PDA

View Full Version : Unification Bout - Celina vs Liberty Hill

Orange Defense
12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Unification bout -- Last year's state champs square off
BY BILL SPINKS

HERALD DEMOCRAT

CELINA -- Two seasons removed from the first epic clash between Celina and Liberty Hill, little has changed to tip the balance for or against either state champion.

In 2006, Celina was the brash newcomer to Class 3A, owning seven championships at a lower level. Liberty Hill was a power on the rise using coach Jerry Vance's Slot-T offense.

It took almost the entire 48 minutes to decide a winner in Waco that day before Liberty Hill's Gio Magallon booted a 31-yard field goal with six seconds left for a 22-19 win, handing the Bobcats their first-ever loss in a state final.

Two years later, the Bobcats -- who bounced back to the top of Division II in 2007 for their state-record eighth championship after being denied by Liberty Hill -- finally get their chance for revenge against the Panthers, who lifted the 3A Division I trophy last December after a 38-13 win over Gilmer.

This time, it's merely a state semifinal collision. But no hype is needed for Saturday's 5 p.m. unification bout between title-belt holders in the cozy squared circle of Midlothian ISD Stadium.

"Everybody knows the situation we're in," said Celina coach Butch Ford. "Over the last three years the two premier teams in 3A have been Liberty Hill and Celina, no question. We felt we should've won the first time, but we didn't make the plays. Both teams are the cream of the crop. I don't need to build it up any more. It is what it is."

Liberty Hill -- which ended a 31-game Celina streak in that 2006 showdown -- now has won 38 in a row in the tricky ground-oriented offense that was popularized by Bruce Bush at San Marcos and is now adhered-to by a growing number of Texas prep coaches, including Bonham's John Hall.

Quarterback Braden Fickel, running backs Dusty Boyd and Matt McCain -- all seniors -- and sophomore fullback Ryan Fickel lead a ball-control offense that runs behind a large and fundamentally-sound offensive line, moves the chains, shortens the game, and keeps the opposing offense off the field.

"They're better physically than we are; they're big and strong," Ford said. "Their win streak speaks for itself."

Vance coached Liberty Hill to a 5-5 record in his first year at the school in 2001, and has piloted the Panthers to double-digit campaigns since. Vance succeeded Hal Wasson, who was an unimpressive 5-15 in his two seasons in Liberty Hill. Wasson went on to find fame as Todd Dodge's top assistant at Southlake Carroll and later, after a stint at head coach at Keller Fossil Ridge, Dodge's successor after Dodge left for North Texas.

Vance's Panthers have been tested this year against a beefed-up schedule, with a 28-26 season-opening win over still-alive Giddings and a 28-25 victory over big-school state semifinalist Abilene Wylie. Five of their 14 wins have been by 11 points or fewer.

The Bobcat defense is assigned the tough job of slowing down a Liberty Hill offense whose season scoring low was 27 points in the Panthers' playoff opener against West.

"We're always ready to step it up; it's 'Celina Time,' " said Celina linebacker Jay Perez, citing the Bobcats' motto for 2008.

In comparison, the Bobcats are no slouches on offense themselves. Celina has accomplished a school first by scoring 50 or more points in each of its first four playoff games.

Senior Troy McCartney has a combined 2,022 rushing and receiving yards out of the backfield, and 27 total touchdowns on the year.

Speedy junior quarterback Cody Worrell is also on the verge of quadruple-digit rushing numbers, and senior Charley Waldrep -- a 1,700-yard rusher in 2007 -- seems tightly-coiled for a breakout as he emerges from a chronic series of lower-body injuries.

McCartney is also the team's leading pass-catcher with 35 receptions for 481 yards and seven TDs, although late-blooming senior Andy James is the main deep threat with eight TDs and a 23.9-yards-per-catch average.

Liberty Hill bases out of a split formation defensively and is led by linebacker Cody Lattimore, who reminds the Bobcat coaches of their own defensive leader in the middle, Caleb Lavey.

"Lattimore's their stud," said Celina offensive coordinator Bill Elliott. "He runs to the football and will put a hit on you."

Elliott added he's also worried about junior linebacker Brad Esch, of whom, Elliott said, "I don't know if he isn't as good as Lattimore."

Counting subvarsity games, Saturday will be the 63rd high school contest that McCartney, Waldrep, James and their senior teammates will participate in since the start of 2005. Many prepsters would be fortunate to play more than 40 in four years.

"I'm real thankful to have that many high school games to play in," McCartney said. "People in Celina and even our teammates don't realize that we play twice as much football as any other high school kid around. Some schools don't even make the playoffs, and we're just really thankful to make the playoffs every year. It's a blessing."

bobcat1
12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice article. :clap: :clap: :clap: Makes for an exciting game. In my final post before the game. I will take Celina by 3;) in this game. Good luck and safe travels to all. I pray for an injury free game on both sides. Lord I can't wait! Packed stadium, 2 fine football teams with it all on the line. It's go for what you know time! :D

gobbler grad
12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
good article on two great teams...should be a thriller...:thinking:

BreckTxLonghorn
12-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Great article. While I get the literary point of saying 'unification bout', this is a semifinal game, right?

mrescape43
12-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Is there a link for a webcast of this game. This should be one awesome game.

