams to come. They have a taste of success and have played against some of the best programs in the state in recent years (Jasper, LH, La Vega, Bellville, Giddings, Cameron.)

Plus, Dexter has rubbed off on a kid that has his side and speed who was only a sophomore this year.;)

rolltider
12-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
The thing that makes Pratt special is that he got his stats and yardage in an offense that was a true spread. He almost never had a lead blocker and ran behind an average offensive line at best. The other quality you won't see in Smith is Pratt;s ability to block like a pulling guard and his downfield execution as a blocker and pass receiver. Pratt caught quite a few passes over his high school career and was outstanding as a receiver. He had the second best hands on the team behind Jackson ( a division 1 receiver). Pratt has the power to run inside for tough yards and the speed and quickness to run the corners. He is one of the best broken field runners you will see.

I think that behind the Catrthage line, Pratt may have gained 2500 yards. He faced 9 in the box most of the year and averaged 8 or more yards per carry. How many people carry the ball less than 200 times in a season and gain around 1500 yards?

Whaley is an excellent back but has not had the offensive line to shine like he should. They had no other weapons and he was keyed on all the time. He will be a saturday afternoon star in the Texas systems though.

Parr is a tough runner that runs hard from the first step to the tackle. He is hard to tackle and very determined. He is a downhill runner that dosen't try to juke and cut much. He was also helped by a strong offensive line and alot of other weapons that kept teams from totally selling out to stop him.

I did not see Smith in person, but I saw tapes and believe he will be a great college back because of his speed and field vision. He moves in traffic as good as anyone I've seen lately. He reminds me of the same type back as Adrian Peterson in high school. Great first step and explosive. He had the best line in 3A in front of him and like was said by someone else, I think I could have gained 1000 yards behind that line and I'm a old man with bad lungs.

I rank them as:

Pratt
Smith
Whaley
Parr

I think one has been left out:

Bryan Monroe - Prosper

Monroe had close to 1500 yards on very few carries compared to most; he was sharing carries with the Prosper QB (Hunter Nix / 9-3A MVP). Bryan is the guy who could of went over 2K yards easy. Great runner and a great team player.

navscanmaster
12-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by rolltider

Bryan Monroe - Prosper

Monroe had close to 1500 yards on very few carries compared to most; he was sharing carries with the Prosper QB (Hunter Nix / 9-3A MVP). Bryan is the guy who could of went over 2K yards easy. Great runner and a great team player.

You are right. Most of us on this board probably had never heard of him. Those are good numbers, I would have liked to have seen him and the Eagles this year.

kobe24
12-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by rolltider

Bryan Monroe - Prosper

Yep i would add him in there to, very underrated player.

eagles_victory
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
You know how it is on here. The guy that beats you simply had to be the best, otherwise they couldn't have even been worthy of being on the same field as your team. I don't fall into that. Parr beat us, but I won't even kid myself into thinking he was the best or one of the best in the state. Whats worse that or the my guy is automatically the best in the state attitude?

Eagle1
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
A good central Texas back that you guys will be hearing alot about the next few years is the Gentry kid from Mexia. I have heard several people comment on how good he is and he is just a Soph. from what I hear.

N4SIR
12-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with you on the Mexia running back. He looked really good against the Buckeyes this year in the playoff game that Mexia lost. He ran at will against the Buckeyes in the second half.

navscanmaster
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Whats worse that or the my guy is automatically the best in the state attitude?

If that is directed at me, then I might remind you that I presented observations about a few backs, and only the ones that I have seen. I can't honestly give an opinion of who the best back in the state is because I have not been able to see all of the candidates play. I can only speak for those I have seen. If that is not directed at me, I would have to say that there is always homerism when one of the good ones is on your team. I am more annoyed when a player gashes an elite squad, and all of a sudden the guy that they were going to "shut down, no questions asked" is the best thing on two feet to ever set foot on a playing field. I'll give the guy his props, but I myself don't crown them King of RB's.

navscanmaster
12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by N4SIR
I agree with you on the Mexia running back. He looked really good against the Buckeyes this year in the playoff game that Mexia lost. He ran at will against the Buckeyes in the second half. I don't know if it was Gentry that we saw, but I recall Mexia having a good back in their scrimmage against us earlier this year. I have read how he kept outdoing himself week to week, and he finished with some great numbers for a sophomore. I wouldn't want to have to account for him in a game plan the next two years.

crabman
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
How many people carry the ball less than 200 times in a season and gain around 1500 yards?

Trent Jackson - FRESHMAN 114 carries - 1436 yards in just over six games. Three games he played limited backup because, well, he was a freshman. Lost one game due to Ike. Lost three playoff games to a pulled groin. 104 yards against LaVega in the Semi-final.