PDA

View Full Version : LH vs Celina Review

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I listened to the complete game, and it sounded like LH never had a chance in this one. What happened? Was it more that Celina is just THAT good, or was it that LH played terribly? Or a bit of both? I dont think there was a turn over all night by either team, right?

I take it from the results that the battle in the trenches was obviously won by Celina...on both sides of the ball. But what did they do differently to put such a stop on LH's well oiled offensive machine? And what did they do differently to dominate the stiff LH defense?

Necks_Fan
12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Where are there like 17,000 of LH/Celina threads?

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Where are there like 17,000 of LH/Celina threads?

Huh?

RPF2666
12-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I listened to the complete game, and it sounded like LH never had a chance in this one. What happened? Was it more that Celina is just THAT good, or was it that LH played terribly? Or a bit of both? I dont think there was a turn over all night by either team, right?

I take it from the results that the battle in the trenches was obviously won by Celina...on both sides of the ball. But what did they do differently to put such a stop on LH's well oiled offensive machine? And what did they do differently to dominate the stiff LH defense?

TEAM FOOTBALL!

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
TEAM FOOTBALL!

That doesnt help me much...LH plays team football too.

bobcat1
12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
That doesnt help me much...LH plays team football too. Our "weak" defensive line . We made one mistake and Fickel took it to the house on a long run and then they scored on our 2nds late in the game. That weak line includes Brock Babb and Brady Newman. Both had terrific games but for just a sophomore Newman is becoming a beast as was another #52 we had last year. You go Brady Boy!

Looking4number8
12-14-2008, 11:38 AM

I went to the game and the way I saw it was Celina was very prepared and played 100% mistake free and very smart football.

They main example I can give you is Celinas first series of the second half. LH held them to 4th and 8 deep in their own territory and Celina lined up to punt. Looked like LH was gonna have awesome field position. LH jumped offsides and made it 4th and 3. Celina starts to punt again but again, LH jumps offsides. The punter sees this and while LH players appear to be stressing about giving them a 1st down, the punter makes what I thought was the smartest play of the day and ran on a free play for about 50 yards. Celina went on to score a TD (as they did every time they had the ball). Personally I am thinking that was the nail in the coffin.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Did Celina get flagged any at all? I dont recall. They sounded damned near perfect in nearly every category.

marler1972
12-14-2008, 11:44 AM
2-15 yrds

Looking4number8
12-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
2-15 yrds

And I think both were very early in the game

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
2-15 yrds

Wow...impressive. You gotta give it to the Celina coaches...it sounds like they not only had a great game plan that no other team in the last 2+ years could execute, but they also had their boys keep their heads in the game. Very impressive indeed.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Looking4...so LH under-performed in a huge way (as compared to recent games)? Is that your take-a-way?

Daddy D 11
12-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Looking4...so LH under-performed in a huge way (as compared to recent games)? Is that your take-a-way?

Big time. But Celina forced alot of our mistakes too. I feel like we didn't underperform on defense, we just could smoked. And on offense, I think we self destructed. We panicked way too early. But oh well, it's all water under the bridge right?

Looking4number8
12-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Big time. But Celina forced alot of our mistakes too. I feel like we didn't underperform on defense, we just could smoked. And on offense, I think we self destructed. We panicked way too early. But oh well, it's all water under the bridge right?

Everybody has there own opinion and I am not sure how much my opinion counts for but.... I had seen LH play twice this year (aginst Bwd and Sweetwater). I did not think LH under played, I just thought Celina played very very well, especially on defense. I was surprised as I expected LH to roll.

Celina on offense just made the plays on every series. Not one big play (except on the punt) but they just ground out play after play and it was successful.

The score may have been 40 - 12 but Celina had to earn the win. LH played hard nosed football on every play.

MN95
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I subtly reminded everyone early in the week that our D held LH's offense to 22 points in 06. No other team held them that low since. Our coaching staff obviously built on that for last nights game.

