PDA

View Full Version : DII: STATE SEMIFINALS: REGION III Carthage Bulldogs vs. REGION IV Giddings Buffaloes

pirate4state
12-07-2008, 04:15 AM
District 18-3A & Region III Champion Carthage Bulldogs battle District 25-3A & Region IV Champion Giddings Buffaloes for the right to advance to the DII State Championship game.

The Carthage Bulldogs are 12-2 on the year having lost to 4A Kilgore in week zero & 4A Nacogdoches in week 3! Since that 3 point loss to Nac, the Bulldogs have won 11 in a row.

The offense has scored 615 points (43.9 avg) and allowed 238 (17 avg). Key players to watch: QB Si'Darius Blackshire & RB Dwight Smith. Smith might be a little banged up after tonight's game.

The Giddings Buffaloes are 11-3 on the year having lost to LH in week zero (by 2 pts), 4A Elgin (by 11 pts) & Bellville (by 6 pts). Their last loss coming on 10/17, the Buffs have won 7 straight.

The offense has scored 503 points (35.9 avg) and allowed 334 (23.8 avg). The biggest challenge for the Buffs will be protecting the ball. They had 4 turnovers in the region final game against Bellville, leading to 14 points for the Bulls.

Should be a classic game, but if the Buffs don't protect the rock and give Carthage a short field, this game will get out of hand quickly.

Predictions? Thoughts?

eagles_victory
12-07-2008, 04:20 AM
I read on another board it was at 6 Saturday night in Corsicana isnt Lh Celina there that night.

pirate4state
12-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I read on another board it was at 6 Saturday night in Corsicana isnt Lh Celina there that night. They still don't know where LH/Celina will be.

bobcat1
12-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Aw Casey and Rita talking again. :D

setxsports
12-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Carthage big!

Dieselsmoke
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Carthage keeps rollin to the title game.

Necks_Fan
12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Cathage by more than 2 TDs.

buff4life
12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
don't usually give prediction this early, but i will say no matter who wins, the game will be competitive, don't underestimate Giddings offense, especially is they can hold onto the ball...also have faith in defensive coaching staff after a week of watching film to have a good game plan prepared, Giddings defense sets up way better against the spread than the straight ahead two back offense

pirate4state
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Aw Casey and Rita talking again. :D :confused:
Casey & I have always talked, but ev's name is NOT Casey.

BobcatBenny
12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I listened to the Carthage - Gilmer game last night.

I was glad Carthage won, because I think it would have been too heart breaking for the radio guys if Gilmer had pulled it out.

But ... with that said, I think Giddings will win because Carthage is beatable. Carthage ran ot of gas in that game last night and they were very fortunate to get that INT to save the game.

setxsports
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Giddings didn't play in near as tough as a region as Carthage! Carthage big!

eagles_victory
12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

I was glad Carthage won, because I think it would have been too heart breaking for the radio guys if Gilmer had pulled it out.

But ... with that said, I think Giddings will win because Carthage is beatable. Carthage ran ot of gas in that game last night and they were very fortunate to get that INT to save the game. They didnt run of gas last night they made 2 huge turnovers when they had the chance to put the game away. Gilmer just made a run which great teams do its not like they were playing some nobodies.

IHStangFan
12-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Carthage SHOULD win this game.

Carthage 45
Giddings 28

Rocket Dad
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I have seen Carthage play Lorena and Gilmer. I would match them with any team I have seen in 3A over the last several years. I think most would agree if the Gilmer/Carthage game could have been played with both teams being perfect, Carthage wins 42-14 or so. They are that good.

Necks_Fan
12-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
I have seen Carthage play Lorena and Gilmer. I would match them with any team I have seen in 3A over the last several years. I think most would agree if the Gilmer/Carthage game could have been played with both teams being perfect, Carthage wins 42-14 or so. They are that good. Dang! I watched WO-S and Gilmer and Gilmer looked Awesome.

It's almost inconceivable that Gilmer could be that outmatched.

BrahmaMom
12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Best of luck, Giddings! You have a great team!

gobbler grad
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Dang! I watched WO-S and Gilmer and Gilmer looked Awesome.

It's almost inconceivable that Gilmer could be that outmatched.

that's what I thought about WOS...

anyway, pullin for the Buffs, but Carthage sounds way to strong...good luck to both teams and hope it's a great game...:clap:

1st and goal
12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I've typed it before, and I'll type it again.

If Giddings can hold on to the ball, they can beat any 3A team on any given night. They have the talent and tenacity.

Giddings can beat Carthage. Just need to hold on to the ball and maybe get a lucky bounce here or there. I like their chances.

Beast Fan
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

But ... with that said, I think Giddings will win because Carthage is beatable. Carthage ran ot of gas in that game last night and they were very fortunate to get that INT to save the game.

It's all pretty irrelevant the winner is a state finalist the loser is a state semi finalist. Neither team could beat LH or Celina. Why can't everyone just be happy your team made it to this point? IMO the loser walks away with fewer broken bones. Throw in the towel now, it might get ugly next week!!!!!!!!!!

