PDA

View Full Version : Is This Giddings Best Team This Decade?

Milk That Cow
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I think this Giddings team is special and if they can find a way to somehow-someway upset Carthage, there is no telling what can happen in a State Title Game...

The Buffalo Coaching Staff are Motivators...

But, this team has had the good fortune of being in Region 4 and the 2006 team, in my humble opinion, was a better ball club...

buff4life
12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
I think this Giddings team is special and if they can find a way to somehow-someway upset Carthage, there is no telling what can happen in a State Title Game...

But, this team has had the good fortune of being in Region 4 and the 2006 team, in my humble opinion, was a better ball club...

I would say the last three years teams definitely had more talent and i may be biased that were better ball clubs, but no doubt in my mind that 2001 team that went to the semi finals is probably the best team that has gone through Giddings, barring the state championship team that i wasn't alive for, but this years team is very special taking nothing away from them and i wish them the best

Buffgal
12-10-2008, 03:03 PM
2001 Team had a massive O line and had a passing game to go with a pretty brutal RB/FB.

06 & 07 had a good team that relied on a few extremely talented athletes on the offense and defense. I also think those 10-0 season were fun to watch but the team didn't know how to persevere through injuries or a tough game. They were not tested until it was too late, a playoff game where it was do or die. I think the coaches faltered along with the team when unexpectedly faced with "Well, what are we going to do now?" scenarios. It's hard to adjust during halftime for players and coaches when you have relied on one or two for the big plays for the whole year.

2008 Team-No stars, undersized for the most part and definitely inexperienced at many positions. They doubted their ability to live up to the tremendous athletes that had gone before. The biggest thing about this team is that they have struggled against some powerhouse teams, they have played like a bad blooper movie against some, they have had to step into other spots on the team because of injuries but they have gotten stronger together because of those challenges and losses. There's no TV stations or interviews, no hype at all really. They are not worried about how many yards/tackles each has....Unselfish players, all of them. They got a taste of a loss early in the season and in district, and they don't like it.

This playoff run for this 08 team is "extra gravy on a biscuit". They have far surpassed what anyone thought they could achieve. I'm so glad that I was able watch this group of young men grow up. They don't have what you would draw up on paper for a perfect playoff team but they have the intangible desire that you can't put your finger on and it is something special.

Electus Unus
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I think Abilene Wylie, Liberty Hill, Celina, Cuero, and Gilmer all rank ahead of Giddings for the decade.

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
the 98 semifinalist and 01 semifinalist would be a great game. Both had huge lines, good backs and more than substantial pass games. I would say that the 98 defense beat the 01 defense, so I go with them.

Buffgal, you are a little unfair and off on the past 3 years, but you have that right to be biased to your boys. They were extremely tested and beat many good teams. LH won the state title the year they beat us, and the 2 years WOS beat us they were loaded with extreme talent. We gave them all they wanted last year w/o fritzhenry too.

With that being said, the 08 boys need to take care of business this year and go where no one has gone from here in a long time. They are extremely talented, and have plenty of fight to win this game. Go Buffs.

48minutes
12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal

06 & 07 had a good team that relied on a few extremely talented athletes on the offense and defense. I also think those 10-0 season were fun to watch but the team didn't know how to persevere through injuries or a tough game. They were not tested until it was too late, a playoff game where it was do or die. I think the coaches faltered along with the team when unexpectedly faced with "Well, what are we going to do now?" scenarios. It's hard to adjust during halftime for players and coaches when you have relied on one or two for the big plays for the whole year.

2008 Team-No stars, undersized for the most part and definitely inexperienced at many positions. They doubted their ability to live up to the tremendous athletes that had gone before. The biggest thing about this team is that they have struggled against some powerhouse teams, they have played like a bad blooper movie against some, they have had to step into other spots on the team because of injuries but they have gotten stronger together because of those challenges and losses. There's no TV stations or interviews, no hype at all really. They are not worried about how many yards/tackles each has....Unselfish players, all of them. They got a taste of a loss early in the season and in district, and they don't like it.

This playoff run for this 08 team is "extra gravy on a biscuit". They have far surpassed what anyone thought they could achieve. I'm so glad that I was able watch this group of young men grow up. They don't have what you would draw up on paper for a perfect playoff team but they have the intangible desire that you can't put your finger on and it is something special.

