PDA

View Full Version : D1 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP LaVega MODOC Pirates vs. Prosper Eagles

JR2004
12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Since it appears MODOC will hold on to beat Cuero here goes...

Does MODOC finish off what's been a rollercoaster season with a state title or does district 9 champion Prosper, coming off a wild 2OT win against Wylie, finish off a great season of their own with a state title?

KingRob
12-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Okay, I'm kinda mad at the Pirates for beating my Gobblers, but I just think this is Prosper's year.

Should be a good game.

Prosper - 35
La Vega - 31

Good Luck to both teams!

bobcat1
12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Staying 9-3A Go Eagles.

HEMOTOXIC
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
MODOC! MODOC!

After La Vega had what it took to beat my Rattlers, who I felt would win it all this year, I have to go with La Vega.

Go Pirates!

WHS02
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
From what i saw, La vega will win this one by a pretty good margin. Good luck to both teams!

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
unless LaVega makes alot of mistakes imo they can name their score agianst Prosper

Texas Cougar
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Chris Parr will lead LV to victory. LV by 2 touchdowns.

JR2004
12-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Texas Cougar
Chris Parr will lead LV to victory. LV by 2 touchdowns.

Parr is one heck of a RB. He's a lot of fun to watch.

JR2004
12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by WHS02
From what i saw, La vega will win this one by a pretty good margin. Good luck to both teams!

What does Prosper look like? I haven't seen them this year. I know what MODOC is bringing to the table from having seen them the last two years, but don't know much about the Eagles other than what I read about them on here and a few other places.

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
What does Prosper look like? I haven't seen them this year. I know what MODOC is bringing to the table from having seen them the last two years, but don't know much about the Eagles other than what I read about them on here and a few other places.

Hunter Nix is Prosper QB, he is their catalyst has a nice arm, runs well.

their D plays solid, but not imo spectacular athletes. I think LaVega will be able to move the ball

jambo67
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
LV wins again. The score will look like it's a close game but the overall game itself will be like a slow game of dominoes with an old man. LV seems to know what the opponent is holding and counters every trick in quiet way, then the offense puts a number on you.

JR2004
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

their D plays solid, but not imo spectacular athletes. I think LaVega will be able to move the ball

I'm pretty certain they'll be able to move the ball. I'd venture to guess that Parr might have himself a pretty good game running behind that talented line he has in front of him. As great a RB as Parr is, it's that line and those big TE's that make everything go for MODOC on offense.

jambo67
12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
This game was won back in June, July and August. Back when the linemen on both sides were in the weight room. The "skill" guys will all the credit despite the fact they were probably playing
PS2 or XBOX.

eagles_victory
12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
This game was won back in June, July and August. Back when the linemen on both sides were in the weight room. The "skill" guys will all the credit despite the fact they were probably playing
PS2 or XBOX. Nowadays they are playing PS3 and XBox 360

Matthew328
12-07-2008, 01:44 AM
So where will this one be??

OrangeChamps
12-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Way to go Prosper! I doubted you the entire postseason, but you proved me wrong and I'm thankful for it. It is awesome to see ya'll coming together and stepping up the program. Good luck this week and hopefully you can bring that state championship home!

cshscougar08
12-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Unless Prosper has an outstanding stellar defense, I think La Vega will roll. Big time.

eagles_victory
12-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Sources are reporting to the nation that this game is at 4 on Saturday at Texas Stadium.

ssgmp5150
12-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Congrats goes out to the Prosper Eagles! Way to hang in there and never quit! You guys just beat an excellent Abilene Wylie team! Seeing how La Vega got into the playoff's, I hope you guys win and I truly think you can! I knew you guys could do it long before the season even started even against all others telling me I was crazy! Good luck against a very good La Vega team! You can do it! Bring home the state championship!

RPF2666
12-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by WHS02

Sour Grapes?

GreenMachine
12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I have neveer seen Prosper play. Unfortunately, I saw LV play last night. Unless prosper has some monsters up front, congratulations on getting to the finals, but it will be a long night. They will pound you. They don't make mistakes. I know Wylie beat LV early, but that was without Parr. I wish Prosper luck, but I see LV winning by several td's.

kaide
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
What a joke. Everybody thought Wylie is going to roll Prosper and now LaVega is going to roll Prosper. Keep underestimating them and they'll continue to beat you. I wonder if Wylie fans that think LaVega will beat Prosper would have thought LaVega was going to beat their beloved Bulldogs. Oh, and by the way, I remember several posts about how Wylie would win because of Hugh Sandifer. He is a great coach no doubt, but Kent Scott can apparently play with the big boys too!

bigdaddy
12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
This is Prospers Year !!

We played them, had an off night ,no excuses and got whooped. Prospers pretty darn GOOD so don't look past them.

Rabid Cougar
12-07-2008, 11:27 AM
LaVega will score and score often.

JT44
12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
gotta go with LV, they are a well coached, talented team. that front seven is something. The offense pounded out a 9 minute drive on Cuero. Prosper's D better keep an eye on all the skill players for LV, they can hit from all over.

oh and Chris Parr is GOOD.