BobcatBenny
12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
It's all pretty irrelevant the winner is a state finalist the loser is a state semi finalist. Neither team could beat LH or Celina. Why can't everyone just be happy your team made it to this point? IMO the loser walks away with fewer broken bones. Throw in the towel now, it might get ugly next week!!!!!!!!!!
Nice try at sarcasm, but it sort of fell a bit flat.

Mine is just an opinion. ;)

I could be wrong. It happens every now and then.

Beast Fan
12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
No sarcasm intentended Benny. Im selling the Farm to get to the LH/Celina game. We can take our BS to that thread and let these guys have a fun week before they have to meet the masters.

LHPfactory
12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Im hoping for a LH over Giddings Championship, so dont blow it Buffs.... This would make for a short drive if both win this week..... maybe to UT stadium if this game is played ;)

buff4ever
12-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I am confused, I thought if we beat bellville we got Gilmer? Atleast that is what a few GILMER posters were posting all over the downlow last week.

Carthage looks really good, Giddings will have to play error free football, and make some game changing plays on defense.

IHStangFan
12-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I am confused, I thought if we beat bellville we got Gilmer? Atleast that is what a few GILMER posters were posting all over the downlow last week. LOL!! I'm not saying anything other than...."that's funny".

BuckeyeNut
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Carthage in a close one. Smith runs very hard and O-line is big and strong.

Runnin Panther
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I would like for LH to end their season the way they started it, with a win over Giddings. So I’m pulling for the Buffs in this one.

Pawdaddy
12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I am confused, I thought if we beat bellville we got Gilmer? Atleast that is what a few GILMER posters were posting all over the downlow last week.

OK. I am here with a mouthful of crow, but will try to explain what happened Saturday night. The Buckeyes got beat by the better team. Period. The final score is not indicative of how bad it could have been. Had Carthage taken care of the ball better, it could have been real ugly. Gilmer had a shot at surviving in the end, but it did not happen. Gilmer can, and has played much better that they showed against Carthage most of the year.

Smith is a beast and I hope he is not too banged up. He left the field three times apparently shook up and did not return for the final possession. If he is healthy, he will get his 150-200 yards behind that line. He will run away from you and can run over you, although, the Buckeyes did show that he is not invincible. He was spent at the end. Some of the hits that was knocking him down in the 4th quarter would not have fazed him in the first half.

All of my chips are in, and I am putting them on Carthage. They have to win for my prediction to be right that the champion will be/or play Gilmer. Good luck to the Bulldogs.

LHS 2SONS
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Good Luck Giddings, make District 25 proud

Giddings vs Liberty Hill for state - Giddings will win

Daddy D 11
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
:lies:

Good one:rolleyes:

pirate4state
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
OK. I am here with a mouthful of crow, but will try to explain what happened Saturday night. The Buckeyes got beat by the better team. Period. The final score is not indicative of how bad it could have been. Had Carthage taken care of the ball better, it could have been real ugly. Gilmer had a shot at surviving in the end, but it did not happen. Gilmer can, and has played much better that they showed against Carthage most of the year.

Smith is a beast and I hope he is not too banged up. He left the field three times apparently shook up and did not return for the final possession. If he is healthy, he will get his 150-200 yards behind that line. He will run away from you and can run over you, although, the Buckeyes did show that he is not invincible. He was spent at the end. Some of the hits that was knocking him down in the 4th quarter would not have fazed him in the first half.

All of my chips are in, and I am putting them on Carthage. They have to win for my prediction to be right that the champion will be/or play Gilmer. Good luck to the Bulldogs. :2thumbsup

Good Luck Giddings. I was one of the ones that predicted Gilmer to be here in place of Carthage. The Bulldogs have been quietly taking care of business. We'll see if they can make it 12 in a row.

setxsports
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Carthage by 20.

Come on
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Now thats funny. I don't care who you are!

icu812
12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I went to the Carthage/Gilmer game. Carthage is the real deal this year. This is not the Carthage team that lost to LH last year (I was at that game as well). They are big, nasty and fast. I haven't seen Giddings but they will have to have an amazing team to beat Carthage. They have the most talented 3A team I've seen this year. No weakness on offense, great QB, OL, WR's and TB. Defense is fast and them boys can lay the wood. Carthage has the look of a team very capable of winning the state championship if they stay healthy.

TB #22 Dwight Smith is the best RB I've seen this year and maybe the 3rd best high school RB I've watched play the last five or so years. 1)A.Peterson 2) J. Calhoun 3) Dwight Smith. He's that good. Very physical back (maybe too physical for his own good) and very very fast (I hear in an auto time in 4.3's - I know that sounds crazy but in this case wouldn't say its not possible). An absolute Beast. He's not all they have though by a long shot.

If they don't turn the ball over and #22 and their QB stay in the game they will be hard to stop.

mistanice
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I went to the Carthage/Gilmer game. Carthage is the real deal this year. This is not the Carthage team that lost to LH last year (I was at that game as well). They are big, nasty and fast. I haven't seen Giddings but they will have to have an amazing team to beat Carthage. They have the most talented 3A team I've seen this year. No weakness on offense, great QB, OL, WR's and TB. Defense is fast and them boys can lay the wood. Carthage has the look of a team very capable of winning the state championship if they stay healthy.

