PDA

View Full Version : Sam McGuffie transfer

88bobcats
12-13-2008, 12:39 PM
A friend of mine in Michigan told me about this, and I guess it's confirmed.

Freshman tailback Sam McGuffie leaving U-M

12/12/2008, 10:32 p.m. EST

The Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Local news reports say freshman tailback Sam McGuffie is leaving Michigan and plans to transfer to a school closer to his Texas home.

McGuffie disclosed his plans to rivals.com and they were confirmed in online stories posted Friday by Booth Newspapers, The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. An athletic department spokesman says Michigan doesn't comment on whether a student-athlete has transferred.

McGuffie played in 10 games in 2008, rushing for 486 yards on 118 attempts with three touchdowns. Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez said a week ago that McGuffie was facing family issues in Texas and also had medical issues, including several concussions this season.

The online reports say Rodriguez, who has seen six players leave since the end of November, was making recruiting visits and wasn't available for comment.

coach
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
A friend of mine in Michigan told me about this, and I guess it's confirmed.

Freshman tailback Sam McGuffie leaving U-M

12/12/2008, 10:32 p.m. EST

The Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Local news reports say freshman tailback Sam McGuffie is leaving Michigan and plans to transfer to a school closer to his Texas home.

McGuffie disclosed his plans to rivals.com and they were confirmed in online stories posted Friday by Booth Newspapers, The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. An athletic department spokesman says Michigan doesn't comment on whether a student-athlete has transferred.

McGuffie played in 10 games in 2008, rushing for 486 yards on 118 attempts with three touchdowns. Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez said a week ago that McGuffie was facing family issues in Texas and also had medical issues, including several concussions this season.

The online reports say Rodriguez, who has seen six players leave since the end of November, was making recruiting visits and wasn't available for comment.

texas a&m???

88bobcats
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by coach
texas a&m???

Dang, I hope so!

GreenMachine
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by coach
texas a&m??? That's the rumor:2thumbsup

88bobcats
12-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
That's the rumor:2thumbsup

It is just up the road a bit from Cypress.....

WestTxschwab
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
It will be, he reported to rivals.com that TAMU was the clear front runner and were in the front last year too before going to michigan.

Rabid Cougar
12-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Read the last line. He's had 3 concussions this year. That would concern me.

g$$
12-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab
It will be, he reported to rivals.com that TAMU was the clear front runner and were in the front last year too before going to michigan.

Would have to sit out next year as a transfer & then would have 3 years to play if it happens (played as true freshman last year). D1-A to D1-A so 5 to play 4

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Exactly what we need, another scat back...:rolleyes: can I get a Shonn Green please!

Necks_Fan
12-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Exactly what we need, another scat back...:rolleyes: can I get a Shonn Green please! Well, you do have Javorskie. :D

I wouldn't exactly classify him as a scat back.:eek:

BUT, I would welcome McGuffie to A&M anytime. Never can run out of good players.

Keep in mind that he returns punts and KO's too, I think.

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Well, you do have Javorskie. :D

I wouldn't exactly classify him as a scat back.:eek:

BUT, I would welcome McGuffie to A&M anytime. Never can run out of good players.

Keep in mind that he returns punts and KO's too, I think.
I do like him more than most of our backs (who also are scat as well) except for Cyrus Gray I think he is already better than Mike Goodsen.

I just want a combo of speed and power not hopefully this guy gets to the outside fast enough.

Necks_Fan
12-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I do like him more than most of our backs (who also are scat as well) except for Cyrus Gray I think he is already better than Mike Goodsen.

I just want a combo of speed and power not hopefully this guy gets to the outside fast enough. I understood what you were saying. Just poking some fun.

McGuffie is an all purpose player.

Returns kicks, catches well, and can do some running out of the backfield.

I would not be mad at all if he came to CS.

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I understood what you were saying. Just poking some fun.

McGuffie is an all purpose player.

Returns kicks, catches well, and can do some running out of the backfield.

I would not be mad at all if he came to CS.
Ya ya I know haha :D

What do you think of Cyrus Gray though? :nerd:

Necks_Fan
12-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Ya ya I know haha :D

What do you think of Cyrus Gray though? :nerd: To be honest, I don't know much about him.