LV by two td's.

slingshot
12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
A truly honest appraisal from a Wylie fan who has seen both teams in action? I do think La Vega wins this one... here is why. La Vega is bigger and stronger across the front than anyone Prosper has seen. I also suspect they have better team speed than anyone they have faced. They tunnel sweep you for 5--6 yards to death, then bust one for 50--60 yards. They were tough when we played La Vega and they did not have the services of Chris Parr, their top back--it would of been a tall order to beat them again. That La Vega team speed also translates to defense--I don't think that Prosper's offense can run the draws and quarterback option plays effectively against LV and get outside against them. To beat them they will have to depend on the passing game.
As to the question of us beating La Vega again? Last night we lost our top running back and leading rusher in the first quarter with an ankle injury (did not return), lost our outside linebacker/speed rusher/leading sacker and deep kick returner with a season ending knee injury, at the end of the China Spring game we lost our starting left corner back with a torn knee ligament... you get the picture. I'm proud of our kids playing as well as they did last night with the # of devastaing injuries--to beat La Vega next week would of been tough.

OrangeChamps
12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I have neveer seen Prosper play. Unfortunately, I saw LV play last night. Unless prosper has some monsters up front, congratulations on getting to the finals, but it will be a long night.

They do, and they will knock LVs butts in the dirt, pick 'em up, and do it all over again. LV better get ready, Prosper is going to bring it to them.

turbostud
12-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Are there any Prosper posters on the downlow? Do they not have computers in Prosper?

pirate4state
12-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by bigdaddy
This is Prospers Year !!

We played them, had an off night ,no excuses and got whooped. Prospers pretty darn GOOD so don't look past them.

"had an off night" = an excuse

It's a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME...I hope it's competitive! Good luck to both teams! GO EAGLES!

DDBooger
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
"had an off night" = an excuse

It's a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME...I hope it's competitive! Good luck to both teams! GO EAGLES!
"and they call her the instigator!!!"
lmao :D
:thinking: i wondered the same thing

eagles_victory
12-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by kaide
What a joke. Everybody thought Wylie is going to roll Prosper and now LaVega is going to roll Prosper. Keep underestimating them and they'll continue to beat you. I wonder if Wylie fans that think LaVega will beat Prosper would have thought LaVega was going to beat their beloved Bulldogs. Oh, and by the way, I remember several posts about how Wylie would win because of Hugh Sandifer. He is a great coach no doubt, but Kent Scott can apparently play with the big boys too! Isnt Prosper winning the poll right now?

showtime91
12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Wylie losing 3 of their top players = a reason

Budman007
12-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Unless Prosper has an outstanding stellar defense, I think La Vega will roll. Big time.

Prosper has one of the top defenses in the state. Prosper Rolls!

c bobcats run
12-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by showtime91
Wylie losing 3 of their top players = a reason

You know what excuses are like. Everyone has one.

Stownhorse
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by c bobcats run
You know what excuses are like. Everyone has one.

who rung your bell?

Prosper is a real sound football team all around. They can line up and run or they can throw at you. Defense isnt a wall but it isnt a pushover either.

I predict this game being decided by only a few points either way.

IHStangFan
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Another VERY interesting matchup!! I am leaning La Vega, but don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Prosper could win this one as well.

c bobcats run
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
who rung your bell?

Prosper is a real sound football team all around. They can line up and run or they can throw at you. Defense isnt a wall but it isnt a pushover either.

I predict this game being decided by only a few points either way.

Wylie people with excuses do. They have been complaining about bad calls, bad sportsmanship, etc. on different threads all day.

Dang right prosper is good. They deserve respect for what they have done. They won. Wylie lost. Congrats Eagles.

Give props, not excuses (reasons). That's all

btw. Celina will roll unless: some players get hurt, Its not too cold, the refs dont make bad calls, it doesnt rain, the price of gas goes up, or we run out of orange paint.

GreenMachine
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
who rung your bell?

I predict this game being decided by only a few points either way. Everything you are saying about Prosper is true about Cuero, but I am telling you that LV has some BIG, move you out of the way, boys. Cuero did a decent job of plugging up the middle. Problem with that is we spent so much energy doing that, then he broke them outside. If Prosper does not have size and speed, they are in trouble. Don't get me wrong, I hope that Prosper is prosperous :D, just don't see it :(

slpybear the bullfan
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Greatest respect in the world for Prosper though... since we have started playing them each season, they have just brought it and made you very uncomfortable in pre-district.

Gonna pull for Prosper and might just have to sneak down and watch this one!

Go Prosper and show 'em what North Texas Football is all about...

Rabid Cougar
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I am not a fan of LaVega at all. Respect them... Yes.
I have personally coached against most of these kids in peewee from when they were 7 to 12 years. I then watched them play against my son through Jr High up until last year.
I will say one thing: these LV Seniors are class all the way. You will never see them conduct themselves in any other way. I just wish it was China Spring playing them this week at the Floyd. I know that would be the prefered game over in Bellmead too.

LaVega will win Saturday.