TB #22 Dwight Smith is the best RB I've seen this year and maybe the 3rd best high school RB I've watched play the last five or so years. 1)A.Peterson 2) J. Calhoun 3) Dwight Smith. He's that good. Very physical back (maybe too physical for his own good) and very very fast (I hear in an auto time in 4.3's - I know that sounds crazy but in this case wouldn't say its not possible). An absolute Beast. He's not all they have though by a long shot.

If they don't turn the ball over and #22 and their QB stay in the game they will be hard to stop.

Great post, after watching them the first time in week 9 against Diboll, I was in awe with how much talent, size, depth they had. After Gilmer demolished Diboll in Bidistrict, I still believed Carthage would roll Gilmer. Saw the first half of the Gilmer/Carthage game and left at halftime because I figured Carthage would dominate the 2nd half and I was wrong. Carthage coach called a bad play while it was 1st and goal from the 5 I heard. Could have easily been 38+ - 21.

Each team that faces Carthage says they have faced a great RB before and that Smith could be stopped. I have yet to see anyone do it. Gilmer fans said Chapel Hill's Tucker was a beast and they stopped him but Smith is on another level especially with the surrounding cast he has.

Carthage's oline makes that team click.

Daddy D 11
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Last year #22 from Carthage impressed the hell out of LH fans and players. Since that game, I have said he was the best back LH faced last year, and even this year for that matter. Sounds like if LH gets to this game we will have our hands full.

mistanice
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Last year #22 from Carthage impressed the hell out of LH fans and players. Since that game, I have said he was the best back LH faced last year, and even this year for that matter. Sounds like if LH gets to this game we will have our hands full.

If im not mistaken, he wasn't playing for Carthage last year. He moved to California to live with one of his parents. He moved back over the summer.

Might be a different 22 you saw last year.

Daddy D 11
12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
If im not mistaken, he wasn't playing for Carthage last year. He moved to California to live with one of his parents. He moved back over the summer.

oh, well I know that Carthage had a #22 last year that was the real deal when we played them, hard to believe it's another kid. But you live in that area and know more than I do. I'll take your word for it over mine anyday. Either way though, if LH gets there we will beat 'em :devil:

mistanice
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
oh, well I know that Carthage had a #22 last year that was the real deal when we played them, hard to believe it's another kid. But you live in that area and know more than I do. I'll take your word for it over mine anyday. Either way though, if LH gets there we will beat 'em :devil:

Yeah just asked on a different board,

here is what they said.

he lived in carthage all the way through 10 grade. Then he moved to cali for his 11th grade year to live with his dad, then moved back for his sr year at carthage...

firstcat
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM

:spitlol: :fnypost: :taunt:

Electus Unus
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I will take Carthage in this game by 14 points at the minimum. They are bigger, faster, and more athletic than this Giddings team. Good luck to both of the teams though and may the be better team win!

waterboy
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Picture Emmit Smith with 4.3 speed, that's Dwight Smith in a nutshell. That's the comparison I was making while watching him. As for comparing him to Matthew Tucker, I'd say they are pretty close, with the difference being the offensive line they run behind. I think if Matthew Tucker would've had a line like that one he would've had much better numbers. The Carthage offensive line is big and quick with a nasty streak. They are comparable to the size of Gilmer's line last year, not quite as big but quicker. Overall, I'd say this Carthage team compares to Gilmer's team last year offensively, with the difference being a better defense than the Buckeyes had last year. The ONLY weakness I saw the other night was they turn the ball over quite a bit. I don't know what Giddings has, but I'll tell you you need to be big, fast, mean, and nasty! Oh yeah, bring band-aids, and have a doctor on standby! :D I think if I had to pick the next 3A Division II State Champion right now I would have to give the nod to Carthage. That is without having seen the Liberty Hill Panthers, who will win the other game. LH better have a team as good, if not better than last year if they are gonna 3-peat. Of course, this is all speculation because I haven't seen the other 3 teams still alive.:D

buff4life
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I will take Carthage in this game by 14 points at the minimum. They are bigger, faster, and more athletic than this Giddings team. Good luck to both of the teams though and may the be better team win!

I guarantee they are not all 3

Darren
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Posting from the deer stand. Sounds like giddings will be in for a tough one. But what do u expect this deep in the playoffs? I think if giddings takes the grease off the balls they have a good shot at winning any game. Some LH posters seem to forget their winning streak nearly ended at the hand of giddings this year. Hopefully we get another chance.

easttexas3a
12-08-2008, 07:53 PM
You guys are getting alittle bit ahead of yourselfs with all the dwight smith praise. He is not as good a back as Tucker is, and he isn't as good a back as Reddic Is. However his offensive line is very very good, and the rest of the team around him are very very good and don't allow you to key on him. Dwight Smith has a problem, and it may not get exposed but he will fumble the football. He is extremely fast but his talent is very very raw, he can get up and go and he can run over you. He reminds me of a #22 that I saw last year............. Justin Johnson. Justin was the same deal, he was great, great speed and powerful, but he also had a great offensive line and a QB and WR that kept you from keying on him. A back like Tucker didn't have this supporting cast. No doubt Dwight Smith is good, but if Liberty Hill, Celina, or Giddings have as good a defense as LH did last year, then I see similar results for Mr. Smith as we saw with Justin when he ran into a very stout D. This was the buckeyes defense, who gave up more to the Mexia running back who was a sophomore then they did dwight smith.