Then, LH's highly touted run defense couldn't stop the run. Game over.

bobcat1
12-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

The score may have been 40 - 12 but Celina had to earn the win. LH played hard nosed football on every play. Absolutely correct! It wasn't given to us. I promise our boys are sore. They know they were in a fight. The Panthers never quit down to the last tick of the clock. :clap: :clap: :clap:

block&tackle
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
There really wasn't that much difference in this game and '06. In '06 LH's TDs came off of 3 big plays and last night they just had the 1. Other than that LH could not sustain their patented clock-eating drives in either game. Offensively Celina actually had more yards in '06 - they just didn't execute in the red-zone (4-5 trips inside the 20 with 0 points to show). Last night Celina had 6 posessions with 6 TDs to show for them.

LH is a team that makes few mistakes and capitalize on the mistakes of others. Everyone watching them on film says "we will beat these guys - they don't look that good". 2-3 mistakes later and you are down by a couple of TDs and things start to snow-ball. Last night there were no turn-overs and relatively few penalties. Celina played mistake free and Caleb Lavey and crew dominated LH's offense. LH couldn't account for Worrell when he rolled out to pass and he torched them with his arm or his legs. LH looked like they used Lattimore to spy McCartney and it left a lot of other folks free. Plus McCartney still rushed for 150 yards and a TD as well as one TD catch and another passing.

LH lines up and says "this is what we are doing - stop us if you can." Celina did. When Celina has the ball they can get you so many different ways and LH couldn't account for hardly any of them. Bottom line is that Celina didn't make any mistakes and man-to-man they were the better team.

Side note - I have tremendous respect for both of these teams. LH racked up 2 state championships and 38 straight wins playing football the way that it is supposed to be played - well-coached, disciplined, physical, hard-nosed football, born in the weight rooms in the Spring and practice fields in August wth dedicated and committed kids. Celina will be going for their 9th state championship Friday playing the same kind of ball. These were two epic programs playing old-school football. I am privelidged to have witnessed this game!

bobcat1
12-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Correction 6 TD's.

MN95
12-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
There really wasn't that much difference in this game and '06. In '06 LH's TDs came off of 3 big plays and last night they just had the 1. Other than that LH could not sustain their patented clock-eating drives in either game. Offensively Celina actually had more yards in '06 - they just didn't execute in the red-zone (4-5 trips inside the 20 with 0 points to show). Last night Celina had 7 posessions with 7 TDs to show for them.

Good analysis here. EVERYONE has been so sure since the 06 game that LH was the better team. I was never willing to say Celina was, just questioning what proof their was that LH was. I was even chastised for bringing it up. Don't think there is much debate now.

bigdaddy
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Here's another take on the game and the Celina Program :

Celina Football is king in Celina and all the younger kids grow up playing pee wee ball under essentially the same system and not under the Celina Coaching staff but under Dads that help coach these kids and teach them sound fundamentals. All of these kids look up to the Varsity players and want to be and play like them. That's Tradition !

Then you have a Coaching staff that is the same staff who's been in place since thru most all of the State Championships won of record which is a great staff and shows solid consistency for the entire football program. This encompasses all phases of preparation and REAL COMMITMENT and Leadership on the part of the Coaching Staff that gives up most all of their time and personal time which sets an example, keeps the kids locked in and works thru injuries,adjustments and preparation prettty much seemlessly as a Team in itself.

Then you have players that step up, work hard and buy into the program and are willing to make the sacrafices necessary to be ready and prepared for a game like last night. These kids have been playing within the system for all their playing careers so every game is just another game where everyone stays grounded and plays as a Team because that's what they know.

Surely the boys need to make plays and great ones at that but with a community fully behind them and a Coaching Staff which holds and hopefully will set more records and hopefully will add one more State Championship to again exceed every other program in the Great State of Texas.

It's the Players, Coaches support in the community and a very, very unique situation that gives the game summary of last night.
All the records don't just happen by accident .

It's TRADITION and HARD WORK !!

Bobcats going for 9

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Good analysis here. EVERYONE has been so sure since the 06 game that LH was the better team. I was never willing to say Celina was, just questioning what proof their was that LH was. I was even chastised for bringing it up. Don't think there is much debate now.

