PDA

View Full Version : Clearing things up

bearcat1
02-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I have had the duck tape discussion with J2K before, I always called it duck until he tried to tell me a long time ago that it is 'duct'. Like I told him, it isn't only for 'ducts'. Logic.

That is only one of many things I have had to explain to him, so while I am posting, here are a couple more.

A time at the store, I suggested we get some of those black eyed peas with the green beans in them. He had no idea what I was talking about, until I showed him the can. Now he keeps telling me those are snaps, not green beans,and not the same thing. I still say they are green beans, I mean look at them. They are green beans. I don't even know why he was arguing that one.

Then there was the whole Chili's discussion. He every now and then will suggest we eat at Chili's even though he knows that I don't like ribs! He insists there are other good things to get there. Well most recently, I wanted a hamburger or something and he again says well how about Chilis, they have great hamburgers. Finally, because I was sooooo tired of explaining Chili's to him, I said well think about this..that song doesn't go "Chilis...ham-bur-gers" it goes "chilis...baby-back-ribs"..I even sang it for him...and does it go "I want my hamburgerhamburgerhamburger...no it doesn't! And the case was settled because right then and there he said, you know, you're right. And we haven't had to discuss Chili's, or green beans, or duck tape since then.

I am finally getting things across to him.

bc

3afan2K3
02-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Chili's does have pretty good hamburgers....and it's DUCT, you dont use it on ducks at all.

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

sinton66
02-25-2004, 10:37 PM
I wish you folks could make a little trip down here. If you really like hamburgers, there's a place here in Magnolia called "Hot Dogs and More" that has the best hamburgers I've ever had (and I've had a LOT). Almost a half pound of beef, fresh fixings, and seasoned perfectly.

3afan
02-25-2004, 10:41 PM
i think a 'snap' is just a cut green bean ...

bearcat1
02-25-2004, 11:00 PM
sinton66:
I wish you folks could make a little trip down here. If you really like hamburgers, there's a place here in Magnolia called "Hot Dogs and More" that has the best hamburgers I've ever had (and I've had a LOT). Almost a half pound of beef, fresh fixings, and seasoned perfectly.Where is Magnolia?

bc

PPHSfan
02-25-2004, 11:48 PM
As much as I hate to say this.

It IS Duct tape. (that's what it was invented for)

They are Snap green beans...so you are Both right.

And Chili's does have a pretty good hamburger.

But I loved your post...it was well thought out, and entertaining to read. :)

j_dog
02-26-2004, 01:45 AM
"A time at the store, I suggested we get some of those black eyed peas with the green beans in them. He had no idea what I was talking about, until I showed him the can. Now he keeps telling me those are snaps, not green beans,and not the same thing. I still say they are green beans, I mean look at them. They are green beans. I don't even know why he was arguing that one."

From someone from deep SE Texas who grew up eating those things (when I wasn't eating squirrel stew), if you snap green beans, you have snap beans. If you snap green peas, that is, black eyed PEAS, then you have "snap peas". In this case you are talking about blackeyed PEAS, so they are snap "peas". They are simply the peas that were too immature to shell. Ditto if you were talking about purple hull peas, crowder peas, or whatever. Personally, I like the purple hulls the best. :)

Jacket2000
02-26-2004, 02:05 AM
See, this is why I love her....I always stay entertained.
J2K

sinton66
02-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Magnolia is about 40 miles northwest of downtown Houston. It's on hwy 249/FM1774 10 miles due north of Tomball. The cross road ties between hwy 290 at Hempstead and IH45 at The Woodlands.

Also, just FYI, black-eyed peas are actually beans themselves. The green snaps in the canned ones are green versions of the black-eyed peas. If you pick them when they're still green, they're green beans. If you wait until the outer shell turns brown, they're black-eyed peas. Trust me on this, we grew a lot of them when I was a kid. My grandparents lived on the same place I was raised on, and we always had a garden that covered almost an acre.

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Old Dog
02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Sinton66......I'm backing you up about black-eyed peas. My wife and I still raise them in our garden each year. We pick them prior to the brown stage so they are a little more tender, but that makes for more difficult shelling.

JasperDog94
02-26-2004, 10:12 AM
j_dog:
Personally, I like the purple hulls the best. :) Now you're talkin'. :D :D

CatWoman
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
j_dog:
"A time at the store, I suggested we get some of those black eyed peas with the green beans in them. He had no idea what I was talking about, until I showed him the can. Now he keeps telling me those are snaps, not green beans,and not the same thing. I still say they are green beans, I mean look at them. They are green beans. I don't even know why he was arguing that one."

From someone from deep SE Texas who grew up eating those things (when I wasn't eating squirrel stew), if you snap green beans, you have snap beans. If you snap green peas, that is, black eyed PEAS, then you have "snap peas". In this case you are talking about blackeyed PEAS, so they are snap "peas". They are simply the peas that were too immature to shell. Ditto if you were talking about purple hull peas, crowder peas, or whatever. Personally, I like the purple hulls the best. :) JDog, I agree with your explanation of the snaps in black eyed peas. A green bean is not a black eyed pea snap.

j_dog
02-26-2004, 07:32 PM
I have had this discussion with my wife several times over the years, but if peas were "beans" they would be called BEANS. :p

slpybear the bullfan
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Man, you guys are making me a little hungry.

I love Black-Eyed Peas with big hunks of Purple Onion cooked in, along with the big hamhock. Then, pour it over cornbread, add pepper juice... mmmmmmmm.

True Story: My Oldest Uncle served in Germany during the 50s-60s. He brought home a German bride. When he brought her home to meet my Grandmother, she was aghast to see Black-Eyed Peas being served for supper. In accented English she said, "Uggh, that is only cow food back in Germany!"

No wonder the Germans are too smart for their own good! :D :mad:

spiveyrat
02-27-2004, 07:23 AM
slpybear the bullfan:

I love Black-Eyed Peas with big hunks of Purple Onion cooked in, along with the big hamhock. Then, pour it over cornbread, add pepper juice... mmmmmmmm.

Or better yet, served over rice.

sinton66
02-27-2004, 07:40 AM
j_dog:
I have had this discussion with my wife several times over the years, but if peas were "beans" they would be called BEANS. :p Just because something is called something, doesn't make it so. A peanut isn't a nut, it's a legume. Blackeyed peas are in the "bean" family. Ask your local County Ag agent. wink

Buckeye80
02-27-2004, 07:43 PM
[/QUOTE]Where is Magnolia?[/QUOTE]

You can probably find it at the video store under "drama". I wouldn't get it though. It's a complete waste of 4 hours. And I didn't find Tom Cruise as riveting as he was in say......"Days of Thunder". LOL :)

j_dog
02-28-2004, 10:14 PM
sinton66:

j_dog:
I have had this discussion with my wife several times over the years, but if peas were "beans" they would be called BEANS. :p Just because something is called something, doesn't make it so. A peanut isn't a nut, it's a legume. Blackeyed peas are in the "bean" family. Ask your local County Ag agent. wink All I know is that when I east beans, I pass a lot of g**, and I don't when I eat purple hull peas. That is enough facts for me! :D