wimbo_pro
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I really didnt think Giddings could get this far...this year anyways. I am impressed. Impress me some more and beat Carthage!

buff4ever
12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

I am with buff4life on this for the first time in a while:D , maybe you have seen both play or maybe you are full of #(*#@(@. Giddings will have to play an error free game, and if they do carthage would have to match it with error free play as well to win. Just my prediction

buff4life
12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I am with buff4life on this for the first time in a while:D , maybe you have seen both play or maybe you are full of #(*#@(@. Giddings will have to play an error free game, and if they do carthage would have to match it with error free play as well to win. Just my prediction

hey old-timer, did i give you permission to use my name like that?? :D

buff4ever
12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
hey old-timer, did i give you permission to use my name like that?? :D

Respect your elders you little punk:D

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I realize I apparently haven't seen this new incredible Carthage RB, but I said it after Week Zero and I'll say it again. Giddings is a lot better than most have given them credit for! I don't know if they can win, but they definitely should be able to hang.

buff4life
12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Respect your elders you little punk:D

this little punk has punked you in many things "sir"

so haha...

and thanks LHPM for the semi confidence :D

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2008, 12:05 AM
this little punk has punked you in many things "sir"

so haha...

and thanks LHPM for the semi confidence :D
If I knew up close & personal about their RB, I could be a little more (or less :eek: ) confident. :p

Necks_Fan
12-09-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm kind of confused.

i saw a guy from D 25 repping his district and saying that he thinks Giddings has a chance to beat LH in the final if they squeak by Carthage this week.

I then saw people pretty much telling him he was crazy.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, did Giddings NOT almost knock off LH earlier THIS season?

What makes you guys think Giddings can't win the next one?

I think Cathage will win this game, but if Giddings should win, I think only a FOOL would say they have no chance against LH.

They have already proven to be a worthy opponent for LH.

They say it's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Just ask Bellville.

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I'm kind of confused.

i saw a guy from D 25 repping his district and saying that he thinks Giddings has a chance to beat LH in the final if they squeak by Carthage this week.

I then saw people pretty much telling him he was crazy.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, did Giddings NOT almost knock off LH earlier THIS season?

What makes you guys think Giddings can't win the next one?

I think Cathage will win this game, but if Giddings should win, I think only a FOOL would say they have no chance against LH.

They have already proven to be a worthy opponent for LH.

They say it's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Just ask Bellville.
DUDE.......this is a Carthage/Giddings thread. Ya'll need to leave us out of it!

buff4ever
12-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I agree lhpm, giddings has enough on our plate this week; we don't need to be thinking about the two time defending champs already.

BUT IF WE GET TO:D

BOCEPHUS
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
GIDDINS WILL HAVE TO SCORE OVER 40 POINTS TO HAVE A CHANCE IN THIS HERE GAME(LIKE THEY DID 3 OF LAST 4 PLAYOFF GAMES), SO....................... AND THROW THE BALL BOUT 20 TIMES(LIKE LIBERTY HILL DOES)...........................SO,............... ...... AND THEY HAVE NOT PLAYED A TEAM THAT HAS HAD A GOOD RB YET NEITHER...............SO............U BE RIGHT, GIDDINS DON'T STAND A CHANCE.

GLAD THE PRICE UH GAS DUN WENT DOWN OR IT BE A H3LLUVA OF A WASTE OF MONEY JUST TO DIVE UP THERE FER ALL THEM PEOPLE.

Buffgal
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Carthage is bigger, faster and more athletic than Giddings. You gotta be kidding me, right?

Ok, I'll buy into a couple of these but not all three. The RB is being billed as alot faster and the O line is being hailed as bigger, although the Buffs O line is pretty good sized themselves. Overall speed & athleticism of the team --no way Buffs fall behind on this one. Conditioning and heart---I'll have to give Buffs a slight edge after watching several gutsy performances of the season.

Giddings has pretty well flown under the radar/media all year because we don't have that star RB or star QB, no star anybody, our defense gives up too many points (although this statistic reflects poorly on the D's performance), we are undersized, we don't throw the ball, we are one dimensional with a ground attack. We've had numerous injuries that have forced players into different positions. Let's don't even talk about the slippery ball. :eek:

But.....until you have seen the effort they put into a game, never ever put them out of reach of a win. We looked across the line of scrimmage at two time defending state champions Liberty Hill first rattle out of the box with a QB that had never taken a snap in his life and gave those Panthers all that they wanted. Lots of battles with other great teams have happened since and Buffs have made changes and grown tremendously as a team. With all this said, All the post season wins have been icing on the cake for a season that started with lots of doubts and unknowns on the team and many who thought they couldn't even get out of our talented district. Buffs have time and time again proven all doubters wrong and in the meantime, shown overall team effort and determination against better opponents with Div I stars. the 2008 Buffaloes have also made school history in their achievements, getting to the final four. While the last few years in the playoffs have given the Buffs hope, Giddings doesn't have stacked State Trophies in the case, only one...dated 1951. Only time will tell what will happen with our 2008 Buffs.