Well, Celina is certainly the best team THIS year. Can't say the same for '06 and '07 though.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok...so for you guys who were there...the announcers on the radio kept talking about the LH QB being pressured from "the back side"...many times untouched. What was up with that? Is it s flaw in the LH scheme, or was it missed assignments?

bobcat1
12-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Ok...so for you guys who were there...the announcers on the radio kept talking about the LH QB being pressured from "the back side"...many times untouched. What was up with that? Is it s flaw in the LH scheme, or was it missed assignments? No missed assignments, just a disguised scheme perfectly executed by Celina. Liberty Hill does not pass block much in their usual attack I suppose and that could have contributed to it.

Necks_Fan
12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Huh? Lol. I meant WHY are there so many LH/Celina threads.

Oh well.

CelinaProud
12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, Celina is certainly the best team THIS year. Can't say the same for '06 and '07 though.

We were certainly the best team in 07 in our division and NO ONE, not us, not you, will ever know how, when or what the wash would have produced for a Celina/LH match-up cause it NEVER happened. Other than that though, we whupped some boot-a and won 8. As did LH in their division.

As for 06, like it or not, and Celina certainly did not then any more than LH does today, LH was the better team. Studly QB, fantastic RB, hidden football and last second field goals aside, LH WON THAT GAME. Fair and square. So, in 06, LH was the better team.

As for 08, Celina shut down LH again and again. Our boys came ready to win and they did just that. LH could not hold us, stop us, or catch up. Them there are the cold hard facts. In 08, Celina is the better team.

It seems to me, each school has one W, one Loss and a tie. The next match up will be the tie breaker, but boys and girls we got one heck of a rivalry going!

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Lol. I meant WHY are there so many LH/Celina threads.

Oh well.

Oh...I gotcha. I guess I started this one because the others were started before the game...or during...I wanted to get specific viewpoints in the aftermath. Delete the others!!!

Necks_Fan
12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh...I gotcha. I guess I started this one because the others were started before the game...or during...I wanted to get specific viewpoints in the aftermath. Delete the others!!! Like I said..... Oh well.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by CelinaProud
We were certainly the best team in 07 in our division and NO ONE, not us, not you, will ever know how, when or what the wash would have produced for a Celina/LH match-up cause it NEVER happened. Other than that though, we whupped some boot-a and won 8. As did LH in their division.

As for 06, like it or not, and Celina certainly did not then any more than LH does today, LH was the better team. Studly QB, fantastic RB, hidden football and last second field goals aside, LH WON THAT GAME. Fair and square. So, in 06, LH was the better team.

As for 08, Celina shut down LH again and again. Our boys came ready to win and they did just that. LH could not hold us, stop us, or catch up. Them there are the cold hard facts. In 08, Celina is the better team.

It seems to me, each school has one W, one Loss and a tie. The next match up will be the tie breaker, but boys and girls we got one heck of a rivalry going!

Celina not only ended LH's winning streak...they smashed it and stomped on it and put an exclamation point on it. So, if what I am gleaning from this thread is true, LH didnt really play badly and really didnt collapse (which would have surprised me if they had), its just that Celina absolutely dismantled them on offense, defense, special teams, play calling and general game plan. W-O-W.

Necks_Fan
12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Celina in a state title game for the 4th consecutive year... in what was supposed to be a "down" year, right?

I wish our "down" years consisted of state championship appearances.

:doh:

Congrats.

MN95
12-14-2008, 01:39 PM

I completely agree with you. LH was a last second field goal better in 06. We were WAY better last night. We'll never know about 07, but my point is, that everyone who was positive LH was better last year should at least have a little doubt now.

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I decided to make the trip to this game because of all it stood for and the sheer fact that it was Liberty Hill and Celina. Let me start with congratulating Celina for doing exactly what Celina does in big games. Especially those that have historic impact. They came out and hit harder, blocked better, and played with more emotion. I wont take away from the game and say LH came out flat. I want to make sure that Celina fans understand I cant have more respect for a program.