06 and 07 teams would do anything to have played in this region, has nothing do with not being challenged, flying under the radar, or having unselfish players.

The Giddings Team that lost to State Champs LH would give this years buffs far more than they could handle, thats a guarantee.

It is what is though, and I hope the Buffalos come out and give carthage all they got saturday.

Old Dog
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
The proof is in the final product.......................being from Burnet, I can say that! The truth is very hard to swallow sometimes.

I really hope this year turns out good for the Buffs.

Pudlugger
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Well I have seen every Giddings v La Grange football game since 1999. In my opinion the 2006 team was the best. The 2001 team was also incredible losing only twice to ....La Grange! [The Leps lost in State to Commerce after taking an early victory lap over beating the Buffs in the semis. Everyone thought that the Buffs were destined to win state that year and when the Leps managed to win the rematch in the AstroDome they got a bad case of big helmet syndrome. Commerce took advantage of seven turnovers to win the title 14-11.]

The 2006 Buffs were just an amazingly good football team and ran into some bad luck and injury bug in the critical point in the playoffs. In addition to talent and coaching you need some luck too to win state. This 2008 team has demonstrated the ability to recover from adversity and show consistent improvement from one game to the next. I don't think they have played their best game yet and are capable of winning it all if they continue to focus and bear down on their opponent. Who knows they may be the best of the bunch when all is said and done.

Come on
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Loose to LH!

BLUE 200!

48minutes
12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
The proof is in the final product.......................being from Burnet, I can say that! The truth is very hard to swallow sometimes.

I really hope this year turns out good for the Buffs.

Correct, and the truth is that West Orange Stark, Liberty Hill, and La Vega are better than Sweeny, Yoakum and Rio Hondo. nm

Milk That Cow
12-10-2008, 04:37 PM
That '06 Team was Loaded and would be a very heavy favorite against the '08 team...

The '06 Playoff Opponents vs. the '08 Playoff Opponents is like the Big 12 South vs. Sun Belt...

WOS, LaVega, and Liberty Hill was murderous row...

Does my memory serve me correct in saying the '98 and '01 Semi-Finalists also went through Region 4 as well....

buffalo2006
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Ive seen every Giddings game since 96' and the 01' was the most talented but had to play La Grange that had a massive line with the Schramm's (Lance, Lane, Andy), the 06' team had alot of talent but couldnt overcome the injuries against Liberty Hill.

Maroon87
12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
From what I saw last week, Giddings just needs to hang on to the ball. You can't usually turn the ball over 4 times and win a game at this level.

44INAROW
12-10-2008, 04:57 PM

Does my memory serve me correct in saying the '98 and '01 Semi-Finalists also went through Region 4 as well....

1998 - Cuero vs Giddings - Alamodome

Cuero 13
Giddings 10

I don't recall who played in 2001 - we didn't make the playoffs :(

buffalo2006
12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Giddings couldn't overcome the injury that Proske suffered in the game against Cuero in 98' but yea that was a good game

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
both 98 and 01 were out of region 3. We played Cuero from region 4 and LG from region 4 in those semifinals.

It wasn't the injury to proske that lost that game, you don't know what you are talking about. That happened late in the game. It was the pass interference calls in the last drive of the game that won it for a very good cuero team. Now, granted, the state game wouldn't have been fun w/o proske.

10 points were all we could put up on cuero with proske in most of that game. But that defense is the best giddings has ever had, and they really should have held cuero to 6 instead of 13. Those calls were tough on 3rd and long and 4th and long to help cuero continue the game winning drive at the end of the game.

buff4life
12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I think Abilene Wylie, Liberty Hill, Celina, Cuero, and Gilmer all rank ahead of Giddings for the decade.

were those teams formed in the city limites of Giddings? thats what this thread is about Giddings teams only

Pudlugger
12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
Ive seen every Giddings game since 96' and the 01' was the most talented but had to play La Grange that had a massive line with the Schramm's (Lance, Lane, Andy), the 06' team had alot of talent but couldnt overcome the injuries against Liberty Hill.

Yes the Leps had a huge O line and, in addition to the Schramm's, they had first team all state left guard Josh Chovanec 6' 290 power lifter and TE Mo Bauldwin 6'4" 245. Josh went on to LA State and was an NCAA standout in Power Lifting and Mo went to TCU and played DT on the Tye Gunn teams of 2003-2006. They had 23 seniors back from the 2000 State Champion season as well.