I cannot predict a blowout game on either side but like my prediction in the first game of the year vs the LH Panthers, the Carthage Bulldogs will know they have been in a battle til the last second of the game.

Can't wait to see it unfold.

48 minutes of W.A.O. Buffalo Football
No Free Lunches
Buffs -----Find a Way to Win.:clap: :clap: :clap:

OldBison75
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Giddings has the talent to play and win against anyone. The key to Giddings is controlling turnovers. Last week they got away with a bunch of turnovers and still won because of great defense. At this stage of the season, a great defense can take you a long ways.
Against Carthage, they can't make these mistakes and expect the defense to pull out a victory. The Giddings defense is pretty darn good against the run and can limit the damage by Carthage. The Carthacge running back is a horse and will get his yards, but Giddings will make him earn every one. The key to this game will be how well the Giddings secondary plays. If they can limit Carthage to having to methodically move down the field and not give up big plays (25 or more yards at a time), Giddings can win.
No turnovers would be great, but if Giddings can limit the offense to one turnover, the defense can keep them in the game.

Giddings 28
Carthage 27

BOCEPHUS
12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I JUST GOT BACK FROM A FILL'N ALL THE FEEDERS, U KNOW WE GOT A FRONT MOV'IN EN, GONNA HAVE THEM LOOK'N IN THE MORNI'N............,............BUT ON ALL THIS FOOTBALL STUFF IF U WUZ A PAY'EN ATTENTION LAST WEEK THEM BUFFS WUZ A PLAY'N GILMER, SO I WUZ UH CONFUSED WHEN THEY WUD'EN PLAY'N THE BUCKEYES...........TILL I FIGURED IT OUT:thinking:

THEN SO NOW WHAT IT IS STILL THE SAME, CUZ'N IT MAKE NO DIFFERECE WHO BUFFS A PLAY'N THEY GONNA BE A LOSE'N??:(

SO I GOTZ IT FIGURED OUT ALL NOW, U EAST TEXAS PINEY WOOD BOYS JUST WIN NO MATTERS WHAT:confused: ?????

SO........THAR IT BE I GUESS, GUESS WE NEED TO KEEP THE THUMP THUMP DOORS OPEN THIS'N HERE WEEK, CUZ.............U BOYS THAT WALKS AROUND ON THEM THAR PINE NEEDLSE GOTZ IT ALL FIGURED OUT. BY GAWD I AM GLAD SUMBODY ON HERE DOES. CUZ FROM AWHAT I BEEN A GO'EN BACK AND A RE-READ'UN ON SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THAT BOUT 95% OF'IN THE FOLKS ON HERE KNOWS WHERE THE SHORT BUS LOADS AT:p

icu812
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
You guys are getting alittle bit ahead of yourselfs with all the dwight smith praise. He is not as good a back as Tucker is, and he isn't as good a back as Reddic Is. However his offensive line is very very good, and the rest of the team around him are very very good and don't allow you to key on him. Dwight Smith has a problem, and it may not get exposed but he will fumble the football. He is extremely fast but his talent is very very raw, he can get up and go and he can run over you. He reminds me of a #22 that I saw last year............. Justin Johnson. Justin was the same deal, he was great, great speed and powerful, but he also had a great offensive line and a QB and WR that kept you from keying on him. A back like Tucker didn't have this supporting cast. No doubt Dwight Smith is good, but if Liberty Hill, Celina, or Giddings have as good a defense as LH did last year, then I see similar results for Mr. Smith as we saw with Justin when he ran into a very stout D. This was the buckeyes defense, who gave up more to the Mexia running back who was a sophomore then they did dwight smith.

Tucker and Johnson are very similar backs, but D.Smith is much more explosive. Those guys are in slo mo compared to Smith. Against Gilmer several times db's had the angle on him but his speed destroyed it. Your right about a stout D being able to stop any back.

1st and goal
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Tucker and Johnson are very similar backs, but D.Smith is much more explosive. Those guys are in slo mo compared to Smith. Against Gilmer several times db's had the angle on him but his speed destroyed it. Your right about a stout D being able to stop any back.

You might want to make it to see this game. Especially the Buffs' slo mo defense.

I remember 'bout 2 years ago when a purple team was ranked about 13th or so. They somehow managed to "pull off" a major upset victory over an orange team. They haven't lost a game since cuz' they didn't listen to all this online hype. Well, this year, the Buff's have been flying under the radar due to the fact they have no extreme stand out allstars. The coach has done a great job at spreading the load across a group of very talented, big hearted, blood, sweat and tears band of brothers. Trust me, they won't give any team a "free lunch". The defense can make adjustments and stand up any team. The Buff's are not the underdogs in any game.

WAO!

We can BRING IT.

icu812
12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
You might want to make it to see this game. Especially the Buffs' slo mo defense.