I will say though and I'm sure this will get many responses, that LH did not lose the game as bad as the score reflects. I personally beleive that as good as Celinas game plan was it was helped out by the OC of LH. Obviously I cant say that he is a bad play caller. 14-0 is not arguable. But he completely blew the game. Liberty hill yes only passed 7 times. Im not sure that stat would be the same if you counted how many times they TRIED to pass as well. LH dose not pass. 3 or 4 times is pushing it. It is either a TD or drive killer in the offense. If sacked, LH does not have plays designed to make up 2 and 20. They can, and do often, but its not drawn up that way. Yes Celina was having success and keeping the gains to 3 or 4 yards. But thats the idea. Thats what they want. First downs. Every time they would get a drive started, they tried to throw. I understand that with C's D up in the box and just coming, they thought they had it, but there coached better than that and with the wind and the first 5 attempts not even showing a glimpse of success, its time to sart just doing what you do. Thats when the big runs come. Drive, Drive, Drive and boom. Thats why the offense is considered unstoppable. (not last night) I know, save it. I wont even get into the first 4th and 1 on our own 20, where even though conventional wisdom says punt even into a powerful wind, we didnt go for a foot. This makes me sound rediculous but LH had gone for it in the same situation all season long. A 20 yard punt didnt hurt any worse than a 4th down stop at that point. I really wish Celina could have got the game that LH is so capable of. I felt sure we had another classic on our hands. Thats not the way I pictured the streak ending.

Let me be clear though this would have only created a shootout and made it a better game. The Defensive ends were non existent on LH's defense and that kept cutting off the ability of Lattimore. It was the worst tackling effort I have seen from an LH team as well, which might be because those backs especially 27, are probably one of the best highschool football runners I have had the pleasure of watching. At my age I have seen a few. Congrats Celina. You are the Kings of Highschool football. At least for another year.

CelinaProud
12-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Celina not only ended LH's winning streak...they smashed it and stomped on it and put an exclamation point on it. So, if what I am gleaning from this thread is true, LH didnt really play badly and really didnt collapse (which would have surprised me if they had), its just that Celina absolutely dismantled them on offense, defense, special teams, play calling and general game plan. W-O-W.

I don't know about all that WP, as much as I think it's that any-given-Sunday (Saturday as it were) mentality that shows two teams that are stellar in make and form, show up and wage war, and you just never know. I honestly went into this game expecting a barn burner. We were up by 21 at the half, and I was still nervous, as were the other fans around me...all I heard was "LH is a second half team, just like Celina, so really don't be blowing the winning horn too much."

I mean yes, Celina played darn near perfect, but LH has a proven history as well. Now last night, something was off for them, or just dead on for us, I don;t know which, but Celina played better and won,....but who can really say.

I know this, I watched our boys lose focus once at the start of the third for about 45 seconds, and LH scored, and then with a minute and a half left in the game, again the boys lost their focus, and LH scored. What this tells me is our boys had to ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, be 100% focused on the W to win this game. One little mistake and LH took us to the end zone. Last night, Celina made two of those and LH scored twice. THAT'S AMAZING to witness. Again, as close to perfect as I have ever seen.

Necks_Fan
12-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
I decided to make the trip to this game because of all it stood for and the sheer fact that it was Liberty Hill and Celina. Let me start with congratulating Celina for doing exactly what Celina does in big games. Especially those that have historic impact. They came out and hit harder, blocked better, and played with more emotion. I wont take away from the game and say LH came out flat. I want to make sure that Celina fans understand I cant have more respect for a program.