That Giddings /La Grange Semi final in 2001 was one heck of a football game. Smash mouth on both sides of the ball 110% for 48 minutes. Good luck Buffs I hope you stomp a mud hole into that field and go to State!

Pudlugger
12-10-2008, 06:05 PM

No they don't. Maybe LH and Celina but Cuero and Gilmer, no.

buffalo2006
12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
[B Now, granted, the state game wouldn't have been fun w/o proske.

[/B]

Who did Cuero play in state that year?

kepdawg
12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger

Not that this is what this thread was intended for, but are you serious?

Pudlugger
12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Not that this is what this thread was intended for, but are you serious?

Giddings has performed in this decade as well or better than Gilmer and Cuero. I'll stand by my statement.

WOS87
12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
My money would be on the '06 team...

Necks_Fan
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 48minutes
Correct, and the truth is that West Orange Stark, Liberty Hill, and La Vega are better than Sweeny, Yoakum and Rio Hondo. nm They're better than Giddings too.

buff4life
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
They're better than Giddings too.

fyi in the year we're talking about two out of three of them weren't

Necks_Fan
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
fyi in the year we're talking about two out of three of them weren't Well, did Giddings not play Sweeny, Yoakum, and RH THIS season?

Be thankful sweeny didn;t have their starting RB and played nearly the whole game w/o their QB.

Would have been alot different had they been healthy.

buff4life
12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, did Giddings not play Sweeny, Yoakum, and RH THIS season?

Be thankful sweeny didn;t have their starting RB and played nearly the whole game w/o their QB.

Would have been alot different had they been healthy.

would it have really been 30 points different??? NO

Necks_Fan
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
would it have really been 30 points different??? NO Lol. Take the starting RB AND QB out of any team and their O is dead.

When they can;t score, means D is on the field more and more opportunity for Giddings O.

Put both of them in there, and they score more and Giddings scores less.

Enough to win? maybe

Think about it. The whole team got down in the dumps when both of their 2 offensive weapons were unable to go.

The team would have atleast had a fire under their a$$ if they had an offense that would have been able to score a bit that night.

44INAROW
12-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Who did Cuero play in state that year?

you talking about 98? If so, it was Aledo.. close game - I don't recall the score but maybe it was 13 to 10 (not sure on that though)

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Lol. Take the starting RB AND QB out of any team and their O is dead.

When they can;t score, means D is on the field more and more opportunity for Giddings O.

Put both of them in there, and they score more and Giddings scores less.

Enough to win? maybe

Think about it. The whole team got down in the dumps when both of their 2 offensive weapons were unable to go.

The team would have atleast had a fire under their a$$ if they had an offense that would have been able to score a bit that night.

Necks, I usually am okay with what you say, and I don't have to be so that is fine. But you are crazier than some make you out to be if you think sweeney could beat giddings this year. Is it not proof enough that our district swept that district in the playoffs, and two of our teams met in the regional finals.

gobbler grad
12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you talking about 98? If so, it was Aledo.. close game - I don't recall the score but maybe it was 13 to 10 (not sure on that though)

14-7...almost sure...but, could be wrong:thinking:

ok, 13-10...thanks wos87

WOS87
12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Just for reference

:)

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/g/giddings.gif

Necks_Fan
12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Necks, I usually am okay with what you say, and I don't have to be so that is fine. But you are crazier than some make you out to be if you think sweeney could beat giddings this year. Is it not proof enough that our district swept that district in the playoffs, and two of our teams met in the regional finals. Look, Sweeny had the best chance to win being district champs and all.

All I'm saying is that it would have been a hell of a lot closer had their 2 best players been able to go.

I DO think a Sweeny team at full strength could possibly have beaten Giddings, but it's a thing of the past.
No worries man.... Just would have atleast had a chance is my point.

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Look, Sweeny had the best chance to win being district champs and all.

All I'm saying is that it would have been a hell of a lot closer had their 2 best players been able to go.

I DO think a Sweeny team at full strength could possibly have beaten Giddings, but it's a thing of the past.