WylieBulldog92
12-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
I have personally coached against most of these kids in peewee from when they were 7 to 12 years. I then watched them play against my son through Jr High up until last year.
I will say one thing: these LV Seniors are class all the way. You will never see them conduct themselves in any other way. I just wish it was China Spring playing them this week at the Floyd. I know that would be the prefered game over in Bellmead too.

LaVega will win Saturday.
I can honestly say I'd rather watch that game than prosper...

WylieBulldog92
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm confused who has 30 different usernames, Prosper will be blown out.

bp80884
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Go get'em Pirates. I will be in the stadium cheering for you guys. Bring it back to Waco.

Go Pirates!

GreenMachine
12-07-2008, 09:33 PM

LaVega will win Saturday. I will agree, they sure seemed like a class act. It was good, physical, but clean game on both sides.

rolltider
12-07-2008, 09:42 PM
http://mysportsphotographer.exposuremanager.com/p/prosper_playoffs_6_dec_08_vs_abilene_wylie/img_123611

If you still do not think the extra point was good; take a look at this picture that was taken by a professional photographer.

Secondly, I don't think that anyone was trying to show disrespect to either program. That was an incredible game played by both teams.

HM33
12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Kind of a slow thread being the DI Championship game :S

BobcatBenny
12-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog87
about the picture. his left arm is at the 1 yardline. You trying to tell me he is stretching his arm 3 ft right here? I don't think so.

Well in that video image, I am not looking at his left arm.

I am looking at the ball. Which is across the goal line. ;)

garciap77
12-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I would like Prosper to win, but after seeing both teams play. I believe La Vega will win the state championship.

CHS_89
12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Go Prosper Eagles. Bring it home for 9-3A.

pirate4state
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
please keep this thread ON TOPIC! this thread is about the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME between La Vega & Prosper and not about either teams LAST game "did they or didn't they" stuff. :rolleyes:

injuredinmelee
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

my biggest knock on him was his arm. Plenty of strength but no accuracy.

eaglefan34
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Go Prosper Eagles. Bring it home for 9-3A.

Ditto from Argyle. 9-3A definitely has represented this year.

eagle95
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Prosperite here. Let me give you a little background here. Prosper doesn't have much tradition in the football arena. They've been just awful until the past 4-5 years. In fact, a .500 season in the late 70s, all of 80s and 90s, would have been considered a very good season. Prosper is growing so fast that we went from 27 graduates in 1997 to well over a hundred in 10 years. Prosper gets a lot of move-ins from Plano and Frisco and lots of $$$ comes with them. We have great facilities for training and it shows on the football field.

I've watched all but 2 of the Eagle games this year. After we beat Celina (first time since I was in 1st grade), we really played just avg the rest of the regular season. I didn't think we would go but 2 or 3 games deep into the playoffs. But against Van and Wylie, they got their fire back.

Key players

QB - Nix. heart and soul of the offense. Dad won state in Wylie in '77 I believe and went to TCU.
HB - Monroe #5 = marion barber for the eagles.
HB - Williams #7 = small, but lightning cuts and speed. soph.
WRs = small but decent hands
C/NT - Dafft #60 - maybe our only D1 player
DE - Mario Williams #34 - Freshman son of Dallas Cowboys player.
S/WR - Alexander #4 - big hitter with tons of Ints.

JR2004
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd imagine that MODOC will be the best team Prosper has played all year long. It'll be interesting to see what the Eagles come up with to try to slow down the Pirates offense.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I'd imagine that MODOC will be the best team Prosper has played all year long. It'll be interesting to see what the Eagles come up with to try to slow down the Pirates offense. very good offensive line with speed at QB and RB, will be hard to slow down.

JR2004
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
very good offensive line with speed at QB and RB, will be hard to slow down.

Yep that line is really, really good from the offensive linemen on down to the tight ends.

It's hard to simulate the kind of speed MODOC has in its backfield with Chris Parr and Danzel Wilson. I think Wilson is the most underrated player on the offense. His speed at the QB position makes MODOC very hard to defend for an entire game.

BobcatBenny
12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Seems to me if Abilene Wylie can play with Waco LaVega, I fail to comprehend how it is any reasonable person wouldn't think that Prosper might be able to make a game of it?

Ya neva no.

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
AW played LaVega without Parr. He improves their offensive capability exponentially. LV is a totally different animal now.

BobcatBenny
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
AW played LaVega without Parr. He improves their offensive capability exponentially. LV is a totally different animal now.
When did Parr return? Which game?

Seems to me that LV's scoring really hasn't changed that dramatically first half vs. second half. :thinking:

WylieBulldog87
12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok here is my take on the game.

I haven't seen LV play this year. I hear they are real good.

I watched Prosper play last week and beat Wylie. I didn't really think Prosper was a great team. Good team, but not over powering. They didn't make mistakes, which is always a plus. There really only player was their QB and he isn't anything special, IMO. No big plays, they just sliced up 3, 4 and 5 yards at a time. They use their qb the way Florida used Tebow. When he ran in that 2pt conversion, I told my peeps standing next to me, I would send all my dogs to the qb. I knew he would run and off tackle sweep. BINGO that is what he did most of the game. Didn't really do anything in the passing game that was to impressive. They jumped on Wylie 14-0 in the 1st quarter...but after that they didn't do much.