I will say though and I'm sure this will get many responses, that LH did not lose the game as bad as the score reflects. I personally beleive that as good as Celinas game plan was it was helped out by the OC of LH. Obviously I cant say that he is a bad play caller. 14-0 is not arguable. But he completely blew the game. Liberty hill yes only passed 7 times. Im not sure that stat would be the same if you counted how many times they TRIED to pass as well. LH dose not pass. 3 or 4 times is pushing it. It is either a TD or drive killer in the offense. If sacked, LH does not have plays designed to make up 2 and 20. They can, and do often, but its not drawn up that way. Yes Celina was having success and keeping the gains to 3 or 4 yards. But thats the idea. Thats what they want. First downs. Every time they would get a drive started, they tried to throw. I understand that with C's D up in the box and just coming, they thought they had it, but there coached better than that and with the wind and the first 5 attempts not even showing a glimpse of success, its time to sart just doing what you do. Thats when the big runs come. Drive, Drive, Drive and boom. Thats why the offense is considered unstoppable. (not last night) I know, save it. I wont even get into the first 4th and 1 on our own 20, where even though conventional wisdom says punt even into a powerful wind, we didnt go for a foot. This makes me sound rediculous but LH had gone for it in the same situation all season long. A 20 yard punt didnt hurt any worse than a 4th down stop at that point. I really wish Celina could have got the game that LH is so capable of. I felt sure we had another classic on our hands. Thats not the way I pictured the streak ending.

Let me be clear though this would have only created a shootout and made it a better game. The Defensive ends were non existent on LH's defense and that kept cutting off the ability of Lattimore. It was the worst tackling effort I have seen from an LH team as well, which might be because those backs especially 27, are probably one of the best highschool football runners I have had the pleasure of watching. At my age I have seen a few. Congrats Celina. You are the Kings of Highschool football. At least for another year.

Good info.

charlesrixey
12-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by CelinaProud
I don't know about all that WP, as much as I think it's that any-given-Sunday (Saturday as it were) mentality that shows two teams that are stellar in make and form, show up and wage war, and you just never know. I honestly went into this game expecting a barn burner. We were up by 21 at the half, and I was still nervous, as were the other fans around me...all I heard was "LH is a second half team, just like Celina, so really don't be blowing the winning horn too much."

I mean yes, Celina played darn near perfect, but LH has a proven history as well. Now last night, something was off for them, or just dead on for us, I don;t know which, but Celina played better and won,....but who can really say.

I know this, I watched our boys lose focus once at the start of the third for about 45 seconds, and LH scored, and then with a minute and a half left in the game, again the boys lost their focus, and LH scored. What this tells me is our boys had to ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, be 100% focused on the W to win this game. One little mistake and LH took us to the end zone. Last night, Celina made two of those and LH scored twice. THAT'S AMAZING to witness. Again, as close to perfect as I have ever seen.

agreed--celina was about as focused and intense as i've ever seen, and you could tell LH was still focused---every time there was an opening (like he said) the panthers took advantage

that is a testament to how good the panthers were, and how focused the bobcats were

OldBison75
12-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Make the analysis as simple as it really was. Celina lined up on every play and executed the game plan the coaching staff had laid out. They met every challenge and did not make mistakes. They won the game with the necessary execution that made the TEAM unstoppable. Only a few times in any given year can you say that your team was near perfect--usually for a quarter or two. Celina played that game for almost four full quarters in one game. UNBELIEVABLE--but they did it and they deserve the credit.

LH did not play that bad--They just couldn't find the answer to the Celina defense.

bigdaddy
12-14-2008, 01:59 PM
LH is a great team and has set their own records and that being said my earlier post says it all and let all the records speak for themselves.

Just being Celina Proud and just based on fact , the records and my knowledge of what I feel is the BEST Football Program consistently in the State plus my respect for a commited Coaching Staff 2nd to none speaks for itself.

Going for 9... Go Bobcats !!!!

MN95
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Make the analysis as simple as it really was. Celina lined up on every play and executed the game plan the coaching staff had laid out. They met every challenge and did not make mistakes. They won the game with the necessary execution that made the TEAM unstoppable. Only a few times in any given year can you say that your team was near perfect--usually for a quarter or two. Celina played that game for almost four full quarters in one game. UNBELIEVABLE--but they did it and they deserve the credit.

LH did not play that bad--They just couldn't find the answer to the Celina defense.