It would have been a better game not doubt. But our defense started playing really good football a couple weeks before that game, and they were flying and hitting that night.

zebrablue2
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Look, Sweeny had the best chance to win being district champs and all.

there would have been no chance, believe me..

TRENCHES06
12-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Region IV=easy. But good job getting to the semi finals.

Panther One
12-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger

I apologize for deviating from the intended subject but this is wrong.

Consider this:

1999-Present

Giddings: 85-37
Cuero : 99-26 (One state runner-up)
Gilmer: 102-22 (One state title & one state runner-up)

If you want to include 1998...

Giddings: 95-41
Cuero : 110-30 (Two state runner-ups)
Gilmer: 107-27 (One state title & one state runner-up)

WOS87
12-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
I apologize for deviating from the intended subject but this is wrong.

Consider this:

1999-Present

Giddings: 85-37
Cuero : 99-26 (One state runner-up)
Gilmer: 102-22 (One state title & one state runner-up)

If you want to include 1998...

Giddings: 95-41
Cuero : 110-30 (Two state runner-ups)
Gilmer: 107-27 (One state title & one state runner-up)

Ahem... if you're gonna go back that far:

West Orange-Stark since 1998: 104-22-0 (One 4A State Runnerup)

That's fewer losses and a higher winning percentage than any of the above

wimbo_pro
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Many of us, watching from the sidelines, have doubts about Giddings this year...some would say you are already in over your heads. But win this game...a HUGE game....and heads will turn. Just get it done, no bravado, no bragging like the other threads...just get it done, and we will take notice. Good luck!

Panther One
12-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Ahem... if you're gonna go back that far:

West Orange-Stark since 1998: 104-22-0 (One 4A State Runnerup)

That's fewer losses and a higher winning percentage than any of the above
Sorry...I just used the ones that were previously mentioned.

buff4life
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Region IV=easy. But good job getting to the semi finals.

dude quit being jealous and for crying out loud your IN region IV

buff4life
12-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Sorry...I just used the ones that were previously mentioned.

if we were to throw out LH's state titles not their record just the fact that they won state titles what would their record be since then???

IHStangFan
12-11-2008, 01:48 AM
I think Abilene Wylie, Liberty Hill, Celina, Cuero, and Gilmer all rank ahead of Giddings for the decade. I think you misunderstood the question...I think he was asking if this team is the best team Giddings has fielded this decade. I don't think he was comparing them to anyone but other Giddings teams of the past.

ronwx5x
12-11-2008, 08:59 AM

And this has nothing to do with the intent of this thread.

Panther One
12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
if we were to throw out LH's state titles not their record just the fact that they won state titles what would their record be since then???

95-32. The 10-20 from 1999-01 brings it down a little.

buff4life
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
i figured those early years might thanks

pirate4state
12-11-2008, 02:27 PM
dude quit being jealous and for crying out loud your IN region IV
haha "for crying out loud" :D :D

buffalo2006
12-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I know this may sound bias but the 2005 team was pretty talented with the junior and sophmores. We only lost 3 games Cameron, Hutto, WO-S. The teams we played in playoffs had a combined record of 28-2 the 06' team had a good challenge also in playoffs with their opponents combined record of 35-5 with two undefeated teams, the 07 team played combine 16-4. The 01' team was good but the teams they played in playoffs we're a combined 36-14. I know that its a whole new season when playoffs begin but the opponents that everyone plays is not always on the same level.
So I guess depends on what we are basing our subject on if it is talent, size, speed or team play.
I my eyes the talent would be a toss up of the 01' and 06' teams, size 01' or 98' , speed 06' and some of 05'(not me though), and team play would be this years team after no body ever gave them their own identity following after the 07' team.

Either way Go Buffs!!!!

Necks_Fan
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
there would have been no chance, believe me.. Ok. I guess I'll just take your word for it.

Ya know, since a QB and RB have nothing to do with a team.

48minutes
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Ya know, since a QB and RB have nothing to do with a team.

Not enough for Sweeny to win that game, sorry.

shamu85
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I keep seeing references to the injuries against LH in '06. If any of you are referring to Fitzhenry's injury right before half on a dubious kickoff return team play (what was he doing on return team?), I call that a bogus argument. LH was totally dominating Giddings WHILE Fitzhenry was playing. Only when the backup came in did it get closer. Fitzhenry's injury was NOT the deciding factor in that game at all.

