PDA

View Full Version : Mabank's Cedar Creek Lake Shootout

JR2004
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I really don't know why we went down there in the first place, but I think it's pretty safe to say we'll (Madison) never be a part of that tournament ever again.

Maximus
12-08-2008, 05:43 PM
What happened?

Emerson1
12-08-2008, 05:44 PM
From what I hear Mabank isn't to fond of the type of players you might find on a Madison basketball team

JR2004
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
From what I hear Mabank isn't to fond of the type of players you might find on a Madison basketball team

I was hoping this had changed, but it hasn't.

I was really surprised to see us, A. Maceo and Velt head down there. Well maybe not so much on Velt I guess since Coach Hill is from Athens. I'm guessing he probably got us into the tournament.

Emerson1
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
What happened?

This would be the second time the Mabank Klansmen had something happen this year. The first was a brawl with Terrell

Maximus
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Stupidity is rampant in rural Kaufman County.

JR2004
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
We had THREE technicals called on us in the semi-final game against Mabank. I haven't seen us get as much as one technical in a game in I don't know how long. Mabank's best player, Kolton Browning, shot at least 20 free throws. I forgot to ask our assistant on the total amount he shot, but I quit counting at 20. Thank goodness he shoots about the same percentage as Shaq or we get blown away.

Anyhow end of the game we have a three point lead and get a steal to end it. We go to shake hands (you know pretty customary stuff here after a game.) and the two police officers from Mabank standing on our side head to center court and stand between the two teams. Our head coach attempted to go shake hands with Mabank's coach and he just looked at him and walked away. We've had some heated games before, but this wasn't one of them. Our players walked right up to mid-court to shake hands, but the officers sent them back to the bench. It was a highly competitive game, but no one on either team ever lost their temper. Maybe our players and coaches have some rare disease I don't know about to where you can't shake hands with them.

We've had problems down that way before so that's why I was surprised we made the trip down there. In 2003 when our football team played down that way, against a team I'll leave out of this, the announcer for them said a few things over the PA during the game that won't be repeated here. I do remember that the following Monday that Coach Johnson (head football coach) and Coach Kidd (Head bball coach and AD at the time.) filed a report with the UIL about the derogatory comments made.

eagles_victory
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
We had THREE technicals called on us in the semi-final game against Mabank. I haven't seen us get as much as one technical in a game in I don't know how long. Mabank's best player, Kolton Browning, shot at least 20 free throws. I forgot to ask our assistant on the total amount he shot, but I quit counting at 20. Thank goodness he shoots about the same percentage as Shaq or we get blown away.

Anyhow end of the game we have a three point lead and get a steal to end it. We go to shake hands (you know pretty customary stuff here after a game.) and the two police officers from Mabank standing on our side head to center court and stand between the two teams. Our head coach attempted to go shake hands with Mabank's coach and he just looked at him and walked away. We've had some heated games before, but this wasn't one of them. Our players walked right up to mid-court to shake hands, but the officers sent them back to the bench. It was a highly competitive game, but no one on either team ever lost their temper. Maybe our players and coaches have some rare disease I don't know about to where you can't shake hands with them.

We've had problems down that way before so that's why I was surprised we made the trip down there. In 2003 when our football team played down that way, against a team I'll leave out of this, the announcer for them said a few things over the PA during the game that won't be repeated here. I do remember that the following Monday that Coach Johnson (head football coach) and Coach Kidd (Head bball coach and AD at the time.) filed a report with the UIL about the derogatory comments made. They have there own officiating chapter so they usually get a lot of calls like that. Did yall end up winning the tournament?

mwynn05
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
They have there own officiating chapter so they usually get a lot of calls like that. Did yall end up winning the tournament? Didn't yall have a lot of pretty bad calls when yall played there your sr year

eagles_victory
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Didn't yall have a lot of pretty bad calls when yall played there your sr year I don't really remember all I remember is we jumped out to a big lead and held on at the end. I dont think it was that bad that night though.

Emerson1
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Jason loves kaufman country referees

JR2004
12-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
They have there own officiating chapter so they usually get a lot of calls like that. Did yall end up winning the tournament?

No we lost in the final to Rockwall 59-56 and had the same three officials. I would guess that might not be out of the norm though for a tournament to just have the same officials do most of the games.

I wasn't able to go back down there on Saturday, but I called one of our fans and one of our assistants and they both gave the same story. We had a one point lead and there was a loose ball. Several players dove for it and they called a foul on our SG, Dominique Smith. Dominique turned to our bench and said "Man!" to no one in particular and that was enough to get a tech apparently. A one point lead turned into a three point deficit on the ensuing four free throws and that was that.

I believe the 4th quarter free throw discrepancy was 18-4 for Rockwall which is pretty ridiculous since they have just one player who tries to get to the rack. We have several guys who are pretty aggressive on getting to the rim, but I wasn't surprised to hear that Rockwall shot that many free throws down the stretch after what I saw Friday night from the same officials. Had we just played Rockwall up here in Dallas it's not a contest. I saw Rockwall against Velt and there's no way that team gives us a good game under normal circumstances. I kinda felt we'd lose to Rockwall down there after the ridiculous crap from Friday, but oh well. Hopefully now that our head coach has seen firsthand what happens when you travel down that way for a game or tournament, he won't schedule us to head back ever again.

Buckeye80
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

We've had problems down that way before so that's why I was surprised we made the trip down there. In 2003 when our football team played down that way, against a team I'll leave out of this, the announcer for them said a few things over the PA during the game that won't be repeated here.

Who on earth could you possibly be talking about?