Agreed. When their are many turnovers or penalties/mistakes and you lose, it's easy to play what if. We have done that just this year. But sometimes you just get beat by a better team and it's better to just accept it than try to assign blame to the OC.

block&tackle
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
That is what I saw.

Again, LH is a great program with great kids and coaches. I would be proud to be a parent or fan of that program. Many teams have watched film and said' "They can be beat,all you have to do is...." but nobody (including us in '06) was able to execute their plan. This year's Celina team may be athletically inferior to last year's at a lot of positions but they have compensated by learning to play as a team and they did what everyone else has been unable to do.

The best thing about these two teams is that they have proven without a doubt that high school football is less about "athletes" than execution and teamwork. :thumbsup:

bigdaddy
12-14-2008, 02:01 PM
LH is a great team and has set their own records and that being said my earlier post says it all and let all the records speak for themselves.

Just being Celina Proud and just based on fact , the records and my knowledge of what I feel is the BEST Football Program consistently in the State plus my respect for a commited Coaching Staff 2nd to none speaks for itself.

Going for 9... Go Bobcats !!!!

Dieselsmoke
12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Congrats Celina. You are the Kings of Highschool football. At least for another year.

The game last night was the Championship game???

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Your right... in 38 games nobody has ever tackled well and hit hard.:rolleyes: You played great. I said that. But you did not get there best game. I know that sounds like someone who cant accept a loss but Im not biased here.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Good info Doctor...thanks. An unbiased view is always needed when trying to sort out what actually happened after listening to the radio...with LH announcers.

MN95
12-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I know that sounds like someone who cant accept a loss

I agree with you on this point.:)

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
The game last night was the Championship game???

MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN...

ronwx5x
12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I will say though and I'm sure this will get many responses, that LH did not lose the game as bad as the score reflects. I personally beleive that as good as Celinas game plan was it was helped out by the OC of LH. Obviously I cant say that he is a bad play caller. 14-0 is not arguable. But he completely blew the game. Liberty hill yes only passed 7 times.

I was not at this game but sure wish I could have been.

As far as the OC being most of the problem, is this not the same OC that called the 38 straight wins, two state championships and was hailed as having helped create the best offense 3A football has ever seen? I believe he does far more than just call plays.

LH is not a passing team. When they revert to passing it could only be explained as changing the OC's game plan. If LH were a passing team it would have come out in earlier games they barely won. Don't blame one person or one game plan. The OC does not work in a vacuum, he is part of an overall effort led by the head coach.

LH is a great team, a great bunch of people and got outplayed last night. There surely are many teams who would have liked to have been in the same position. Great season to both teams.

BobcatBenny
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Well this might help with the review. Any questions?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/BobcatBenny/GreatOrange.jpg

:D :D :D

ctown
12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Your right... in 38 games nobody has ever tackled well and hit hard.:rolleyes: You played great. I said that. But you did not get there best game. I know that sounds like someone who cant accept a loss but Im not biased here.

I see what you are trying to say but it's what most people say who thought a team would win. We have been in the habit of making teams look like they didn't give their best games for several weeks now. For some people, the only way to get their best game is a win. We could say alot more about 06 when we were in the red zone 4-5 times and didn't score. That has no precedent from any time that year to support Celina usually getting stopped inside the opponent 20, so we could say you didn't get our best game then. The truth is that great teams KEEP OTHERS FROM GIVING THEIR BEST GAME. No one can take away from LH 06 what they did to us. No one can take away what we did last night. Champions more often than not take away the opportunity for others to have a "best game".

Congrats to LH.

RPF2666
12-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Did you ever stop to think that Celina didn't get their best game because Celina took them out of their game...

#1 LH 3 and out
#2 8-0
#3 LH 3 and out
#4 15-0

Maybe their OC realized that we were going to score every time we had the ball and he was trying to make something happen...maybe!

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 04:17 PM
"As far as the OC being most of the problem, is this not the same OC that called the 38 straight wins, two state championships and was hailed as having helped create the best offense 3A football has ever seen? I believe he does far more than just call plays."

