PDA

View Full Version : Rangers trade Gerald Laird to Detroit

kepdawg
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
For minor league pitchers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo.

LINK (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3705670&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex)

coach
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
they also traded wes litleton earlier in the year

Sweetwater Red
12-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
For minor league pitchers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo.

LINK (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3705670&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex)

Great! I guess I can give up on them landing Varitek.:mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
it won't be long before they deal those two pitchers for a out of his prime pitcher.

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Great! I guess I can give up on them landing Varitek.:mad:

Laird is a better catcher right now than Varitek. I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with what the Tigers have in Laird. When given the chance to play every day, he's been a .290 hitter, but the Rangers always had another catcher that they wanted to play, and every time they promised Laird the job, they took it from him.

Laird is probably top 5 in the league right now defensively on throwing out runners.

Macarthur
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Really disappointed in what they got for Laird. These kids are a minimum of 2 years away from contributing.

This looks like nothing but a salary dump.

GreenMonster
12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Really disappointed in what they got for Laird. These kids are a minimum of 2 years away from contributing.

This looks like nothing but a salary dump. This is a salary dump. The Rangers think Salty is the real deal and want him to be the starter. Get rid of Laird and sign some Joe Blow to be Salty's backup for cheap.

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM

This looks like nothing but a salary dump.

They met in private with Ben Sheets and his agent yesterday. Mike Maddux, who has been Sheets' pitching coach for the last few years, is now the Rangers pitching coach. Rumors are that the Rangers are looking to deal either Millwood or Padilla (for more minor league pitchers or a 3rd baseman) and then sign Sheets with the newly-freed up $17 million or so.

Macarthur
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
It would be huge if we could get sheets.

Here's my problem with that scenario. Who's going to be your #2 & #3 starters. You can't just go out and get a stud #1 and have crap behind him.

Millwood would be a solid #2 and Padilla would be a solid #3, McCarthy #4, etc.

Sheets pushing eveyone back a level in the rotation is what needs to happen.

I think you only get marginally better if you sign sheets and dump either of those guys. It's not just about going and gettting an ace. You have to build a staff.

I supose I could live with dumping padilla because he's a nut, but I think you need to keep Millwood.

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
It would be huge if we could get sheets.

Here's my problem with that scenario. Who's going to be your #2 & #3 starters. You can't just go out and get a stud #1 and have crap behind him.

Millwood would be a solid #2 and Padilla would be a solid #3, McCarthy #4, etc.

Sheets pushing eveyone back a level in the rotation is what needs to happen.

I think you only get marginally better if you sign sheets and dump either of those guys. It's not just about going and gettting an ace. You have to build a staff.

I supose I could live with dumping padilla because he's a nut, but I think you need to keep Millwood.

In that scenario, either Millwood or Padilla would be your #2...both would be about league average as a #2. #3 probably goes to Matt Harrison, who tied a Rangers record for wins by a rookie despite only being up for about two months (he's from the Braves organization...I'll take my chances).

#4-5 is where it gets shaky...Scott Feldman, Brandon McCarthy, Eric Hurley, Josh Rupe, C.J. Wilson, Dustin Nippert, Kason Gabbard, and Luis Mendoza could all fight for the last two spots (Wilson only if Fransisco ends up as closer). The Rangers have also said they're interested in pursuing a guy who's coming off of injury and would have low value (a la Jason Jennings, although that didn't work out). I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in a Freddy Garcia-type pitcher.

A Sheets signing wouldn't necessarily be looking at next year as much as 2010, when Hurley and Harrison should be expected to be legitimate middle-of-the-rotation starters, and then you've got guys like Derek Holland and Neftali Feliz knocking on the door.

eagles_victory
12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Laird is a better catcher right now than Varitek. I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with what the Tigers have in Laird. When given the chance to play every day, he's been a .290 hitter, but the Rangers always had another catcher that they wanted to play, and every time they promised Laird the job, they took it from him.

Laird is probably top 5 in the league right now defensively on throwing out runners. Your right Tek is close to being done. Thing about Laird is he hits as well as most catchers great defensive player and one of the fastest catchers in the league not a base clogger like some. I think if you rank MLB catchers on hitting, running, and defense Laird is at least top ten in all categories.

Do you think they want to push Salty as catcher? Or do you think there gonna still have him play some first and go with Rameriz and Teagarden?

Id probably say Salt might catch since they brough Blalock back him and Davis will probably be the corner outfielders.

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Your right Tek is close to being done. Thing about Laird is he hits as well as most catchers great defensive player and one of the fastest catchers in the league not a base clogger like some. I think if you rank MLB catchers on hitting, running, and defense Laird is at least top ten in all categories.

Do you think they want to push Salty as catcher? Or do you think there gonna still have him play some first and go with Rameriz and Teagarden?

Id probably say Salt might catch since they brough Blalock back him and Davis will probably be the corner outfielders.

From what I'm hearing, Salty will be the Red Sox catcher in a week or so.

Teagarden is the guy that the team really wants to use, with Ramirez serving as a backup capable of playing 1st base and DH to get more at-bats...think along the lines of what the Twins did with Matt LeCroy a few years back...a good bat that you want in your lineup, but not overly good defensively anywhere.

Bearkat
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Any idea on what the RANGERS may get in return for Salty if they do trade him to the redsox?

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Any idea on what the RANGERS may get in return for Salty if they do trade him to the redsox?

They'll only do the trade if they get Clay Bucholz...the Rangers will most likely have to include a Class A pitcher to get the deal done.

Keith7
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
A good hot stove league site is www.mlbtraderumors.com

They have updates by the hour and do really good research.. They beat the heck out of espn insider rumors

Macarthur
12-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
From what I'm hearing, Salty will be the Red Sox catcher in a week or so.

Teagarden is the guy that the team really wants to use, with Ramirez serving as a backup capable of playing 1st base and DH to get more at-bats...think along the lines of what the Twins did with Matt LeCroy a few years back...a good bat that you want in your lineup, but not overly good defensively anywhere.

I like this idea quite a bit and Bucholtz was the name that popped into my mind. I would do this in a heartbeat.

Also, I like the idea of Teagarden being the main guy. He should be an above average defensive catcher. Salty would be better offensively, but I think Salty is going to be a below average defensive catcher, especially throwing out runners.

As for the pitching, I'm okay with your above scenario if we can move Padilla and keep Millwood. Frankly, Hicks should just freaking do it regardless of the Millwood & Padilla. I'm so tired of this organization acting like a small market franchise.

Necks_Fan
12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
The Astros should try to get Max Ramirez. He killed Houston when the Rangers came to town.

Looked like he has a bright future.

What do the Rangers think about him? Catcher of the future maybe?

Macarthur
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
The Astros should try to get Max Ramirez. He killed Houston when the Rangers came to town.

Looked like he has a bright future.

What do the Rangers think about him? Catcher of the future maybe?

I think the Rangers like his potential at the plate. I don't think they view him as a strong defensive prospect like they do Teagarden.