PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear the Big 12 commissioner?

JasperDog94
12-08-2008, 09:33 AM
He said he didn't want to go to a playoff system because he didn't want to get 10 years down the road and realize that there was no longer any interest in the regular season.

WHAT???:confused: :confused: :confused:

If I didn't know better I would think he was making a joke. You go tell all those folks at regular season basketball games that the regular season doesn't matter. This has got to be the most idiotic argument against a playoffs....ever.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LHexPlayer
12-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
He said he didn't want to go to a playoff system because he didn't want to get 10 years down the road and realize that there was no longer any interest in the regular season.

If I didn't know better I would think he was making a joke. You go tell all those folks at regular season basketball games that the regular season doesn't matter. This has got to be the most idiotic argument against a playoffs....ever.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep the excuses get more and more full of crap every time. It's crazy not to do a playoff system. I personally love the college class finals excuse. Although it doesn't seem to hurt basketball while they are playing tournaments in Maui or in Alaska. When will they ever learn?

eagles_victory
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

If I didn't know better I would think he was making a joke. You go tell all those folks at regular season basketball games that the regular season doesn't matter. This has got to be the most idiotic argument against a playoffs....ever.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Actually college basketball does have a reputation of being a 5 week sport.

sahen
12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Yep the excuses get more and more full of crap every time. It's crazy not to do a playoff system. I personally love the college class finals excuse. Although it doesn't seem to hurt basketball while they are playing tournaments in Maui or in Alaska. When will they ever learn?

dont even worry about comparing to basketball cause some people will always say march is all that matters....all you have to do is say for the finals excuse that every other football division plays a playoffs and it doesnt seem to hurt their players in finals....

if you have a playoff for only 8 or even 16 spots the regular season will still stay important, you have few teams out of 119 going to the postseason so every week will still matter when you factor in seeding and autobids.....true, the national championship wont be directly effected by the outcome of a game in september, but is that really bad? do we want the national title to be determined by what happened in september or october? the amount of interest a football playoff would create would trump the amount they would lose in the regular season....plus, you cant convince me that they would lose that much interest, we are a football nation, if the playoff was a bad idea then the NFL wouldnt be playing one...

ziggy29
12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I personally love the college class finals excuse. Although it doesn't seem to hurt basketball while they are playing tournaments in Maui or in Alaska. When will they ever learn? [/B]
Doesn't seem to hurt D-1AA, D2 or D3 football, either -- including the Ivy League.

eagles_victory
12-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
. Although it doesn't seem to hurt basketball while they are playing tournaments in Maui or in Alaska. When will they ever learn? Those tournaments are late November that isnt finals week.

Originally posted by ziggy29
Doesn't seem to hurt D-1AA, D2 or D3 football, either -- including the Ivy League. Ivy League teams dont ever play in the FCS playoffs.

JasperDog94
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Actually college basketball does have a reputation of being a 5 week sport. Tell that to the sold out arenas throughout the year. There is no doubt there is more excitement during march madness, but that doesn't diminish the excitement during the regular season. The Texas/UCLA game was a prime example.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
This argument has ALWAYS been BS

basketball regular season is pointless because of the conference tournaments..A team can go 15-15 and still get in with a conference tourney win.

That would not happen in football...If it was a 16 team tournament you still would have HUGE regular season games.

Plus this season showed the whole..on the field regular season decides it which makes it important is simply not true

That only happens if we have two undefeated teams...if we have what we have now a bunch of one loss teams then it is NOT decided on the field because each team having one loss means for one game those teams did not "take care of their own buisness"

Phil C
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
He is just a tool of the university presidents who are afraid to try a real playoff system for obviously reason$. They just don't have the vision that a playoff system will work with the top 16 teams and the bowls could be used for it and that others outside the top 16 could still make bowl games. It will probably take the second generation of presidents from now to work toward that goal if they don't sell out too.

Keith7
12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Doesn't seem to hurt D-1AA, D2 or D3 football, either -- including the Ivy League.

Yea look at the high ratings / attendance those bring in during the regular season!

Phil C
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
His argument was the same as Notre Dame refusing to play in a bowl game for 45 years between 1925 and 1970. In 1925 after the Rose Bowl the team was late getting back to campus because of bad train schedule mess ups. ND decided it wasn't worth the problems and decided not to play in bowl games and used that as an excuse. The joke when they finally decided to participate in bowls was that it took Notre Dame 45 years to discover the airplane. :)

DDBooger
12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
This argument has ALWAYS been BS

basketball regular season is pointless because of the conference tournaments..A team can go 15-15 and still get in with a conference tourney win.

That would not happen in football...If it was a 16 team tournament you still would have HUGE regular season games.

Plus this season showed the whole..on the field regular season decides it which makes it important is simply not true

That only happens if we have two undefeated teams...if we have what we have now a bunch of one loss teams then it is NOT decided on the field because each team having one loss means for one game those teams did not "take care of their own buisness"
pragmatic as always:clap:

cshscougar08
12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Some people don't seem to understand that no one wants to get rid of the bowl games. When we scream for a playoff, we're not screaming for all 119 teams to be involved. You're right, in that case the regular season would have no meaning because everyone would qualify for the playoffs. But that's just plain idiotic as well. Keep the bowls. Take the BCS bowls and use them as the playoff games. It's pretty simple to me. But obviously there are bigger issues (or so they say) such as money and things like that. Geez. :rolleyes:

eagles_victory
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Some people don't seem to understand that no one wants to get rid of the bowl games. When we scream for a playoff, we're not screaming for all 119 teams to be involved. You're right, in that case the regular season would have no meaning because everyone would qualify for the playoffs. But that's just plain idiotic as well. Keep the bowls. Take the BCS bowls and use them as the playoff games. It's pretty simple to me. But obviously there are bigger issues (or so they say) such as money and things like that. Geez. :rolleyes: You go to OU why do you want a playoff yall always come out on top of the whole BCS thing :D

sahen
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Yea look at the high ratings / attendance those bring in during the regular season!

thats because its D1-AA, D2, and D3...D2 and D3 have horrible basketball ratings compared to D1 and they use similar systems to crown their national champs...it'd be the same for football...

Emerson1
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
The NFL has a playoff and is the most popular non soccer league in the world. Plenty of people pay attention all during the regular season.

The regular season is already pointless because only the last 3 weeks matter

cshscougar08
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
You go to OU why do you want a playoff yall always come out on top of the whole BCS thing :D

Haha. Cause I'm first a fan of the game and THEN a Sooner. I know Texas got screwed. I know the BCS sucks. It needs to be changed. Plus, think of the matchups that could occur with a playoff. It would be like having 8 national championships!

Maroon87
12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
You want to hit the BCS where it hurts most? Don't watch the games. I know..highly unlikely, but if viewership drops off and sponsors bail,especially in this economy, then somebody with some clout might actually smarten up.

Necks_Fan
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I saw on eSPN last night, some guy was saying what College football won;t have a playoff for some reasons that made 0 sense.

He's a moron.

And... I agree with that Emerson said.

OrangeChamps
12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
The Big XII Comissioner along with anyone else who believes the BCS is better than a playoff system has been hitting the peace pipe a little too hard...