NO HE IS NOT... The man who created the streak and went 24-0 and was the OC from Vance's second year till last year. And a couple of years before the streak had an offense that rushed for the third most yards in history of highscool football. (any division in any state) That team lost in the semis as well to Jasper at Kyle Field by a TD. He was at the game. Watching not coaching. He now coaches at Rogers. (2A)

ronwx5x
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
"As far as the OC being most of the problem, is this not the same OC that called the 38 straight wins, two state championships and was hailed as having helped create the best offense 3A football has ever seen? I believe he does far more than just call plays."

NO HE IS NOT... The man who created the streak and went 24-0 and was the OC from Vance's second year till last year. And a couple of years before the streak had an offense that rushed for the third most yards in history of highscool football. (any division in any state) That team lost in the semis as well to Jasper at Kyle Field by a TD. He was at the game. Watching not coaching. He now coaches at Rogers. (2A)

And that still does not prove your point about the current OC. Again, he is only one of several on the staff who make decisions. I don't really believe the previous OC can be credited with "creating the streak" if he was not there this year. Rogers did well this year but no "streak" going.

I am no expert on HS football, but I believe there were more parts to LH's success than the DC, OC or even HC. Maybe a synergy to all of them along with talent and desire.

OldBison75
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
It is no one person on the coaching staff or team that created this outcome. Liberty Hill did not do what they are known for and aloth of that was the result of the way Celina played. None of us on this thread can honestly say that LH failed because a coach or player made bad decisions. Celina dominated and that is what champions do. LH was outmatched by the total team effort of the Bobcats and that is an undisputable fact.

THE END OF THE STORY!!!!

ronwx5x
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
It is no one person on the coaching staff or team that created this outcome. Liberty Hill did not do what they are known for and aloth of that was the result of the way Celina played. None of us on this thread can honestly say that LH failed because a coach or player made bad decisions. Celina dominated and that is what champions do. LH was outmatched by the total team effort of the Bobcats and that is an undisputable fact.

THE END OF THE STORY!!!! :iagree:

You said it better than me! How's that grandbaby OldBison?

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Are you seriously throwing him under the bus? The team last night found themselves in the same position as we were in 2005 against Cuero. The ONLY difference is trying to make up for the loss of Kociuba, in '05. I don't recall any of the same type comments on here about Walker. :thinking:

There's no blame to be placed. SOMETIMES you just get beat, plain & simple.

BobcatBenny
12-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Are you seriously throwing him under the bus? The team last night found themselves in the same position as we were in 2005 against Cuero. The ONLY difference is trying to make up for the loss of Kociuba, in '05. I don't recall any of the same type comments on here about Walker. :thinking:

Glad you un-suspended yourself. ;)

I met a few of your fans at a Campuzano's Restaurant before the game. They were really nice folk.

Are you and your family going to come to the game this Friday?

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Are you and your family going to come to the game this Friday?
I'm not certain we will be able to make it. My husband & youngest son have to leave for Boy Scout camp Saturday. Since we're no longer playing :( , most likely we'll be getting stuff ready for them to go. Of course, it will depend on the middle son. If he asks, it might be good for him. :)

bobcat1
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not certain we will be able to make it. My husband & youngest son have to leave for Boy Scout camp Saturday. Since we're no longer playing :( , most likely we'll be getting stuff ready for them to go. Of course, it will depend on the middle son. If he asks, it might be good for him. :) You can set with our gang if you come up. Let me know.

alaskacat
12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I am not going to knock anyone or anything, but just comment on what I saw.

After the first two possessions and Celina was up 15, it almost forced LH to put the hurry up on scoring as their system isn't designed for come from behind efforts. Especially when the opponent is taking huge chunks off the clock and playes dynamite defense.

When it became 21-0 the situation became a bit more urgent, and it put them in a very uncomfortable position.

When LH scored their TD it breathed a little life back into them

The tipped pass that resulted in a 34-6 lead literally broke their back. Then they were put into Having to play catchup and to do it quickly and that they needed to pass, which took them completely out of their game plan. To knock the OC is a pretty cheap shot. He had to gamble to even have a shot at closing the gap

The Celina D had a bunch to do with it also, and LH complete inability to stop the run made it possible for Celina to have its way with anything they wanted to do.