75009Football
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Great article. It will be a battle to the bitter end for both. I wish safe travels to both teams, fans, bands, and all others helping to make this a great event. When it is over, just like the young men on the field, we will all get to shake hands and enjoy reliving this for a long time to come as there will be some wonderful memories made from this game on both sides. Boys, hit'em hard, pick'em up, and do it again. I pray for an injury free game on both sides.

Lastly, Go Bobcats. Its Celina Time.

firstcat
12-12-2008, 02:59 PM
That is a great write-up.

I can't wait for morning to get here so we can caravan up I-35 to meet up with one of the state's "other" best!

Panthers, you know how to win, and you know that everything you've worked for all comes up to this game...As you always do, leave no doubt and make us proud! You will always be our champions, on and off the field!

Good health, safe travel and God's Blessings to all involved!

The best football in Texas will be at Midlothian, 5pm Saturday!

Who ya Rootin' For??? L-H-H-S!!!!!

Go get 'em Panthers!!!!! #56 rocks!

LH Panther Mom
12-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Is there a link for a webcast of this game. This should be one awesome game.
You have your choice of homers. :D ;)

Celina homers (http://tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broadcast-Schedule-2007.htm)

Liberty Hill homers: 3ADL/K-MAC SPORTS BROADCAST (http://kmacsports.com)

Come on
12-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Nice article. :clap: :clap: :clap: Makes for an exciting game. In my final post before the game. I will take Celina by 3;) in this game. Good luck and safe travels to all. I pray for an injury free game on both sides. Lord I can't wait! Packed stadium, 2 fine football teams with it all on the line. It's go for what you know time! :D

42 28 LH Rolls

Blue 200!:D

Orange Defense
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Come on
42 28 LH Rolls

Blue 200!:D

Rolls??? Oh, rolls out the basketballs...:taunt: :taunt: :clap:

Come on
12-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
Rolls??? Oh, rolls out the basketballs...:taunt: :taunt: :clap: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Clueless!

BLUE 200!

Come on
12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Two of our previous opponents are playing for state--Prosper and Dangerfield after a big win over Blanco. All those cute posts with tongues and teeth showing...better put in your mouthpieces cause Celina is punchin your clock tomorrow.

Bring it on, After tomorrow you can say three of your 4 losses are playing for State!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Hand!

Blue 200!

charlesrixey
12-13-2008, 12:24 AM
this is not the same celina team we saw earlier this season

jambo67
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
One difference between Celina and every other team Liberty Hill has faced all year. Celina a'int intimidated. If any win ever resulted from execution and play calling this could be it.

Super_R
12-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice article

Panters roll!

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by jambo67
One difference between Celina and every other team Liberty Hill has faced all year. Celina a'int intimidated.
I can assure you that many of the teams we faced this year were not intimidated, either.

Nice article. :)

Orange Defense
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Clueless!

BLUE 200!

Yes, it would appear that way by the post. I meant to be a smart@$$. I meant to say:

Rolls??? Oh ok, you mean LH rolls out the basketballs..:taunt: :clap:

Come on
12-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes, it would appear that way by the post. I meant to be a smart@$$. I meant to say:

Rolls??? Oh ok, you mean LH rolls out the basketballs..:taunt: :clap:

NO it means LH beats Celina AGAIN!

Orange Defense
12-13-2008, 09:15 AM
NO it means LH beats Celina AGAIN!

HA HA!! We'll have to wait and see about that this evening... Good Luck...:evilgrin:

Come on
12-13-2008, 09:28 AM
HA HA!! We'll have to wait and see about that this evening... Good Luck...:evilgrin: The last time I was this excited about a game other than Gilmer was 06, Be safe and hope to see you there,

BLUE 200!

75009Football
12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Anybody know what all those big black things are up in the sky heading south over DFW?

Wait! They are Crows.

Anybody know how far it is from Celina to LH?

Bout 9-10 hours as the Crow flys.

Wait, wait. What's that. Look. Look up at the last of them. They are pulling a banner. What, what's that. I can barely make it out. They seem to be in a such a hurry to get somewhere.

OMG! Now that's funny. It reads:

"Liberty Hill, LOOK WHO'S COMING TO DINNER!"

Pick6
12-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
Anybody know what all those big black things are up in the sky heading south over DFW?

Wait! They are Crows.

Anybody know how far it is from Celina to LH?

Bout 9-10 hours as the Crow flys.

Wait, wait. What's that. Look. Look up at the last of them. They are pulling a banner. What, what's that. I can barely make it out. They seem to be in a such a hurry to get somewhere.

OMG! Now that's funny. It reads:

"Liberty Hill, LOOK WHO'S COMING TO DINNER!"

Nomination for dumbest post of the year.