48minutes
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
I keep seeing references to the injuries against LH in '06. If any of you are referring to Fitzhenry's injury right before half on a dubious kickoff return team play (what was he doing on return team?), I call that a bogus argument. LH was totally dominating Giddings WHILE Fitzhenry was playing. Only when the backup came in did it get closer. Fitzhenry's injury was NOT the deciding factor in that game at all.

I may be wrong but I think they were refering to the game in 98 agains Quero. Not sure though...

buff4ever
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by shamu85

I don't think that is completely what others are talking about. The fullback (Jarmin) being hobbled with an ankle was far more important to our offense that year.

buffalo2006
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
I was talking about the 98' team when Proske was hurt, but regardless every team has nicks and bruises its just a matter of how your team handles them. This late in the season they have been playing/practicing football for 5 months for every week.

BOCEPHUS
12-12-2008, 06:49 AM
WELL BY GAWD I JUST LEAND'T SUMTHEN:

I THOUGHT A 'WAO' MENT--WE ARE ONE

JUST SEE'NT ON TV LAST NITE THAT WUZ RONG ALL THIS HERE TIME.

"WIDE @SS OPEN"

AS FER AS WHICH TEAM FER GIDDINGS WAS BEST............IS ALL RELATIVE, Y'ALL JUST BE HUNT'N SUMTHEN TO YAP BOUT. SPEK'EN OF HUNT'N ANYBODY OUT THERE GIVE ME ONE OF THER DEER TAGS, AM RUNN'N LOW----------AND SPOTLITE KEEPS SHORT'N OUT

GUESS'N Y'ALL BE ONE HERE BOUT THIS TIME NEXT YEAR SAYING THE SAME BLAH BLAH................

1st and goal
12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS

AS FER AS WHICH TEAM FER GIDDINGS WAS BEST............IS ALL RELATIVE, Y'ALL JUST BE HUNT'N SUMTHEN TO YAP BOUT. SPEK'EN OF HUNT'N ANYBODY OUT THERE GIVE ME ONE OF THER DEER TAGS, AM RUNN'N LOW----------AND SPOTLITE KEEPS SHORT'N OUT

HOWABOUT A TRADE, TAG FER SUM SMOKD POAK N DEER SAUSAGE?

SIGNED,
TOO LAZY TO HUNT FER NOW, DUN GOT TIRED CHOPP'N FARWOOD

Darren
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I know this may sound bias but the 2005 team was pretty talented with the junior and sophmores. We only lost 3 games Cameron, Hutto, WO-S. The teams we played in playoffs had a combined record of 28-2 the 06' team had a good challenge also in playoffs with their opponents combined record of 35-5 with two undefeated teams, the 07 team played combine 16-4. The 01' team was good but the teams they played in playoffs we're a combined 36-14. I know that its a whole new season when playoffs begin but the opponents that everyone plays is not always on the same level.
So I guess depends on what we are basing our subject on if it is talent, size, speed or team play.
I my eyes the talent would be a toss up of the 01' and 06' teams, size 01' or 98' , speed 06' and some of 05'(not me though), and team play would be this years team after no body ever gave them their own identity following after the 07' team.

Que?

Either way Go Buffs!!!!

Darren
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I cant post with this dang phone.

I'm going to have to say the 98 team was the best team. The 05 team would probably rank 3rd or 4th in the last decade in my book.

sabre1
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
That '06 Team was Loaded and would be a very heavy favorite against the '08 team...

The '06 Playoff Opponents vs. the '08 Playoff Opponents is like the Big 12 South vs. Sun Belt...

WOS, LaVega, and Liberty Hill was murderous row...

98 may have been region 4 but in 01 Giddings went through region 3.

44INAROW
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by sabre1
I might be misunderstanding what you're saying - but wasn't Giddings in Reg III in 1998?

buff4ever
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by sabre1

I already posted this, but it was region 3 both years. In 98 we played Cuero from Region 4 in the semifinals.

strosfan
12-12-2008, 05:23 PM
In my opinion the 98 team was the best overall b/c of their defense - they had good offense too. But 01 was a better offense. I liked that 01 offensive line and the balance of run and pass. 05,06,07,& 08 also very good teams. I think we have the best shot at state since 01- just my opinion. Good luck Buffaloes.