LH's players played a tough hard nosed game to the end, but most of the game were forced to play far outside their comfort zone. Give credit where Credit is due, the Celina Offense and Defense, Special Teams dominated every aspect of the game.

If we had to play it again, and afew breaks went the other way at key times...it could have been a barn burner.

Good luck to the Cats this next week in the historical last Highschool football game to be played in Texas Stadium and hopefully bring home the 9 in time..

Congrats to the LH panthers and fans to the end of an era and hopefully next year will bring forth the beginning of another run at history. and a meeting again in the 2nd week of December.

Good Luck and stay safe.

THE DOCTOR
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
There's no blame to be placed. SOMETIMES you just get beat, plain & simple. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just call it like I see it. The 05' team that lossed to cuero was shredded with injuries. Escamilla was hurt as well not to mention the defense was as bad as it had been in a while. Perrin was also on crutches. Bode was not a quarterback.

But regardless of the past I just feel that theres a difference in getting dominated and losing a game that was let to get away. Ive seen beatings. Where a team has no chance because there superior or they play so badly they dont deserve it. I felt that on gameday these kids always came to play. Sadly I personally feel there is always someone to blame. Its cold hearted but when you can do something about it ( not like when demarcus ware is lined up across from you) its a crying shame to lose like that. The kids deserved more. If I had made the same decisions I would expect the same complaints. I understand what the man or the staff was thinking and its easy in the stands to call plays. But, in big games you cannot lose your identity. You cannot bend to there will. LH boys played to good a football for a long time to go out and make it easy for Celina. For example... why did it take till the second half to call the Qb follow play? Just little things..... But back to what I said in my first post. They hit harder and blocked better and played smarter ( punter realizing it was a free play) etc. They won the game. They did what they do in big games. They earned it. I just wish LH had shown what had won them those 38 games and not tried to be something else. Cant wait to see a rematch

hookandladder
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM

I just call it like I see it. The 05' team that lossed to cuero was shredded with injuries. Escamilla was hurt as well not to mention the defense was as bad as it had been in a while. Perrin was also on crutches. Bode was not a quarterback.

But regardless of the past I just feel that theres a difference in getting dominated and losing a game that was let to get away. Ive seen beatings. Where a team has no chance because there superior or they play so badly they dont deserve it. I felt that on gameday these kids always came to play. Sadly I personally feel there is always someone to blame. Its cold hearted but when you can do something about it ( not like when demarcus ware is lined up across from you) its a crying shame to lose like that. The kids deserved more. If I had made the same decisions I would expect the same complaints. I understand what the man or the staff was thinking and its easy in the stands to call plays. But, in big games you cannot lose your identity. You cannot bend to there will. LH boys played to good a football for a long time to go out and make it easy for Celina. For example... why did it take till the second half to call the Qb follow play? Just little things..... But back to what I said in my first post. They hit harder and blocked better and played smarter ( punter realizing it was a free play) etc. They won the game. They did what they do in big games. They earned it. I just wish LH had shown what had won them those 38 games and not tried to be something else. Cant wait to see a rematch [/B][/QUOTE]

Bottom line, you just got beat by a better team. Great teams make good teams look bad, break out the basketball's and look forward to next year.

THE DOCTOR
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
If the Celina Bobcats had given the same performance and tried to pass the entire game, which is not the way they win ballgames, I would have had the same questions for there coaches. But regardless I cannot sway anybodys opinion on here or make anyone beleive that I would not be bragging and boasting. Congrats Celina.

LH Panther Mom
12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
If the Celina Bobcats had given the same performance and tried to pass the entire game, which is not the way they win ballgames, I would have had the same questions for there coaches. But regardless I cannot sway anybodys opinion on here or make anyone beleive that I would not be bragging and boasting. Congrats Celina.
The Panthers win as a team, and lose as a team. :) Just as THEY won 14 this season, THEY lost the last one. :(