PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Scott wins Harlon Hill

wildstangs
12-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Former Vernon player wins D2 Heisman

ACU's Bernard Scott wins Harlan Hills Trophy

Originally published 09:00 p.m., December 12, 2008
Updated 09:00 p.m., December 12, 2008

A year ago, Bernard Scott was just happy to one of three finalists for the Harlon Hill Trophy. This evening he was named the winner of the award given to the top Division II player in the nation.

The Abilene Christian University running back was a runner-up last year, and the competitor in him wasn't completely happy with being anything less than No. 1.

"I had a good time," he said. "But I had a bitter taste in my mouth. I thought I should have won it."

Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead won the award for the second consecutive year in 2007. The senior ran for 1,597 yards and 21 touchdowns on 250 carries. Woodhead also had 38 catches for 484 yards and two touchdowns.

Scott, a junior last season, ran for 2,165 yards and 35 touchdowns on 251 carries. He also had 46 catches for 565 yards and four touchdowns. The touchdowns and points scored were both Division II single-season records.

"I had a better season than Woodhead," Scott said. "It just made me want to come back and work harder."

Scott came back and had another impressive season for the Wildcats. He ran for 2,156 yards and 28 touchdowns. He also caught 47 passes for 826 yards and six touchdowns. All in 12 games, one less than last year.

Scott led NCAA Division II in scoring (17 points per game), all-purpose yards (256.9 yards per game), and he was second in the nation in rushing.

Bernard Scott, Sr., RB, ACU

• rushed for 2,156 yards and 28 touchdowns

• caught 47 passes for 826 yards and six touchdowns

• led Division II in scoring (17 points per game), all-purpose yards (256.9 yards per game), and was second in the nation in rushing

• averaged more than eight yards per carry and rushed for more than 200 yards in four of his last six games.

• has broken 100-yard mark in 17 consecutive games dating back to last season

• has topped 200-yard mark six times in 25 games for the Wildcats

• led ACU to outright Lone Star Conference title, an 11-1 record overall and a berth in the national quarterfinals this season

michaelp23
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Seeing him play in person at ACU games was something special. Congrats Bernard!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

GetRDoneStangs
12-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Congrats...well deserved!!!!!

GetRDoneStangs
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Good stuff from the Abilene RN...........it's good to see it turn out this way!!!!

Bernard Scott was on top of the world Friday night.

The 24-year-old Abilene Christian University senior won the Harlon Hill Trophy, given to the best player in Division II football, in Florence, Ala.

It was an unbelievable moment for the running back from Vernon. There he was basking in the limelight, when just three years ago Scott was out of football and heading down a dark path.

"I didn't think I would be playing ball again," Scott said, after he had been kicked off the Central Arkansas University team for disciplinary reasons in the spring of '05. He found himself back in Vernon and running with the wrong crowd

And without football, Scott believed he had little chance to make a better life for himself.

Then Abilene Christian University football coach Chris Thomsen threw him a lifeline.

Thomsen, a Vernon native who had coached Scott twice before, including a season at Central Arkansas, had kept up with Scott's life. He knew Scott was a talented athlete, and he also knew Scott desperately needed to turn his life around.

Thomsen, who had just finished his first season at ACU, returned to his hometown during Christmas break and paid Scott a visit.

"I pulled up to his house in December of '05, in front of his grandmother's house in Vernon," Thomsen said. "I said, 'Get in the truck,' and we had a very honest and forthright conversation about what he wanted to do with the rest of his life. I asked him, 'Do you want to sit here and waste it?'

rest of the story...

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/dec/13/the-best/

5wide
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Saw this guy play Dcatur when he was a junior....ran all over us!! What are his chances in the NFL??

OL_DAWG
12-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 5wide
Saw this guy play Dcatur when he was a junior....ran all over us!! What are his chances in the NFL??

I think his chances are decent to play professional. I talked with one of his coaches at ACU the other day, and he said that they are projecting him a 2nd to 3rd round choice, if all works out.

RMAC
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
ESPN has him listed as the #34 available running back for next year's draft so 2nd or 3rd round might be a bit high.

Balcones fault
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
ESPN has him listed as the #34 available running back for next year's draft so 2nd or 3rd round might be a bit high.

Agreed. Perceived character issues will drive his value down. Some team will take a chance though.

GreenMonster
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
This kid didn't play his Sr season in HS due to being kicked off the Vernon team. He tried to transfer to Wichita Falls High but was not allowed to play because it was determined that he was moving for athletic reasons. There are disputed accounts of what got him kicked off the VHS squad, but there was a fight involved. What got him kicked out of Central Arkansas I'm unaware of. He is a rare talent and I wish him well, but the perception of charachter flaws is actually a rather well documented history. Whether that history is truly deserved, who am I to say? I'm just pointing out facts.

duckhunter
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Balcones fault
Agreed. Perceived character issues will drive his value down. Some team will take a chance though. agreed. his immaturity will cost him

markp08
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
His "Perceived" immaturity may cost him! Look at his record at ACU. I think his "immaturity" is behind him!

Congratulations Bernard. ACU fans are proud to have had you play for us!

injuredinmelee
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Was a lot of fun watching him at ACU. Will be impossible to replace.

Dominicfrank
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This kid didn't play his Sr season in HS due to being kicked off the Vernon team. He tried to transfer to Wichita Falls High but was not allowed to play because it was determined that he was moving for athletic reasons. There are disputed accounts of what got him kicked off the VHS squad, but there was a fight involved. What got him kicked out of Central Arkansas I'm unaware of. He is a rare talent and I wish him well, but the perception of charachter flaws is actually a rather well documented history. Whether that history is truly deserved, who am I to say? I'm just pointing out facts.

There is nothing disputed about what got him kicked off. He was a very troubled kid who deserved getting kicked off. There are very few people in Vernon who share in this kids recent successes. He let everyone down in Vernon from teammates to coaches and more importantly the community. While I do believe that people can make a turn around I would have rather he turned it around himself rather than a former Vernon player and two time Bernard Scott coach, seeing an athlete who can help his team win and beg him to come play and change. What hasnt been mentioned now that he is winning awards is that he was almost kicked off the ACU team when he first got there and almost quite as well do to him thinking he was being shafted. The articles are out there you just have to dig past all of the well wishes. You might think I am against this kid but thas not true, I just want him to truley earn his adulthood by means other than his physical ability. Afterall it was off the field crap that got him kicked off the team to begin with. For Vernon to kick off a returning ALL STATE running back who would have won them another state championship you have to know it was a terrible thing he did.......and it was.