Naw I'll probably go watch LH/Celina but if the Buffs' are as good as you say they are then it should be great game. I don't have a dog in this fight I was just reporting what I saw with my own two eyes. Carthage is big, fast and nasty. I haven't seen the Buffs' so I never said they couldnt hang. I just said it would take a heck of a team to beat Carthage this year. Giddings may be that team we'll find out.

BOCEPHUS
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
U KNOW IF'N I KNOCK DOWN THAT BIG 12 POINTER I DUN SEEN BY SAT. MORNING, THINK I WILL BY GAWD MAKE THIS GAME, AIN'T SEENT ONE ALL YEAR, JUST LISTEN TO ALL YOU EXPERTS:rolleyes: ON HERE TELL HOW ITS A GONNA BE.........THINK I'LL SEE FER MYSELF THIS TIME

Dieselsmoke
12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Carthage IS bigger, faster and more athletic than Giddings, and it won't be long before ya'll realize it too! Or I could be building a crow kabob...

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
Carthage IS bigger, faster and more athletic than Giddings, and it won't be long before ya'll realize it too! Or I could be building a crow kabob...
I can pretty much agree with the bigger part. They do have some BIG boys.

BOCEPHUS
12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I GOT THAT 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BROKE HIS BACK AT 155 YARDS, AN A SPEAK'N OF BIGGER.........HE FIELD DRESS BOUT 170!!!!!!!!!!

SO I GONNA MAKE THE GAME, ..............IS RANGER MAW GONNA BRING THAT DAD BLAME SHIRT SO I CAN PUT MY 'X' ON IT??????

ANYWAY HEARD SOEMTHEN ON THE RADIO ON THE WAY BACK FROM GUTTT'EN THE 12. WED. IS "GAY DAY" WHICH I UNDERSTAND MEANS ALL THE GAYS R UH SKIPP'N WORK WED., WHICH MEANS IMA GO'EN DOWN BY TEH FEED STORE AND CHECK ON THE OLE BOY THAT WORKS THE DESK PART TIME, I NOTICE HE WEARS MATCH'N SOX AND THEM LOAFERS INSTEAD OF WORK BOOTS.............IF'EN HE AIN'T THAR, THEN I WUZ RIGHT..

ANYWAY FIGURED SOME OF Y'ALL ON HERE MIGHT NEED TO CHECK ON 'CERTAIN PEOPLE' IF'EN U KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

gtownballa
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Its not even a game.....Giddings is going to win.....yall better watch out for that #12 My Boi XD.....he gonna get 5 interceptions again.....and betta watch out fo my boi Zach #15......That and The whole team.....Is Gonna Get Carthage....35-14 Giddings

icu812
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I can pretty much agree with the bigger part. They do have some BIG boys.

Panther Mom - Carthage doesn't look like the team you saw last year. Bigger and faster (noticably bigger & faster than Gilmer). Same qb, much improved OL and a big time RB in the backfield to go along with a good passing game. They still run the spread and 5 wide empy sets but this year they are putting their stud TB deep and running downhill behind that big nasty OL. In case you can't tell I was impressed with their offense. Defense is real good but not great.

Last yrs. LH team and this years Carthage team would be a great game (I haven't seen LH this year).

buff4life
12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by gtownballa
Its not even a game.....Giddings is going to win.....yall better watch out for that #12 My Boi XD.....he gonna get 5 interceptions again.....and betta watch out fo my boi Zach #15......That and The whole team.....Is Gonna Get Carthage....35-14 Giddings

easy killa don't go overboard now...even though i would love to see that score

setxsports
12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Carthage Big!

Bull's-eye
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Go Buffs, show them what D25 is like. :cool:

Pudlugger
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I really don't know how to handicap this game. Gilmer was ranked very high all year and was favored to beat Carthage by most of the posters on this board and Carthage beat them. Giddings I know is a very good football team and I have watched them play La Grange. They have plenty of size speed and talent but put the ball on the ground too much. In the Bellville game they dominated but almost blew the game on fumbles. If it weren't for a missed field goal in the firat OT Bellville would have won. That said I think that D25 is the toughest district in 3a and that Giddings is way underestimated. They will come out this week and hold onto the football and have their best game of the season. They have nothing to lose as they have exceeded all expectations to get this far. They are free to play out of their minds. I am going with the Buffs by a td.;)

Buff O-Line
12-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm really impressed with this team. I'll be honest I would of never thought this team would of gone so far in the playoffs. All I have to say is that I hope Giddings puts it all on the line in this game. DON'T hold anything back. If it comes down to a dogfight where the benches clear then let it be.(Liberty Hill-my last time to ever play)lol. I hope yall win. I will be jealous if yall do but I'll get over it. If it's up to me then let it be!!! ;)

Get after that ***

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I heard on the austin news tonite that this game doesn't matter b/c the state championship is being played this week already between LH/Celina. It was the weirdest thing I had ever heard said in an interview of a player involved. It was an un-named very well know LH linebacker.