I don't see a team with prospers talent winning the state championship. Not to knock prosper, but they weren't all that.

If they do win state, then I have really under estimated them.

If LV is anything people are saying they are, they will destroy Prosper the way Liberty Hill destroy Gilmer last year. I think we are looking at 2 different levels of talent.

One thing I will say about Prosper is that they are a scrappy team. They keep coming and they play hard. If they play Wylie again, they probably lose. I don't think they should be here right now. I said that after Gilmer beat Wylie last year as well. Wylie had that game under control until the final minutes just like what happened this last weekend. I was glad that Wylie wasn't the team to get drummed by LH last year. But it would of been nice to at least have the opportunity.

My prediction LV 52 - Prosper 13.

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Parr's first game this season was the first playoff game against Brownsboro. He had 250 with 4 TD's. Scored on the first time he touched the ball in that game, 75 yards. Very typical for him

GreenMachine
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM

I watched Prosper play last week and beat Wylie. I didn't really think Prosper was a great team. Good team, but not over powering. They didn't make mistakes, which is always a plus. There really only player was their QB and he isn't anything special, IMO. No big plays, they just sliced up 3, 4 and 5 yards at a time. They use their qb the way Florida used Tebow. When he ran in that 2pt conversion, I told my peeps standing next to me, I would send all my dogs to the qb. I knew he would run and off tackle sweep. BINGO that is what he did most of the game. Didn't really do anything in the passing game that was to impressive. They jumped on Wylie 14-0 in the 1st quarter...but after that they didn't do much.

I don't see a team with prospers talent winning the state championship. Not to knock prosper, but they weren't all that.

If LV is anything people are saying they are, they will destroy Prosper the way Liberty Hill destroy Gilmer last year. I think we are looking at 2 different levels of talent.

One thing I will say about Prosper is that they are a scrappy team. They keep coming and they play hard. If they play Wylie again, they probably lose. I don't think they should be here right now. I said that after Gilmer beat Wylie last year as well. Wylie had that game under control until the final minutes just like what happened this last weekend. I was glad that Wylie wasn't the team to get drummed by LH last year. But it would of been nice to at least have the opportunity.

My prediction LV 52 - Prosper 13. He won't be running any off tackle sweeps for much positive yardage. Those two defensive ends for LV are extremely talented. ;)

Modoc
12-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Please Prosper...give the LV boys 22 pages of public bulletin board material like Cuero did!!

I just hope my boys win. I don't care by how much.

eagle95
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Prosper won't give up 50+ points. 38 is the most they've given up all season and that was double OT. Prosper gave up 7 points to Celina who has scored 50+ in 7 games this year (4 straight in playoffs) and Van was averaging well over 30 points a game for the season. Both of these team scored their only TD on the last drive of the game.

Prosper is tough against the run, but does have a few holes in the secondary. I don't think the score gets out of the 20s unless there are turnovers.

I'm taking Prosper by 3. 24-21.

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM

No offense to the Wylie players and most of the fans, but when the team that just beat you "isn't all that", it doesn't say much for YOUR team, now does it? :dispntd: :dispntd:

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by eagle95
Prosperite here. Let me give you a little background here. Prosper doesn't have much tradition in the football arena. They've been just awful until the past 4-5 years. In fact, a .500 season in the late 70s, all of 80s and 90s, would have been considered a very good season. Prosper is growing so fast that we went from 27 graduates in 1997 to well over a hundred in 10 years. Prosper gets a lot of move-ins from Plano and Frisco and lots of $$$ comes with them. We have great facilities for training and it shows on the football field.

I've watched all but 2 of the Eagle games this year. After we beat Celina (first time since I was in 1st grade), we really played just avg the rest of the regular season. I didn't think we would go but 2 or 3 games deep into the playoffs. But against Van and Wylie, they got their fire back.

Key players

QB - Nix. heart and soul of the offense. Dad won state in Wylie in '77 I believe and went to TCU.
HB - Monroe #5 = marion barber for the eagles.
HB - Williams #7 = small, but lightning cuts and speed. soph.
WRs = small but decent hands
C/NT - Dafft #60 - maybe our only D1 player
DE - Mario Williams #34 - Freshman son of Dallas Cowboys player.
S/WR - Alexander #4 - big hitter with tons of Ints.
Good info! Welcome to the Downlow! :)

OldBison75
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
The LaVega defense is pretty good against the run and plays good fundamental pass coverage. There is enough speed on defense to make some big plays on the edges and in the passing game. The defensive ends and LB are solid. On offense, the running game is above average and can be great. Good offensive line play and the return of Parr has really opened the offene up. Parr can go the distance on any play and is very hard to tackle. He dosent try to juke and dance, but is fast and will just duck his head for contact and keep the legs churning. The key to LaVega is the QB. This kid is not very big, not very fast, but is very smart and tough. He will kill you with his feet and arm if you don't keep him contained. He passes much better than average , but has not shown it much because of the success of the running game. He can sling it downfield 50 yards with pretty good accuracy. Plus, he never gives up on a play, he will scramble around and find an open receiver on the run.

