PDA

View Full Version : Auburn has named it's new head coach

WestTxschwab
12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
and it;s
Gene Chizik??????

being reported all over the place.
What a move, he won about 6 games in two years and now has to go to the SEC... he coundnt recruit in the big 12 and now has to face, meyer, spurrier, saban, the mad hatter.....

good luck with that one.

Maroon87
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow...he lead Iowa State exactly nowhere. Maybe he'll have better luck recruiting in the SEC...time will tell.:confused:

At least that clears up the Muschamp rumor.

ILS1
12-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab
and it;s
Gene Chizik??????

being reported all over the place.
What a move, he won about 6 games in two years and now has to go to the SEC... he coundnt recruit in the big 12 and now has to face, meyer, spurrier, saban, the mad hatter.....

good luck with that one.

Nvermind

:D :D :D

44INAROW
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Russ - what's your thoughts? :)

By Andrew Gribble, Media General News Service
Published: January 6, 2009
http://www.nbc13.com/vtm/sports/college/auburn/article/auburn_hires_a_trooper_to_coach_wide_receivers/53481/

AUBURN — On its way back from an extended stay in Stillwater, Okla., an Auburn University jet returned to Auburn on Monday afternoon without Trooper Taylor — just two pilots.

A foreboding sign it was not, as Taylor was officially named Auburn’s new assistant head coach and wide receivers coach hours later.

“This is a great opportunity to join Coach Chizik at Auburn and be a part of a dynamic offensive staff that he has put together,” Taylor said in a university statement. “I’m excited to be coaching at a program like Auburn and return to the Southeastern Conference.”

Taylor is the second defector from Oklahoma State and the fifth coach overall to join Gene Chizik’s staff. Four spots remain, including the defensive coordinator position. Presumably, Auburn has just an offensive line coach to hire on the offensive side.

James Willis, who was the only coach retained from Tommy Tuberville’s staff, is the only defensive assistant to be hired and has yet to have his position defined.

Taylor is considered one the nation’s top recruiters and was a hot commodity among major schools before coming to an agreement with Auburn. The two-time Rivals’ Top 25 recruiter was reportedly being courted by Tennessee and Florida and was a candidate for the open offensive coordinator position at Miami.

“Trooper is an outstanding wide receivers coach and has had a long line of players that have flourished under his direction,” Chizik said. “He’s been successful at every stop as a coach, has a strong knowledge of the Southeastern Conference and is a tremendous recruiter.”

Taylor, 38, spent just one season at Oklahoma State as the wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator. The Cowboys ranked sixth in the nation in total offense this season. OSU wide receiver Dez Bryant led the Big 12 in receiving yards, was a first-team All-American and a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.

Previously, Taylor spent four years at Tennessee, where he established himself as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He picked up the Rivals’ award in 2005 and 2007, when the Volunteers had the fourth- and third-best recruiting classes, respectively, in the nation, according to Rivals.com.

As a player at Baylor, Taylor played defensive back from 1988-91 and went on to establish school records in total kickoff returns and kickoff return yardage. He was a graduate assistant for one season with the Bears before spending three seasons as a full-time wide receivers and secondary coach.

Taylor spent four seasons at Tulane as the Green Wave’s wide receivers coach before taking the job at Tennessee.

Taylor flew into Auburn on Sunday along with new running backs coach Curtis Luper, who was already an official member of Chizik’s staff and also coached at Oklahoma State. Taylor introduced himself to the reporters on site, but did not offer any comments on the record before Chizik arrived to take the pair back to the Auburn Athletic Complex.

The same jet traveled to Mobile on Sunday evening, returned to Auburn then went back to Stillwater, landing shortly after midnight Monday. New Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn is currently in Mobile, where he will coach his final game as Tulsa’s co-offensive coordinator in tonight’s GMAC Bowl.

Taylor grew up in Cuero, Texas and is one of 16 kids. He and his wife, Evi, have a son, Blaise, and a daughter, Starr.

“He’s a great family man,” Luper said. “He’s a phenomenal story.”

from a blog (link below)

After what seemed like an eternity—it really wasn’t, but I ran out of Internet sites to browse while I waited—Trooper Taylor is your new assistant head coach and wide receivers coach at Auburn.

“This is a great opportunity to join Coach Chizik at Auburn and be a part of a dynamic offensive staff that he has put together,” Taylor said in a university statement. “I’m excited to be coaching at a program like Auburn and return to the Southeastern Conference.”

For those that just tuned in and noticed I’ve been blogging a bunch today, which has subsequently buried my informative, early-morning post about Taylor, here it is again.

2008 - Oklahoma State - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers
2004-07 - Tennessee - Assistant Head Coach/Player Development/Wide Receivers
2004-05 - Tennessee - Running Backs
1999-2003 - Tulane - Wide Receivers
1998 - New Mexico - Running Backs
1997- Baylor - Wide Receivers
1995-96 - Baylor - Secondary
1994 - Baylor - Wide Receivers
1992-93 - Baylor - Graduate Assistant

- Taylor, 38, grew up in Cuero, Texas and is one of 16 kids. He and his wife, Evi, have a son, Blaise, and a daughter, Starr.

He joins these four coaches on Auburn’s suddenly swift-growing coaching staff. Four spots remain. Again, I recommend you apply now if you have any interest.

Gus Malzahn (Tulsa) - offensive coordinator
Curtis Luper (Oklahoma State) - running backs coach
Jay Boulware (Iowa State) - special teams
Link (http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/OAN_Sports/C723/P3/)

HM33
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Thats great for Trooper. I'm glad he is making his way up the list.

44INAROW
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
opps - I messed up - trying to copy this into the new thread about Trooper.. oops.. let me try again

big daddy russ
02-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Russ - what's your thoughts? :)

By Andrew Gribble, Media General News Service
Published: January 6, 2009
http://www.nbc13.com/vtm/sports/college/auburn/article/auburn_hires_a_trooper_to_coach_wide_receivers/53481/

AUBURN — On its way back from an extended stay in Stillwater, Okla., an Auburn University jet returned to Auburn on Monday afternoon without Trooper Taylor — just two pilots.

A foreboding sign it was not, as Taylor was officially named Auburn’s new assistant head coach and wide receivers coach hours later...

Gus Malzahn (Tulsa) - offensive coordinator
Curtis Luper (Oklahoma State) - running backs coach
Jay Boulware (Iowa State) - special teams
Link (http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/OAN_Sports/C723/P3/)
Just saw this post for the first time, but when I heard that Taylor was coming to the Plains it softened the blow of winding up with our old boy as the HC.

As much as I have to say about the situation and as many crazy stories (a couple so crazy and so interesting and so well-tied-together that they may make sense) as I've heard about the whole fiasco, Chizik's put together a great staff so far. We know he can coach a defense, but the problem in Auburn was always the offense and recruiting.

Gus Malzahn, only a couple years removed from coaching at the HS level, will be what Troy Franklin should've been. Meanwhile, the Okie State boys (Taylor and Luper) will further boost the offense and the recruiting. They both have ties to SEC country, Oklahoma, and Texas... the areas that matter.

Also, Ted Roof may have failed miserably during his stint as the Duke HC, but he can coach a defense. Between him and Chizik, our D should be solid.

I'm decently optimistic about the season. We may actually get to .500.