PDA

View Full Version : Heisman poll

TheDOCTORdre
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I didnt notice one of these up yet and if there is I apologize but lets see what we get out of a poll... Who will be the 2008 Heisman winner?

BreckTxLonghorn
12-12-2008, 01:01 PM
What makes Heisman tough is: Most outstanding player, or Most valuable player?

My votes: Outstanding
Bradford
McCoy
Tebow

Valuable

McCoy
Tebow
Bradford (before anybody thinks I'm trashing Bradford's value, I'm more commenting on how stacked a team OU was; great RB, great WR corp; amazing Defense - they could've made a run had Bradford not been there. Texas & Florida, on the other hand, wouldn't be near as well off without McCoy & Tebow, respectively)

g$$
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
What makes Heisman tough is: Most outstanding player, or Most valuable player?

My votes: Outstanding
Bradford
McCoy
Tebow

Valuable

McCoy
Tebow
Bradford (before anybody thinks I'm trashing Bradford's value, I'm more commenting on how stacked a team OU was; great RB, great WR corp; amazing Defense - they could've made a run had Bradford not been there. Texas & Florida, on the other hand, wouldn't be near as well off without McCoy & Tebow, respectively)

OU has an amazing defense? I know statistically they fared well in the Big 12, but they have been exposed at times too. Heck, look how many points K-State & A&M put up on them. And Florida will too & then some. I expect a shoot-out in the MNC.

Bradford
Tebow
McCoy

In that order, in my opinion.

DDBooger
12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
McCoy
Bradford
Tebow

gobbler grad
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Tebow
Bradford
McCoy

BreckTxLonghorn
12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OU has an amazing defense? I know statistically they fared well in the Big 12, but they have been exposed at times too. Heck, look how many points K-State & A&M put up on them. And Florida will too & then some. I expect a shoot-out in the MNC.

Bradford
Tebow
McCoy

In that order, in my opinion.

See your point on that, though I think the loss of Reynolds severely hampered them, and they still played relatively well considering Big XII's offense. I'll give you props on that.

But all things considered, their defense would have still played the same way regardless of Bradford, don't you think? I guess that's ultimately my point.

I guess I'll just give you the point. Dangit.

JasperDog94
12-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Bradford
Tebow
McCoy

In that order, in my opinion. What a shock!;)

cshscougar08
12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I definitely agree that in order of importance to the team it goes McCoy, Tebow, Bradford. No doubt about it. McCoy is without a doubt the reason that Texas had the season it did. However, when you look at things that way, it's like you're penalizing Bradford for having great teammates, which in my opinion, is unfair. Just because he has a great supporting cast, doesn't make him any less great than McCoy. On SI.com earlier this week, the Heisman Watch writer picked McCoy basically because he made plays with his feet. Pathetic logic. Just because Bradford isn't a runner, again, that doesn't make him less great than McCoy. It's going to be extremely close to be sure. I obviously feel that Bradford should win it, but feel that all three are definitely worthy candidates.

JasperDog94
12-12-2008, 03:28 PM
What's interesting is that if Blake Gideon makes that interception at the end of the Tech game, this is Colt's award to lose. It would be almost a no-brainer. The quality of your team definitely comes into play.

WylieBulldog92
12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Tebow
Bradford
McCoy
Agreed.

cshscougar08
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What's interesting is that if Blake Gideon makes that interception at the end of the Tech game, this is Colt's award to lose. It would be almost a no-brainer. The quality of your team definitely comes into play.

Exactly. Just like if Harrell and Tech hadn't laid an egg up here in Norman he would be in the driver's seat.

zebrablue2
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
my vote is for mcCoy, but not on this board. I vote tebow, because that is who the sports writers are going to pick. again I hope mcCoy wins it...

Pick6
12-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Tebow and Bradford both have better skill players around them. McCoy should win hands down.

Dogs_21
12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
This is a Texas Site so I expect McCoy to get most of the votes!

DDBooger
12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Exactly. Just like if Harrell and Tech hadn't laid an egg up here in Norman he would be in the driver's seat. yeah but its more indirect in Colts case. He ended up performing rather well and brought back Texas. In Harrell's case, well, as you said, he layed an egg.

coach
12-12-2008, 10:09 PM
What a shock!;)

about as big as shock as this poll

g$$
12-13-2008, 12:48 AM
What a shock!;)

Not a Horn or Aggie thing, just my opinion. I think Bradford is a stud & will be solid pro too. Colt is hurt by Texas not playing in the Big 12 Championship Game last weekend on national tv. Out of sight, out of mind. Not fair but reality. If Texas beats Tech, it is probably Colt's to lose right now. Gideon will go down in infamy for the dropped interception that cost Texas & McCoy dearly in the end.