To beat LaVega, Prosper will have to limit any big plays from the running game and keep the QB contained in the pocket. You won't stop the running game, but you can keep them making 4 or 5 yard gains most of the time instead of forty. On offense, Prosper will have to use the entire field. Work the middle of the defense at the line of scrimmage and don't get fancy with slow developing sweeps and trick plays. Quick hitting runs and quick hitting passes are your best shot at moving the ball. Be prepared for a strong pass rush and defensive ends that will play lanes and run you down with speed and quickness.

I have seen LaVega play and have not seen Prosper. I won't comment on what Prosper brings, but I can say that based on some info from recent games, Prosper can play with LaVega. They have played a couple of really good defenses and had success.

My bet is that LaVega will try to wear the Prosper defense down with the run and then hit a few passes. But, the hero of this game will come from the QB position. Based on what I have seen and heard, the kid from LaVega will make enough big plays to give his team the win.

LaVega 28
Prosper 24

Pirate Mom
12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Parr's first game this season was the first playoff game against Brownsboro. He had 250 with 4 TD's. Scored on the first time he touched the ball in that game, 75 yards. Very typical for him

FYI -- Chris did not play against Brownsboro...his first game back was Chapel Hill.

And, while Chris is a HUGE boost to the team, this team got through the season and the first round of playoffs without him. There is a lot of talent on the team. Yes, we did lose to Abilene Wylie in the pre-season, but only by two points and after a four hour bus trip out west at the end of a full week. It was also still early in the season. It would have been fun to see the Pirates take on AW again.

I haven't seen Prosper play, but I hadn't seen any of the other teams we've played in the playoffs before our games. I look forward to this BIG game Saturday and will be rooting for my Pirates! Go Modoc! Hoorah!

WylieBulldog92
12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Pirate Mom
FYI -- Chris did not play against Brownsboro...his first game back was Chapel Hill.

And, while Chris is a HUGE boost to the team, this team got through the season and the first round of playoffs without him. There is a lot of talent on the team. Yes, we did lose to Abilene Wylie in the pre-season, but only by two points and after a four hour bus trip out west at the end of a full week. It was also still early in the season. It would have been fun to see the Pirates take on AW again.

I haven't seen Prosper play, but I hadn't seen any of the other teams we've played in the playoffs before our games. I look forward to this BIG game Saturday and will be rooting for my Pirates! Go Modoc! Hoorah!
I admit I would be afraid if we were playing LV right now, they look like a run away train right now, Go MODOC!

martwayne
12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
navasota rattler fan saying good luck to both teams and saying...

La Vega 38
Prosper 24

Electus Unus
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
La Vega's controversial season ends with a state title in the trophy case as they blow out the Prosper Eagles and win by the score of 42-21(give or take).

rolltider
12-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I'm confused who has 30 different usernames, Prosper will be blown out.

If Prosper beat Wylie, even though extremly close, then shouldn't Wylie be happy that they don't have to endure the embarrassment if of what you say will be Prosper's fate?

rolltider
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM

My prediction LV 52 - Prosper 13.

That's funny, you say that Wylie was in control the whole game; well I was also there and if my memory serves me correctly Wylie never held a lead until approx 2:50 left in the game.

WHS02
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I must admit that I was really worried if we beat prosper that we would have to play la vega again. They will roll over prosper with a little pressure but not much. La Vega by 21!!

jambo67
12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
For Prosper to win they have to have positive yardage on almost every first down. A second down with 2 or 3 to go on every series will be a must. That will give Prosper a play or two to make another first down and burn the clock. Plus Prosper will have to win the field position battle and keep the ball on LV's side of the field, the Prosper punter could be key to a win. Nix better deal the ball to everybody capable at just the right time and be very unpredictable. LeVaga is prepared for what they expect and will steamroll a known scheme. Mix it up and be unorthodox, you might see some LV helmets spin.

OrangeChamps
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
From what I've seen from Prosper this year, their defense will be the big surprise of the game. At least for those that haven't seen them.

jambo67
12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Prosper's D-line have good size and are the LB's athletic? I hope they're pretty gritty because I want a good game.

Mcguirk
12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, I've seen both play (though Parr was out at the time). I think both teams are very good and I'd hate to put a bet either way on this game, just too close to call. Not saying that one might not pull away, but I just don't think it happens. Neither team will quit. Good luck to both.

JR2004
12-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Marion Barber meet Prosper linebacker Drew Miller! I don't care who you are because that's pretty impressive for Miller to play through a broken arm and finger.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/121008dnspohsprosper.326e19e.html

Breakout season rolls on for Prosper

08:55 PM CST on Tuesday, December 9, 2008

By RANDY JENNINGS / The Dallas Morning News
rjennings@dallasnews.com

PROSPER – Linebacker Drew Miller played almost an entire midseason game before confiding to a Prosper teammate that he thought he had broken his arm.