Wow!:D

solocam
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I heard on the austin news tonite that this game doesn't matter b/c the state championship is being played this week already between LH/Celina. It was the weirdest thing I had ever heard said in an interview of a player involved. It was an un-named very well know LH linebacker.

Wow!:D
What he said is thathe had heard it said by different sources,
He didn't personnally say that

buff4ever
12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
yeah I know, but that didn't make the stir of the pot quite as effective:D

Still yet, somethings are better left unsaid in interviews. Our head coach has had his share of a few oops I prolly shouldn't have said that, it happens to everyone I guess?:D

LH Panther Mom
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah I know, but that didn't make the stir of the pot quite as effective:D

Still yet, somethings are better left unsaid in interviews. Our head coach has had his share of a few oops I prolly shouldn't have said that, it happens to everyone I guess?:D
At least that unnamed LB is a kid. ;)

Buff O-Line
12-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I love it LH Panther Mom. You hit it on the dot. Just put the 2006-2007 higlight film on. Lets Go. Baby.

solocam
12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Carthage by 17

Pudlugger
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
This semi final match up reminds me of the D2 2002 game between Bandara and Bellville. Bellville was coming off a great season and a win over highly ranked Marlin in the Regional final in Region III. Bandara was considered the dark horse out of Region IV and not very highly regarded. Well Bandara upset Bellville and went on to win state in double OT over Midland Greenwood. My point is that sometimes a good region IV team gets overlooked because the highly ranked Region III teams get all the attention. Don't count Giddings out yet. They play smash mouth football with the best of them and do not roll over when the going gets rough.

teetle
12-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Wanker you are right. I remember Bandera I just knows that the Buffs are going to win. Fitzhenry doin a great job. Him and Locke. Good luck.:eek: :tongue: :tongue: :crazy: :vrycnfsd:

Pudlugger
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by teetle
Wanker you are right. I remember Bandera I just knows that the Buffs are going to win. Fitzhenry doin a great job. Him and Locke. Good luck.:eek: :tongue: :tongue: :crazy: :vrycnfsd:

Listen up Speetle, Giddings will bring the hat.

pirate4state
12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
poll results 72-43 in favor of Carthage :nerd:

buff4ever
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
poll results 72-43 in favor of Carthage :nerd:

it's at the top of the thread on every page. last week it was unanimous almost for gilmer last week:D :D :D :D :p

pirate4state
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
it's at the top of the thread on every page. last week it was unanimous almost for gilmer last week:D :D :D :D :p i really do hope yall win & LH win so i don't have to drive so far next week ;) :D

bobcat1
12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
i really do hope yall win & LH win so i don't have to drive so far next week ;) :D How far are either of these from Celina? Where would halfway be?:D

pirate4state
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
How far are either of these from Celina? Where would halfway be?:D

Carthage/Celina - Corsicana maybe?
Celina/Giddings - Waco

Only way I make one of these games if there is a double header in the works.

Come on
12-11-2008, 05:48 PM
How far are either of these from Celina? Where would halfway be?:D

You planning on going to watch LH Play!:D :D

bobcat1
12-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Come on
You planning on going to watch LH Play!:D :D Now Hand, your reading comprehension is better than that, right?

Come on
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Now Hand, your reading comprehension is better than that, right? :D

BOCEPHUS
12-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Carthage/Celina - Corsicana maybe?
Celina/Giddings - Waco

Only way I make one of these games if there is a double header in the works.

celina/carthage--tx. stadium -- fer sure, dun deal

celina/giddens--corsicana --fer sure, dun deal

lh/giddens-- alamo dome -- fer sure, dun deal

lh/carthage-- ??? in air last time i checked

Buckeye80
12-11-2008, 10:07 PM
08 Gilmer was one of the fastest teams in the state, and Carthage made us look slow. 08 Carthage and 03 Atlanta are scarily similar!
Carthage is huge on both lines, fast and aggressive on defense, and will just flat out run over you with their offense. Stop the run, they pass. Stop the pass, they run. And they do both equally well.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that Giddings can pull this one out. Giddings is one of the upper echelon programs in the state. But I don't think it's gonna happen. I trust my source on Giddings.

I personally think the Buffaloes are in for one long evening!

Carthage 44
Giddings 19

Buff O-Line
12-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
08 Gilmer was one of the fastest teams in the state, and Carthage made us look slow. 08 Carthage and 03 Atlanta are scarily similar!
Carthage is huge on both lines, fast and aggressive on defense, and will just flat out run over you with their offense. Stop the run, they pass. Stop the pass, they run. And they do both equally well.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that Giddings can pull this one out. Giddings is one of the upper echelon programs in the state. But I don't think it's gonna happen. I trust my source on Giddings.

I personally think the Buffaloes are in for one long evening!

Carthage 44
Giddings 19

Seriously. The one thing that Giddings alway has to their advatage is SPEED. The only thing that I'm worried about is their size.
Giddings wins 27 to 24.
Don't hate Gilmer. Just be Jealous.