I just remember Sam from HS. I watched him a few times.

nexfan
12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Dont be too surprised if he winds up at The University of Houston!!!! All the aggies might be excited but the rumor mill has made its way to Cullen Blvd as well!! I think the cougars will be better than atm the next few years anyway, that offense is pretty dang potent.

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by nexfan
Dont be too surprised if he winds up at The University of Houston!!!! All the aggies might be excited but the rumor mill has made its way to Cullen Blvd as well!! I think the cougars will be better than atm the next few years anyway, that offense is pretty dang potent.
I'd be happy with either one as I follow both of them! :)

nexfan
12-13-2008, 11:17 PM
As you should. Case Keenum is a stud. My fiance is a Sports information Director there and she sees him all the time. She said he is the nicest guy and a very humble, down to earth person. She also talks to UH folks quite often and has heard the rumors swirling. (probably just like every other Texas school has)

BobcatBenny
12-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Just talked to our recruiter. Sam is transferring to Celina.

Sorry A&M. Sam will wear orange. :eek:

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 11:20 PM
As you should. Case Keenum is a stud. My fiance is a Sports information Director there and she sees him all the time. She said he is the nicest guy and a very humble, down to earth person. She also talks to UH folks quite often and has heard the rumors swirling. (probably just like every other Texas school has)
Case has the Wylie magic going for him!
Everyone wants an electric player such as a McGuffie though, Ohio State is probably saying they're going to get him. :D

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Just talke to our recruiter. Sam is transferring to Celina.

Sorry A&M. Sam will wear orange. :eek:
Bastards!

:D

nexfan
12-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Can Wylie send UH some linebackers???

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Can Wylie send UH some linebackers???
You know what...that is the first thing I said when I watched them play for the first time this year against UAB, they look like they're turtles stuck in peanut butter out there!

I also said the same thing about the WR's but they definitely have improved and I think they are a very solid group now!

nexfan
12-13-2008, 11:32 PM
The receivers aren't that bad as long as there are no band carts in the endzone!!! The cougars have some talent....some burners on offense. When you put up 70 on the # 23 team in the country you can win some football games. Case led the nation in total offense per game too. The main problem is letting Rice and Oklahoma State get in the 50's on you. Although they both finished 9-3.

BTW... Case has something about him when it comes to avoiding the rush!!! I cant explain it and you cant teach it, he just has it!!

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 11:42 PM
The receivers aren't that bad as long as there are no band carts in the endzone!!! The cougars have some talent....some burners on offense. When you put up 70 on the # 23 team in the country you can win some football games. Case led the nation in total offense per game too. The main problem is letting Rice and Oklahoma State get in the 50's on you. Although they both finished 9-3.

BTW... Case has something about him when it comes to avoiding the rush!!! I cant explain it and you cant teach it, he just has it!!
Ya poor Patrick Edwards!

I agree with the defense though, ask Brownwood about that.

carter08
12-14-2008, 01:25 AM
McGuffie is a good player. He is not a great player.

Saw him play in the playoffs against Pearland. A solid back, but against good defenses he was not nearly spectacular was he was against weaker teams.

A little work and he could be a solid collegiate RB. I do not think he is ready for Big 12 competition. Put him in CUSA and let him beat up on weaker defenses. He could be a capable return man in the pros, and putting up big numbers as a Cougar might help further that than the mediocre numbers he would get at A&M. McGuffie isn't going to succeed with big lineman and strong linebackers breathing down his neck. He is not physical enough to handle that.

I could see him doing good as a WR. More room to navigate would help show his speed off.

Overall, I think he would fit better here at UH.

Go Coogs.

injuredinmelee
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Dang, I hope so!

coach Rich Rodriguez said a week ago that McGuffie was facing family issues in Texas and also had medical issues, including several concussions this season.

yeah just what you want in an already undersized kid... a concussion issue.

mnlavey
12-14-2008, 09:10 AM
As a Michigan man, I am dissapointed to see Sam leave. He was a huge contributor this year as a freshman.

I wish him well wherever he ends up. I also wish him good health - 3 concussions in one season is very scary.