"He was afraid if he told somebody, he wouldn't get to play any more," said quarterback Hunter Nix, the player Miller trusted to keep his secret.

Miller's diagnosis was correct, but he is still playing. So is Prosper, which will face Waco La Vega in the Class 3A Division I state championship game at 4 p.m. Saturday at Texas Stadium.

Miller, a junior described by Prosper coach Kent Scott as the heart and soul of the defense, wears a cast that protects a broken ulna bone near his left elbow and a broken finger.

"You can't let an injury stop you," Miller said.

Prosper is not letting anything stop what is already the best season in school history.

It survived the state semifinal round by the thinnest of margins. Nix's conversion run in the second overtime sent Prosper to its 11th straight victory, 39-38 over Abilene Wylie on Saturday.

Nix, who has rushed for 20 touchdowns and thrown for 22, faked a handoff and followed the blocking of Miller, who plays tight end in certain situations.

"It was close," Nix said, "but the ball was over the line."

With eight players going both ways, Scott said fatigue was the major factor in the decision to go for the win.

Without senior Drew Bristol's 36-yard field goal at the end of regulation, Prosper would never have gotten to overtime.

Last year's team, which lost in the area round of the playoffs, might have had more talent, Scott said.

"This year, we're like an extended family."

Prosper, long in the football shadow of neighboring Class 3A power Celina, showed signs that this season would be different going back to its 33-7 win over its rival Oct. 17.

Fast forward eight weeks and both teams are still alive in different divisions of the 3A playoffs.

"It shows how good the football in this area is," Nix said.

trojan37
12-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
When did Parr return? Which game?

Seems to me that LV's scoring really hasn't changed that dramatically first half vs. second half. :thinking:

You have to see Parr play to understand what he brings to the team. Nothing flashy about the kid. He will just flat run you over. He is a very durable running back, and the offense can eat up the clock giving it to him for 5 or 6 yards a carry. The kid is an absolute beast, and I don't see Prosper stopping him.

LV 35
Prosper 14

Crow22
12-10-2008, 07:53 AM
This may sound stupid but...what is MODOC?

Rabid Cougar
12-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Crow22
This may sound stupid but...what is MODOC?

A bunch of people who live off Exit 339 of Interstate 35 in Bellmead, outsiders would call it Waco.
They are "Land Pirates"; whatever that means.
Their children attend LaVega High School; named for the man who had the original land grant during the Republic of Texas.

They generally have some the best fly overs at their football games with C-5's, C-17's and occasionally Air Force One and Marine One.

gatordaze
12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
A bunch of people who live off Exit 339 of Interstate 35 in Bellmead, outsiders would call it Waco.
They are "Land Pirates"; whatever that means.
Their children attend LaVega High School; named for the man who had the original land grant during the Republic of Texas.

They generally have some the best fly overs at their football games with C-5's, C-17's and occasionally Air Force One and Marine One.

Yeah, so what is MODOC?

garciap77
12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Yeah, so what is MODOC?

A modoc pirate is a land pirate who fights on the land and not on the sea.

gatordaze
12-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

Is it an acronym, and indian tribe, is it all caps or Modoc? Do the land pirates ever play the land sharks?

DU_stud04
12-10-2008, 04:21 PM

With eight players going both ways, Scott said fatigue was the major factor in the decision to go for the win.

wow... prosper has 8 players going both ways? thats alot, used to seeing maybe 2-3 at most.

JR2004
12-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
wow... prosper has 8 players going both ways? thats alot, used to seeing maybe 2-3 at most.

Should be interesting to watch them play that many both ways this week.

Nursebetty
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Nursebetty here wishing the Pirates good luck! I know they will take this one. They gave Cuero a heavy dose of competition.....as we had not really saw much of that this season. This is La Vega's time to shine and bring home that shiny trophy.......3A Div. I State Champions!!!!!!!!!! :cheerl:

jambo67
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
If Prosper has that many players going both ways it makes me want to pick Prosper, I love it. That is so old school. Those kids have to be tougher than woodpecker lips and in shape! Prosper has a fighting chance.

Rabid Cougar
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

In REAL history Modoc is the name of an American Indian tribe in Northern Califonia/ Southern Oregon.

A coach at LaVega made up the story about the "land pirate" thing as a take off of the Odessa Permian "Mojo".

Lion_Addict
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Going with La Vega just cuz of the flashbacks I'm having from when we played 'em :eek: .

pirate4state
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
poll results 75-72 in favor of La Vega

i wish i could watch this game.

Pirate Mom
12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
In REAL history Modoc is the name of an American Indian tribe in Northern Califonia/ Southern Oregon.

A coach at LaVega made up the story about the "land pirate" thing as a take off of the Odessa Permian "Mojo".

You are correct that the Modoc are Native Americans...not sure why the coach chose that name, but the 'land pirate' story is what most of the LaVega Modocs have to say. I have looked into the history of the Modoc people and here's a short history...

