PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Coaching Help

STAggie
12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
So I am coaching a little dribblers team in the 3rd and 4th grade division and was wondering if anyone had any drills that I could run to work on spacing. We are very strong shooting and I have good height downlow but we tend to want to follow the ball around the court. Also, I have four kids who are more than capable of bringing the ball up the court and 2 others who will be there once games start. Any suggestions. If we can get our spacing down we will be tough to beat.

Heffelfinger
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
against man or zone defense?

STAggie
12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
At this age group the only defense that can be run is man.

Heffelfinger
12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
If you have eight (or six), divide them into 2 teams, man-to-man.

Identify the 5 spots on the floor you want them to occupy (4 corners and high post, for example).

Coach stands outside the 3-line near the sideline on the wing with the ball.

Have the offense begin outside the 3-line. The idea is to have the offense to move continually through those spots until one gets open. Encourage movement by holding the ball. This is a good time to teach ball-screens, away screens, pick and roll, and give and go.

Once the ball enters play, continue to coach movement and spacing. Reward the offense with the ball after scores, the defense for steals and rebounds. Play to 3 or 4. Switch.

Does this make sense?

STAggie
12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
It does make sense the only problem is I have 9 players and some guys who don't like to pass no matter what I do short of just having them sit out, which at this age I don't want to do. Thanks for the idea I will have to try it out tonite. I was having them play 5 on us 3 coaches but then all they did was run around and not stay in position.

Rocket Dad
12-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Let them have fun, play Knockout, Horse, learn to do layups, dribble with either hand, and understand the basic concepts of basketball. Spacing and other concepts will come at a later age, don't forget to bring sports drinks and maybe cookies foer after practice.

STAggie
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Let them have fun, play Knockout, Horse, learn to do layups, dribble with either hand, and understand the basic concepts of basketball. Spacing and other concepts will come at a later age, don't forget to bring sports drinks and maybe cookies foer after practice.

We do all that but I wanted to teach them some basic offensive principles too because they have a tendency to all run to the guy with the ball and holler his name. I want them to understand that if you space out you score. Also, this is one of the most fundamental sound groups of kids I have seen. All of my kids know how to do a lay up and shoot from the elbow. Better watch for Sealy in about 6-8 years cause these kids are the real deal. LOL.

cshscougar08
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I would say do a four corners with a person at the free throw line and just have them pass it around for awhile. No moving, just passing til they get the concept.

DaHop72
12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
So I am coaching a little dribblers team in the 3rd and 4th grade division and was wondering if anyone had any drills that I could run to work on spacing. We are very strong shooting and I have good height downlow but we tend to want to follow the ball around the court. Also, I have four kids who are more than capable of bringing the ball up the court and 2 others who will be there once games start. Any suggestions. If we can get our spacing down we will be tough to beat. Is it true National Little Dribblers, man to man defense, press only in the 4th quarter?

STAggie
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Is it true National Little Dribblers, man to man defense, press only in the 4th quarter?

Yes sir, if you are down you can press the last 2 mins of the 4th quarter. I don't know if we are members of the National or not because I know at the next group up you can run zone and press the whole game because I am alerady planning on running a 2-2-1 and a 1-3-1 trap.

DaHop72
12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by STAggie
Yes sir, if you are down you can press the last 2 mins of the 4th quarter. I don't know if we are members of the National or not because I know at the next group up you can run zone and press the whole game because I am alerady planning on running a 2-2-1 and a 1-3-1 trap. 9-10 National you can press only in the 4th (Minors) Majors 11-12 became real basketball the entire game. I will send you a pm later as to what I have done in the 9-10 division and maybe some of it will be useful.

STAggie
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
9-10 National you can press only in the 4th (Minors) Majors 11-12 became real basketball the entire game. I will send you a pm later as to what I have done in the 9-10 division and maybe some of it will be useful.

Thanks alot. I am also having some trouble with politics but lets not get into that here.

Heffelfinger
12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Good luck with the politics. If you're not on the board, you're screwed!

STAggie
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Heffelfinger
Good luck with the politics. If you're not on the board, you're screwed!

Are you from Sealy? Its not that bad just some things goin down right now that need to get cleared up.

3afan
12-11-2008, 05:05 PM
you can't really "coach" 3rd-4th graders ...... you beg and plead that they do one thing that you ask and pray that they don't embarrass you during games

DaHop72
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
you can't really "coach" 3rd-4th graders ...... you beg and plead that they do one thing that you ask and pray that they don't embarrass you during games :thinking: :thinking: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Keystonepride
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
you can't really "coach" 3rd-4th graders ...... you beg and plead that they do one thing that you ask and pray that they don't embarrass you during games

I respectfully disagree here...all it takes it a little structure and practice and you can get them to have a little spacing.

I was a high school basketball coach as well as a "LIL" dribbler coach and here's what has worked for me:

My 3rd and 4th grade boys ran a basic high/low offense with the posts....and the guards were always passing and screening away...pretty simple, but if run correctly it will get you open shots where ever you want them as long as the offense is patient.