Bradford & McCoy could split this region's vote, which in tiurn favors Tebow. Gonna be very close & interesting Sat. night.

g$$
12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
See your point on that, though I think the loss of Reynolds severely hampered them, and they still played relatively well considering Big XII's offense. I'll give you props on that.

But all things considered, their defense would have still played the same way regardless of Bradford, don't you think? I guess that's ultimately my point.

I guess I'll just give you the point. Dangit.

OU losing LB Reynolds was huge, no doubt. Something just has not clicked for OU on defense most of the year. They win with offense, but goodness knows they don't lack for athletes on either side of the ball.

Good points all around. I just hope OU shows up in the BCS Championship for the sake of the Big 12. And I can't stand OU for the record!

DDBooger
12-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
OU losing LB Reynolds was huge, no doubt. Something just has not clicked for OU on defense most of the year. They win with offense, but goodness knows they don't lack for athletes on either side of the ball.

Good points all around. I just hope OU shows up in the BCS Championship for the sake of the Big 12. And I can't stand OU for the record! It's really hard to root for them, but if the Big 12 is to be compared to the SEC, they need to win or at least give them one hell of a game.

Maroon87
12-13-2008, 03:38 AM
I feel that Colt did more with less than what Bradford and Tebow had at their disposal. Plus, he really was the heart of the Longhorns. Without him they'd be in the Alamo Bowl.

gobbler grad
12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
heisman to be picked soon...:thinking: will Tebow win 2 in a row...can McCoy pull this one out ...or will Bradford steal it away...we will know in a little while...:)

sinton66
12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
what time does it happen?

gobbler grad
12-13-2008, 08:48 PM
right now...:)on ESPN

gobbler grad
12-13-2008, 08:55 PM
And the winner is...

SAM BRADFORD

sinton66
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
They just couldn't bring themselves to vote for the only quarterback to beat him head to head. Yuk, that ain't right.

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I wonder if we were in California if our poll would be more accurate? :D

Eagle 1
12-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Quote hookandladder from the Bradford wins thread;

Stoops definitely uses the system to get what he wants, bottom line Coach Mack is definitely a more classy coach. Stoops ran up the score the last 3 games to get what he wants and also help Bradford win the Heisman. You cannot tell me Texas could not have ran up the score to 60 points on most teams they played, Yes it may have cost Texas and McCoy but what is Stoops teaching his players to become. My son is in the 8th grade and I can tell you I would want him to play for Coach Mack not some coach who wins at all cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baylor 0 Texas 56
Baylor 0 Texas 62
T Tech 7 Texas 58
N. Mex.7 Texas 66
N. Tex 0 Texas 65
LA. Laf 3 Texas 60
Rice 10 Texas 51
Kansas 14 Texas 66
N. Tex 7 Texas 56
Rice 7 Texas 52
SH, State 3 Texas 56
Rice 14 Texas 58
Iowa 3 Texas 56
F. AT 10 Texas 52

People that say M. Brown doesnt run up the score like Stoopes are either liars or woefully uneducated.
God forbid somebody say something negative on here about the longhorns, but go ahead and lock this thread too.
Congrats to Bradford for winning the heisman.

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Colt McCoy should file charges. That poor fella has had his National Championship Game and the Heisman trophy stolen from him. :doh:

THE DOCTOR
12-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Those were by backups..... not heisman worthy players.

ziggy29
12-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
People that say M. Brown doesnt run up the score like Stoopes are either liars or woefully uneducated. [/B]

Maybe, maybe not. But the bottom line is this: I think this season proved that running it up works. And I don't blame Stoops for it -- as we can see, the voters reward it and he has a duty to do what's best for his team.

Having said that, I suspect 2009 may become the "year of no mercy" in college football, especially if your team is still alive in the BCS hunt or you have a Heisman candidate on your team. The evidence is clear: running up the score works with the voters.

I. B. Watching
12-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Of Bradford's 48 TD passes, only 6 came in the fourth quarter, two of those were against Okie State Aggies and one each against Cinci, Tech, Texas and KU. He had 15 TD passes in the first quarter, 14 in the second and 13 in the third. It doesn't look like he was throwing a lot of touchdown passes in the fourth quarter in an effort to run up the score or pad the numbers.

Eagle 1
12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
Those were by backups..... not heisman worthy players.
Mack Brown was still the coach, correct?

JasperDog94
12-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Having said that, I suspect 2009 may become the "year of no mercy" in college football, especially if your team is still alive in the BCS hunt or you have a Heisman candidate on your team. The evidence is clear: running up the score works with the voters. That may be fine and good until the losing team gets enough of it and hits someone late in retribution.