The Modoc were a culturally detached and unique band of Native Americans along the border of California and Oregon. Occasionally they formed war parties to drive out unwelcome visitors or raid neighboring tribes. They faced great persecution as the white European Americans moved into their territory and forced them from their land. Their refusal to stay on the reservation and attempt to retake their land let to the Modoc war of 1872. After the war, some of the Modoc were moved to a reservation in Oklahoma. There they persevered through much more persecution and were a hard working people. The legacy of the Modoc people will always be one of pride, strength and an uncompromising desire to carry on. (History from the Modoc tribe)

Some of that sounds like some pretty good stuff for a mascot...especially for the LV football team, so I say we stick with it!

GO MODOC! HOORAH!

JR2004
12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
You are correct that the Modoc are Native Americans...not sure why the coach chose that name, but the 'land pirate' story is what most of the LaVega Modocs have to say. I have looked into the history of the Modoc people and here's a short history...

The Modoc were a culturally detached and unique band of Native Americans along the border of California and Oregon. Occasionally they formed war parties to drive out unwelcome visitors or raid neighboring tribes. They faced great persecution as the white European Americans moved into their territory and forced them from their land. Their refusal to stay on the reservation and attempt to retake their land let to the Modoc war of 1872. After the war, some of the Modoc were moved to a reservation in Oklahoma. There they persevered through much more persecution and were a hard working people. The legacy of the Modoc people will always be one of pride, strength and an uncompromising desire to carry on. (History from the Modoc tribe)

Some of that sounds like some pretty good stuff for a mascot...especially for the LV football team, so I say we stick with it!

GO MODOC! HOORAH!

HOORAH!

Budman007
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by OrangeChamps
From what I've seen from Prosper this year, their defense will be the big surprise of the game. At least for those that haven't seen them.

Prosper's D is very salty and they will battle til the very last second. Our Bridgeport Bulls were the only blemish on their record this season with a 37-31 win which was extremely hard earned.

Good luck to the Eagles from your 5-3A neighbors!

JR2004
12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
poll results 75-72 in favor of La Vega

i wish i could watch this game.

You could watch this game! The other one in the area is just a state semi-final match-up. This one is for a state title!

JR2004
12-12-2008, 03:38 AM
Well Prosper the DMN is showing you some love with 5 of the 6 writers picking y'all to win this week. Only Damon Sayles is picking MODOC to win.

3afan
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
their all big homers

trojan37
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Prosper's D won't stop Parr. No way, no how. LV brings home a state title this week.

trojan37
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Here's some info on LV.

LV roster (http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/stats/football/controller?Page=school_details&AltAction=&Nav=rosters&Sport=1&Season=7&School=208036&Player=&Schedule=)

stats (http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/stats/football/controller?Page=school_details&AltAction=&Nav=teamstats&Sport=1&Season=7&School=208036&Player=&Schedule=)

I don't know how accurate the stats are, obviously you will be able to tell by Parr's rushing stats.:confused:

eagle95
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
During Prosper's pep rally, Randy White came out and gave a pep speech to the football team. That dude is still ripped.

BILLYFRED0000
12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
During Prosper's pep rally, Randy White came out and gave a pep speech to the football team. That dude is still ripped.

Yeah he is somethin. One helluva football player in his day. They did not call him the Manster for nothing.

eagle95
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
BTW, thanks to the Celina folks who made the banner for Prosper. It was displayed at the Eagle pep rally. Said, "Good Luck Eagles, from the Bobcats"

ronwx5x
12-12-2008, 03:20 PM
BTW, thanks to the Celina folks who made the banner for Prosper. It was displayed at the Eagle pep rally. Said, "Good Luck Eagles, from the Bobcats"

Now that shows true class! Say what you want about Celina, we should all be as supportive of others as that team.

RPF2666
12-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Now that shows true class! Say what you want about Celina, we should all be as supportive of others as that team.

Just one of a long list of things this town does to support our neighbors. Good Luck Eagles....

eagle95
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I only hate Celina during 1 week of the football season and that's when Prosper plays them. For the past 8 years or so, I've been going to nearly every Celina playoff game if it's in the metroplex area. I'm sick because the Celina/LH game is at 5pm on Saturday and I won't be able to watch it. That's gonna be a helluva game.

Texas Cougar
12-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Good luck Pirates from China Spring.

LV 48
Prosper 20

slingshot
12-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Texas Cougar
Good luck Pirates from China Spring... ...and from Wylie. Go MODOC!

martwayne
12-12-2008, 06:46 PM
prosper ain't got a chance i'm trying to tell you la vega got a horse for a running back, chris parr i believe his name is, and just like my navasota rattlers if you dont stop him he will run all over ya'll

La vega 35
Prosper 20

Pirate Mom
12-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the well wishes Texas Cougar and slingshot! Nice to know we have Classy neighbors and opponents as well! Let's go get the gold Pirates! Hoorah!

trojan37
12-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the well wishes Texas Cougar and slingshot! Nice to know we have Classy neighbors and opponents as well! Let's go get the gold Pirates! Hoorah!

What about West? We're pulling for you. Now bring that title home MODOC!

SintonFan_inAustin
12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Good luck Land Pirates from the Sea Pirates :)

dont think i'll be making it, but i'll be keeping up with the updates here if i'm still here by the morning and not on the road to a game.