Pudlugger
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
If Giddings holds onto the football they should be able to control the clock. The Buff D is stout enough to defend the run(having done so in D25 with some success) and the dbs are very fast and can cover the pass well. Their big problem all year has been fumbles that give the opposition a short field and prolong the time the D is on the field. If I were a coach in Giddings I'd give each back a football on Monday and have them carry it around all day all week to get them all on the same page about ball protection. Good luck and hold onto the football if you want the ring.;)

Darren
12-12-2008, 10:23 AM
any updates on the Carthage rb's status? I'm sure those in the know are probably going to be tight lipped on this subject

Bull's-eye
12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Good luck Giddings! :)

bigdiz
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by mistanice

You arent wrong this is a different kid the #22 from last yrs team .Dwight Smith moved to Califonia to live with his dad then came back to Carthage over the summer up until last yr he has lived in Carthage all his life

Bull's-eye
12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
celina/carthage--tx. stadium -- fer sure, dun deal

celina/giddens--corsicana --fer sure, dun deal

lh/giddens-- alamo dome -- fer sure, dun deal

lh/carthage-- ??? in air last time i checked

You said they had all agreed to play in Waco this week, but that wasn't the case. I know the Cowboys will be hosting Baltimore next Saturday, so Texas Stadium shouldn't be available for any games.

icu812
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Buff O-Line
Seriously. The one thing that Giddings alway has to their advatage is SPEED. The only thing that I'm worried about is their size.
Giddings wins 27 to 24.
Don't hate Gilmer. Just be Jealous.

Seriously, Giddings will not have a SPEED advantage on Carthage either. Not saying they aren't going to win but IMHO it won't be because they are bigger and/or faster.

Buckeye80, Carthage is fast but I'm not sure they are 03 Atlanta fast. Them Atl boys could really go in 03. Although D.Smith is as fast as I've seen.

waterboy
12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree. Comparing them to that '03 Atlanta team is not warranted. That Rabbit team had world class speed at several positions. I think they won state in track the year before, can't remember whether they won it in '04 or not. This Carthage team is fast, but not '03 Atlanta fast, although they do have a couple of players that could've run with them.

martwayne
12-12-2008, 01:51 PM
i'm going all upset here, but really this deep in the playooffs it is not an unset is it? i mean when your this deep in the playoffs by now people really start to believe in you. from the navasota rattlers, go buffs.

Giddings 28
Carthage 24

waterboy
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Honestly, I would be surprised if this game is even close. I think Carthage will run away with this one. Just my opinion. I haven't seen Giddings play, yet, but they better be big, fast, and physical, or they won't be able to keep it close, much less win. If I were to predict a score, I would say:

Carthage 48
Giddings 20

Like I say, though, the Buffaloes could surprise and make it a good game..........we'll see.:D

BOCEPHUS
12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You said they had all agreed to play in Waco this week, but that wasn't the case. I know the Cowboys will be hosting Baltimore next Saturday, so Texas Stadium shouldn't be available for any games.

we here at celina have first choice over the cowboys and who gets texas stadium, we won more games, so we have first choice

icu812
12-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I agree. Comparing them to that '03 Atlanta team is not warranted. That Rabbit team had world class speed at several positions. I think they won state in track the year before, can't remember whether they won it in '04 or not. This Carthage team is fast, but not '03 Atlanta fast, although they do have a couple of players that could've run with them.

I was at Gilmer/Atl in 03 in Tyler. I'll never forget a FAST Gilmer player (maybe the QB McKenzie I dont remember) breaking through the line and getting 10 yards behind all the Atl defenders only the get caught by 3 or 4 defenders in a matter of seconds. Atlanta had jaw dropping speed.

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2008, 07:40 PM
McKenzie was very talented and a great leader at QB, but speed was not his strong suit. I recall him as a 4.6 guy, at best.

That said, I don't disagree that Atlanta '03 was one of the speediest teams Gilmer's ever played.

McKenzie could run you over as if he weighed 220 lbs., even though he was only about 180. He had great leg strength and was very hard to bring down once he got those legs churning.

SintonFan
12-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Go Giddings!!!
Beat those ack ack Bulldogs!!!:) :) :D

1st and goal
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
OK here it is gameday finally!

Weatherman is predicting VERY WINDY conditions, 30mph or more.

Guessing it may prove beneficial to have a good ground game tonight.

Hope and pray for a injury free, clean, fairly officiated game and that everybody makes it home safe and sound.

GO BUFFS!!!

OldBison75
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Giddings will have a good shot at winning this game if they don't fumble more than once. However, based on past performances, I believe they might drop the ball too much and give the opening to Carthage.

Carthage 27
Giddings 21

lbjacj
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Is this game online?

Aesculus gilmus
12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by lbjacj
Is this game online?

http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?teamcode=4272&eventcode=20

44INAROW
12-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Good Luck to the Reg IV representatives, the Giddings Buffaloes......... :)

gobbler grad
12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
any updates

N4SIR
12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I guarantee they are not all 3

Still want to make that guarantee? The Gilmer posters tried to tell you what the Buffs were in for.

N4SIR
12-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
any updates

10:17 left in 4th qtr Carthage 40 - Giddings 14
Giddings has yet to throw a pass tonight.
Carthage running back has close to 300 yards rushing and 5 TD's.

setxsports
12-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I predicted 42-14