Each practice make sure you take time to run the offense without any defense at all on them. Focus on moving the ball quickly, when they catch the ball have them work on ball fakes, pass fakes, jab steps and maybe even a dribble or two. The key here is to stay in the offense and stay spaced...no shooting until you give the word. Make sure to RUN the offense...show them their options at each pass of it's development....this is where the knowledge of the game comes in...make sure you tell them about the back cuts, man screens, ball screens and all the other ways you can get open for a shot. Make them pass it a good 10-15 times at first while you are working on the spacing Coach them while they are running the offense, CONSTANTLY REMINDING THEM TO STAY FOCUSED AND SPACED PROPERLY...then release them for a shot....when the ball goes in or there is a rebound this is a good time to work on your break or delayed break, then you set it up again at the other end of the floor and run through it all over...

Remind them that quick shots don't make the defense work hard enough.

Make sure they hear your voice so come game time it will have the same impact, my boys would constantly hear me yell "spread it out" when they got bunched up but come game time when I yelled it..they knew exactly what I meant.

Run it every practice until they have it down cold.

Good luck

icu812
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
I respectfully disagree here...all it takes it a little structure and practice and you can get them to have a little spacing.

I was a high school basketball coach as well as a "LIL" dribbler coach and here's what has worked for me:

My 3rd and 4th grade boys ran a basic high/low offense with the posts....and the guards were always passing and screening away...pretty simple, but if run correctly it will get you open shots where ever you want them as long as the offense is patient.

Each practice make sure you take time to run the offense without any defense at all on them. Focus on moving the ball quickly, when they catch the ball have them work on ball fakes, pass fakes, jab steps and maybe even a dribble or two. The key here is to stay in the offense and stay spaced...no shooting until you give the word. Make sure to RUN the offense...show them their options at each pass of it's development....this is where the knowledge of the game comes in...make sure you tell them about the back cuts, man screens, ball screens and all the other ways you can get open for a shot. Make them pass it a good 10-15 times at first while you are working on the spacing Coach them while they are running the offense, CONSTANTLY REMINDING THEM TO STAY FOCUSED AND SPACED PROPERLY...then release them for a shot....when the ball goes in or there is a rebound this is a good time to work on your break or delayed break, then you set it up again at the other end of the floor and run through it all over...

Remind them that quick shots don't make the defense work hard enough.

Make sure they hear your voice so come game time it will have the same impact, my boys would constantly hear me yell "spread it out" when they got bunched up but come game time when I yelled it..they knew exactly what I meant.

Run it every practice until they have it down cold.

Good luck

I've coached lots of youth basketball and in most youth leagues you don't have the time to teach all that. For instance in our youth league you get 1 or 2 practices before the 1st game. I have a son that plays select basketball and that is a different story you can do what you advise because you have the practice time.

I'd start with the basics like, the rules, defense, dribbling, shooting, passing, blocking out, etc...

The #1 thing to teach them is defense if you want to win games. Defense, outlet, run, score :)

Keystonepride
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I've coached lots of youth basketball and in most youth leagues you don't have the time to teach all that.

Time of course is huge factor....

but the question wasn't about coaching the team or winning....it was about spacing...

and running your offense over and over is the best way, in my humble opinion, to accomplish that!

icu812
12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
Time of course is huge factor....

but the question wasn't about coaching the team or winning....it was about spacing...

and running your offense over and over is the best way, in my humble opinion, to accomplish that!

Point taken :thumbsup:

maestro
12-13-2008, 09:49 AM
first of all......it's wonderful that parents organize these activities for basketball......

IMO.....kids need MAN TO MAN DEFENSE.....

can you stop the dribbler??

can you find your man in transition???

and teach them the fundamentals of " looking " for a rebound....

you'd be surprised at how well kids can run zone presses later if they are schooled in man to man first and often..

again....you must have a great community that cares about basketball.

Rocket Dad
12-13-2008, 09:54 AM
The # 1 thing to teach in youth basketball is .... HAVE FUN !
The # 2 thing is >>> HAVE MORE FUN !!!

Keystonepride
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
The # 1 thing to teach in youth basketball is .... HAVE FUN !
The # 2 thing is >>> HAVE MORE FUN !!!

you forgot the 3rd thing: HAVE FUN

maestro
12-14-2008, 08:43 PM
correct.....

basketball can be a fun and exciting sport.....many times coaches ruin it....

Matthew328
12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
With that age group it's still tough to get them to understand spacing as you are seeing. Try to assign them spots on the court and say when the ball is here you go here etc. Repitition is key. The flex offense is fairly simple and easy to teach along with a 1-4.

Keep it simple and keep the fundamentals going.

STAggie
12-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. This team is a little more developed then most because almost all of them have either played for one or two year or have gone to basketball camp. As far as having fun that is what we are doing but I want to make sure that they also learn how to play the sport. The offense we are running is something I put together and is very similar to the 1-4 motion but works with two high posts, it is designed to get the most out of what my kids can do, and that is shoot from the elbow and then crash the boards with no abandon. Once again thanks for all the help.

STAggie
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Just want to say thanks for all the help. We had our first scrimmage last night and we looked really good. We kept our spacing really well and ran our one set play we have learned to perfection. In the 15 mins of play we won 16-0 and didn't even allow the other team a shot. I knew working on defense would pay off. It is really great to see the kids do the things you show them in practice in a game situation. I was a little worried because last night was our first time going full court but they did it no problem. Once again thanks for all the help.