Lion_Addict
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Now, can you imagine how awesome that would feel as a kid getting ready to play in this big a game??!! Too kewl :clap:

RPF2666
12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Prosper is completely upsidedown over this! There is nothing like your first time at anything.

Bring it home Eagles...9-3A....Say what you want has proven itself yet again...

:clap:

jambo67
12-12-2008, 09:55 PM
For Prosper to win they have to have positive yardage on almost every first down. A second down with 2 or 3 to go on every series will be a must. That will give Prosper a play or two to make another first down and burn the clock. Plus Prosper will have to win the field position battle and keep the ball on LV's side of the field, the Prosper punter could be key to a win. Nix better deal the ball to everybody capable at just the right time and be very unpredictable. LeVaga is prepared for what they expect and will steamroll a known scheme. Mix it up and be unorthodox, you might see some LV helmets spin.

I think Prosper has a chance. LV has been duking it out every week, emotions and close games might take a toll and a dogfight every week of the play-offs could end a MODOC run. For some reason I think the Eagles are capable of mixing it up just enough to make good things happen. Not picking the Eagles as my favorite to win; just saying they are not the under-dog. Prosper can do this.

Modoc
12-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the support everyone.

Man, this still hasn't settled in yet. I can not believe that La Vega is playing for the state championship.

Trojan, you bringing the kolaches and Jerry's?

JR2004
12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Modoc
Thanks for the support everyone.

Man, this still hasn't settled in yet. I can not believe that La Vega is playing for the state championship.

Have a safe trip up and enjoy the game. I'll be out there with a couple of my friends watching all three games. We'll be sitting on y'alls side rooting for your MODOC Pirates to head back home in the evening with a state title!

charlesrixey
12-13-2008, 12:36 AM
I think Prosper has a chance. LV has been duking it out every week, emotions and close games might take a toll and a dogfight every week of the play-offs could end a MODOC run. For some reason I think the Eagles are capable of mixing it up just enough to make good things happen. Not picking the Eagles as my favorite to win; just saying they are not the under-dog. Prosper can do this.

didn't wylie beat la vega?

LA Vega is a great team, and parr is no doubt the best player on the field tomorrow.

but Prosper earned their way to 13-1

if parr goes buck wild, la vega wins by 17

if he doesn't, Prosper wins by 10

JR2004
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
didn't wylie beat la vega?

Wylie beat them 22-20 out in Abilene and it was without Parr. He did not play this season until the 2nd round game against Chapel Hill.

Parr is far from their only player on offense. They made it through 11 games without him. He's just the icing on the cake for MODOC.

RPF2666
12-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Why did Parr not play all season...not being from the area, and not wanting to go find out myself, why?

Come on
12-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by martwayne
prosper ain't got a chance i'm trying to tell you la vega got a horse for a running back, chris parr i believe his name is, and just like my navasota rattlers if you dont stop him he will run all over ya'll

La vega 35
Prosper 20

Prosper will win this one

Nursebetty
12-13-2008, 10:26 AM
HOORAH! Game day...WOW! Pirates will Dominate today! Hope there are safe travels to and from the game. Wish i could be there, but it's too far for me. So, there will be a GOBBLER from down South rooting for the PIRATES!!! GO PIRATES!

Rabid Cougar
12-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by RPF2666
Why did Parr not play all season...not being from the area, and not wanting to go find out myself, why?

He was a guest at the McLennan County Detention Center for a time period. Released and then cleared of wrong doing near the end of the regular season.

Orange Defense
12-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Did Prosper send a support banner to the Celina???

OldBison75
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
This game will not be as close as the polls seem to indicate. LaVega will pound the Prosper defense with the run and throw in a few passes and tricks to keep scoring. Prosper will have a problem in the passing game because of the wind and the running game will weaken as the game goes on. I think Lavega could build a lead in the first half, maybe 21-7, and then take over in the second half. Final Score: LaVega 42-Prosper 20.

slingshot
12-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Come on
Prosper will win this one Don't think so... if Prosper had trouble stopping our running game with our two top backs out with injuries--imagine what kind of problems they're gonna have with Parr and Co.???

Budman007
12-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Prosper will have a problem in the passing game because of the wind

Wind? Is'nt this game in Texas Stadium?

OldBison75
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Even in Texas Stadium the wind can be a factor. According to people that have played there, the wind swirls throughthe open roof and when high can cause the ball to do weird things. Never played there but that is what I hear.

44 Magnum
12-13-2008, 07:52 PM
There is a football god! Prosper wins!

BobcatBenny
12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Secondly, I would like to say, congratulations to the Prosper Eagles and the Eagles coaching staff.

Way to bring one home to 9-3A! :clap:

bobcat1
12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Bye Modoc! Nice run. Way to hang Prosper. I am happy you came back and beat Modoc.

eagles26
12-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Secondly, I would like to say, congratulations to the Prosper Eagles and the Eagles coaching staff.

Way to bring one home to 9-3A! :clap:

Now it's y'alls turn!! haha :D